eBay Sellers

Posted 2nd Jan
Hi I wanted to ask eBay Sellers

1) When I buy a item from you, apart from my name and address, what other information or data do you see/get access to?

2) I have used eBay for many years, as a buyer and never sold anything.
I am planning to sell a item around £5ish

Any advise?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

24 Comments
phone number and sometimes email address

just sell, good photos, decent description etc. proper postage charge.
You may be able to get info on how many purchases they've made and their feedback rating
For an item around £5, you should try places like Gumtree first.
It is possible to get email address and phone number, but for a private seller (not a business) it can be harder to find this information.

Mainly it is the postal address and any normal public stuff such as eBay feedback etc.

If selling for the first time don't forget eBay take 10% of the final sale price, including 10% of whatever you charge for postage. Then there are PayPal fees on top.
bozo00702/01/2020 09:01

For an item around £5, you should try places like Gumtree first.

Been trying for 6 months That’s where I go first Thanks

In regards to the postage. If I say £2.99 Postage, oes it have to be that much? What happens if my real postage is cheaper around £1.99 e.g
Edited by: "MarioMan" 2nd Jan
For 5.00 wouldn't say its worth it to be fair once you have factored in your selling costs. Try Facebook marketplace as well
Try Shpock
Don't guess the postage, always weigh the item before you list it, including the packaging, and bear in mind the size of the package affects the postage cost too, not just the weight.

If you're only selling the one item you may as well list it as 'free' postage (obviously not really free, you're just adding the postage costs to the selling price).

Don't forget you'll get charged paypal fees as well as ebay fees, typically about 15% of the total selling price (including postage) will be taken as fees.
Edited by: "spoo" 2nd Jan
toddyj998702/01/2020 09:29

For 5.00 wouldn't say its worth it to be fair once you have factored in …For 5.00 wouldn't say its worth it to be fair once you have factored in your selling costs. Try Facebook marketplace as well

Agreed, by the time you factor in your time, packing, fees, and the postal cost (or use parcel2go.com) then you’d prob only see £3

God forbid the buyer has some kind of issue with the item (which on eBay is common).

Unless I’m selling something >£20 it’s usually not worth the hassle in my opinion
MarioMan02/01/2020 09:17

Been trying for 6 months That’s where I go first Thanks In regards to …Been trying for 6 months That’s where I go first Thanks In regards to the postage. If I say £2.99 Postage, oes it have to be that much? What happens if my real postage is cheaper around £1.99 e.g

You can charge whatever you like, but weigh the item and use the Royal Mail website to estimate the cost.
Small parcel, second class up to 2kg is £3.00 with Royal Mail so I charge £3.35 to allow for eBay fees and the cost of packaging materials.
I do sometimes get it wrong and find that an item is small enough to be a large letter so the post is cheaper, but I work on the idea that buyers have agreed to the sale at the price advertised so they must have been happy with my charges. If you know the envelope dimensions will be thin enough to be large letter, it won't cost more than £2 to post.

I would avoid significantly over-charging though, seeing postage of £5 on something is very off-putting as a buyer.
MarioMan02/01/2020 09:17

Been trying for 6 months That’s where I go first Thanks In regards to …Been trying for 6 months That’s where I go first Thanks In regards to the postage. If I say £2.99 Postage, oes it have to be that much? What happens if my real postage is cheaper around £1.99 e.g

I view any difference as the cost of the packaging (box, brown paper etc) and time to properly pack it to make it hard for the postie to smash.
For £5 factor in that eBay will take 10% and PayPal will also take I believe 2-3%. Them make sure your postage covers the cost to wrap it and post it - otherwise you could come out at a loss!
spoo02/01/2020 09:42

Don't guess the postage, always weigh the item before you list it, …Don't guess the postage, always weigh the item before you list it, including the packaging, and bear in mind the size of the package affects the postage cost too, not just the weight.If you're only selling the one item you may as well list it as 'free' postage (obviously not really free, you're just adding the postage costs to the selling price).Don't forget you'll get charged paypal fees as well as ebay fees, typically about 15% of the total selling price (including postage) will be taken as fees.

Some good advice there.

Anyway I’d give eBay selling a go. Probably best to start with a low value item so you can learn the process & see the costs, time & profits (or lack of) involved.
Not sure why so many people are advising against selling on eBay. For £5ish it is still worthwhile, but just remember ebay take 10% and then paypal take 2.9% plus 30p. so if the item sells for £5, ebay take 50p and paypal about 45p, so you get £4ish. Set the postage charge correctly and you still walk away with £4, that's not a bad amount of money!
jon81uk02/01/2020 10:22

Not sure why so many people are advising against selling on eBay. For …Not sure why so many people are advising against selling on eBay. For £5ish it is still worthwhile, but just remember ebay take 10% and then paypal take 2.9% plus 30p. so if the item sells for £5, ebay take 50p and paypal about 45p, so you get £4ish. Set the postage charge correctly and you still walk away with £4, that's not a bad amount of money!

It depends where you are financially.

10 years ago I did sell stuff on ebay where I'd only make a few £ after fees and postage, now I'm better off I just can't be bothered with the hassle unless I'm making £15+. Any low value items I don't need now go to charity.
I've sold a fair few items on ebay:

Unless it cash on collection - tick the box that states 'immediate payment on checkout'
Don't write a lengthy description. It'll work against you in most cases 'Condition as shown' include lots of images - actual image not stock, particularly if you're selling used.

Gift vouchers, mobile phones etc are high fraud categories - I've sold four gift vouchers, two of which went to hacked accounts, can't remember the actual details, but they were sold correctly so my funds were retained.

One thing to note with 'click and collect', if they don't bother to collect the item, you'll get it back and lose your outgoing postage
which to me is ridiculous. though, it gets returned free to you!
spankwilder02/01/2020 10:56

One thing to note with 'click and collect', if they don't bother to …One thing to note with 'click and collect', if they don't bother to collect the item, you'll get it back and lose your outgoing postagewhich to me is ridiculous. though, it gets returned free to you!

If you sent Royal Mail, the item didn't fit through the letterbox and then the buyer didn't collect from the sorting office, it is returned to you and you would probably need to refund the entire cost to the buyer so you still lost the postage cost. I don't think click and collect would be that much worse than post.
jon81uk02/01/2020 10:01

You can charge whatever you like, but weigh the item and use the Royal …You can charge whatever you like, but weigh the item and use the Royal Mail website to estimate the cost.Small parcel, second class up to 2kg is £3.00 with Royal Mail so I charge £3.35 to allow for eBay fees and the cost of packaging materials.I do sometimes get it wrong and find that an item is small enough to be a large letter so the post is cheaper, but I work on the idea that buyers have agreed to the sale at the price advertised so they must have been happy with my charges. If you know the envelope dimensions will be thin enough to be large letter, it won't cost more than £2 to post.I would avoid significantly over-charging though, seeing postage of £5 on something is very off-putting as a buyer.

Don't forget that using the small parcel option for £3 (£2.90 online through click and drop) will also give you a proof of delivery via the QR code system RM use.

This can be helpful in the event of a buyer claiming item not received.

Can be used on a large letter which will go through their door without the need for a signature but still give you enough for any dispute to be resolved amicably.

Insured to £20 using RM48
jon81uk02/01/2020 11:23

If you sent Royal Mail, the item didn't fit through the letterbox and then …If you sent Royal Mail, the item didn't fit through the letterbox and then the buyer didn't collect from the sorting office, it is returned to you and you would probably need to refund the entire cost to the buyer so you still lost the postage cost. I don't think click and collect would be that much worse than post.

True. it becomes the 'Sellers' fault in both instances. However, with Click and Collect it's more of a grievance to the seller as, they've picked the collection point and are fully aware of the opening hours. You've got to be a bit of a plonker to not collect.

Biz' sellers with shipping contracts will pay around 10-30% of standard shipping fees, so returned items aren't much of an issue and are absorbed into profit and loss. A low volume private seller, selling a £20 item with a £15 shipping charge, different story. That said, I've not had an issue with C&C, just one item sent (with the £15 shipping..) was collected on the last holding day before return.
Are you that desperate for a fiver?!
Rednirah02/01/2020 12:41

Are you that desperate for a fiver?!

If *you* can be willing to give me a fiver , I will happily throw away the item......

Thank you everyone! Yeah will be a good learning experience and good to now how high the fees are! Didnt know or consider Paypal and Postabge
MarioMan02/01/2020 14:25

If *you* can be willing to give me a fiver , I will happily throw away the …If *you* can be willing to give me a fiver , I will happily throw away the item......Thank you everyone! Yeah will be a good learning experience and good to now how high the fees are! Didnt know or consider Paypal and Postabge

Stop begging, some people!
Not worth it for £5 time you pay fees and postage- use Facebook marketplace
The only thing I would bother selling on ebay for a fiver is something with no inherent cost or value to me. Last thing I sold at that price point was an empty box...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions