Groups

eBay returns

Buyer has returned the wrong item but has put a tracking number showing I have received the return. eBay has refunded the buyer. What to do?

18 Comments

Original Poster

She sent a card to me instead of £80 item.

Original Poster

eBay says tracking number shows item has been delivered.

Phone eBay and inform them, they say they will contact the fraud department and I'm sure eBay will refund you.

Contact the buyer, may be a genuine mistake, if no response or it isn't then keep all the packaging and contact eBay.

I'm afraid u can't do much maybe try photograph the packaging if it's just a small box or there's any weights on the packaging postage costs can show its not the same weight as u sent that's all I can think of.if ur item was bigger then it may work.

The item weight would be the best way of proving it.. That's if you have a receipt saying what it weighed when you posted it and the stamp on the returned item should hopefully say the weight.

If there is a significant difference that is.
    Edited by: "winifer" 16th Mar

I agree with MyNameisM, put a claim through now, you'll be able to prove this by weight and postage paid.

I suggest not contacting the seller at this stage and let ebay step in

What was the item you sold as even if you don't know the original weight you may be able to find it online or approximate

winifer

The item weight would be the best way of proving it.. That's if you have … The item weight would be the best way of proving it.. That's if you have a receipt saying what it weighed when you posted it and the stamp on the returned item should hopefully say the weight.If there is a significant difference that is.

I guess it depends if the buyer organised the return or Ebay, if Ebay provided a label I'm not sure if Ebay pre-paid labels have weights on them does anybody know just out of interest?

deb8z

I guess it depends if the buyer organised the return or Ebay, if Ebay … I guess it depends if the buyer organised the return or Ebay, if Ebay provided a label I'm not sure if Ebay pre-paid labels have weights on them does anybody know just out of interest?

If it's the Royal Mail Tracked return which Ebay issue then no, there aren't any weights recorded.

Op. I would photograph the packaging showing the label clearly. Without knowing what your item was, it's difficult to know if it could be returned in the same sort of packaging.

I would report it to Action Fraud - a quick form online and get a reference number.
    When you've done this, phone ebay and appeal the decision. Ask them to view the photos you have and give them the Action Fraud number. I would also use the report a buyer function on ebay.

In the meantime, I would send a message to the buyer explaining that the item which has been returned is abc and not the item she should have returned. Explain that the matter has been reported to both ebay and Action Fraud. Advise her that you will be reclaiming the cost of the item and refund that Ebay has forced from her via the Small Claims Court.

If you get no response in 24 hours, send her an LBA (letter before action) and that may be enough to scare her into returning the item.

Original Poster

Thanks for all your help

This is one of the reasons I don't bother selling on eBay.

Sure I have heard about this scam that people do on purpose. I suppose that leaves you the difficult task of proving what was returned. Hope you get it sorted.

how big was ur item vs the return package even if it was similar size I know it's wrong but u may aswell play the same game and stick it onto a smaller package and send that as proof if the is no wieghts prices involved in it.

Good luck, but in my experience, the last 2 returns i had sent back,had things missing and the items that were returned were as described. I took pictures, and even recordered everything, but ebay were not interested and ruled in buyers favour. Shocking. Lost all my faith in ebay recently.

Yeah, I had a scammer send me a token by registered mail then try to claim the item had been delivered. Luckily the postman delivered while I was out and didn't get a signature. But Ebay seem to assume that proof of delivery means that the correct item has been sent and then it is up to you to prove otherwise.

threaten legal action

always works

Original Poster

Thanks for your help. I managed to get my money back by sending all the proof to eBay.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. One for the mathmaticians2745
      2. word association Game74044577
      3. GIVEAWAY - Clear out of duplicate CD Keys from Humble Bundle I have yet to …11
      4. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery1526

See more discussions