Ebay return postage fees

Found 7th Mar 2016
I bought a watch on ebay for my son and unfortunately it was not as described. The seller has sold thousands of watches and immediately agreed to a full refund as offered in the listing. Now I've come to return the item and eBay have sent me a message asking me to click on a link to download and print a return label. However it then has the following warning 'You'll be charged £2.99 through PayPal if you use this return label'. I don't want to pay the postage and wondered if I have to or can I send it back by 1st class mail. Is the warning sign always on such return labels and the seller still pays the postage?
Also, if I do send it back by mail how do I show status of item returned on eBay
Hope that makes sense.
Thanks in advance
Community Updates
12 Comments
I've a similar problem, I bought a game with a download code, the code has been used which makes the game worthless, I emailed the seller, he said it was ok to return it to him, I then told him he would be paying for the return postage, he agreed,
But I would say if any item sold and shipped is not as described you should not be out of pocket, but would ship it recorded delivery!
Pretty sure you have to pay postage for returns.

Whilst a good seller would reimburse you for the return postage, there's nothing in place to force them to do so.
If you open a not as deceived case against them, eBay will then charge them the cost and you just print the label
If you open a not as deceived case against them, eBay will then charge them the cost and you just print the label
_Leanne_

If you open a not as deceived case against them, eBay will then charge … If you open a not as deceived case against them, eBay will then charge them the cost and you just print the label

Described
I think all business sellers have to pay for postage if item is not as described.
Original Poster
The watch was only £9.99 it's the warning regarding the £2.99 postage I'm more concerned about. Do you think it's a warning that is always shown or is it specific to the person returning the item?
I'm happy to return it by 1st class mail but how do I then change the eBay status to item returned to seller?
Toptrumpet

The watch was only £9.99 it's the warning regarding the £2.99 postage I'm … The watch was only £9.99 it's the warning regarding the £2.99 postage I'm more concerned about. Do you think it's a warning that is always shown or is it specific to the person returning the item? I'm happy to return it by 1st class mail but how do I then change the eBay status to item returned to seller?

Ask the seller if they will be refunding the £2.99 return postage - if not, open a case with ebay. You will get the return postage back, so it will probably be easier to just use their label.
Original Poster
I'm going to use ebay's return label and if I get charged the £2.99 so be it. It's going to cost me nearly £1 to send it by Royal Mail. At least eBay will know I've sent it back.
Thanks everyone for your help.
You could ask them to send you a pre-paid envelope.
Original Poster
I printed off the eBay return label (which was Royal Mail) and then added the tracking no. On the next screen.
It then came up with a message that eBay will now contact the seller to let them know the return is on it's way. It didn't ask for payment of the £2.99 and the return label shows postage on account.
Perhaps I was worrying over nothing and the payment warning is automatically shown.
Thanks everyone once again for your suggestions. I know I can rely on fellow Hukkers for advice.
Original Poster
Can someone expire this for me please
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants