Ebay Scam? Item signed for but never turned up! Dodgy signiture and VERY iffy tracking....

Found 27th Jul 2011
Hi all

I was hoping someone would be able to give me some advice on this.

I recently won and paid for an item on Ebay via Paypal echeque (over £1300). After my money had cleared through paypal, I gave the seller a few days then asked if he has posted it, to which he replied yes and gave me a tracking number. All good… However when I checked the tracking number it said it had been delivered, I looked at the signature it was not mine nor was it the family member with whom I live…

I live in London and the item was coming from outside London (let’s say Derby just for the sake of it), the tracking said ‘ Parcel delivered at XX time from our DERBY delivery office. This rang alarm bells, because no postman is going to walk a route of over 100 miles and I had another item which I bought from ebay delivered on the same alleged day using the same royal mail method (and from outside London) which states it was delivered from my local London depot! Signed for by my family member!

I phoned up Royal Mail who were a bit confused by the tracking and said it is showing has delivered, and the seller needs to contact them. I contacted him. He said he posted it I told him I have not received the items, the tracking looks iffy and RM are confused about it but won’t tell me much. He got back to me (after I contacted him again) and said that RM said they may have delivered to the wrong place and they are investigating and he is putting in a claim form (his exact words) I gave him a few days and asked him if he had handed in the claims form and does he have a case number so I can chase up at my end too, he said yes (gave me a tracking number for the delivery of the claim form) but no claim case/reference number.

I phoned RM again, and spoke to someone who was very very confused about the tracking, and told me the parcel never made it in to London from what he could see on their itemised tracking – so how it could be signed for is unknown, but it says delivered. He also confirmed there is no way it could be delivered to me from a post office so far away, and there’s a large chance it was returned to the sender if anything. Lastly he told me that RM have no record as of yet of a claim against the original tracking number, and that when received it should go on their system within 24 hours.

The seller has not been forthcoming with any information and seems happy to just sit on this, at least that is how it seems to me. Which is something else that does not add up.

So in summary:

• Paid via Paypal echeque.
• Seller used RM next day 1pm.
• Tracking says delivered.
• Tracking says delivered from same area where it originated from.
• Unknown signature.
• Had a parcel delivered on the same day from Ebay. Item was similar in size and weight (tracking said local PO, known signature).
• Seller is slack on info.
• RM says no claim has been filed – no tracking for the parcel touching London – may have been returned to sender.
• I have the customer service guy (who spoke to his manager) name and time and date I spoke to him.

Now I’ve done a little research, and it seems Ebay generally find in the sellers favour due to the item being tracked and signed for (apparently)

Has anyone ever been in a situation like this? What’s the chances of getting this sorted and quickly – it is VERY stressful. If or when I escalate do I even have a chance of winning via Ebay… and how do I get my money back (or the item I paid for)
Community Updates
Misc
35 Comments
Tracking says delivered from same area where it originated from

i would guess he has sent to himself ??
You could of got scammed...... But your best bet is to raise a dispute to PAYPAL now,

Can Royal Mail confirm the address which the item was to be sent to.. or at least confirm its your address?

Have you got a copy of his receipt from the post office as that will state the postcode and house number it was sent to.

The seller could of sent a empty box to a address and got someone to sign for it and is trying to just sit on it for 30 or how many days it is to make a dispute void.

Good luck

Edited by: "RickT" 27th Jul 2011
Can Royal Mail confirm the address it was delivered to?
RM seem pretty lame!
for a guess, it sounds as if it has been delivered back to the seller, having been sorted according to the return address rather than yours, this has happened to me more than once

My guess is its not a scam, but the seller is trying to hold on to your item, having had the 'good luck' of having it returned to him

Have a word with Royal mail and 'Derby' sorting office and see if the delivery address matches that of the seller, there should be a record of the address it was delivered to on their tracking system, if my theory bears out, you may want to get in touch with the Police with regard to the seller

whatever the situation, you have to be proactive, both the police and royal mail move at a snails pace in these situations and neither can find their backside with both hands
Whats the insurance on the item for next day ?? is it not £500 unless you pay extra ??
How was it sent, Special Delivery?
I can track in a bit more depth for you if you want to pm me the tracking number, but will be when I get home about 5.30
They sent it to themselves or RM delivered back to the sender by reading the wrong address but given that Specuaial delivery label will be on the delivery address side of the parcel I'd say the former happened, raise a Paypal dispute to be on the safe side. Then if PayPal play funny b uggers get your bank involved.
Wow, hope you get this sorted, please let us know what happens oO
You have 45days to raise a Paypal dispute, I recommend you open one now to be on the safe side.
rfcvb72

for a guess, it sounds as if it has been delivered back to the seller, … for a guess, it sounds as if it has been delivered back to the seller, having been sorted according to the return address rather than yours, this has happened to me more than onceMy guess is its not a scam, but the seller is trying to hold on to your item, having had the 'good luck' of having it returned to himHave a word with Royal mail and 'Derby' sorting office and see if the delivery address matches that of the seller, there should be a record of the address it was delivered to on their tracking system, if my theory bears out, you may want to get in touch with the Police with regard to the sellerwhatever the situation, you have to be proactive, both the police and royal mail move at a snails pace in these situations and neither can find their backside with both hands

seriously, you had to say that 4 times?

New member starts thread, doesn't come back, another new member posts the same reply 4 times, multi's?
for a guess, it sounds as if it has been delivered back to the seller, having been sorted according to the return address rather than yours, this has happened to me more than once

My guess is its not a scam, but the seller is trying to hold on to your item, having had the 'good luck' of having it returned to him

Have a word with Royal mail and 'Derby' sorting office and see if the delivery address matches that of the seller, there should be a record of the address it was delivered to on their tracking system, if my theory bears out, you may want to get in touch with the Police with regard to the seller

whatever the situation, you have to be proactive, both the police and royal mail move at a snails pace in these situations and neither can find their backside with both hands
CyDoNiA

Can Royal Mail confirm the address it was delivered to?

when i spoke to RM they confirmed my house numebr and postcode
HOWEVER they also said the parcel has never touched london!
dxx

How was it sent, Special Delivery?

From what i can tell it was sent Royal Mail Next day by 1pm.

this is what i dont get how can it say delivered, have my address, YET never reach london???
and the seller is not being helpful at all!
Apologies for taking time to come back.. i am new to forums AND i work two jobs :-/
(at one now)
colinsunderland

I can track in a bit more depth for you if you want to pm me the … I can track in a bit more depth for you if you want to pm me the tracking number, but will be when I get home about 5.30

I just tried mate but it wont let me - need to be more active my email is my username on her 'atGMAIL.com'
colinsunderland

I can track in a bit more depth for you if you want to pm me the … I can track in a bit more depth for you if you want to pm me the tracking number, but will be when I get home about 5.30

it wont let me. email is username on here @ at g mail dot com'
Update!

excuse the spamming on my own post.

So i just spoke to a very lovely person at royal mail, who said that a claim has been received, they can see it hasnt been delivered to my address, and they believe it has gone some back in Bedford but they are not sure.

She gave me the tracking reference and told me to provide ebay with that when i escalate, they will contact RM and to confirm my details. she said the claim should be completed by august 5th. She also stated that i should be refunded via Ebay/Paypal and the seller will have to slug it out with RM.

things are looking up at least. im still a lil nervous (and will be until i have the money back) i will NEVER use an echeque again.

so im about to go to my second job - when I'm done ill head right home and Escalate.

I will keep you all updated, and Custardy is still looking into the tracking for me, but id like to thank you all for helping to calm my nerves and being so helpful.

Wayne
This is a definite scam and is still going strong! Please be warned. Recently we purchased a Thomson’s Holiday gift card supposedly worth £2,200 for £1,850. After payment through paypal we had grounds for believing the item was not genuine. We asked the seller for a refund under the terms of the sale which he agreed to do. When no refund was issued, we opened a case against the seller through the ebay resolution centre, as gift cards are not covered under the paypal compensation scheme. Minutes before the case was due to close, the seller sent us a Royal Mail tracking number claiming the item had been sent to us. Nothing arrived, and we were very surprised to see on the Royal Mail website that a signature (under a different name to ours) had been obtained for the item. We went to the local Royal Mail sorting office, who told us the letter had been delivered to a completely different address. We now realise this was a random address close to us selected by the seller merely to obtain a signature. That is how the scam works, as ebay incredibly take a recorded delivery signature as proof of delivery! Royal Mail managed to contact the gentleman who had signed for the item, and he returned the letter (which he confirmed was empty) to the sorting office. We were allowed to photograph the letter which clearly showed the tracking number sent to us by the seller was posted to a different address to ours. The case was closed by ebay in the seller’s favour as they claimed he had obtained a signature from us for delivery of the item. Despite numerous appeals to ebay including the photographic evidence that the letter was not sent to us or signed for by us, they refuse to change their decision claiming the seller had provided proof of delivery. Even though we have provided proof that the delivery was not made to us, ebay will not listen and refuse to review their decision. We have finally been refunded our £1,850 through Chargeback, but we have suffered 2 months of massive stress, anger and frustration due to ebay's refusal to listen to our case. I would hate to see anyone else suffer in the same way.
elitemagpie

This is a definite scam and is still going strong! Please be warned. … This is a definite scam and is still going strong! Please be warned. Recently we purchased a Thomson’s Holiday gift card supposedly worth £2,200 for £1,850. After payment through paypal we had grounds for believing the item was not genuine. We asked the seller for a refund under the terms of the sale which he agreed to do. When no refund was issued, we opened a case against the seller through the ebay resolution centre, as gift cards are not covered under the paypal compensation scheme. Minutes before the case was due to close, the seller sent us a Royal Mail tracking number claiming the item had been sent to us. Nothing arrived, and we were very surprised to see on the Royal Mail website that a signature (under a different name to ours) had been obtained for the item. We went to the local Royal Mail sorting office, who told us the letter had been delivered to a completely different address. We now realise this was a random address close to us selected by the seller merely to obtain a signature. That is how the scam works, as ebay incredibly take a recorded delivery signature as proof of delivery! Royal Mail managed to contact the gentleman who had signed for the item, and he returned the letter (which he confirmed was empty) to the sorting office. We were allowed to photograph the letter which clearly showed the tracking number sent to us by the seller was posted to a different address to ours. The case was closed by ebay in the seller’s favour as they claimed he had obtained a signature from us for delivery of the item. Despite numerous appeals to ebay including the photographic evidence that the letter was not sent to us or signed for by us, they refuse to change their decision claiming the seller had provided proof of delivery. Even though we have provided proof that the delivery was not made to us, ebay will not listen and refuse to review their decision. We have finally been refunded our £1,850 through Chargeback, but we have suffered 2 months of massive stress, anger and frustration due to ebay's refusal to listen to our case. I would hate to see anyone else suffer in the same way.

Why did you buy something that is not covered by PayPal compensation? It has been widely advertised by both eBay and on here and no doubt other forums that gift cards are not covered!

If you did not know this you happily sent a large amount of money without checking the T&C's that your money would be safe in the event of a dispute.
Mark2111

Why did you buy something that is not covered by PayPal compensation? It … Why did you buy something that is not covered by PayPal compensation? It has been widely advertised by both eBay and on here and no doubt other forums that gift cards are not covered!If you did not know this you happily sent a large amount of money without checking the T&C's that your money would be safe in the event of a dispute.

Beggars belief Mark. I feel sorry for them it's awful, but who in their right mind would part with that sort of cash for a gift card off Ebay. Everyone knows Gumtrees the place to get gift cards. oO

Edited by: "OldEnglish" 22nd May 2015
Mark2111

Why did you buy something that is not covered by PayPal compensation? It … Why did you buy something that is not covered by PayPal compensation? It has been widely advertised by both eBay and on here and no doubt other forums that gift cards are not covered!If you did not know this you happily sent a large amount of money without checking the T&C's that your money would be safe in the event of a dispute.

We assumed ebay would have sufficient rules in place to protect us from any scam. We certainly learned a lesson on that one! We are also much wiser about paypal rules. It was posted more as a warning to others than an attempt to gain sympathy.
elitemagpie

We assumed ebay would have sufficient rules in place to protect us from … We assumed ebay would have sufficient rules in place to protect us from any scam. We certainly learned a lesson on that one! We are also much wiser about paypal rules. It was posted more as a warning to others than an attempt to gain sympathy.

I do feel for you but also do not understand why people readily hand over large sums of money without thoroughly checking they are are not protected.

EBay have very comprehensive help and information pages and it would have the seconds to discover that gift cards are exempt from protection.

It is a hard lesson learned and a shame that scammers take advantage of people's carelessness in not familiarising themselves with PayPal's rules.

Do always inform the police if you have Ben scammed. Even if you Dont get your money back there is a chance the criminal could be caught.
Edited by: "Mark2111" 22nd May 2015
elitemagpie

We assumed ebay would have sufficient rules in place to protect us from … We assumed ebay would have sufficient rules in place to protect us from any scam. We certainly learned a lesson on that one! We are also much wiser about paypal rules. It was posted more as a warning to others than an attempt to gain sympathy.

if someone had scammed me out of that much money, a visit to their house with 20 of the lads would most certainly happen
Mark2111

I do feel for you but also do not understand why people readily hand over … I do feel for you but also do not understand why people readily hand over large sums of money without thoroughly checking they are are not protected. EBay have very comprehensive help and information pages and it would have the seconds to discover that gift cards are exempt from protection.It is a hard lesson learned and a shame that scammers take advantage of people's carelessness in not familiarising themselves with PayPal's rules.Do always inform the police if you have Ben scammed. Even if you Dont get your money back there is a chance the criminal could be caught.

Ebay actually do cover gift cards in the event of non-delivery, but it seems they accept a signature from anyone, anywhere as "proof" of delivery. We contacted the police who were not interested at all. They will just refer you to Action Fraud who simply log the details and give a case number. We have learned a massive amount from this case, sadly there will be many others caught out by it who won't get a refund like we did.
elitemagpie

Ebay actually do cover gift cards in the event of non-delivery, but it … Ebay actually do cover gift cards in the event of non-delivery, but it seems they accept a signature from anyone, anywhere as "proof" of delivery. We contacted the police who were not interested at all. They will just refer you to Action Fraud who simply log the details and give a case number. We have learned a massive amount from this case, sadly there will be many others caught out by it who won't get a refund like we did.

What was the feedback score of the seller like which you bought the card from?
Donkii

What was the feedback score of the seller like which you bought the card … What was the feedback score of the seller like which you bought the card from?

100% positive feedback on 13 deals, everything suggested a genuine seller. Subsequent enquiries makes me think this was one of many accounts set up by the fraudster.
elitemagpie

100% positive feedback on 13 deals, everything suggested a genuine … 100% positive feedback on 13 deals, everything suggested a genuine seller. Subsequent enquiries makes me think this was one of many accounts set up by the fraudster.

100% feedback doesn't mean anything, you can sell 2 things and have 100% feedback(I'm sure you know this but many people don't think of it like that)

it's the number of sales which is important and 13 isn't enough for most people to hand over large amounts of money..
elitemagpie

Despite numerous appeals to ebay including the photographic evidence that … Despite numerous appeals to ebay including the photographic evidence that the letter was not sent to us or signed for by us, they refuse to change their decision claiming the seller had provided proof of delivery.

Reading this bit made me so angry.

I absolutely despise ebay.
deeky

Reading this bit made me so angry.I absolutely despise ebay.

I had a positive opinion of ebay before this, we've completed something like 950 deals and the couple of times we had a problem it was quickly resolved. That's all changed now, because of the way this complaint was handled. We now know ebay are incredibly difficult to contact in the event of a problem. All calls are directed to the Philippines where it seems robots work from a flow chart - "Was the item tracked?" - yes - "Was a signature obtained?" - yes. That's all ebay needed to find in the fraudster's favour. Proof that the signature obtained was not ours fell on deaf ears. We went round and round in circles and ended up banging our heads against brick wall simply because ebay WOULD NOT LISTEN. As soon as we presented the compelling evidence in our favour to our bank, they investigated and arrived at the correct conclusion. As I said earlier, this little story isn't an attempt to gain sympathy and I fully understand why some will see us as naive, it's meant as a warning to others in the hope they can avoid becoming victims.
I think this may have just happened to me. I ordered a new I pad air from eBay, an unwanted gift apparently. He said he posted it the following day and posted a tracking number. The tracking stops at Wembley sorting office and is signed for by someone called Ollie. I live in Wales and have not received the delivery. I paid £235 via PayPal. Hope I can get my money back.
Good luck to you, but don't rely on ebay as they seem to accept a tracking signature (from anyone, anywhere) as proof of delivery. Your best chance of compensation may be paypal. There is a postscript to our case - we noticed there was a Rip Off Britain pop-up shop in our region, so we went along and gave details of our dispute. They offered to give us help via their legal team. Within two weeks we had a message from ebay saying that they had finally found in our favour, even though the details provided by R.O.B. were exactly the same as we had provided. While we are very grateful to R.O.B., we are extremely angry that ebay listened to them but completely ignored us. Best wishes in getting your money back.
deeky

Reading this bit made me so angry.I absolutely despise ebay.

I bought a mountain bike from Ebay and it turned up damaged. The seller was messing around a bit, but was seemingly also happy to accept the return. I got Paypal involved who wanted proof of damage from pro bike shop which i supplied. They awarded case in my favour and told me to return bike to seller. The whole point about my claim was the the packaging was ineffective. I returned the bike from London to the Lake District by courier. It cost me much more than Parcelforce who had delivered it to my address in the first place. My thinking was to dramatically reduce the chance of the bike receiving further damage when I was retuning it and muddying the waters.

After 2 failed delivery attempts the seller did take delivery of the bike. I spoke with Paypal who then rejected my claim because the courier company I used did not utilise an on-line proof of delivery service as required by Paypal.

Thankfully the seller was an honest guy and reimbursed me less his original costs.

I was prepared to take Paypal to small claims court (I had proof of delivery with signature of seller) for my loss but I could not actually track down a UK address for them.
I'm out £400 because of eBay and paypals incompetence.
Sold an iPhone 6, sent recorded etc.. Buyer received and phoned police saying it Was a stolen phone (blocked).. Thus getting a crime reference number. PayPal would not do a thing.

Buyer somehow also got a refund before the product was delivered.. Which this refund was not issued by myself.

I couldn't raise a non payment dispute because technically he had paid using the link through eBay.

And now PayPal seem to think I have not paid him back, despite having a transaction record in my PayPal account issuing said refund (again, not authorised by me) and are chasing me for this £400.

Summary:
Scammed on an iPhone 6
Being chased for a further £400 for the buyer who has kept the phone and had a refund.

And as a side note, buyer refused to send the 'blocked' phone back due to it being an item of crime and has handed into police.

Police have no record.

Now I can't sell anything using PayPal due to restrictions.

Absolute joke.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions