Groups

eBay shill bidding

I'm watching an auction on eBay which is due to end tomorrow.

It's a really mundane household item which I would be surprised if it gained any other bid(s) other than mine.

Anyway, I took a look at it today and lo and behold it has now gained a couple of bids.

Surprised by this, I look at the bids in more detail and notice they are from a user id with zero feedback and at the dead of night.

Thinking this is strange and p'd off, I suspect it is shill bidding by the seller and fire off a report to eBay.

Anyway, I then dig a bit deeper and notice that this seller, who seems to be selling every day items of low value, is regularly receiving bids from this zero feedback rated user and I am now certain they are involved in shill bidding.

However, I didn't include this additional info in my report to eBay.

Does it matter - will eBay thoroughly investigate anyway or will they, as I suspect, just sweep it all under the carpet?

Regardless, I've decided not bid on this item, but am curious to see how this pans out.

17 Comments

They made a big song and dance about prosecuting a serial shill bidder last year, probably for the publicity. At the end of the day, I doubt if they give a monkeys as the higher an item sells for the more they make. The shill bidder risks "winning" their own items and paying the fees anyway so it's win win for the 'bay.

Yep bid what you want to pay.

I don't think it hurts to send off this additional information, may help to catch them even quicker.
    Some people just really have a nerve don't they!

tallpete33

They made a big song and dance about prosecuting a serial shill bidder … They made a big song and dance about prosecuting a serial shill bidder last year, probably for the publicity. At the end of the day, I doubt if they give a monkeys as the higher an item sells for the more they make. The shill bidder risks "winning" their own items and paying the fees anyway so it's win win for the 'bay.

Surely they'd just do a mutual cancellation with themselves and get their fees back?

Banned

havent you got better things to do?

most shill bidders end up losing out as they win their own auctions!

I know someone who does it on every item they sell.
    Discusts me. Cant report em though cos the know my user name.
    Why cant they just be honest like others. Greedy!!!!
    Hope they ban your seller, though they will just start another account no doubt.

cherishu2

Cant report em though cos the know my user name.

How does that stop you? ebay wont tell them who grassed them up

harlzter

How does that stop you? ebay wont tell them who grassed them up

doesnt matter if he does know either

a decent shill bid is like a free reserve no harm

Bid in the dying seconds, They don't get time to shill bid then ;).

shauneco

Bid in the dying seconds, They don't get time to shill bid then ;).

What about the time up until then

Always been happening and always will,like you said your not going bid.I bid last minute anyway to stop the shillbidding before a bid been placed but some done anyway without bids. Sellers can see how many watches they have on an item,so they take their chance with shillbidding before even a genuine bid been placed.

Hope you find the item your wanting.

Original Poster

Thanks all.

Interesting eye opener - I was aware of shill bidding but never really 'experienced' it.

Took a deeper look at some of this users sold items and shill bidding is rampant - I suspect they have multiple accounts, with various feedback ratings, that they are using.

Like Mum2CC says, suspect they saw the item had a watcher(s) and placed their shill bid based on that - that's how they appear to have operated in the past.

Hope they enjoy winning their own item. lol.

Have to admit I was guilty of this on a couple of occasions (sub £10 items) when I had underestimated postage and was going to lose money.

I ended up being banned for a month but when I forgot to get the account reactivated after the ban expired and used ebay again on another account I got banned for a year and when this ban ran out I forgot to get both accounts reactivated so received yet another years ban. oO

Emzy81

What about the time up until then

You only bid what your happy to pay.

Original Poster

Thought I would feedback to say the user is no longer registered on eBay.

Another bidder also busted her and updated the feedback to warn others about the shill bidding. X)

I'd imagine they also lodged a complaint with eBay.
    Edited by moderator: "* removed seller name" 15th Feb 2011

Banned

tallpete33

They made a big song and dance about prosecuting a serial shill bidder … They made a big song and dance about prosecuting a serial shill bidder last year, probably for the publicity. At the end of the day, I doubt if they give a monkeys as the higher an item sells for the more they make. The shill bidder risks "winning" their own items and paying the fees anyway so it's win win for the 'bay.

except ebay didn't prosecute them, it was trading standards.
    from what i remember, ebay didn't even want it to go ahead
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Iphone 6 to which handset?712
      2. Second sky q mini box - can i buy from ebay?1015
      3. How are Very for pre-orders ?22
      4. Wix Build Website Question, Domain transfer?35

See more discussions