Ebay selling digital xbox game code

Posted 4th Dec 2018
I need some help with the following query...

So I have a digital code for an xbox game which I dont want so I decided to sell on Ebay. I listed this code on Ebay and it sold within minutes.

I know about the Ebay scam for digital codes so I listed postage or collection only.

So it sold, and then the guy messaged me 3 times to email him the code as he doesnt want to wait.

Well I didnt, and I still have the code and I intended on posting it today.

My question is am I covered if I post the code via recorded delivery so I have proof of delivery.

Is this enough to provide me with seller protection so I dont lose out?

I'm thinking the guys trying to scam me. I've fallen foul this is the past so I dont want to make the same mistake again.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
So what's the question?
alanlukeb14 m ago

So what's the question?

My question is am I covered if I post the code via recorded delivery so I have proof of delivery.

Is this enough to provide me with seller protection so I dont lose out?

i think that answers you..
If your gut feeling is your being scammed then you probably are. Go with your gut and cancel the sale it's not worth the grief
Hey!! I sold mine last week and messeged the code to someone who had 1k feedback, straight after I have the code and bang! PayPal reversed the payment.

Do not send it without royal mail. Offer him 1st class
There is no such thing as Recorded Delivery.

Any form of proof of delivery will cover you for an INR (item not received) but what about when he uses the code and then says it didn't work?
Paypal now covers digital goods so you're protected.

No need to physically post it.

"Provide as much relevant evidence as you can to support your response to claims. The more the better. For example, for sales of digital downloads you might provide proof that you sent the buyer a link and that the buyer accessed the download including dates and times."
paypal.com/uk/…ate
Edited by: "hearts22" 4th Dec 2018
windym04/12/2018 17:57

There is no such thing as Recorded Delivery. Any form of proof of …There is no such thing as Recorded Delivery. Any form of proof of delivery will cover you for an INR (item not received) but what about when he uses the code and then says it didn't work?

I would get proof from Microsoft of when the code was redeemed...
hearts2204/12/2018 19:46

Would ms provide that
You can't prove he hasn't used the code you sold him, you can only prove it gets delivered. He'd get his money back off you. Good luck.
samosa5 h, 37 m ago

Would ms provide that

They should.
They can check when it was redeemed if you ask. If it gets redeemed after it's been sent to the buyer it can't have been sold already used. Simple.

That's all you need to prove.
Edited by: "hearts22" 5th Dec 2018
Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like I’m keeping it
hearts2204/12/2018 19:46

The buyer reports the account being hacked! It happened to me last week and it's happened to many people, a quick Google search will answer you.
Microsoft can't do anything, it's between PayPal and eBay and I spent 40 minutes talking to Microsoft and asked If they could remove the game from the users account or speak to fraud department, they don't have any such thing.
Misslovely37 m ago

The buyer reports the account being hacked! It happened to me last week …The buyer reports the account being hacked! It happened to me last week and it's happened to many people, a quick Google search will answer you. Microsoft can't do anything, it's between PayPal and eBay and I spent 40 minutes talking to Microsoft and asked If they could remove the game from the users account or speak to fraud department, they don't have any such thing.

That can happen with any purchase.

I am just saying you ask Microsoft when the code was redeemed and any relevant info.
As long as it was after you gave it to the buyer you have fulfilled your obligations as a seller.
Edited by: "hearts22" 5th Dec 2018
kklown3 h, 14 m ago

Thanks for the comments guys. Looks like I’m keeping it

That's not a bad decision. I sold a couple of digital only codes before and in my case my buyers didn't cause me grief but I can see why people are not too happy about selling codes.
Update...

So I havent posted the game code and I was going to cancel the transacton so he could get his refund. I was however going to leave it a few days to see what heppens with the buyer as he hasnt contacted me since his original request for me to send him the codes digitally.

Well this morning an emails arrived from Paypal. The buyer is claiming he didnt authorise the Paypal transaction

I told you this smelt fishy...

Heres the Paypal email I received with personal details removed...

Dear ...

The sender of the payment outlined below has requested their financial institution to reverse (part, or all of) this payment. They've cited the following reason:

The buyer stated that they did not authorise this purchase.

If you have any additional information to help us resolve this case, please log in to your PayPal account and go to our Resolution Centre to send it to us by 16 December 2018.

Here's how:

Log in to your PayPal account. Go to the Resolution Centre. Click Respond in the Action column. Follow the instructions to upload or fax your information. If we don't receive a response by 16 December 2018, this case will be closed and the transaction amount (less any previous refunds) will be debited from your PayPal balance.

If this is a digital goods transaction, please provide the download date and time for the associated purchase through the Resolution Center to help us dispute your case.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

Whats interesting is they included "If this is a digital goods transaction, please provide the download date and time for the associated purchase through the Resolution Center to help us dispute your case.".

How would one go about doing this?

I knew this dude was trying to screw me. Its probably not the first time he's done this.
kklown2 h, 52 m ago

Update...So I havent posted the game code and I was going to cancel the …Update...So I havent posted the game code and I was going to cancel the transacton so he could get his refund. I was however going to leave it a few days to see what heppens with the buyer as he hasnt contacted me since his original request for me to send him the codes digitally.Well this morning an emails arrived from Paypal. The buyer is claiming he didnt authorise the Paypal transaction I told you this smelt fishy...Heres the Paypal email I received with personal details removed...Dear ... The sender of the payment outlined below has requested their financial institution to reverse (part, or all of) this payment. They've cited the following reason: The buyer stated that they did not authorise this purchase.If you have any additional information to help us resolve this case, please log in to your PayPal account and go to our Resolution Centre to send it to us by 16 December 2018. Here's how:Log in to your PayPal account. Go to the Resolution Centre. Click Respond in the Action column. Follow the instructions to upload or fax your information. If we don't receive a response by 16 December 2018, this case will be closed and the transaction amount (less any previous refunds) will be debited from your PayPal balance. If this is a digital goods transaction, please provide the download date and time for the associated purchase through the Resolution Center to help us dispute your case. Thank you for your cooperation. Yours sincerely, PayPalWhats interesting is they included "If this is a digital goods transaction, please provide the download date and time for the associated purchase through the Resolution Center to help us dispute your case.".How would one go about doing this?I knew this dude was trying to screw me. Its probably not the first time he's done this.

I'm happy you didn't . I told you
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants