eBay - selling an item only for the buyer to change his mind the next day ?!

Found 23rd May 2015
Sold a 3 piece suite yesterday on eBay, here's what's happened -
Listed the item on eBay
Message off buyer asking if I've a buy it now price ?
Replied no buy it now but open to offers.
Message off buyer would I accept £300?
Seeing as it's a fair offer replied to say yes,
Buyer - please edit your eBay listing with a buy it now price and I'll buy it
I added a buy it now price and the buyer bought it - paid with PayPal

This was yesterday- today I get a message from the buyer saying he's wrote his car off today and can no longer afford the item - saying he wants a full refund ?!
I've declined as I've already paid eBay and also PayPal there fees saying a full refund is not possible!

Buyers reply is along the lines of not his problem and he'll take it up with the authorities?!

It would appear looking at his ' feedback ' on eBay he's not a reputable buyer ( 94 % ) some saying avoid due to various reasons !

What would you do as the seller ??
Community Updates
42 Comments
If he takes it to dispute it will go in his favour, I hate ebay for this reason. you may just be better refunding him and trying to sell it again. You should be refunded fees if you are offering a refund on full. not your fault, but us it worth the hassle! good luck!!
Banned
tell him he has 180 days to collect. after that you will dispose of the sofa suite, and charge a disposal fee of what ever you like to charge for that
Banned
as it was a collect only item a item not received case can not be opened
Do not take paypal request cash on collection buyer is always refunded regardless your fees are refunded to should be able to relist for free .Bar buyer from bidding again ;listing him on bid reject page.
Original Poster
Thanks guys for your inputs, item was listed as collection only with no returns - in his message he says as he's not took possession of the item so the law is on his side ( and he knows the law apparently being an graduate - his words ) I've said I can't offer a full refund and that he'll have to take it up with the relevant people - full refund isn't possible as I've already paid the fees from eBay and PayPal
Banned
I had a similar problem when I sold an item that was collection only. Item sold for 99p and buyer paid with PayPal. In the end they never collected and I spoke to PayPal and they stated that I had to keep the item for 180 days so the buyer could collect. This was 6 months ago so best to call ebay and PayPal to confirm this.
Original Poster

Comment

discount4cash

Do not take paypal request cash on collection buyer is always refunded … Do not take paypal request cash on collection buyer is always refunded regardless your fees are refunded to should be able to relist for free .Bar buyer from bidding again ;listing him on bid reject page.

I've already transferred the money from PayPal to my bank account - would my bank refund it upon request from PayPal ?
Banned
pennyfarthing88

Thanks guys for your inputs, item was listed as collection only with no … Thanks guys for your inputs, item was listed as collection only with no returns - in his message he says as he's not took possession of the item so the law is on his side ( and he knows the law apparently being an graduate - his words ) I've said I can't offer a full refund and that he'll have to take it up with the relevant people - full refund isn't possible as I've already paid the fees from eBay and PayPal

Send them a message about item needs to be collected within 180 days if not a £10 a day storage charge will apply for upto 90 days then after 90 days you will pursue them for costs through the courts
Personally, I would mutually agree with the buyer to cancel the transaction and re-list the item. That way you get your eBay fees back. This buyer is clearly going to hassle you...I wouldn't waste anymore of your time.
tell buyer to collect before you charge a holding fee.
Original Poster

Comment

karlie88

Personally, I would mutually agree with the buyer to cancel the … Personally, I would mutually agree with the buyer to cancel the transaction and re-list the item. That way you get your eBay fees back. This buyer is clearly going to hassle you...I wouldn't waste anymore of your time.

Thanks - to be fair I've not said I won't refund the money, just that I can't give him a full refund, it's at this point he's got on his high horse saying they'll be trouble if I don't ( or words to that effect ) if eBay and PayPal can confirm a full refund then I'm happy to consider offering a full refund - surely that's reasonable ? And surely it's up to him to see to it that happens before i consider a full refund ?
pennyfarthing88

CommentThanks - to be fair I've not said I won't refund the money, just … CommentThanks - to be fair I've not said I won't refund the money, just that I can't give him a full refund, it's at this point he's got on his high horse saying they'll be trouble if I don't ( or words to that effect ) if eBay and PayPal can confirm a full refund then I'm happy to consider offering a full refund - surely that's reasonable ? And surely it's up to him to see to it that happens before i consider a full refund ?

If you cancel the transaction via eBay (select a reason against the seller) and refund via PayPal, you won't lose out on eBay or PayPal fees.

You could follow the advice by other HUKDers, but I find it can be a little time consuming and you're likely to get negative feedback.

Also, how much do you think you would have got had you left the auction to continue?
Edited by: "karlie88" 23rd May 2015
Original Poster

Comment

devillived

I had a similar problem when I sold an item that was collection only. … I had a similar problem when I sold an item that was collection only. Item sold for 99p and buyer paid with PayPal. In the end they never collected and I spoke to PayPal and they stated that I had to keep the item for 180 days so the buyer could collect. This was 6 months ago so best to call ebay and PayPal to confirm this.

Good advice - thanks
pennyfarthing88

CommentThanks - to be fair I've not said I won't refund the money, just … CommentThanks - to be fair I've not said I won't refund the money, just that I can't give him a full refund, it's at this point he's got on his high horse saying they'll be trouble if I don't ( or words to that effect ) if eBay and PayPal can confirm a full refund then I'm happy to consider offering a full refund - surely that's reasonable ? And surely it's up to him to see to it that happens before i consider a full refund ?

To the right of the item you will have an option that says "cancel transaction", select that and then you will have the option that says something along the lines of the buyer has changed their mind. Make sure you chose that option and that will send a mutual cancellation request to the buyer, when they accept a refund will automatically be issued and you will have the fees reimbursed. This will cost you nothing that way and less hassle.

Do not refund through PayPal though, do the above.

Edited by: "joshp" 23rd May 2015
Original Poster

Comment

karlie88

If you cancel the transaction via eBay (select a reason against the … If you cancel the transaction via eBay (select a reason against the seller) and refund via PayPal, you won't lose out on eBay or PayPal fees.You could follow the advice by other HUKDers, but I find it can be a little time consuming and you're likely to get negative feedback.Also, how much do you think you would have got had you left the auction to continue?

Thanks, I think I'd have got around the same amount when looking at what other suites are selling for, possibly a bit less or more depending on who's in the market at time of sale, some good answers on this thread - thanks
Just not worth the hassle or your time with this guy...personally i would refund him his money minus any losses to yourself but losses in monetary sense shd be nil as all fees are returned on sale being cancelled...just done it with item two days ago and fees were paid back within 15 minutes,The only loss to you is your time&effort and i would not waste anymore of it tbh...Good luck with your relisting..And im selling a leather swivel reclining chair&foot stool with electric massage function on ebay rite now ends tomorrow!!!!
Original Poster

Comment

kebo_75

Just not worth the hassle or your time with this guy...personally i would … Just not worth the hassle or your time with this guy...personally i would refund him his money minus any losses to yourself but losses in monetary sense shd be nil as all fees are returned on sale being cancelled...just done it with item two days ago and fees were paid back within 15 minutes,The only loss to you is your time&effort and i would not waste anymore of it tbh...Good luck with your relisting..And im selling a leather swivel reclining chair&foot stool with electric massage function on ebay rite now ends tomorrow!!!!

Yea I agree - it's not worth the aggro' I was selling the suite on behalf of my parents who were over the moon earlier after I gave them the money saying it was sold. Now I've got the potential hassle of telling them the buyer is a time waster and I may have to refund him
Original Poster
Look at this on eBay:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191586033130

Leather 4 piece suite - Immaculate Condition ** No Reserve **

Just wondered what you guys may think as to its worth ?
Cancel the transaction using 'the buyer asked to cancel this transaction or their was an error with the buyers address' and move on. You will get your fees back from Ebay.

It is a pain in the **** I know but you really have no choice in the matter.

Edited by: "NEtech" 23rd May 2015
If you know his address you could have him taken out
pennyfarthing88

Just read the part where you said you will not give a full refund.

You really have no choice. You will have to refund in full, if not then Ebay will force you to.
Original Poster

Comment

PLANKT0N0

If you know his address you could have him taken out

Taken out to where ? What are you suggesting
Original Poster

Comment

NEtech

Just read the part where you said you will not give a full refund.You … Just read the part where you said you will not give a full refund.You really have no choice. You will have to refund in full, if not then Ebay will force you to.

The ' full ' refund is difficult because I've already been charged fees for the sale' my argument is that I can't refund in full because I've already paid out these fees' not to mention its kind of morally wrong that the buyer can't collect the item because he's allegedly wrote his car off - I suggested in my reply to consider hiring a van - but he's not mentioned that in his reply
OPs original comments regarding eBay feedback score..... I had 100% feedback with 400+ positives but 1 negative from an idiot in France knocked it instantly down to 94%. subsequent positives (6) have still only pushed me up to 95.5%
Original Poster

Comment

u664541

OPs original comments regarding eBay feedback score..... I had 100% … OPs original comments regarding eBay feedback score..... I had 100% feedback with 400+ positives but 1 negative from an idiot in France knocked it instantly down to 94%. subsequent positives (6) have still only pushed me up to 95.5%

Sorry to hear that but this trader has feedback from a few different people saying avoid - all for different ( yet similar reasons ) so my point is a valid one - thanks anyway
pennyfarthing88

CommentThe ' full ' refund is difficult because I've already been charged … CommentThe ' full ' refund is difficult because I've already been charged fees for the sale' my argument is that I can't refund in full because I've already paid out these fees' not to mention its kind of morally wrong that the buyer can't collect the item because he's allegedly wrote his car off - I suggested in my reply to consider hiring a van - but he's not mentioned that in his reply

Charged what fee's? eBay? PayPal? As I said, they will automatically be refunded if you do as I suggested. You will not be charged anything!
Original Poster

Comment

joshp

Charged what fee's? eBay? PayPal? As I said, they will automatically be … Charged what fee's? eBay? PayPal? As I said, they will automatically be refunded if you do as I suggested. You will not be charged anything!

Yes both eBay fees ( £30 ) and PayPal took there bit for processing the transaction as well' I'll try as you suggested - if I get a full refund as you suggest then i may refund the money - I'm also tempted as others have suggested though to not bother though and give the buyer 180 days to collect ( after that it'll be scrapped ) I'm just not sure what to do for the best - thanks
Banned
pennyfarthing88

CommentYes both eBay fees ( £30 ) and PayPal took there bit for … CommentYes both eBay fees ( £30 ) and PayPal took there bit for processing the transaction as well' I'll try as you suggested - if I get a full refund as you suggest then i may refund the money - I'm also tempted as others have suggested though to not bother though and give the buyer 180 days to collect ( after that it'll be scrapped ) I'm just not sure what to do for the best - thanks

call ebay and paypal for the correct answer
I'd get his address from eBay, drop the sofa off in his front garden, ring the doorbell and be done with it!
Can't stand buyers like this. Whether he genuinely needs the money or not a deals a deal and the buyer shouldn't be spending money they need for emergencies.
You're only making life hard work for yourself now. Refund via the eBay cancel transaction route and all fees will be refunded. Dont try to complicate matters or force the buyer. yes there is a remote chance you might win but very likely not.

Tip for the future. .. save yourself money and don't accept PayPal for collection items.
Am I correct in saying that when you say you've already paid the eBay fees? - You mean you manually went and paid the £30 fees once you received payment?
I think the majority of people are thinking that the fees are on your account and still need paying and once you cancel the transaction, eBay will refund/reverse the fees. As you've already paid the fees, I'm not sure that eBay will refund you the £30 back to your Paypal/card account, or leave your eBay seller account in credit by £30 - I've had my account in credit before so I know it's possible. Which I'm guessing is where the problem comes in. If you did refund and eBay did credit your account, then effectively you'll have paid £30 from your own money. If you relisted the sofa then, it shouldnt be a problem for too long anyway as hopefully you'll sell the sofa for circa £300 again anyway. But, I do see where your coming from, until it is re-sold, you are out of pocket, if I've understood you correctly anyway. - With regards to Paypal fees, when the seller is refunded, Paypal automatically reimburse their fees towards the refund anyway so Paypal fees aren't an issue. Just telling your parents it's not sold and presumably putting the money back in your bank from them and the eBay fees.
As others have said, your best bet is to contact eBay. And query the fees - if you have paid it, will they put your account in credit or refund it back to your payment method.
Also, just clicked on your link you posted, is it possible that the buyer bid on another sofa and won? I can see they are the highest bidder on two sofas, presumably one being yours. The other one, I can't see if it's ended or not but, I can see they are the highest bidder on another item in the same category. I've had people ask to cancel bids/transactions, some say they've bought/won another item, others make excuses.
pennyfarthing88

CommentYes both eBay fees ( £30 ) and PayPal took there bit for … CommentYes both eBay fees ( £30 ) and PayPal took there bit for processing the transaction as well' I'll try as you suggested - if I get a full refund as you suggest then i may refund the money - I'm also tempted as others have suggested though to not bother though and give the buyer 180 days to collect ( after that it'll be scrapped ) I'm just not sure what to do for the best - thanks

Just caught up with your thread.

Ok heres my interpretation and information I can offer as a big ebay user:

1)If you cancel transaction and full rerfund you will not essentially be refunded your final fee items but you will recieve a credit back for the same amount to your ebay account.

2)any negative comments you will be able to remove if you request from ebay if you do eventually refund the transaction because the sale was voided.

3) If you choose to fight it out, then best of luck. Sometimes you can win them but not very often Ive won 1 out of 3 that buyers have messed me about on. or have changed their mind

u664541

OPs original comments regarding eBay feedback score..... I had 100% … OPs original comments regarding eBay feedback score..... I had 100% feedback with 400+ positives but 1 negative from an idiot in France knocked it instantly down to 94%. subsequent positives (6) have still only pushed me up to 95.5%

You can contest it what was the negative for?

If its postage you can claim to ebay that delay was out of your hands as it was international
If its damage you can claim its international shipping
If its communication you can claim that is was language issues.

Failing that if it was deserved negative feedback then unlucky mate, i did have one myself but contested it and had it removed
How annoying some Ebay buyers are! I've got loads of ' annoying eBay buyers' stories that I won't bore you with, lol. But, re you having transferred PayPal funds- isn't your debit card linked to your PayPal? From memory, I think this is a requirement, so hopefully you won't have to mess about transferring funds, it'll get taken out from your bank automatically? And I doubt your buyers car story is true, prob more like ' buyers remorse' or his Mrs has stuck her oar in. And doubly annoying as whilst your listing showed as sold, you've potentially missed out on other buyers. I can only do eBay in fits and starts, as it tries my patience too much. Nothing to add really, as other posts have run through it all, just sending you some sympathy:)
As jonwilkie has said, if you have already paid your Ebay fees once you cancel the transaction then your Ebay account and PayPal account will be credited with the fees that you have paid.

You will not lose out on a single penny other then the couple of pence it will have cost you to list it if it cost you anything at all.

The person is clearly not going to go through with the transaction and I am sure they can back out and get a refund at any time, even if you are a private seller I am sure there will be something in place where they can cancel and get a refund. (Not really clued up on private seller rules as I have only really used a business account).

But on the whole, if you refund you will not lose a single penny, your account will be re-credited with any fees that you have been charged. But you must choose the option 'the buyer asked to cancel this transaction or there was a problem with the buyers address'. This way you are letting Ebay know that it is the buyer who cancelled the transaction and not you and you will be credited with your fees on both Ebay and PayPal.
Edited by: "NEtech" 24th May 2015
I understand it is annoying, inconvenient and clearly goes against the whole set up of auctions. I'd say tell the 'buyer' you will give a partial refund as because at his request you had put a buy it now price and potentially lost out on a sale. it will hopefully help you cover any costs and as others have said you will be reimbursed your fees. I'd try that and see what they say.
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and ideas, it looks like i've no choice but to refund via the cancellation process as suggested, so frustrating though seeing as i'll have to re-list the suite, think i will try and block certain potential buyers from bidding ( those with less then 100% feedback ) if this is possible? thanks again
pennyfarthing88

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and ideas, it looks like i've no … Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and ideas, it looks like i've no choice but to refund via the cancellation process as suggested, so frustrating though seeing as i'll have to re-list the suite, think i will try and block certain potential buyers from bidding ( those with less then 100% feedback ) if this is possible? thanks again

last thing put it in your description, no buyers below a 90% feedback score or with zero rating.
Also include in your description that under no circumstances will you allow bid retraction at the end for any reason and that any bid is placed with a knowledge that once bidding is complete purchase is final. This way if you experience the same again and its a large amount, law is on your side. My current description reads the following disclaimer at the end: All purchases are sold as seen in the photographs, no liabilty is taken for any care once removed from my property. Any damages in postage willl be at the stated couriers responsibilty and any claims must be made to them. You place any bid with a view to purchase and bid retractions are not valid unless agreed prior to auction end.
you will have to terminate your bank association with your account otherwise paypal will debit your account terminate account and start another if you choose not to refund or repay.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants