eBay seller asking for photo id

Found 20th Jan 2016
I bought a 12 months Xbox live membership on eBay. The seller is based in Germany. I sent me a message via eBay to provide him with a photocopy of my driving licence or passport. He said I could black out anything that I wanted. I already paid for the item. Should I be worried about getting scammed? Thanks
J
Community Updates
AskPhoto
13 Comments
Report it to eBay. Sounds very dodgy to me. No reason for him to have this information.
It's what I thought. I have been with eBay for over 10 years, got 100% feedback. And all my details are already there. + it's a digital transaction, that I have already paid for via PayPal. Thanks
Sounds like an ID theft scam to me
it's a scam!
Very he's up to no good mate
Perhaps they are just covering themselves however I would not supply that information.

Inform them that no agreement was made prior to the sale that you would have to show ID therefore you wish to receive your item as expected, failure to due so will result in further action via eBay.
Just send a pic of a black square. He said you could black out anything you wanted, and you wanted to black everything out
That CDkeys outfit tried that on me - just told them to get stuffed and reported them to PayPal.
Python

Just send a pic of a black square. He said you could black out anything … Just send a pic of a black square. He said you could black out anything you wanted, and you wanted to black everything out

#Like mine It's got all the info the seller requires

http://s13.postimg.org/bqllchb1z/DVLA_Front.jpg
Edited by: "artnada" 20th Jan 2016
Artnada, it's what i did, i left the picture (But blurred it), and my address (that would be available on my Ebay invoiceanyway). I told the seller that if it is not satisfactory to proceed with a full refund..
it's to make sure you're buying the digital code and not someone that gained unauthorized access to an account and is trying to get as much out of it before it gets locked and the charges get reversed leaving the seller out of pocket
Received the code now after sending my blacked-out driving license. So all good
jeannot18

Received the code now after sending my blacked-out driving license. So … Received the code now after sending my blacked-out driving license. So all good

Good to hear. As I suggested previously they was probably just covering themselves.

If they had not said that you could cover most of the information I would have refused but I think you done the right thing.
Edited by: "joshp" 21st Jan 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants