Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

eBay seller sent fake item

Posted 3rd Sep
So I bought a kids Nike tracksuit on eBay, brand new with tags. Was a bit suspicious at first because they had listed lots of the same tracksuit, but I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and bought it anyway.

Well it’s arrived and straight away I noticed the labels inside were terrible and compared to a few other Nike tracksuits my boys have got the quality is different and the stitching of the top is poor.

Anyway without thinking I opened a return case and left a message to say i can tell it’s not genuine, they relied saying it is and I should stop jumping to assumptions

Anyway I’ve realised now that if I send it back they’ll just sell it to another unsuspecting soul, and reading eBays policy on fake items they would usually get the seller to refund and the buyer and eBay would arrange for it to be destroyed, which is what I would rather do. Why should some rip off merchant make money selling fake goods to genuine buyers?

Anyway they’ve just accepted the return, what would you advise I do now?? Should I just call eBay and explain the situation?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Reading between the lines are you annoyed that you're not getting a refund and getting to keep the item? 👀
Easy answer, yes call eBay
21 Comments
Easy answer, yes call eBay
There are no humans to speak to at ebay... good luck. (If you first find please let me know too )
get them to call you.

My eBay > help & contact > scroll to the bottom > click have us call you (8am-9.30pm)
Easy speak to eBay, they ALWAYS fall on side of buyer now.
MA62YAM03/09/2020 21:40

There are no humans to speak to at ebay... good luck. (If you first find …There are no humans to speak to at ebay... good luck. (If you first find please let me know too )

Never had any trouble speaking to a human at ebay. How do u usually go about it?
deals6903/09/2020 22:23

Never had any trouble speaking to a human at ebay. How do u usually go …Never had any trouble speaking to a human at ebay. How do u usually go about it?

Recently? If so how? Thanks

I’ve been trying contacts numbers online forms all sorts no humans about
MA62YAM03/09/2020 22:32

Recently? If so how? Thanks I’ve been trying contacts numbers online forms …Recently? If so how? Thanks I’ve been trying contacts numbers online forms all sorts no humans about

Yup contacted them about 5 times in the last week. Use the app. Click help. Go through the questions and request a call back. If you select your options and it says its unavailable just use these options: selling payment hold on sold item then they'll call you back in the time frame it tells you within the opening hours
You would need to contact them during the day. They can ban a seller, or give temporary suspension for selling fake goods.
So to paraphrase:- you think an item you received is fake. You haven't researched/contacted nike/checked this to be true. You've been offered a return, but you want to destroy the item and also get your money back instead...because you feel it's fake. I imagine perhaps you'll also leave FB saying the seller is selling fakes, I may be wrong about that?

Maybe it is fake, who knows. But I can also tell you in a similar situation I got in touch with adidas regarding a suspected fake, sent photos Etc., and they told me it was legit. Please don't hurt the sellers reputation unless you have more to go on. Does their FB suggest a history of selling fakes?

- selling multiple tracksuits is not an indication of fakes, sellers often buy 'deadstock' in bulk
- differing quality across different types tracksuits is not an indication of fakes (e.g. I buy enough direct from Nike.com to know the stitching on some stuff is terrible)
- them accepting the return is not an indication it's fake, most sellers know ebay will side with the buyer and try to protect their FB by accepting
Edited by: "HottyHotty" 3rd Sep
It's down to Nike to police ebay/amazon etc. Plenty of brands have agents that place orders looking for fakes. Just return it and get your money back.
Request eBay defines "strong indicators", although eBay still leaves every option open by using the word "may" rather than "will" in the phrase:

"...If a buyer reports that an item is counterfeit and there are strong indicators that the item is counterfeit, eBay may not require the buyer to return the item to the seller. The buyer agrees to cooperate with us to ensure the proper disposal of the item. In such cases, we refund the buyer for the full cost of the item and original postage, and the seller reimburses us for the refund. The buyer may not sell the item on eBay or elsewhere..."
ebay.co.uk/hel…210
Reading between the lines are you annoyed that you're not getting a refund and getting to keep the item? 👀
MA62YAM03/09/2020 22:48

Comment deleted

No worries. Did phone them too to remove negative recently. Glad you have a good record
All that trouble just to keep it
Send it back and move on.

Loads of fakes on ebay/facebook, but the price will reflect that.
Similar thing happened to me with a pair of Timberlands. The seller sent me threatening emails which I forwarded to eBay.
Ebay were utterly useless, they didn't care about the threatening emails, only promising to have a word with the seller (seriously) and just asked me to send the fake shoes back which I did. No way on Earth would have I wanted to keep the shoes but eBay were not the slightest bit concerned that they were fake and were likely to be put straight back on sale by the seller.

Rubbish experience from Ebay, so if I were you just get your money back and let someone else deal with it.
Send back, get your money back. Greed got you in the first place if you suspected fakes why buy them, benefit of the doubt lol Have you not heard the saying “if something to good to be true”.
Fake stuff on eBay? Whatever next!
Sounds pretty excessive wanting to destroy it. Send it back, get your refund, and if you feel that strongly leave feedback telling your concerns.
Talk to ebay there customer service always been excellent for me
Post a comment
@
    Text