eBay return - buyer hasn't returned item but case only gives option to refund

Posted 24th Jul
I sold an item on eBay that was delivered on 16th Jun. The buyer opened a case on the 17th Jun saying they'd ordered it by mistake and wanted to return it. I put on the listing that I did not accept returns and could have just declined the return request but rather than risk bad feedback I just accepted the return figuring I would resell it when it came back.

The case never advanced from "return started". The buyer provided no tracking information and I haven't received the item back. The case originally said if they did not return the item it would automatically close out on 16th July. 16th came and went and it didn't close out but today I have received an email off eBay saying "<buyerid> indicated that they posted their return. The item should

now be delivered and once you've received it, please issue the buyer

with a refund by 28 Jul, 2020."

If I click into the case the only option is issue a refund or report a problem (with sub options of buyer returned wrong item or item is damaged etc.) If I click on see details there are no entries in the case after "return started" and no indication or tracking info to say they returned it.

What should I do? I am loathe to refund the item having not received it back. I guess if I don't issue the refund it will automatically refund the buyer on 28th?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I had something similar recently. Buyer didn't send the item back in time and ebay hadn't closed the return.
I contacted ebay - there's a link somewhere where they will call you back.

Once i explained to them them that return time had lapsed the CS quickly closed the return and refunded me my unused postage return label.

As yours has also lapsed i would get in touch with them and explain that the original return date has lapsed regardless of whether the buyer has now sent the item back or not.

You might find that ebay realise its their own mistake and refund the buyer but also allow you to keep your money too.
9 Comments
Contact eBay. If they're claiming delivery then there has to be proof. I had a return case opened where the buyer didn't return the item and the case automatically closed, so this doesn't make a lot of sense.
I had something similar recently. Buyer didn't send the item back in time and ebay hadn't closed the return.
I contacted ebay - there's a link somewhere where they will call you back.

Once i explained to them them that return time had lapsed the CS quickly closed the return and refunded me my unused postage return label.

As yours has also lapsed i would get in touch with them and explain that the original return date has lapsed regardless of whether the buyer has now sent the item back or not.

You might find that ebay realise its their own mistake and refund the buyer but also allow you to keep your money too.
ash13224/07/2020 11:13

I had something similar recently. Buyer didn't send the item back in time …I had something similar recently. Buyer didn't send the item back in time and ebay hadn't closed the return.I contacted ebay - there's a link somewhere where they will call you back.Once i explained to them them that return time had lapsed the CS quickly closed the return and refunded me my unused postage return label.As yours has also lapsed i would get in touch with them and explain that the original return date has lapsed regardless of whether the buyer has now sent the item back or not.You might find that ebay realise its their own mistake and refund the buyer but also allow you to keep your money too.

Thanks, I will contact eBay then.
ScubaDudes24/07/2020 10:48

Comment deleted

Sorry if my post wasn't clear, it was a bit long. They opened the return request 5 weeks ago. I have not received the item back but the status on the selling overview page says "You've received the item. Refund buyer by 28 Jul." It is acting as if there is tracking to show they sent it back, which there isn't, and nothing in the case history after "You provided return information".
I haven't been able to contact eBay as their "Ask us to call you" thing just says "This contact method is temporarily unavailable". I phoned their 0345 number and it's just a recorded message saying to visit the help pages.
Use the live chat option, the call back option displays occasionally.
kman001324/07/2020 16:51

Use the live chat option, the call back option displays occasionally.

Thanks, the call back option actually appeared when I tried it again (despite trying a dozen times earlier today!) Spoke to a CS rep who opened a case for it and closed it in my favour as "the buyer did not return the item to you within the required time frame". The funds are now off hold and available in my PayPal.
akdeal24/07/2020 17:34

Thanks, the call back option actually appeared when I tried it again …Thanks, the call back option actually appeared when I tried it again (despite trying a dozen times earlier today!) Spoke to a CS rep who opened a case for it and closed it in my favour as "the buyer did not return the item to you within the required time frame". The funds are now off hold and available in my PayPal.

Well done. Pleased you didn't get shafted. This sort of thing is very stressful so must be a great relief.
Ebay do like to 'pigeonhole' the buying and return process, they really don't cater for situations like this. I suspect most take the hit due to the difficulty dealing with their customer service but if you persevere they can usually resolve.
Edited by: "adam.mt" 25th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants