ebay returns help

Posted 11th Jan
What happens when someone wants to return something on ebay and the seller puts no refunds in the listing?

I sold an item that worked perfectly, and now the buyer says (4 days after delivery) that it's broken and wants a refund. ebay wants me to pay the postage too and it's quite heavy so it will be £20 postage (and I already paid £20 to post it to them).

I had a no returns policy in all my listings. The item was fine when it was posted out (ok yes it's possible it got damaged in transit but it was in proper original packaging so I doubt it)

What should I do ? just bite the bullet and pay the postage and get it returned to me ? What if the buyer broke it and claims it was like that when they received it and now i have to pay postage and get a damaged item in return ?

It seems really unfair on me, I've been an ebayer for 10 years and never had a single item returned until now. I suppose it's also unfair if the buyer buys it and it was damaged in transit sure ... but from my perspective ... i sold a working item , and im going to get back a broken one and I had to pay two lots of postage.
Community Updates
Misc
25 Comments
Not a lot you can do but ask the buyer to send a photo of the damage if that is feasible.
When you get it back, video yourself opening the packaging in case that helps.
You probably just have to take it on the chin.
PeacePipe11/01/2020 12:08

Not a lot you can do but ask the buyer to send a photo of the damage if …Not a lot you can do but ask the buyer to send a photo of the damage if that is feasible.When you get it back, video yourself opening the packaging in case that helps. You probably just have to take it on the chin.

So yeah I asked the buyer to video the evidence of it not working and they said they are not going to use the item on their computer (it's a monitor) because it "may damage my computer" and they were advised by some computer technician that it would damage their computer if they used it (again, how can plugging in a monitor damage your computer???!)
.. i mean the whole thing just stinks to me. Something odd is going on and ebay seem to not care that this person says these things and they appear to be siding with the buyer.
If it's got damaged in transit haven't you got a claim against the delivery company if that's the case best get in to it asap as some have small claims wibdiws. If it's useless as broken o point getting it posted back telll them send you photographic evidence and save the item till your claim with the delivery company has been sorted out.
MynameisM11/01/2020 12:19

If it's got damaged in transit haven't you got a claim against the …If it's got damaged in transit haven't you got a claim against the delivery company if that's the case best get in to it asap as some have small claims wibdiws. If it's useless as broken o point getting it posted back telll them send you photographic evidence and save the item till your claim with the delivery company has been sorted out.

thanks yeah i guess ill have to do that, but it's going to be difficult to prove it was broken in transit as apparently there is no physical damage that you can see with your eyes according to the buyer. Also, the item is 5 years old and I no longer have the receipt ... will that matter if I claim on the courier?
There's nothing you can do. Stating "no returns" on ebay means absolutely nothing. Proving they broke it is virtually impossible.

Buyers have 6 months to lodge claims. So effectively, everything you sell on ebay has 6 months warranty.

If you don't accept the return AND pay return postage, ebay can and will deduct the money from your paypal and the buyer keeps the item.

In future, if you don't like the risks of ebay, do not use its platform. It hugely favours the buyer.

Every now and again I get the odd scammer. Even for a £2 digital item that was emailed to them, buyer still claimed they hadn't received. Another one bought a £19 item, received it, said it didn't work and returned his faulty one (not the one originally sent) he took the sticker off mine and super glued it to his one, all the glue running out the sides, this buyer had a shop and was making £1000s a month. Its the sad world we live in today.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 11th Jan
leffeblonde11/01/2020 12:20

thanks yeah i guess ill have to do that, but it's going to be difficult to …thanks yeah i guess ill have to do that, but it's going to be difficult to prove it was broken in transit as apparently there is no physical damage that you can see with your eyes according to the buyer. Also, the item is 5 years old and I no longer have the receipt ... will that matter if I claim on the courier?

The age shouldn't matter, but ask the guy for the report from the shop he has been too. His computer probably isn't set-up or compatible with your monitor and he's just making stuff up. I bought a new of and it wouldn't work with my monitor, I spent ages as had 2 monitors changing the settings etc. Too get it too work with the monitor I thought the cable was faulty or monitor was too old.but eventually got it sorted can't remember what I did too the settings know.
Keep it civil even if they start being uncivil and clearly are lying as that can go in your favour.
thanks for the advice everyone, i've accepted the buyer's return request. guess ill have to see what options i have with the courier but it's also unfair if i claim on the courier but it was the buyer who broke it... not sure how ill prove either of those outcomes. But given the cost of this one i think ill stick to buying instead of selling this has put me right off ebay selling now.
What item is it? Is it something that the buyer could have bought with the intention of switching for a faulty one they had of their own, does yours have anything that you could use to identify it as the one you sold? ie a record of the serial number? When selling electrical items I always list with a photo including the serial number as it lets them know you have a record of it.

Edit just seen is a monitor, a lot of couriers specifically exclude TVs and Monitors from their protection/insurance as the screens are easily damaged if not packed correctly.
Edited by: "harlzter" 11th Jan
Sorry to hear this and it sounds as though the buyer is pulling a fast one. If they’ve been to a repair centre you have to ask why and why didn’t they contact you sooner if it wasn’t working? May I ask what was the value of the item? If it’s damage what’s your plans when you get it back? It may be worth just refunding and saving yourself the £20 return postage as eBay will side with the buyer if they log a claim.
Depending on which courier you used you will probably find that you are not covered for the monitor.

myhermes Non Compensation items
They were advised by some technician I call bs. What is the actual problem they are claiming?
Like others I smell BS.
Whether it would ever help or not. I always state that serial numbers are recorded on listings. A bit like a house alarm, it won’t stop dodgy buyers but they may move on to softer targets.
If the monitor is 5 years old and now broken, ask for proof of the damage. Even powered on with no PC connected the on screen menu will light it up a bit.
harlzter11/01/2020 13:10

What item is it? Is it something that the buyer could have bought with the …What item is it? Is it something that the buyer could have bought with the intention of switching for a faulty one they had of their own, does yours have anything that you could use to identify it as the one you sold? ie a record of the serial number? When selling electrical items I always list with a photo including the serial number as it lets them know you have a record of it.Edit just seen is a monitor, a lot of couriers specifically exclude TVs and Monitors from their protection/insurance as the screens are easily damaged if not packed correctly.

yes monitor. I went with parcelforce because parcel2go wont cover monitors no matter which courier you use. I said it was a monitor in the description box and it didn't say i can't send it.

I've recorded the serial number of the monitor so ill see if they try to swap it.

MrWalle11/01/2020 13:13

Sorry to hear this and it sounds as though the buyer is pulling a fast …Sorry to hear this and it sounds as though the buyer is pulling a fast one. If they’ve been to a repair centre you have to ask why and why didn’t they contact you sooner if it wasn’t working? May I ask what was the value of the item? If it’s damage what’s your plans when you get it back? It may be worth just refunding and saving yourself the £20 return postage as eBay will side with the buyer if they log a claim.

I sold it for £100 and insured it with the courier for the same amount. I've sent the buyer a return label, i'll just have to see what it's like when I get it back now i suppose.

MR112311/01/2020 13:41

They were advised by some technician I call bs. What is the actual problem …They were advised by some technician I call bs. What is the actual problem they are claiming?

Indeed. They're claiming they had to take it to a technician (why would you? wouldn't you just return it immediately?) they're claiming it turns on OK but then after some time it turns itself off again. They refuse to provide proof in the form of a video because they claim that this supposed technician told them it could damage their computer if they connect it (yeah I smell a rat too) I have asked that they provide a letter or email from this supposed technician stating their name and company and what they advised the buyer... we will see if anything comes of that one!

Oneday7711/01/2020 13:46

Like others I smell BS. Whether it would ever help or not. I always state …Like others I smell BS. Whether it would ever help or not. I always state that serial numbers are recorded on listings. A bit like a house alarm, it won’t stop dodgy buyers but they may move on to softer targets. If the monitor is 5 years old and now broken, ask for proof of the damage. Even powered on with no PC connected the on screen menu will light it up a bit.

yep I've recorded it if they try to pull a fast one and return a different monitor ill be having a word with the police I think.
Edited by: "leffeblonde" 11th Jan
Unfortunately that's ebay! Learn your lesson and never sell anything large, easily breakable or of value on ebay
J4GG411/01/2020 12:23

...Buyers have 6 months to lodge claims. So effectively, everything you …...Buyers have 6 months to lodge claims. So effectively, everything you sell on ebay has 6 months warranty...

If the 6 months you refer to is for PayPal claims, PayPal is unlikely to assist a buyer for a period significantly after receipt, especially if sourced from a private seller, and will definitely not assist if the word "warranty" is used. Merchants that are recognisable businesses may have extended standard consumer obligations to fulfill.
AndyRoyd11/01/2020 14:25

If the 6 months you refer to is for PayPal claims, PayPal is unlikely to …If the 6 months you refer to is for PayPal claims, PayPal is unlikely to assist a buyer for a period significantly after receipt, especially if sourced from a private seller, and will definitely not assist if the word "warranty" is used. Merchants that are recognisable businesses may have extended standard consumer obligations to fulfill.

You are wrong because ive been there and done that.
Why would they offer the ability to open a claim within 180 days if what you say is true. Makes zero sense.
J4GG411/01/2020 14:28

You are wrong because ive been there and done that.Why would they offer …You are wrong because ive been there and done that.Why would they offer the ability to open a claim within 180 days if what you say is true. Makes zero sense.

If you have managed to bypass PP t&c then all good. A shrewd seller would simply quote PPs own t&c back to PP to avoid providing warranty-related obligations that PP states it does not support.
PP provides two "protection" options to buyers: INR & SNAD, where PP summarises its INR & SNAD t&c in plain language as:
"...entitles you to reimbursement for the full purchase price of the item plus the original shipping costs you paid, if any, when you don’t receive your item from a seller, or when you receive an item, but the item isn’t what you ordered..."
and additionally
"...PayPal cannot assist you with filing or enforcing a warranty claim with your seller or the original manufacturer."
paypal.com/uk/…ity
and where the actual t&c wording is buried in the dull PP legal pages.
Have you contacted eBay with regards your suspicion the seller is pulling a fast one. They’d be able to check the account to see if they have a habit of this type of behaviour.
Edited by: "MrWalle" 11th Jan
MrWalle11/01/2020 15:20

Have you contacted eBay with regards your suspension...

Excellent Freudian.
Suck it up buttercup
All the OP can wish for now is that they have buyers remorse and it arrives back fully working. Fingers crossed!
Edited by: "karlypants" 11th Jan
If they say it's broke, you'll have to accept a return and refund the buyer. I don't think there's any escape. Regarding you paying the return postage, I dunno if anyone has mentioned it, but you could always ask the buyer to use the free returns service by Paypal (although I think it has a £15 limit so I'm not exactly sure if it will work). If he's an honest buyer he will most likely try to help you minimise your losses.
Edited by: "deeky" 11th Jan
Tell them you have recorded the serial number and have informed eBay that you will be expecting the correct monitor in return. See what they say to that. Just to ensure they are not trying to return a different, broken one
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants