Groups

eBay scammer - contact eBay or paypal?

Story within...but does anyone have any advice for a scammer eBayer, whether it is best phoning eBay's helpline or putting in a paypal dispute?
    Thanks.

13 Comments

Original Poster

I bought a gift voucher on eBay from a member with really good feedback, and after coming up to 2 weeks of no item and no replies to my emails I had a look at her profile and recent feedback to see if she was online, it seems she has now got 50+ negative feedbacks in the past 10 days or so. So, yes, it looks like I have been scammed.
    Anyway, I remember seeing/hearing something about eBay refunding people through eBay's telephone helpline rather than paypal, phoning a telephone number and I was wondering whether people have any experience of this, or if I should just put a paypal dispute in - which if I'm the 50th person to do so probably won't see a penny of the money.

Her eBay name is: littlemisstastytoes

to try and get your money back go through paypal but you need to wait 7 days i think after the sale go onto their website and have a look but also phone/email ebay to let them know or there is a link for dodgey ebayer sellers - its not fair they should really pick up on things like that especially 50 negatives in such a short space of time - 10 is bad enough!!!

I'd go through paypal you should be ok.

Original Poster

It's been over 7 days. I just seem to remember eBay introducing a refund policy, but can't remember or find the details. Maybe I'm imagining it.

51 negs in 4 days. Crazy!

Sounds like a hijacked account.

Original Poster

It says on one of the negs that eBay are investigating the seller, so don't know whether it's worth telling them again?

Paypal takes forever and I bet it'll be the 'there's no money to recover from the seller's account, but we're doing everything we can'. Pooop.

Original Poster

ryouga;6608780

Sounds like a hijacked account.

Hmmm, could be, but the last positive says 'thanks for the refund' which is a little peculiar. I can't imagine a hijack scammer refunding anything, and the account has been active all this month with positives.

Every little helps:|

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;6608815

Well firstly there is dead giveaways it's a hijacked account, secondly … Well firstly there is dead giveaways it's a hijacked account, secondly you need to file a claim with pp not ebay, third you will get your money back as long as it was a tangiable item.Why ebay have not naru'd the account tho is beyond me.

What are the giveaways? (so I know for the future).
    I'll do the paypal claim in a little while.
    Do you think I'll get the money back even if they can't recover any from the paypal account because it looks like it's been hijacked?
    Thank youuuuuu.

jtx;6608817

Every little helps:|

Lol, it was a Tesco gift card.

Original Poster

The paypal dispute said that the seller was currently unavailable to reply to the dispute so I should automatically escalate it. Ugh, pain in the bum. Thanks guys for your help, rep has been dished out.

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;6608925

Yes as pp refund and chase the seller, well a high fb, good account, with … Yes as pp refund and chase the seller, well a high fb, good account, with listings, then suddenly lots and lots of designer/voucher listings with crap photos nicked off the web/stock photos and a totally different listing style.

Thanks. That's great, I didn't think paypal refunded before they could recover the money. At £23 it's not the end of the world if I don't get it back, but still it's very annoying.
    Yeah, what you're saying about the listings, they do look a bit dodgy now you point it out, but for the gift card they did have a proper photo and all that good feedback, lulled into a false sense of security! I bet there are loads more negs to come as people slowly realise they have been scammed.

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;6608815

Why ebay have not naru'd the account tho is beyond me.

I was wondering what naru'd means?

tinkerbell28;6609058

They do now on ebay only.

Fabby. Thanks.

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;6609184

No longer a registered user.

:thumbsup: That makes sense. Thanks.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844476
      2. Virgin Media Broadband Retention Deals46
      3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48710947
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826354

See more discussions