eBay seller question

Posted 9th Jul
Soooooo, sold my son’s phone on eBay end of January and it was is full working order and great overall condition. Buyer happy and left positive feedback. Today they contacted me to say phone suddenly stopped working and wanted to know what I wanted to do about it! I said the phone was sold as used and has been working fine until now and that we never had any issues with it. The buyer is now saying that I sold it with a guarantee which I did not! They have said they are goi;g to go to eBay about it. I am a bit peeved as I don’t know how they have treated the phone whilst having it and it was working perfectly fine. What do I do
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Just ignore them as there is nothing they can do. Or simply reply

Dear *insert buyer name here* 6 months have elapsed since purchase which at the time and until now you have been happy with as evidenced by your feedback for the item, no warranty was given or implied upon the sale and I can assume the phone has been working up until this point otherwise you would have contacted me before now. I am simply a private seller who only sells my own and my family's personal items. As the phone was working up until last week with no issues reported its was clearly sold as described and fit for purpose. Therefore there is nothing I can reasonably be expected to do about this is and was a private sale.
It's been 6 months so there's nothing they can do. You'll be fine.
49 Comments
Eden003209/07/2020 12:57

Thank you. Thought they might be chancing their luck.
Is it an android phone?
If it is they may have installed a software to break it.
If it’s iOS they need to reinstall the software.

It’s 6 months PayPal won’t touch it and eBay will have access to the original listing to state if you did say will include warranty.
shef007209/07/2020 13:03

If it is they may have installed a software to break it.If it’s iOS they n …If it is they may have installed a software to break it.If it’s iOS they need to reinstall the software.It’s 6 months PayPal won’t touch it and eBay will have access to the original listing to state if you did say will include warranty.

Fab, thanks
Just ignore them as there is nothing they can do. Or simply reply

Dear *insert buyer name here* 6 months have elapsed since purchase which at the time and until now you have been happy with as evidenced by your feedback for the item, no warranty was given or implied upon the sale and I can assume the phone has been working up until this point otherwise you would have contacted me before now. I am simply a private seller who only sells my own and my family's personal items. As the phone was working up until last week with no issues reported its was clearly sold as described and fit for purpose. Therefore there is nothing I can reasonably be expected to do about this is and was a private sale.
harlzter09/07/2020 13:08

Just ignore them as there is nothing they can do. Or simply reply Dear …Just ignore them as there is nothing they can do. Or simply reply Dear *insert buyer name here* 6 months have elapsed since purchase which at the time and until now you have been happy with as evidenced by your feedback for the item, no warranty was given or implied upon the sale and I can assume the phone has been working up until this point otherwise you would have contacted me before now. I am simply a private seller who only sells my own and my family's personal items. As the phone was working up until last week with no issues reported its was clearly sold as described and fit for purpose. Therefore there is nothing I can reasonably be expected to do about this is and was a private sale.

Brilliant! Thank you so much
I wouldn't even bother responding, private sale, private account. Absolutely no come back here. Ignore them, any sort of reply in this situation will just add fuel to the fire. People like this can't be reasoned with.
They have 6 months to open a paypal case.
Edited by: "Love__Bargains" 9th Jul
Nothing. Unless you specifically said in your listing that you offer some sort of 'extended' warranty (on a private sale?) over their existing 'buyer' protection offered by Ebay then it's ancient history. They have a real cheek coming back to you after all this time!

I think you need to politely remind them that this was a 'private' sale - not a shop (unless you are a business seller?) and as such is treated the same as if they had turned up on your door to collect a purchase. If it worked perfectly for months and now doesn't - that's not your responsibility.

Unless of course they are trying a Paypal trick/scam. Paypal give 180 days to make a claim. Are they trying to come in under the time limit? Or maybe they are a bit; um; dim and think they can use Paypal's protection to make a claim after all this time? Perhaps someone else will comment on this as I don't think it would hold water anyway.
Love__Bargains09/07/2020 13:15

They have 6 months to open a paypal case.

Buyer has a warranty issue. PayPal does not support nor provide a warranty, regardless of time since purchase (including the second after purchase).
Ignore all contact, add them to your blocked bidders list and move on.
Phsycronix09/07/2020 13:17

Nothing. Unless you specifically said in your listing that you offer some …Nothing. Unless you specifically said in your listing that you offer some sort of 'extended' warranty (on a private sale?) over their existing 'buyer' protection offered by Ebay then it's ancient history. They have a real cheek coming back to you after all this time!I think you need to politely remind them that this was a 'private' sale - not a shop (unless you are a business seller?) and as such is treated the same as if they had turned up on your door to collect a purchase. If it worked perfectly for months and now doesn't - that's not your responsibility.Unless of course they are trying a Paypal trick/scam. Paypal give 180 days to make a claim. Are they trying to come in under the time limit? Or maybe they are a bit; um; dim and think they can use Paypal's protection to make a claim after all this time? Perhaps someone else will comment on this as I don't think it would hold water anyway.

Phone was sold on 27th January so they are within 6 months. Bloody annoying as phone was working perfectly and for all I know they could have dropped it in water or something and I don’t want to have to pay the price for something they may have done.
Sounds like they know the rules too. I’ve heard about this; buy it, use it for just shy of 6 months, return for refund, buy a newer phone, rinse & repeat.
pookypony09/07/2020 13:45

Phone was sold on 27th January so they are within 6 months. Bloody …Phone was sold on 27th January so they are within 6 months. Bloody annoying as phone was working perfectly and for all I know they could have dropped it in water or something and I don’t want to have to pay the price for something they may have done.

Repeat: buyer has a warranty issue. PayPal does not support nor provide a warranty, regardless of time since purchase (including the second after purchase).
They could put PayPal claim in saying phone not working, they don’t have to say it’s a warranty issue as others have said, people are dishonest.. the only good thing is they left feed back which you can use to prove they are happy with item.. plus if listed as used you don’t get a warranty..

the only thing what might let you down is what they say to PayPal to claim on. Plus PayPal are stupid so you could lose money here. The fact they left it till near the end of 6 months makes you think they know what they are doing... could you not cancel your PayPal account or take off funding options...
Bargainhead09/07/2020 13:57

They could put PayPal claim in saying phone not working, they don’t have t …They could put PayPal claim in saying phone not working, they don’t have to say it’s a warranty issue as others have said, people are dishonest.. the only good thing is they left feed back which you can use to prove they are happy with item.. plus if listed as used you don’t get a warranty.. the only thing what might let you down is what they say to PayPal to claim on. Plus PayPal are stupid so you could lose money here. The fact they left it till near the end of 6 months makes you think they know what they are doing... could you not cancel your PayPal account or take off funding options...

PP only supports two types of claims: "item not received" and "significantly not as described". A fault that first appears 5+ months after purchase is not "significantly not as described", it is a warranty-based issue that is unsupported by PayPal.
Seller simply has to present this concept in a response to any PP claim from buyer.

Excellent opportunity to embarrass PP if PP chooses to misinterpret its own procedures.
They have just asked me for the original receipt so that they can make a claim against Apple. I do not have the receipt and have told them this. This is why I no longer sell on eBay.
It will be interesting to know the outcome of this OP. I was put off selling through eBay years ago ..
AndyRoyd09/07/2020 14:05

PP only supports two types of claims: "item not received" and …PP only supports two types of claims: "item not received" and "significantly not as described". A fault that first appears 5+ months after purchase is not "significantly not as described", it is a warranty-based issue that is unsupported by PayPal.Seller simply has to present this concept in a response to any PP claim from buyer.Excellent opportunity to embarrass PP if PP chooses to misinterpret its own procedures.

All boils down to what buyer says, they could easily say item received, but hadn’t had time to try it out. Or was bought as a gift in advance loads of bs you can say. Everybody lies and this is PayPal they will screw the seller..
pookypony09/07/2020 14:32

They have just asked me for the original receipt so that they can make a …They have just asked me for the original receipt so that they can make a claim against Apple. I do not have the receipt and have told them this. This is why I no longer sell on eBay.

They couldn’t claim from Apple anyway. I would stop contact with them...
Bargainhead09/07/2020 14:38

All boils down to what buyer says, they could easily say item received, …All boils down to what buyer says, they could easily say item received, but hadn’t had time to try it out. Or was bought as a gift in advance loads of bs you can say. Everybody lies and this is PayPal they will screw the seller..

Seller states buyer has posted + feedback.
AndyRoyd09/07/2020 14:42

Seller states buyer has posted + feedback.

That’s what I said in my first post as a positive for seller. Buyer could say that’s for it arriving quickly and price, really depends what wording is on feedback. I could see op out of pocket, sounds like buyer knows what they are doing.. rules and regs only work if people are honest and there not..
I had a similar issue a few years ago.
I sold a Xbox one console. Over a year later the buyer messaged me saying the console was having problems and not playing games.
I was amazed to receive this message as like yourself I sold the console second hand with no warranty etc just from me a private seller.
I did replay to the buyer saying I was sorry it no longer worked but I’m not doing anything about it as it’s been over a year......
I received a replay saying I’ve upset their children followed by loads of abuse and swearing.
I just ignored it and nothing came of it.

Don’t worry. You needn’t do anything.
you have nothing at all to worry about, it’s been their property for 7 months, and you’re not a business seller who sells with a guarantee

just make sure that when you reply, your messages are polite, and you state things like the examples above
Mendoza09/07/2020 15:23

you have nothing at all to worry about, it’s been their property for 7 m …you have nothing at all to worry about, it’s been their property for 7 months, and you’re not a business seller who sells with a guarantee just make sure that when you reply, your messages are polite, and you state things like the examples above

Not that it makes a jot of difference but it hasn't actually been their property for 6 months - let alone 7.

Quote:
"Phone was sold on 27th January."
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 9th Jul
Bargainhead09/07/2020 14:38

All boils down to what buyer says, they could easily say item received, …All boils down to what buyer says, they could easily say item received, but hadn’t had time to try it out. Or was bought as a gift in advance loads of bs you can say. Everybody lies and this is PayPal they will screw the seller..

Buyer stated that they have been using the phone since they received and it has been working fine up until a few days ago
@pookypony

Out of interest - has the buyer told you exactly what the issue is with the phone? Suddenly stopped working can mean a whole lot of things. Dead as a dodo, turns on but shuts down, won't make/receive calls etc.

By the way, I'm just asking you - I'm not suggesting you take further interest in the issue with them. The more you show interest, the more they'll try and 'angle' you into taking some sort of responsibility - of which, you have none.

If you have told them that you can do no more, then leave it. If they give you any kind of abuse - immediately report them to Ebay. You may think "I'll let it go" but this might be something this person is prone to doing and it will add to any casefile Ebay might have against their account.

Keep us posted of developments. We're not only interested - we're nosy too! Hehe. No, seriously it does help someone else who might search the site for a similar issue in the future.

All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix09/07/2020 15:32

Not that it makes a jot of difference but it hasn't actually been their …Not that it makes a jot of difference but it hasn't actually been their property for 6 months - let alone 7.Quote:"Phone was sold on 27th January."

if it makes no difference between 6 months, and 5 months and 3 weeks.

there was no need for your comment
Mendoza09/07/2020 16:14

if it makes no difference between 6 months, and 5 months and 3 weeks.there …if it makes no difference between 6 months, and 5 months and 3 weeks.there was no need for your comment

I wasn't having a go Mendoza. It's just you said they have had the phone for 7 months - when; in fact; they haven't had it for 6 yet - which is why we were debating whether the buyer was trying it on as a 'claim' to Paypal. In reality, they don't really have a leg to stand on though...
pookypony09/07/2020 15:40

Buyer stated that they have been using the phone since they received and …Buyer stated that they have been using the phone since they received and it has been working fine up until a few days ago

That’s good keep that..it will help..
Phsycronix09/07/2020 15:43

@pookypony Out of interest - has the buyer told you exactly what the issue …@pookypony Out of interest - has the buyer told you exactly what the issue is with the phone? Suddenly stopped working can mean a whole lot of things. Dead as a dodo, turns on but shuts down, won't make/receive calls etc.By the way, I'm just asking you - I'm not suggesting you take further interest in the issue with them. The more you show interest, the more they'll try and 'angle' you into taking some sort of responsibility - of which, you have none.If you have told them that you can do no more, then leave it. If they give you any kind of abuse - immediately report them to Ebay. You may think "I'll let it go" but this might be something this person is prone to doing and it will add to any casefile Ebay might have against their account.Keep us posted of developments. We're not only interested - we're nosy too! Hehe. No, seriously it does help someone else who might search the site for a similar issue in the future.All the best, Phsy.

They said it had been working fine since they got it and then it just switched off the other day and now will not turn on at all. Thank you for the advice, much appreciated and I will keep you posted
Your best bet is to try and stall for a couple of weeks. Once the 27th has passed there is nothing they can do
6 months later!! Very cheeky.
I think 30 days is a reasonable time for refunds and exchanges, but 6 months no chance
I feel for the honest buyer who buys used no warranty product only for it to develop a fault - perhaps buying & selling tech is a bad idea for individuals. Leave it to the likes of CEX.
JumpMan198010/07/2020 12:26

I feel for the honest buyer who buys used no warranty product only for it …I feel for the honest buyer who buys used no warranty product only for it to develop a fault - perhaps buying & selling tech is a bad idea for individuals. Leave it to the likes of CEX.

And what about the honest seller who sells an immaculate item for the buyer to treat it who knows how to then come back after months of happy usage to try and get a refund.
_Tris_09/07/2020 18:02

I think 30 days is a reasonable time for refunds and exchanges, but 6 …I think 30 days is a reasonable time for refunds and exchanges, but 6 months no chance

30 days? So I buy an iPhone off you for £500 today and in 31 days it breaks. Tough luck for me? This is why buying & selling expensive tech between individuals a bad idea.
JumpMan198011/07/2020 11:00

30 days? So I buy an iPhone off you for £500 today and in 31 days it …30 days? So I buy an iPhone off you for £500 today and in 31 days it breaks. Tough luck for me? This is why buying & selling expensive tech between individuals a bad idea.

When buying used items thats the risk the buyer is taking, that product can fail at any time, if the buyer wants piece of mind buy from a company like cex who offer longer warrenty or better still buy brand new item with warrenty
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants