eBay shop / private seller

Posted 9th Jun 2020
Good evening guys. I need your advice again please.
I'm selling different stuff on eBay (around 100 items/month) and I have a private seller account. I was looking to get an eBay shop (£20/month) but I don't know if is worth it or not. I've tried to look on eBay for advantages of it but their descriptions are not very clear. My main concern is what is the main difference between having a normal account and a shop?
Thank you in advance. Love you all ❤️
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
£20.00 extra to eBay
You will need to accept returns if you are a business and you lose a lot of £1 fvf offers.
AMaky09/06/2020 21:24

You will need to accept returns if you are a business and you lose a lot …You will need to accept returns if you are a business and you lose a lot of £1 fvf offers.

Even now on my listings I offered 30 days returns so that's not an issue for me.
£1 final value is indeed a good opportunity. Unfortunately wasn't available that often as before in the past weeks.
ANG9409/06/2020 21:27

Even now on my listings I offered 30 days returns so that's not an issue …Even now on my listings I offered 30 days returns so that's not an issue for me.£1 final value is indeed a good opportunity. Unfortunately wasn't available that often as before in the past weeks.

why would offer returns though? that is setting for trouble from the usual crowd?
If you are buying items to sell and don't declare yourself as a business seller you're actually breaking the law. Also I found this on an eBay forum of it helps

If you do subscribe to a basic shop you will pay a monthly fee for the shop for which you'll receive 200 inclusive fixed priced listings (subject to your monthly allowance) + listing fees for anything over and above the 200 + final selling fees on anything you sell.
AMaky09/06/2020 21:31

why would offer returns though? that is setting for trouble from the usual …why would offer returns though? that is setting for trouble from the usual crowd?

Well..tbh I never had any issues. Buyers are more confident when you offer returns. They had to pay for it anyway.
I'm selling on eBay for 5 months and I think I had around 5-6 returns in total from hundreds of sales. Just one return was "odd". The rest was damaged on the way or customers misunderstanding of description/model.
MonkeyMan9009/06/2020 21:34

If you are buying items to sell and don't declare yourself as a business …If you are buying items to sell and don't declare yourself as a business seller you're actually breaking the law. Also I found this on an eBay forum of it helps If you do subscribe to a basic shop you will pay a monthly fee for the shop for which you'll receive 200 inclusive fixed priced listings (subject to your monthly allowance) + listing fees for anything over and above the 200 + final selling fees on anything you sell.

I do that (reselling) but few month ago I spoke with someone from eBay (live chat) and I asked them about this but they said I can sell using my private seller account. That time also they increased my monthly allowances. I also called my bank that time cause I was thinking I might have some problems with the money which keeps coming and going but they said is alright, I don't need a business bank account unless I'm doing 100k / year.
AMaky09/06/2020 21:31

why would offer returns though? that is setting for trouble from the usual …why would offer returns though? that is setting for trouble from the usual crowd?

Because if someone wants to return something they can just open a Not as Described case. Better they do it legitimately.
eayragt09/06/2020 21:39

Because if someone wants to return something they can just open a Not as …Because if someone wants to return something they can just open a Not as Described case. Better they do it legitimately.

That's also true. +1
ANG9409/06/2020 21:36

Well..tbh I never had any issues. Buyers are more confident when you offer …Well..tbh I never had any issues. Buyers are more confident when you offer returns. They had to pay for it anyway.I'm selling on eBay for 5 months and I think I had around 5-6 returns in total from hundreds of sales. Just one return was "odd". The rest was damaged on the way or customers misunderstanding of description/model.

if items are damaged then that would be covered anyway without 30 days returns being offered.
i guess it depends what you sell. if someone opens my item, i would lose 30% value instantly.
eayragt09/06/2020 21:39

Because if someone wants to return something they can just open a Not as …Because if someone wants to return something they can just open a Not as Described case. Better they do it legitimately.

they can try, never worked in years.
ANG9409/06/2020 21:39

I do that (reselling) but few month ago I spoke with someone from eBay …I do that (reselling) but few month ago I spoke with someone from eBay (live chat) and I asked them about this but they said I can sell using my private seller account. That time also they increased my monthly allowances. I also called my bank that time cause I was thinking I might have some problems with the money which keeps coming and going but they said is alright, I don't need a business bank account unless I'm doing 100k / year.

You need a business bank account if you are a registered business regardless of income. One of the stipulations if you register with companies house is you must have a business bank account. See below the eBay policy in regards to of you should be a business seller.

You should tell eBay if you're operating as a business
You should register as an eBay business if you:
sell items that you have bought to resell

make items yourself and sell them, intending to make a profit

are a Trading Assistant

buy items for your business

The Unfair Commercial Practices Directive (April 2008) makes it an offence in the UK for a business to falsely represent itself as a private individual. So if you are misleading potential buyers into thinking that you are a private individual when you are in fact a business seller (ie: by not registering as a business seller with eBay), you will be breaking the law.
Find out more about why you should register as a business.
Edited by: "MonkeyMan90" 9th Jun
AMaky09/06/2020 21:40

if items are damaged then that would be covered anyway without 30 days …if items are damaged then that would be covered anyway without 30 days returns being offered. i guess it depends what you sell. if someone opens my item, i would lose 30% value instantly.

Most of my items are "new (opened)" anyway so that doesn't bother me.
@MonkeyMan90 well I don't know tbh. It's confusing. I told you, eBay and NatWest told me that I don't have to do that because I'm not making a huge profit/sales.. I don't know. I will ask eBay again just in case.
ANG9409/06/2020 21:42

Most of my items are "new (opened)" anyway so that doesn't bother me.

Lol what are your items then
You seem clever and successful
Misslovely09/06/2020 21:48

Lol what are your items then You seem clever and successful

Household items, phone accessories, electronics, etc. with damaged retail packaging but the content in perfect condition.
ANG9409/06/2020 21:49

Household items, phone accessories, electronics, etc. with damaged retail …Household items, phone accessories, electronics, etc. with damaged retail packaging but the content in perfect condition.

Not bad. Iv been selling a bit to cex and convert my voucher money to smart tech and sell that on eBay. Maybe making around £60 a month profit
@MonkeyMan90 I actually remember now that when I spoke last time with eBay they asked me from where I'm getting my items (if they are personal belongings or I'm buying them to resell) and I told them I'm buying them from different parts / boot sales and sale them on eBay. He seems fine with that :/
ANG9409/06/2020 21:48

@MonkeyMan90 well I don't know tbh. It's confusing. I told you, eBay and …@MonkeyMan90 well I don't know tbh. It's confusing. I told you, eBay and NatWest told me that I don't have to do that because I'm not making a huge profit/sales.. I don't know. I will ask eBay again just in case.

If you're a sole trader you don't need a business bank account but if you set up a private limited company through companies house then it is mandatory to have a business bank account. A sole trader still needs to keep all sale records aswell as do a self assessment for tax every year. You must also include your name and business details on each individual invoice.
If your selling 100 items a month it's only a matter of time before HMRC come after you. Ebay &Amazon Marketplace divulge all information to HMRC now. Register yourself as a sole trader before you get caught, you are operating as a business.
Azwipe09/06/2020 22:03

If your selling 100 items a month it's only a matter of time before HMRC …If your selling 100 items a month it's only a matter of time before HMRC come after you. Ebay &Amazon Marketplace divulge all information to HMRC now. Register yourself as a sole trader before you get caught, you are operating as a business.

Will be there a fee considering I didn't knew about it? I need to have a look on hrmc website for more informations cause I've never been a self-employed and I don't really know how to do that kind of paperwork.
I'm looking to sell and would appreciate some advise,

Can I post in this topic? I think OP will be abale to assist
MrMan201109/06/2020 23:05

I'm looking to sell and would appreciate some advise,Can I post in this …I'm looking to sell and would appreciate some advise,Can I post in this topic? I think OP will be abale to assist

Be my guest buddy don't worry
ANG9409/06/2020 22:14

Will be there a fee considering I didn't knew about it? I need to have a …Will be there a fee considering I didn't knew about it? I need to have a look on hrmc website for more informations cause I've never been a self-employed and I don't really know how to do that kind of paperwork.

It's simple, you need to CALL HMRC and tell then your self employed and will need to annually declare your profit or loss.

Keep recipets etc of expenses, An accountant can help.
There is a line where it comes to selling personal goods and buying with the intention to resell. If it’s the latter you should really be registered as a business and be paying taxes on your profits.

here’s what the taxman says about what you have to do if you make some money.

HMRC say: “An individual need to register with HMRC when they’re looking to make a profit from repeatedly selling goods or services.

“Whether a small business actually owes any tax depends on their circumstances eg have they made a profit, do they trade in VAT rated goods, do they have any staff etc.”

“Businesses must register with HMRC. They will have to make a tax return (eg Self Assessment) and then pay any tax owed.”

What do eBay say?
It comes down to what you’re using eBay for. Are you buying to sell?

Here’s their official line on it in full:“If you are selling personal possessions you are not liable to pay tax to the tax man on monies that are made from selling.

“However, if you are buying to sell any profit that you make is liable for tax and Class 1 National Insurance.

“If you decide that you wish to sell on eBay to create an income and procure items from an outside source this classes you as a Business Seller and as such your profit is liable for tax.

“In the first instance you must register with the Inland Revenue within 3 months of trading, as self-employed.

“You have to keep accurate records as to what your income and expenditure is, this includes receipts, PayPal and eBay records.”

So yes, if you are you planning to do this to make a business out of it, then you should register as a business account.
ANG9409/06/2020 23:05

Be my guest buddy don't worry

I want to start selling I don't know if it will work or not who knows...

Anyway I want to list like 50 items on ebay, the amount of stock for each individual item will be more than 10

Do you know how many listing you get each month?

The amount of stock doesn't affect the listing amount right?

So with 50 listing do you pay insertion fee or any fee if item doesn't sell?
Post a comment
@
    Text