eBay selling question. Can I ending item early?

Found 12th Feb 2010
hello, I'm selling an item on eBay in an auction which has 3 days left, I expect it to sell for around £25 and have bids of £15 currently, but someones contacted me through PM and asking if I'd accept £35! They have good feedback (18+, -0) Of course I am pleased but don't have a clue on how to accept the price and any risks (cons etc)

I tried to revise the item to change it to 'Buy It Now' but its greyed out so I can't change it. The PM suggested I give them my Paypal details so they can make payment, but then I'm not sure if I will have Paypal protection as a seller? any help thx

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
22 Comments

Why cant the bidder just bid the £35 on the auction itself and wait the last few days?

Hi,

you can end the item early as there are more than 12 hours left form the end.

But, from past experience, i would wait to see if they pay first.

You will have the same protection if you are sending it recorded, because if he does open a case saying he never received it, the PayPal complaints process still remains the same.

Original Poster

warehousestock;7824254

Hi,you can end the item early as there are more than 12 hours left form … Hi,you can end the item early as there are more than 12 hours left form the end.But, from past experience, i would wait to see if they pay first.You will have the same protection if you are sending it recorded, because if he does open a case saying he never received it, the PayPal complaints process still remains the same.

So they pay through Paypal normal payment or gift payment?

And do I still have ebay/paypal seller protection? thx

So basically they bid £35, I then end auction and everything else is like normal right?

Let it run, you may get more

Original Poster

skusey;7824382

Let it run, you may get more

The completed listings show it new like mine all selling for £18-25.

i would wait for the auction to end tbh... if he puts his max bid to £35 and someone bids over him then you're a winner.. you can end the auction early by giving an excuse that it has become faulty and then sell it privately, but again you have no comeback if he turns round and either doesn't pay or says he hasn't received therefore wanting a refund... not everyone is genuine regardless of what feedback they have !!!!!!!!

The End;7824398

The completed listings show it new like mine all selling for £18-25.

Get your mate to bump it up to £34, and ask matey to bid £35, sorted

i got done for that sort of stuff...''shill bidding''...they make you take a pain in the bum tutorial with a test!

warehousestock;7824491

i got done for that sort of stuff...''shill bidding''...they make you … i got done for that sort of stuff...''shill bidding''...they make you take a pain in the bum tutorial with a test!

my uncle also did this... wait a month then take the test b4 his account was reopened!

Original Poster

arcangel111;7824436

i would wait for the auction to end tbh... if he puts his max bid to £35 … i would wait for the auction to end tbh... if he puts his max bid to £35 and someone bids over him then you're a winner.. you can end the auction early by giving an excuse that it has become faulty and then sell it privately, but again you have no comeback if he turns round and either doesn't pay or says he hasn't received therefore wanting a refund... not everyone is genuine regardless of what feedback they have !!!!!!!!

I didn't know this wasn't allowed!

How about this guys? I ask them to give me Paypal gift payment of £35?

Then tell them to make the highest bid on auction and then I quickly end it?

This way I'll save Paypal fees, and then because they sent Paypal gift they can't claim back or use chargeback?

Sounds dodgy to me. Surely it's against the rules to sell outside of ebay... if that's where the buyer and seller met. Why can't he bid his max and see if he gets lucky? You can end it early if you really must, but it's certainly not good form.

Original Poster

Penny Saver;7824703

Sounds dodgy to me. Surely it's against the rules to sell outside of … Sounds dodgy to me. Surely it's against the rules to sell outside of ebay... if that's where the buyer and seller met. Why can't he bid his max and see if he gets lucky? You can end it early if you really must, but it's certainly not good form.

Yeah I've just read my previous comment after being away 5 minutes and it just seems so dodgy! Duno what came over me :oops:

I'll let the auction finish like a good eBayer :friends:

Good to see that you saw sense in the end :thumbsup:

Put another one on a BIN now for £35 and let him buy that. Once paid for remove the original.

Original Poster

greg_68;7824824

Put another one on a BIN now for £35 and let him buy that. Once paid for … Put another one on a BIN now for £35 and let him buy that. Once paid for remove the original.

You can't remove the original.

The End;7824878

You can't remove the original.

You can end it!

Original Poster

greg_68;7824895

You can end it!

But then someones obviously gonna win it! You would like that wouldn't you :?

Banned

The End;7824949

But then someones obviously gonna win it! You would like that wouldn't … But then someones obviously gonna win it! You would like that wouldn't you :?

make it no longer for sale

say its damaged

I put a Wii up for sale a few months ago. Not long after putting it up another Ebayer posted a question on my item asking whther I would end the item and sell to him for £130 (was about the going rate on Ebay for a Wii at the time and I needed the money ASAP). Iirc I ended the item (you have to put a reason why it is not for sale anymore - saying it is damaged is best bet as it makes you seem like a caring seller) then he paid by PP Gift and I sent using one of the cheapy courier services that people post about on here. All went fine and no fees.

Original Poster

stewby;7825314

I put a Wii up for sale a few months ago. Not long after putting it up … I put a Wii up for sale a few months ago. Not long after putting it up another Ebayer posted a question on my item asking whther I would end the item and sell to him for £130 (was about the going rate on Ebay for a Wii at the time and I needed the money ASAP). Iirc I ended the item (you have to put a reason why it is not for sale anymore - saying it is damaged is best bet as it makes you seem like a caring seller) then he paid by PP Gift and I sent using one of the cheapy courier services that people post about on here. All went fine and no fees.

Oh thx. How do I know that the money that someone's sent me through Paypal has been sent through gift payment?

If you want to do it through Ebay, all you do is change start price to £35 and when they bid, select close auction early and sell to highest bidder NOT close early and cancel bids.

That way the person has won it for £35 and can pay through Ebay.

Original Poster

ryouga;7825491

If you want to do it through Ebay, all you do is change start price to … If you want to do it through Ebay, all you do is change start price to £35 and when they bid, select close auction early and sell to highest bidder NOT close early and cancel bids.That way the person has won it for £35 and can pay through Ebay.

But that would mean I pay £5 eBay fees plus £3 Paypal fees!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Quidco Snow me the money Competition821055
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 46 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313
    3. Enter to win an iPhone X Anker competition33
    4. Win £500 worth of goods from RAF Museum's shop66

See more discussions