Groups

Ebay selling

Hello everyone!
    I have been buying and selling on eBay for close to a decade but have heard some horror stories recently from sellers after they have sold specific items on there.
    I am looking to sell a newish HP laptop and a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge on eBay and was after peoples experience and advice on selling these types of items,including what to photograph and note before I send them?
    I know that selling on here or places like Gumtree may be better but I feel if I am cautious enough then I can carry on selling on ebay and using PayPal.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

20 Comments

That is why I wont sell my phone on eBay, I don't trust it anymore.

Serials, IMEI, video the packing even!
    Be very honest with your listing and take many pictures.
    Put a Buy It Now that's around average (with Immediate Payment ticked!), and let buyers make a best offer..

Before you know it you will have a fair few offers and it allows you to pick the buyer and even contact them before going ahead to try and get a feel for them.

Original Poster

djjinx1

Serials, IMEI, video the packing even!Be very honest with your listing … Serials, IMEI, video the packing even!Be very honest with your listing and take many pictures.Put a Buy It Now that's around average (with Immediate Payment ticked!), and let buyers make a best offer..Before you know it you will have a fair few offers and it allows you to pick the buyer and even contact them before going ahead to try and get a feel for them.

Thank you, very helpful. Might have to get a list of things to make sure I do lol.

I think that perhaps the best place you could be asking this is on the eBay forum where both buyers and sellers can share their experiences and get specific advice and support.

Never sold a laptop on there, but loads of phones. Be honest, loads of pics, take note of imei and serial numbers, restore to factory settings, sell to uk only, only use paypal, either buy it now with immediate payment required-or auction with your lowest acceptable price as opening bid, only sell/send to paypal verified members/addresses and always send special delivery.

Parts will get stripped out the phone and sent back to you not working and they get a full refund

Also forgot to mention,if you send the headphones with you phone,they will keep them and say that they didnt send back with your phone due to hygiene reasons.Cant be trusted .Sell to cex or somebody face to face.Lots of low life's out there sorry

Rich069

Never sold a laptop on there, but loads of phones. Be honest, loads of … Never sold a laptop on there, but loads of phones. Be honest, loads of pics, take note of imei and serial numbers, restore to factory settings, sell to uk only, only use paypal, either buy it now with immediate payment required-or auction with your lowest acceptable price as opening bid, only sell/send to paypal verified members/addresses and always send special delivery.

​cash on collection would be better than paypal. but that does limit buyers

I would never sell any electrical or high-value items on eBay.
    You stand to lose too much if you lose a 'dispute'.

A friend of mine once sold a few DVDs which was sent registered delivery.
    They signed for the items and then filed a dispute saying they never received it.
    Paypal sided with the buyer even though there was proof of purchase.

Anecdotal, but it put me off selling all together on there.

not everyone on ebay are crooks it's probably not worth selling high price items due to all the fees u got to pay just track the item make sure it's signed for all u can do

bracey100

not everyone on ebay are crooks it's probably not worth selling high … not everyone on ebay are crooks it's probably not worth selling high price items due to all the fees u got to pay just track the item make sure it's signed for all u can do

Ebay are the biggest crooks

kirkatronics

X2??

djjinx1

Serials, IMEI, video the packing even!Be very honest with your listing … Serials, IMEI, video the packing even!Be very honest with your listing and take many pictures.Put a Buy It Now that's around average (with Immediate Payment ticked!), and let buyers make a best offer..Before you know it you will have a fair few offers and it allows you to pick the buyer and even contact them before going ahead to try and get a feel for them.

Videoing the packing is a waste of time. Will not offer any extra guarantee at all.

kirkatronics

​I agree I use it for buying not for selling

Banned

Gumtree is actually better in my opinion. any decent item is sure to be sold fairly quickly in my experience.

CEX. You may get a slighly lower price, but its a legit sale with no come backs.

More hassle than it's worth

Another for Gumtree here.

I wouldn't sell anything on eBay I thought would sell for more than £75.

I've been stung a few times but nothing of high value.

Cash on collection.

EstorilBlue

CEX. You may get a slighly lower price, but its a legit sale with no come … CEX. You may get a slighly lower price, but its a legit sale with no come backs.

The last time I was quoted a "lower price" by CEX, I ended up selling for more than three times as much on eBay. In terms of getting the best possible price, nothing touches eBay.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866382
      2. word association Game74044544
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468
      4. Spotify Family Premium share721

See more discussions