Ebay selling - parcel not received, hermes left at secure place. What's next?

Found 14th Dec 2015
Sold low cost item (under 10 quids) on ebay. Buyer claimed not received. Hermes track showed left at secure place. Should seller refund the buyer or what's next?

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

40 Comments

yes as ebay will refund anyway and if you do it voluntarily you will save the fees and not get a strike on your account

you will end up having to refund the buyer as they will just open a dispute and ebay 9 out of 10 times sides with the buyer. I would get on to hermes as they should not be leaving parcels. I always make a note on the labels saying DO NOT LEAVE, + RETURN IF UNDELIVERED

Original Poster

So I can't get the compensation from hermes as it was delivered?

leeanna

ask them anyway. also ask them to clarify where secure place is as the recipient had not found it. they are meant to be a delivery service, not a treasure hunt organiser!

The "secure place" they leave my parcels, is at the side of the bin!

Hermes are notorios for just leaving parcels - sometimes not even at the correct address! My mum had a parcel left on her step for an address 10 miles from her, she rang Hermes, they never came to collect it so the poor addressee never got her parcel and my mum now has a nice bedside lamp for free!

annewilko

The "secure place" they leave my parcels, is at the side of the bin!

they probably thought no one would look at the bin

Original Poster

I better avoid hermes next time. I thought they have tracking so it seems better than royal mail.

leeanna

I better avoid hermes next time. I thought they have tracking so it seems … I better avoid hermes next time. I thought they have tracking so it seems better than royal mail.

they are hit and miss but they are cheap. I got something I paid £44 for from eBay. arrived fine. I was at home though. things tend to go wrong when there is no one at home then they leave it anywhere from reviews.

Bargainhuntersupreme

Hermes are notorios for just leaving parcels - sometimes not even at the … Hermes are notorios for just leaving parcels - sometimes not even at the correct address! My mum had a parcel left on her step for an address 10 miles from her, she rang Hermes, they never came to collect it so the poor addressee never got her parcel and my mum now has a nice bedside lamp for free!

​Think you find that's theft

cwj3820

​Think you find that's theft

I think you'll find it's no such thing.

She told Hermes that the parcel was there. Hermes did nothing about it. She's got no responsibility to redeliver, she's very generous to be looking after the delivery while waiting for it to be picked up, she would have been well within her rights to dispose of by now.
Edited by: "eayragt" 14th Dec 2015

eayragt

I think you'll find it's no such thing.She told Hermes that the parcel … I think you'll find it's no such thing.She told Hermes that the parcel was there. Hermes did nothing about it. She's got no responsibility to redeliver, she's very generous to be looking after the delivery while waiting for it to be picked up, she would have been well within her rights to dispose of by now.

​true, its like someone accidentally losing £5 in the street, the finder reporting it but then nobody claiming it. what else are you going to do

leeanna

I better avoid hermes next time. I thought they have tracking so it seems … I better avoid hermes next time. I thought they have tracking so it seems better than royal mail.

A lot of buyers are unscrupulous especially at this time of the year and want Xmas pressies for free,the amount of missing items always increases at Christmas regardless of what carrier you use.That said Hermes could have left it outside & it was stolen.

Contact Hermes on Facebook with the parcel ID number and they maybe able to tell you more.

I find it helps not to give the recipient tracking details either,don't put temptation under the nose of unscrupulous people.

leeanna

Yes you can but it won't be a quick process.

I sold an item on eBay, around£30. Sent it by myhermes and paid the extra £1 for signature. The daft **** left it in a recycling bin that got emptied the next morning! I had been emailing the buyer with tracking etc and she failed to tell me she was away a couple of days as I would have held off posting.

Anyway after about 10 days I got a refund from them. If you specifically paid for signature (which I did) then they certainly shouldn't be leaving items in a bin. Still makes me mad as a brand new item has went missing!

adamspencer95

​true, its like someone accidentally losing £5 in the street, the finder r … ​true, its like someone accidentally losing £5 in the street, the finder reporting it but then nobody claiming it. what else are you going to do

I've had several parcels delivered elsewhere & the people have brought them round,granted not ten miles away but still,we must be more helpful in Manc X)

takethatfan1978

Yes you can but it won't be a quick process.I sold an item on eBay, … Yes you can but it won't be a quick process.I sold an item on eBay, around£30. Sent it by myhermes and paid the extra £1 for signature. The daft **** left it in a recycling bin that got emptied the next morning! I had been emailing the buyer with tracking etc and she failed to tell me she was away a couple of days as I would have held off posting. Anyway after about 10 days I got a refund from them. If you specifically paid for signature (which I did) then they certainly shouldn't be leaving items in a bin. Still makes me mad as a brand new item has went missing!

That's what I mean by the temptation is too much for some people,who knows if the item did get disposed of,don't get mad about it,the buyer may well have been telling you a lie and they have the item,nobody knows because no signature was obtained.

deb8z

That's what I mean by the temptation is too much for some people,who … That's what I mean by the temptation is too much for some people,who knows if the item did get disposed of,don't get mad about it,the buyer may well have been telling you a lie and they have the item,nobody knows because no signature was obtained.

It was signed for by the courier guy so I know it was just left, I also checked the council site and yes the bins were empires on that day.
Buyer may well have been fibbing but it doesn't look like it, I was angry at the courier just leaving it especially when I paid extra to get a signature. Signature of buyer not lazy courier.

Unfortunately they get paid peanuts, so they want to get rid of parcels and not keep delivering as they get no extra money for it

takethatfan1978

It was signed for by the courier guy so I know it was just left, I also … It was signed for by the courier guy so I know it was just left, I also checked the council site and yes the bins were empires on that day.Buyer may well have been fibbing but it doesn't look like it, I was angry at the courier just leaving it especially when I paid extra to get a signature. Signature of buyer not lazy courier.

It's a usual trick for couriers to leave parcels in bins,Royal Mail left two parcels in my recycling bin last week too,they don't usually do that & one was my Babyliss curlers I could quite easily have said they had gone to the tip too but I didn't.

I'm too much of a cynic,they were on holiday AND the bins were out too,did you check on Google street view if they live somewhere where the bins are left out all the time

At the end of the day the courier didn't get a signature so it was win win for everyone bar him.

was going to ship a tablet with hermes until i saw their insurance does not cover electronics

mattmerch

was going to ship a tablet with hermes until i saw their insurance does … was going to ship a tablet with hermes until i saw their insurance does not cover electronics

They don't cover a lot of things,there's quite a big list isn't there

eayragt

we must be more helpful in Manc X)

Here too. I wouldn't dream of keeping and using someone else's parcel that had been delivered to me. If the courier failed to respond, I'd deliver it myself because it's the decent thing to do. It's not like a £5 note dropped in the street where you don't know who it belongs to. On a parcel you have full name and address details. What is wrong with people?

ordered some clothes got my tracking details the last info I got was delivered to courier that was 8 00 am. parcel turns up at 7 30pm what's happening? I asked the delivery women and she said I'm in a hurry did not get a chance to update status of delivery. hermes not good it's every time

dilahk

ordered some clothes got my tracking details the last info I got was … ordered some clothes got my tracking details the last info I got was delivered to courier that was 8 00 am. parcel turns up at 7 30pm what's happening? I asked the delivery women and she said I'm in a hurry did not get a chance to update status of delivery. hermes not good it's every time

I'm not sure what you're trying to say,are you complaining that the parcel wasn't delivered until 7.30pm?

Original Poster

deb8z

A lot of buyers are unscrupulous especially at this time of the year and … A lot of buyers are unscrupulous especially at this time of the year and want Xmas pressies for free,the amount of missing items always increases at Christmas regardless of what carrier you use.That said Hermes could have left it outside & it was stolen.Contact Hermes on Facebook with the parcel ID number and they maybe able to tell you more.I find it helps not to give the recipient tracking details either,don't put temptation under the nose of unscrupulous people.

Thanks, I will do as suggested and see how it goes.

adamspencer95

​true, its like someone accidentally losing £5 in the street, the finder r … ​true, its like someone accidentally losing £5 in the street, the finder reporting it but then nobody claiming it. what else are you going to do

​The difference there is that you reported it I take it you mean to police therefore if no one claims it then it's yours after a certain time

Never had a problem with myhermes until recently
Sold an item , sent it signed for
They are supposed to make 3 attempts
First attempt and left in a safe place
Buyer claims non reciept
Ive contacted myhermes asking for a claim form
I wont be out of pocket !
Everything goes signed for , trust nobody

ceres

Here too. I wouldn't dream of keeping and using someone else's parcel … Here too. I wouldn't dream of keeping and using someone else's parcel that had been delivered to me. If the courier failed to respond, I'd deliver it myself because it's the decent thing to do. It's not like a £5 note dropped in the street where you don't know who it belongs to. On a parcel you have full name and address details. What is wrong with people?

My mother would have taken it round had she a car, she lives 1200ft up a Welsh mountain, only 20 houses in her hamlet, 10 miles to the nearest town over the mountain. No public transport. She rang Hermes, gave them a fair time to collect it (4 weeks), rang the local postie to ask if he'd deliver it as a favour, he couldn't. I think expecting a disabled 80 year old with no transport to deliver a parcel involving a 20 mile round trip is a bit much. There are always more to a simple story, please don't judge my mum's reticence to get involved as disinterest, and she certainly hasn't stolen anything from anyone.

If an eBay case is opened by the buyer, it will be found in the sellers favour.

If there is electronic proof of delivery (which Hermes provide, signature NOT required due to value of item), even a safe place, then ebay will support the seller.

If the parcel is not found in the safe place then you have a theft from the buyer, which should be reported to the Police and not the Seller, eBay or Hermes.

Everything you need to know is in UK law and eBay rules.

Here is the eBay policy, direct from the site...

"How are sellers protected from losing a case?
For “item not received” cases, if sellers post the item within their stated handling time and provide a valid proof of delivery for the item, eBay is likely to decide in their favour.

“Proof of delivery” is online documentation from a postal company that includes all of the following:

A status of “delivered” (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered) and the date of delivery.

The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent).

Signature Confirmation for transactions that total £750 or more".

End of discussion.
Edited by: "EstorilBlue" 14th Dec 2015

Bradleigh

Never had a problem with myhermes until recentlySold an item , sent it … Never had a problem with myhermes until recentlySold an item , sent it signed forThey are supposed to make 3 attemptsFirst attempt and left in a safe placeBuyer claims non recieptIve contacted myhermes asking for a claim formI wont be out of pocket !Everything goes signed for , trust nobody

If you are talking about eBay selling then you wont need to send everything as "signed for". Electronic proof of delivery is all that you need for items with a value under £750, if the item value is less than this then you are just wasting money as it does not influence the case process, as stated above.

Edited by: "EstorilBlue" 14th Dec 2015

EBay policy, direct from eBay.

How are sellers protected from losing a case?

For “item not received” cases, if sellers post the item within their stated handling time and provide a valid proof of delivery for the item, eBay is likely to decide in their favour.

“Proof of delivery” is online documentation from a postal company that includes all of the following:

- A status of “delivered” (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered) and the date of delivery.

- The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent).

- Signature Confirmation for transactions that total £750 or more.

In other words, don't refund them. If they open a case then eBay will decide in your favour as Hermes qualifies for the above criteria. If the Buyer is satisfied that they cannot find the item then it is an issue of theft and must be reported to the Police.

Not you.
Not eBay.
Not Paypal.
Not Hermes.

UK Law is quite clear, if someone has taken the item from the Buyers "Safe place" then the Buyer is a victim of theft, and not non-delivery.

I can assure you this is fact, both due to my career choice and personal dealings with eBay. I have had the exact same thing happen to me numerous times and the outcome has always been found in my favour. Those users stating you must refund them are wrong. The only time you refund the Buyer and claim compensation from Hermes is if the parcel was lost/damaged PRIOR to delivery.

Bargainhuntersupreme

My mother would have taken it round had she a car, she lives 1200ft up a … My mother would have taken it round had she a car, she lives 1200ft up a Welsh mountain, only 20 houses in her hamlet, 10 miles to the nearest town over the mountain. No public transport. She rang Hermes, gave them a fair time to collect it (4 weeks), rang the local postie to ask if he'd deliver it as a favour, he couldn't. I think expecting a disabled 80 year old with no transport to deliver a parcel involving a 20 mile round trip is a bit much. There are always more to a simple story, please don't judge my mum's reticence to get involved as disinterest, and she certainly hasn't stolen anything from anyone.

Doing the right thing is seldom the easiest option.

Bargainhuntersupreme

my mum now has a nice bedside lamp for free!

This kind of attitude sucks, big time.

Bargainhuntersupreme

My mother would have taken it round had she a car, she lives 1200ft up a … My mother would have taken it round had she a car, she lives 1200ft up a Welsh mountain, only 20 houses in her hamlet, 10 miles to the nearest town over the mountain. No public transport. She rang Hermes, gave them a fair time to collect it (4 weeks), rang the local postie to ask if he'd deliver it as a favour, he couldn't. I think expecting a disabled 80 year old with no transport to deliver a parcel involving a 20 mile round trip is a bit much. There are always more to a simple story, please don't judge my mum's reticence to get involved as disinterest, and she certainly hasn't stolen anything from anyone.

Blimey,she lives in such a remote place & yet still the courier managed to deliver it to the wrong address,you ought to go to the papers with that epic fail X)

deb8z

Blimey,she lives in such a remote place & yet still the courier managed … Blimey,she lives in such a remote place & yet still the courier managed to deliver it to the wrong address,you ought to go to the papers with that epic fail X)

Amazing isn't it - bbc.co.uk/new…499

I always use Collect Plus, never had a problem with these. can link your eBay account too so tracking and delivery dresses all linked up. once had a buyer state they didn't receive item.. contact collect plus they said they left a card stating it was left with the unit next door. few days later buyer confirmed slup had been left and now had the parcel. excellent service from collect plus and I won't trust anyone else. as eBay has never protected the seller.

Original Poster

EstorilBlue

EBay policy, direct from eBay.How are sellers protected from losing a … EBay policy, direct from eBay.How are sellers protected from losing a case?For “item not received” cases, if sellers post the item within their stated handling time and provide a valid proof of delivery for the item, eBay is likely to decide in their favour. “Proof of delivery” is online documentation from a postal company that includes all of the following: - A status of “delivered” (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered) and the date of delivery.- The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent).- Signature Confirmation for transactions that total £750 or more.In other words, don't refund them. If they open a case then eBay will decide in your favour as Hermes qualifies for the above criteria. If the Buyer is satisfied that they cannot find the item then it is an issue of theft and must be reported to the Police. Not you.Not eBay.Not Paypal.Not Hermes.UK Law is quite clear, if someone has taken the item from the Buyers "Safe place" then the Buyer is a victim of theft, and not non-delivery.I can assure you this is fact, both due to my career choice and personal dealings with eBay. I have had the exact same thing happen to me numerous times and the outcome has always been found in my favour. Those users stating you must refund them are wrong. The only time you refund the Buyer and claim compensation from Hermes is if the parcel was lost/damaged PRIOR to delivery.

That's a very useful information we need to know. Thanks a lot. Buyer opened the case so I explained and they didn't reply. Hermes will investigate and respond later. Just for a few quids, I have to wait till sorted. Also a bit worried they escalate the case without any response.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for comments, suggestions and information which are quite useful especially the laws/policy that everyone needs to know.

Original Poster

EstorilBlue

EBay policy, direct from eBay.How are sellers protected from losing a … EBay policy, direct from eBay.How are sellers protected from losing a case?For “item not received” cases, if sellers post the item within their stated handling time and provide a valid proof of delivery for the item, eBay is likely to decide in their favour. “Proof of delivery” is online documentation from a postal company that includes all of the following: - A status of “delivered” (or equivalent in the country to which the item was delivered) and the date of delivery.- The recipient’s address, showing at least the city/county or postcode (or international equivalent).- Signature Confirmation for transactions that total £750 or more.In other words, don't refund them. If they open a case then eBay will decide in your favour as Hermes qualifies for the above criteria. If the Buyer is satisfied that they cannot find the item then it is an issue of theft and must be reported to the Police. Not you.Not eBay.Not Paypal.Not Hermes.UK Law is quite clear, if someone has taken the item from the Buyers "Safe place" then the Buyer is a victim of theft, and not non-delivery.I can assure you this is fact, both due to my career choice and personal dealings with eBay. I have had the exact same thing happen to me numerous times and the outcome has always been found in my favour. Those users stating you must refund them are wrong. The only time you refund the Buyer and claim compensation from Hermes is if the parcel was lost/damaged PRIOR to delivery.

Many thanks for such a clear and useful information.

Glad I could help. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Merry Christmas to all.

dilahk

ordered some clothes got my tracking details the last info I got was … ordered some clothes got my tracking details the last info I got was delivered to courier that was 8 00 am. parcel turns up at 7 30pm what's happening? I asked the delivery women and she said I'm in a hurry did not get a chance to update status of delivery. hermes not good it's every time

Idiots are out in force, it must be Christmas time.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants