Ebay - Royal Mail Tracking Fake ?

Posted 28th Jul
Hi All,

This is a new one for me on ebay, wondering if its ever been done to anyone else before.

Bought an item from ebay on Friday Night, Buyer says they will post it out on Monday Second Class. Today got a notification from Ebay saying parcel had been delivered.
Now its not signed for tracking, its just normal tracking, which does not make sense to me.

So here's the odd part, so the tracking number on ebay, links over to Royal Mail, and it confirms the item was delivered today, but it says by Glasgow DO.
Well I don't live in Glasgow, I live in London.

I contacted the buyer and they said they don't believe me as they said the tracking confirms it was delivered. I mean it was , but not to me.

If I go to ebay and try to open an item not received , it keeps saying that the tracking number provided confirms I have received the item today.
The only way I can show I had not received it was that it was delivery was made by Glasgow DO, but the tracking info does not show a delivery address.
And it also never shows the parcel being dropped off at any post office at all.

Any thoughts ?
Many thanks for any input.
Community Updates
Misc
12 Comments
Think this would probably be Royal Mail second class small parcel using the 2D barcode for tracking which just shows when it is delivered.

The seller could have put the wrong tracking number for your sale (could have mixed it up with another sale to a different buyer), or the address they sent it to was in Glasgow.

Have you checked with the seller what address they sent your item to? (you have also put "I contacted the buyer" instead of seller in your OP)
Have you sent a screenshot to the seller so they can see what the tracking says for you.

Then do the same and send the screenshot to eBay I'd you don't have any luck with the seller.
Does sound a bit weird. Even if he did post it to you second class on Monday it would not have arrived today. Best off phoning ebay as it's a bit strange that ebay are saying that a non-tracked item has been delivered anyway
NCIS28/07/2020 15:59

Think this would probably be Royal Mail second class small parcel using …Think this would probably be Royal Mail second class small parcel using the 2D barcode for tracking which just shows when it is delivered.The seller could have put the wrong tracking number for your sale (could have mixed it up with another sale to a different buyer), or the address they sent it to was in Glasgow.Have you checked with the seller what address they sent your item to? (you have also put "I contacted the buyer" instead of seller in your OP)

Yes I asked them if they could show me the proof of posting to my address, which I know you get from the post office.
The item was too large to fit in a postbox of any kind, and they just said it was sent to my address.

It would have been the 2D bar code for a small parcel, as when I called royal mail, it says tracking was not available for it, which is odd that it tracks on the website.

I will give ebay another call on it, maybe I will get someone more useful.
His used a different tracking number for your parcel. Might have even been his parcel and used that!
I have had parcels that have been quoted as delivered but like your situation, to a totally different town, ask the seller to check the tracking number and ask them if they sold anything to someone in Glasgow... But at least ebay can clearly see the item has gone to the wrong town... I would wait until Thursday, due to 2nd class post.

If all else fails contact PayPal.

But a phone call or a item not arrived claim online to eBay should do the trick

When opening the claim have a screen shot to add to your claim showing the Royal mail site with the item clearly showed as delivered but to completely the wrong address.
Just.Wondering28/07/2020 16:20

I have had parcels that have been quoted as delivered but like your …I have had parcels that have been quoted as delivered but like your situation, to a totally different town, ask the seller to check the tracking number and ask them if they sold anything to someone in Glasgow... But at least ebay can clearly see the item has gone to the wrong town... I would wait until Thursday, due to 2nd class post.If all else fails contact PayPal. But a phone call or a item not arrived claim online to eBay should do the trickWhen opening the claim have a screen shot to add to your claim showing the Royal mail site with the item clearly showed as delivered but to completely the wrong address.

Thanks. I just got off the phone with Ebay again.
They manually opened the case from a phone call and reviewed the tracking information provided by Royal Mail.

They also thought it was strange that a standard 2nd class small parcel showed on the Royal Mail Tracking service with delivery information, but no recorded drop off at any post office.

They opened an item not received case and asked the seller for the proof of postage from the post office to my address.
Though they did confirm that the tracking shows delivery to Scotland.

So if the seller does somehow provided a proof of posting showing that tracking number to my address, then at least I have something showing it was not received to my address.

A shame, I really wanted this item.
It just sounds like the seller has got his tracking numbers mixed up, it's easy to do if you post a few parcels at once and just get one receipt with several tracking numbers on. Anyway you bought the item on Friday and it's only Monday now, just wait a few more days and see if your parcel turns up.
Haircut_10028/07/2020 16:26

It just sounds like the seller has got his tracking numbers mixed up, it's …It just sounds like the seller has got his tracking numbers mixed up, it's easy to do if you post a few parcels at once and just get one receipt with several tracking numbers on. Anyway you bought the item on Friday and it's only Monday now, just wait a few more days and see if your parcel turns up.

I always check out sellers before I buy items from them.
The item I bought from them was the only item they were selling.

So I would be surprised if they mixed it up.

If the seller is honest, they just need to provide the correct proof of posting. If I actually receive the item, I will just close the case.
If its not a big seller, they could have done it to get their funds released with a different number and you'll get your non tracked item later
Haircut_10028/07/2020 16:26

It just sounds like the seller has got his tracking numbers mixed up, it's …It just sounds like the seller has got his tracking numbers mixed up, it's easy to do if you post a few parcels at once and just get one receipt with several tracking numbers on. Anyway you bought the item on Friday and it's only Monday now, just wait a few more days and see if your parcel turns up.

you live 24 hours in the past?
As a above , I always send 2nd class parcel and if you put the long code in it actually comes up as delivered on eBay when it’s been delivered
Post a comment
@
    Text