Ebay seller now saying item it faulty, what are my rights?

Found 26th Jun 2012
Hey I sold a NAS for 350.00 on ebay, confirmed it was working and the buyer said it was working which I got on my email from ebay personal message system, he said he was in the middle of raiding the drives, but 5 days later he said he is getting error messages, and supposedly qnap are saying its faulty, but this is yet to be confirmed, by myself

I asked for the support number and asked what drives he was using, if he confirmed the item was working but later had problems, what are my rights, as I had no problem with it, and sold as used.

I think he was using green drives which qnap does not support, but proving this will be near impossible, as I know they have a hard time raiding some of the green drives, hence why they are not supported.

Thanks

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
36 Comments

If within the PayPal Dispute 45 day claim period you have no rights other cry and expect the item to be returned at the buyers expense.

Banned

Request screenshots and try to resolve, its in everyones interest.

expect negative feedback if he's made to pay return postage costs

Original Poster

Terrible, The item was working fine, and I have no way to confirm if his raid issue is actually a fault as I dont have 4x3tb drives to test it.
I only used it to store data. and never raided, as was not to worried as had all my important pictures and home movies backed up on a external drive and my laptop.
Oh well, I have told him to return, once I confirm it arrived in same same condition I sent it.. Like new, then I will refund, but want to confirm with qnap, do you think its worth looking into before refunding?

Banned

realblender

You have to refund whatever as long as he has proof of postage. The only … You have to refund whatever as long as he has proof of postage. The only dilemma is if you refund postage to say sorry for sending you a broken system.However, you may be scammed as he may have broken it himself through mishandling or substituting parts. You cannot prove these things easily.

proof of delivery

Original Poster

realblender

You have to refund whatever as long as he has proof of postage. The only … You have to refund whatever as long as he has proof of postage. The only dilemma is if you refund postage to say sorry for sending you a broken system.However, you may be scammed as he may have broken it himself through mishandling or substituting parts. You cannot prove these things easily.

I know the item was working as I used it, but never used it in the raid configuration that he is saying, I will post the reply he sent me, maybe some computer geeks can advise:

I did not manage to complete the installation of the unit as it would not maintain the stable operation of a Raid beyond a few hours.

I raised a support case with Qnap directly and their diagnosis was as follows:

> hi Bob
>
> sorry for your inconveniet, this nas is defective, i found extensive history of fake interrupt logs, please contact your re-seller for repair/replace this unit,
>
> Regards
>
>
> David.
>
> QNAP Systems, Inc.

I further clarified if it could be reflash end but was advised:

> hi Bob
>
> i'm sorry this is hardware failure, this unit need send RMA center to repair, not only re-fresh firmware.

Is there anything you can do to help out as the confirmation from Qnap is that the unit is not and has extensive history of non functional hardware. Of course it was listed on eBay as used but also listed under the classification of "is fully operational and functions as intended." under the eBay classification.

Hope you understand, but I think it is reasonable to take the diagnosis of the Qnap engineer on its state and internal history.

Banned

Have you ever used QNAP support for this NAS?

Bit dodgy that email that Qnap supposedly sent him?
looks more like some johnny foreigner has written it, agree with dcx_badass

Edited by: "OldEnglish" 26th Jun 2012

I hope you noted down any serial numbers on it before dispatch!

Original Poster

No didnt record any serial numbers, I have been looking here :

http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/New-Shopping-Experience/Item-Not-As/510297395?start=48

And here:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18417&Itemid=8

I think I am going to give up ebay for high value items. Had enough, I am now going to be out of pocket like 350.00 and if he broke it, it will be for the bin.

Banned

"Hi Bob!" What was the buyers name again? X)
Edited by: "dga" 26th Jun 2012

canada16

No didnt record any serial numbers, I have been looking here : … No didnt record any serial numbers, I have been looking here : http://forums.ebay.com/db1/topic/New-Shopping-Experience/Item-Not-As/510297395?start=48And here:http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18417&Itemid=8I think I am going to give up ebay for high value items. Had enough, I am now going to be out of pocket like 350.00 and if he broke it, it will be for the bin.

Gutted for you lot of money to lose, has the buyer got a good previous history of buying & selling on ebay?

I would be extremely suspicious, them emails looks very dodgy, especially as it was meant to have been written by an engineer who can't seem to spell correctly.

I would wait till you can get hold of Qnap and find out if the buyer actually contacted them, if its found he's lying will perhaps work in favour of you with paypal

I would ring ebay and get advice from them, or just pretend to the buyer that you have contacted ebay and say to accept a return you have to see screenshots of the problems to make sure genuine.
Also it might be worth calling his bluff saying you have wrote down the serial numbers.
I know before when I said to the buyer he could return and then the discs had been switched ebay refunded both of us and I kept the faulty item however that was for a £10 item not £350.

Like has been said he will probably send a broken one he has so if you haven't taken serial numbers you are fudged.

Original Poster

From others it seems I am screwed, they always side on the buyers side, not the sellers.
I have withdrawn all my money from my bank account and also my paypal account, I will refund him if it faulty, but if he stuck the wrong drives in it, or it was down to his own error, I wont.
They cant do anything if I have no money in my accounts, I will fight it with my bank if they try freeze my bank accounts, I am sure my bank is better at resolving problems than rip off paypal and ebay.
From past comments, they seem to give refunds without even the seller providing his or her own evidence. they just side with the buyer. seems bad as I am the one that pays them, not the buyer, looked at his feedback and he has never sold anything, but has 81 feedback which is 100% for buying, but sellers cant leave negative feedback, so that shows nothing.

Always sell or lend to someone as though they're going to try and rip you off. Like you, I had to learn the hard way. Hope this works out for you.

Original Poster

If i dont care about selling on ebay anymore, and had enough if this doesnt work in my favour, then what can paypal do if i have not got funds in my bank account or paypal account? can they send debt collectors after me?
Like I said, I wont deny him a refund if genuine, but if not, I wont be scammed.

can the buyer not send it direct to qnap for repair? if you provide him with your receipt etc?

canada16

If i dont care about selling on ebay anymore, and had enough if this … If i dont care about selling on ebay anymore, and had enough if this doesnt work in my favour, then what can paypal do if i have not got funds in my bank account or paypal account? can they send debt collectors after me? Like I said, I wont deny him a refund if genuine, but if not, I wont be scammed.

They would have to take you to court before they send in debt collectors

Original Poster

Been reading on this, they send in debt collectors, so will give that a miss, I have good credit, so dont need people showing up at my door when my wife is home with the kids all day while I am at work.

I could send to qnap but.... I bought from amazon and one of the sellers described as used-like new, so dont know if it is out of warranty, i have only had it about a year or less.

Well you have his address... drop him an email saying you'll be around to pick it up

Original Poster

Its in milton keynes.. I am in cardiff... LOL 3 and a half hour drive. each way.

if it faulty or just developed a fault can I get them to fix it, from buying used-like new from amazon?

Get the reference number for the support case buyer claims

Original Poster

Yup asked for that, he has not responded from this afternoon when I requested what drives he used and the reference.

canada16

No didnt record any serial numbers

Pretend you did.

Mention that you'll refund once you've confirmed the fault exists and that all serial numbers match. Even if you can't confirm the fault (because of your setup) and don't have the serial numbers, saying you will is often enough to put off some people that are trying a fast one.
Edited by: "BustaLinx" 26th Jun 2012

Ebay can be an absolute nightmare with problems like this, would like to give you some positive advice, but to be honest I think you've done your money, looks like the 'buyer' knows the ropes and is playing you.....

BustaLinx

Pretend you did.Mention that you'll refund once you've confirmed the … Pretend you did.Mention that you'll refund once you've confirmed the fault exists and that all serial numbers match. Even if you can't confirm the fault (because of your setup) and don't have the serial numbers, saying you will is often enough to put off some people that are trying a fast one.

I would suggest you do this as well & look through feedback he has left for others & see if he's tried it before.

I would also suggest mentioning that you have the serial numbers and also ask for the name of the alleged contact who confirmed the error.

Can you not contact the seller on Amazon to see if they have a record of the serial numbers?

a similar thing happened to me regarding a laptop and a supposedly "dodgy battery" even though it was working perfectly fine when i sent it. eBay take multiple things into consideration when a case is opened such as how was it listed (used, new ect and the description given) plus buyers/sellers feedback, i really wouldnt do anything if i was you; dont give refunds unless you state so in your description when selling and from my knowledge eBay tend to side on the sellers side in situations where the item may have been broken/accidently damaged by the buyer, especially if he has had it a few days (surely you would complain straight away that it dosnt work and not wait 5 days) when this happened to me eBay was in my favour and said basically parts/items do ware and if it was listed as used thats not the sellers problem.

Banned

STOP SELLING FAULTY GOODS

as per my thread few days ago asking same thing its a loophole

nothing you can do except say HE has to return item at his expense by recorded and just hope he decides he cant be bothered

Adam1990

a similar thing happened to me regarding a laptop and a supposedly "dodgy … a similar thing happened to me regarding a laptop and a supposedly "dodgy battery" even though it was working perfectly fine when i sent it. eBay take multiple things into consideration when a case is opened such as how was it listed (used, new ect and the description given) plus buyers/sellers feedback, i really wouldnt do anything if i was you; dont give refunds unless you state so in your description when selling and from my knowledge eBay tend to side on the sellers side in situations where the item may have been broken/accidently damaged by the buyer, especially if he has had it a few days (surely you would complain straight away that it dosnt work and not wait 5 days) when this happened to me eBay was in my favour and said basically parts/items do ware and if it was listed as used thats not the sellers problem.

Agree with adam, waiting 5 days is a bit dodgy think ebay may see this

or like me 12 month ago they may say they will review the case for 7 days.............and then side with the buyer on day 2

n0bheads

Please bear in mind this is a consumer NAS we are talking about, building a 9TB Raid:5 array is likely going to take a day and a half in itself.

May be the buyer's drives are incompatible, may the NAS is dodgy or may be the buyer simply changed his mind - it's all speculation at this point. The matter is simply too complicated/long winded to solve over the phone, unless the buyer is willing/able to try a different set of drives.

Selling long distance must always be at the seller's risk, otherwise no one would buy anything used on Ebay/forums any more.

Lets keep fingers crossed that the NAS simply didn't like the buyers hard drives, so that Canada16 can sell it to someone else, loosing him just the original postage for sending the item out.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 5th Jul 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants