Ebay Resolution Help

Found 7th Sep 2017
So, I sold a brand new pair of Sketchers flip flops. New, with tags, boxed etc (left it too late to return them).

Buyer emailed me with pictures and the actual strap on the flip flops had broken. They admitted that they put their foot in them, walked and then it broke (apparently after 5 mins). I rung eBay straight away and explained the situation, that they had been sold as described, new and the messages between me and the seller they had stated they had only broken after they had wore them and walked in them. eBay assured me not to worry, explained to let the seller open a case and they would review as they could see the messages between us and the buyer admitted they were fine when she got them.

So, guess what they ruled in the buyers favour and are now saying she should return them. I phone eBay and they said the minute I receive them back, the buyer will get a refund between two and 24 hours later. I had a large rant at eBay after being assured everything would be fine and they admitted they could see she had stated she had received them fine and they had broke after she had wore them.

They said once I get them back I can appeal if they are damaged by the buyer. I already know they are as she has sent me a picture which you can see below. It looks like they have forced their foot into it.

So has anyone ever appealed. eBay assured me that an appeal will be successful but then they also told me not to worry either! I did say I would refuse the item back and therefore if they can't prove it was received back to me they can't issue a refund and they said they would shut my account down - which I'm not bothered about!

Any advice?

2783891-NXnFw.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
If the flip flop was on the other foot you'd want a refund.
21 Comments
Personally... I would accept I was at fault, the buyer has to send the item back to you via recorded delivery, once received I would get in touch with where you bought the flip flops to get a refund as they've broken regardless.
Depends how long you've had the flip flops already tho
If the flip flop was on the other foot you'd want a refund.
My argument is though how do I know they broke after 5 mins. She has removed all the tags and stickers and didn't contact me until more than 24 hours after the parcel had been signed for. I can't return as I had them for longer than the return/exchange period.

There was no evidence they were defective.
rachelandgromit2 m ago

My argument is though how do I know they broke after 5 mins. She has …My argument is though how do I know they broke after 5 mins. She has removed all the tags and stickers and didn't contact me until more than 24 hours after the parcel had been signed for. I can't return as I had them for longer than the return/exchange period.There was no evidence they were defective.

I can totally understand your frustration, However they might be telling the truth, You have to give them the benefit of the doubt.
As said by others I'd return them, if they are under a year old they can still be returned I assume?
Ebay are useless, don't listen to anything they say. One advisor will tell you one thing and the another something different. Most of the time the messages they send are generic.

If you initially bought them from a good retailer/retailer then you can return them as not fit for purpose, as you would expect them to last a lot longer than 5 mins. Any reasonable person would expect them to last at least a year, maybe more - so any time during that period if they break they are not fit for purpose.

which.co.uk/con…act
Edited by: "jambone" 7th Sep 2017
As per post 2.

If you don't accept a return and a case goes against you (they nearly always do). Then the buyer will be told to dispose of the item and eBay will refund from your funds. Not only that but the eBay fees you paid in selling the item will not be refunded and neither will the Paypal fees.

You will have to pay for the return. I suggest you use Hermes or someone cheap with tracking.

If you refuse the parcel when it is returned, eBay will still refund. They only need to show attempted delivery (and if you show refusal the buyer can get the refund immediately from Live Chat or by phoning CS).

How long ago did you purchase the flip flops? If less than 6 months you can take them back and it is assumed they were inherently faulty. If longer than 6 months it is for you to show they were inherently faulty.
Ebay have told the buyer to return them at their cost not mine.

I'll have to wait for them back and go from there. Yes they were from an outlet, Cheshire Oaks and no, not sold as seconds. I'll have to try and take them back to the store again.
Edited by: "rachelandgromit" 7th Sep 2017
eBay always rule in favor of the buyer. Regardless of message history.
Get them back. Take back to store and claim they broke on your foot and are defective.
You left it too late for a 30 day change mind refund but not a 12 month defective show refund.
Worth a try
Not sure if it's been mentioned as these comments are massive! Lol but I'd take it back to the shop where I bought them.. even if you don't have a receipt try get a bank statement. They should refund them as they are faulty, they will see that there isn't much wear on them so is a fault with the strapping! I'd bite the bullet also with eBay as they always always always rule with the buyer! Plus Iv found if the buyer wanted a refund and you decline it and they have to refund the buyer... you will still have to pay the final value fee! Terrible!
Item not fit for purpose. Buyer entitled to a refund.
rachelandgromit49 m ago

Ebay have told the buyer to return them at their cost not mine.I'll have …Ebay have told the buyer to return them at their cost not mine.I'll have to wait for them back and go from there. Yes they were from an outlet, Cheshire Oaks and no, not sold as seconds. I'll have to try and take them back to the store again.

Then they must have opened a return for the incorrect reason. When a return is opened it gives the buyer a few options to select for reasons for return.

Something defective would mean the seller pays the return.

Have you looked at the case to see the "reason" ebay give for it being open?

Edit:
I've read your OP again and it seems the buyer opened the case and won. In that case, you are very lucky to be getting them back but the buyer won't be paying. Ebay will provide a label and bill you for it.
Edited by: "windym" 7th Sep 2017
rachelandgromit2 h, 11 m ago

My argument is though how do I know they broke after 5 mins. She has …My argument is though how do I know they broke after 5 mins. She has removed all the tags and stickers and didn't contact me until more than 24 hours after the parcel had been signed for. I can't return as I had them for longer than the return/exchange period.There was no evidence they were defective.

You can't. Same as if you went back to a shop with the same version of events. You as the buyer would expect a refund, where as the shop would not be able to prove one way or the other if you were telling the truth.
Return them to the original seller - they are not fit for purpose. I did this with a faulty item I bought from M&S. I arranged for the buyer to receive a replacement from their local M&S.
If the shop isn't helpful speak to skechers themselves. I was gifted a mia tui bag and within a couple of weeks all the stitching started coming away. I emailed them saying I expected it to last longer and even though I didn't purchase it they sent me out a new one. Have to say great customer service from them.
Btw sketchers have a year gurantee on there products so you may be able to return them for another
Had something similar just a few weeks back. Sold a cooker hood that was in perfect condition , however the buyer decided to let me know 7 days after receiving it that it was damaged. There was a small dent in it, but in Part of the item that wouldn't be visible, and also extremely manipulative metal, she wouldn't try and bend it back and just kept saying "item not as described". She wouldn't cooperate at all, and eBay were an absolute joke. Luckily I got compensation from the courier. I will never sell with eBay again, as once this happens to you, you have to pay return postage for the buyer, still pay final value fees and PayPal fees once the item is returned to you. Meaning you've received an item back that you can't sell, and have paid a significant sum in fees and postage that you won't get back. Sell on gumtree in future. Much easier.
If the eBay listing stated the item is New, it is acceptable for the Buyer to get their money back if the item breaks within a short amount of time and provided they have used the item in the manner it was intended for. Unfortunately you only have the buyer's word that he/she used it correctly. The picture doesn't show any evidence of abuse.

Since you also bought the item recently, you should go back to the original seller you bought the item from and complain about the low quality of the item. You are entitled to a refund, repair or replacement.

rachelandgromit23 h, 3 m ago

Edited by: "dush_yant" 8th Sep 2017
Hi, after selling on eBay since 2003 and been doomed to lose in many cases. My advise to you is that as you're not a business seller, selling only your unwanted items, you're not by eBay rules obliged to accept return. So from not on, make sure your return is turned off or stating returns not accepted. Unfortunately eBay won't honour their words to you, the seller, it's nearly always, 99.99% of the time, they are in favour of the buyer.

Funny enough I have just got in a huge headache for a £3150 part which I stated clearly what it is and the photos spoke for themselves. The material and colour is clearly stated too but the buyer firstly claimed he received he wrong colour, then he stated he received the wrong material and then he claimed the parts are as described but it's scratched... then after all that headache he's not demanding £500 discount!

Clearly a customer who's abusing policy but guess what, he and everyone like him get away.

Sorry to say that but as it's only a pair of sandals, let them have it and learn from the experience.

Btw thanks for all the wonderful holiday and flight deals you post here, I'm a subscribed fan x
masliya5 m ago

Hi, after selling on eBay since 2003 and been doomed to lose in many …Hi, after selling on eBay since 2003 and been doomed to lose in many cases. My advise to you is that as you're not a business seller, selling only your unwanted items, you're not by eBay rules obliged to accept return. So from not on, make sure your return is turned off or stating returns not accepted. Unfortunately eBay won't honour their words to you, the seller, it's nearly always, 99.99% of the time, they are in favour of the buyer. Funny enough I have just got in a huge headache for a £3150 part which I stated clearly what it is and the photos spoke for themselves. The material and colour is clearly stated too but the buyer firstly claimed he received he wrong colour, then he stated he received the wrong material and then he claimed the parts are as described but it's scratched... then after all that headache he's not demanding £500 discount! Clearly a customer who's abusing policy but guess what, he and everyone like him get away. Sorry to say that but as it's only a pair of sandals, let them have it and learn from the experience. Btw thanks for all the wonderful holiday and flight deals you post here, I'm a subscribed fan x

Please stop giving out false information. If someone opens a case against you REGARDLESS of being a business seller or not, and they claim item is defective or not as described you are absolutely 100 percent liable in eBay's eyes and HAVE to accept the return. eBay always protect the buyer. This isn't new, forums date back to the early 00's saying eBay are useless at protecting sellers. If someone is aware of their rights and willing to abuse them in some cases, there is nothing you can do about it.
rachelandgromit7th Sep

Ebay have told the buyer to return them at their cost not mine.I'll have …Ebay have told the buyer to return them at their cost not mine.I'll have to wait for them back and go from there. Yes they were from an outlet, Cheshire Oaks and no, not sold as seconds. I'll have to try and take them back to the store again.

If something hasn't lasted long enough, you're within your rights for a refund even past the return date.

I have taken shoes back after 2 months when the heel has broken and been given a refund. I've also taken a suit back 6 months after buying it because the rubbing of arms causes bobbles.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants