eBay seller problems

Hello. Just thought I would seek advice from the hukd community. I recently sold a tablet on ebay and received a decent amount for it. However unfortunately the buyer wants to return the tablet because of a scratch on the screen and apparent battery issues. I can categorically say with my hand on my heart there are no issues with the screen or the battery and believe the buyer is just trying to get a refund on a listing set to non refundable. I have asked the buyer to send proof and he has only sent a picture of a small scratch and claims to not know how to prove there is a battery issue. Is there anything I can do to help my case before it is escalated? I am wary that searches on Google point out ebay tend to side with the buyer and would like a fair hearing. In addition the item was listed as used

26 Comments

'Returns not accepted' just means if they change their mind. If they're claiming a fault, you'd have to accept a return. Personally, I would... sometimes when eBay step in when you disagree, they refund the buyer and take the money from your account.

I've been on ebay since 1999, and I'd say to accept the return but make it clear to the buyer that if there's no fault with it, you will refund them but minus the postage you paid to send it to them - this way you don't lose out.

maybe worth you getting in contact with eBay first . plus surely if he can't prove the battery issue it's only his word to go on.

If the buyer asks eBay to step in they will without a shadow of a doubt be able to return it to you and get a full refund. I have been in your position a few times and have on every occasion changed all my eBay and PayPal details to absolute nonsense and let eBay do whatever they want. Only way to keep the money if you think you are about to be unjustly robbed by a buyer.

I sell on eBay and get it all the time! I sold a woman a new coat then she said it had stains on it. It never when it left me. So I part refunded her as she said she would have to pay to get it cleaned even though it was new! Now she keeps emailing me saying she wants a full refund and will give the coat to a charity shop. There are a lot of strange people who buy from me

gweir2

maybe worth you getting in contact with eBay first . plus surely if he … maybe worth you getting in contact with eBay first . plus surely if he can't prove the battery issue it's only his word to go on.

You would think so, but eBay 99.9% of the time side with the buyer in these cases.

Banned

just take it back & forget about it because you will have to sooner or later in any case

Original Poster

I don't sell on ebay often and this is totally new so thanks for all of your advice. I have thought about the partial refund but don't think it will help as 1) he could still ask for a refund later on and 2) it's an admission of possible guilt. Just feel let down and I am worried about the state of the item on return.

superfreddy

I'd say to accept the return but make it clear to the buyer that if … I'd say to accept the return but make it clear to the buyer that if there's no fault with it, you will refund them but minus the postage you paid to send it to them - this way you don't lose out.

In theory that's fine but the buyer is already claiming there's a fault so if you formally accept a return eBay may not allow you to refund minus the postage.
There's also the issue of feedback so it depends on how much you value your feedback and whether you want to risk negative feedback.

Also, look at the screen to see if there is a small scratch as if there is that is grounds for a return even if small if you didn't mention it as it's a key area of the product.
Ultimately there will always be the occasional dispute on the condition of second hand goods even with good buyers/sellers as it is subjective to a degree.
I always list items describing them in great detail and check screens under a spot-lamp so I can see even minor marks.
Good luck and one has to take the occasional hit with eBay but don't let that put you off.

Original Poster

Agharta

In theory that's fine but the buyer is already claiming there's a fault … In theory that's fine but the buyer is already claiming there's a fault so if you formally accept a return eBay may not allow you to refund minus the postage.There's also the issue of feedback so it depends on how much you value your feedback and whether you want to risk negative feedback.Also, look at the screen to see if there is a small scratch as if there is that is grounds for a return even if small if you didn't mention it as it's a key area of the product.Ultimately there will always be the occasional dispute on the condition of second hand goods even with good buyers/sellers as it is subjective to a degree.I always list items describing them in great detail and check screens under a spot-lamp so I can see even minor marks.Good luck and one has to take the occasional hit with eBay but don't let that put you off.

​Thanks for the info. The pictures I have taken clearly show no scratches and I just feel he realises he has paid over the odds. Will I still need to pay the listing fees? If the option is to return then there can't be any risk with trying to see what happens at the dispute stage?

I sell on eBay and get it all the time! I sold a woman a new coat then she said it had stains on it. It never when it left me. So I part refunded her as she said she would have to pay to get it cleaned even though it was new! Now she keeps emailing me saying she wants a full refund and will give the coat to a charity shop. There are a lot of strange people who buy from me

I'd accept the return but let him know you'll be checking the serial number and security marks against the ones you have recorded when you sent it, if he's swapped the tablet for his own rubbish one this will make sure he doesn't try it on. Even if you didn't record the serial number they won't know but make sure you do from now on.

Accept the return. You won't win the argument, eBay money back guarantee basically ensures that if the buyer states there is a problem, then it gets returned. If you contest it then the outcome will be the same, you're just delaying the inevitable

Unfortunately this is the way of eBay ... just have to take it on the chin and move on.

whorlow

Will I still need to pay the listing fees?

If you formally accept a return eBay will refund your final value fee in full but not sure about listing fees so check with them.
If you don’t accept a return and eBay refund the buyer I’m not sure what happens so again check with them.

whorlow

The pictures I have taken clearly show no scratches.

I don’t think that has any bearing as it is very hard to photograph small scratches on screens from my experience.
Also it is not proof that the item was not scratched. Ideally eBay would ask the buyer to upload a photo but as they are also claiming battery life problems it might not matter.

Make sure that all communication is via eBay messages and not direct email as that way eBay can read them to see what both parties have said.
If they email you directly reply via eBay quoting their email and telling them that you will only respond via eBay.

Original Poster

Thanks for all your input. Just a hard way to learn

Also be polite and apologise for their inconvenience even if you are convinced they are trying it on.
There's nothing to be gained from antagonising people and it helps to keep the situation calm, eBay will see you are behaving well and it reduces the chance of negative feedback.
I used to run an eBay business with 100% positive feedback for 3K+ items worth between one and two million pounds but I still made the odd mistake.
We can’t do anything about dodgy buyers but we can still act with dignity and integrity and not get caught up in their dramas.

Point out you have recorded and registered all serial numbers and he must ensure the item he is returning matches your records.

You should always put on the ad that item is in a used condition and may have signs of scratches, wear and tear and the battery may last as long as a new product.

whorlow

​Thanks for the info. The pictures I have taken clearly show no scratches … ​Thanks for the info. The pictures I have taken clearly show no scratches and I just feel he realises he has paid over the odds. Will I still need to pay the listing fees? If the option is to return then there can't be any risk with trying to see what happens at the dispute stage?

​as u have the original pictures with no scratches send it to the buyer and ask them if they have done the damage to the screen not u and also how long the battery lasts in my opinion some people actually think the claims of manufacturer to how long battery is supposed to last is gospel explain it is used and tell them u have already explained how long the battery lasts if u did orginal and if they send it back u will have the battery inspected and It is faulty u will refund otherwise they will need pay for the costs which include screen repair as they have damaged it or if u are feeling nice five them a 5 for battery issues doubt a a replacement battery will be much better if it hasn't been used to much this one

Ebay will in 99% of occasions find in favour of the buyer. They will simply refund the buyer and get it back from you.. Unless its blatant fraud, youve already lost the battle.

muddassarsardar

​as u have the original pictures with no scratches send it to the buyer a … ​as u have the original pictures with no scratches send it to the buyer and ask them if they have done the damage to the screen not u

It's very hard to photograph small scratches on certain types of screens so a photo with no scratches proves nothing unless the screen now has a big obvious scratch that can be easily photographed.

nowt you can do OP.

Stear clear of eBay.

ruthy59

I sell on eBay and get it all the time! I sold a woman a new coat then … I sell on eBay and get it all the time! I sold a woman a new coat then she said it had stains on it. It never when it left me. So I part refunded her as she said she would have to pay to get it cleaned even though it was new! Now she keeps emailing me saying she wants a full refund and will give the coat to a charity shop. There are a lot of strange people who buy from me

No wonder buyers try it on,you've already given her a part refund for absolutely nothing so shes going the whole hog now,you should have just told her to return it to begin with.

thedvdmonster

Point out you have recorded and registered all serial numbers and he must … Point out you have recorded and registered all serial numbers and he must ensure the item he is returning matches your records.

This. Listen to this guy ^

I had the same thing happen to me when I sold an old PSP Go a couple of years back. Item was immaculate and in full working order but the buyer claimed it was scratched and WiFi wasn't working. Buyer opened a dispute to which eBay ruled in their favour despite my protest. I messaged the buyer and said I have noted down all the serial numbers/identifying numbers on the device so I will be cross checking when I receive the item back. Surprise surprise, he dropped the case! It's a well known trick - someone buys something from a seller, replaces it with a damaged item and claims the one you sent is faulty/damaged. eBay will almost always side with the buyer and they get their damaged item swapped for nothing for your shiny new one.

Never know, it might scare them off.

was it an iPad? because there's a program called coconut battery that lets you view battery stats inc cycles and total battery capacity (compared to the advertised factory standard, i.e. how much the battery has degraded).

if it is, ask them to provide this info so you can compare it with your own records. see if they hesitate.
and also push the fact that the item has security markings and all serial numbers and identifying numbers (imei etc) have been noted and logged (by photo) as per national police/action fraud code of practice

you may be really unlucky and get a **** seller who has intentionally damaged the item to force through the refund.
ebay do often side with the buyer, and this is a deliberate tactic to grow the business because they wanted to appeal to the large proportion of the public who believed every item sold on ebay was just a cardboard box with a potato inside, just as everything on wikipedia is a lie because anyone can edit it(!), so in order to pander to this group and show that ebay is in fact a safe place to trade, they brought in this policy to side with the buyer. It's a stroke of genius from their side, because they realise they have the monopoly on the marketplace - where else is a seller going to sell??
it does leave it open to abuse and a lot of decent sellers get screwed because of it.

if they've opened a case, you can tell them to close the case and return it, then you will refund. when it comes back to you, you can then decide what to do (e.g. partial refund). they can't reopen the case. i have had a couple of dodgy sellers attempt to do this to me in the past, obviously hoping they could fool a naive buyer. it's shady when they do it as a dodgy seller but if you are an honest seller being screwed over, this may be the only way you can get a just resolution.
Edited by: "DennisG" 31st Oct 2016

Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice guys. Fortunately I kept a lot of information before and it is proving to be useful.

Original Poster

Finally there is an outcome. The buyer refused to send any credible evidence and was extremely rude via contact, he even threatened to not send the tablet back. On the day of resolution I phoned ebay and was put through to the department that handled cases. They asked if I wanted to escalate the issue. Person on the phone listened to what I had to say and stated they look at all the evidence to make a case. Within an hour I had an email stating I had won the case and the money has been put back into my paypal account. This is not a bad place to ask for advice
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Car Leasing Deals (Audi, Golf or Scirocco)11
    2. Electricity11
    3. Which Smart Watch for Running?25
    4. Which Camera?!!!22

See more discussions