Ebay sniper

Found 4th Nov 2012
I have for many years used Goofbay but they have changed to Goofbid and the last two auctions I have had problems with. I couldn't place a snipe on the first auction because it said the auction had already ended, when it hadn't! I emailed them but got no reply. The second auction I won with a snipe but it sent me numerous emails saying I had lost the snipe as my bid was too low and in my Goffbay/Goofbid history it shows as my having lost the item despite my actually winning it! Again, no reply to my emails.

I want to place snipes on two auctions ending later today and am not confident about relying on Goofbay/Goofbid and after googling 'free ebay sniper' am not sure which other sniping site to use.

Would anyone recommend a reliable, free sniping site for ebay please. Thanks.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
18 Comments

Set an alarm on your phone and do it yourself.

best and safest way is to bid yourself. I set myself an alarm on my phone 5 minutes before and if i'm home i'll bid from the computer, If i'm not i'll use my phone's internet to bid. I don't trust any of those weird sites that say they'll snipe for you.

Original Poster

I will be driving down a motorway when the auctions end so it won't be a good idea to set an alarm on my phone and bid!

Banned

never had any problems with goodbay / bid

unreal that some people set alarms so they can do the bids manually and think sniper sites are 'weird' oO

What if the auction ends at 4am
Edited by: "csiman" 4th Nov 2012

I've always used Gixen. Only ever failed when my max bid was too low. gixen.com/ind…php

I use justsnipe with no problems.

Original Poster

Thank you deek72 and vinnyabdn. I will look at those two sites and choose one, as its good to get a recommendation.

csiman

never had any problems with goodbay / bidunreal that some people set … never had any problems with goodbay / bidunreal that some people set alarms so they can do the bids manually and think sniper sites are 'weird' oOWhat if the auction ends at 4am

i'll get up at 4am to bid/ stay awake till 4am.

Banned

andreapedrazzini

i'll get up at 4am to bid/ stay awake till 4am.

now that is the definition of weird!

csiman

now that is the definition of weird!

it's called commitment

andreapedrazzini

it's called commitment

**** yeah lol. Used to love doing that ****.

But then I am weird, so csiman probably got a point

I've previously used this bit of software which runs on your own PC rather than a third party website...

http://www.jbidwatcher.com/

I used it about a week ago for the first time in a while and there was a problem with all auctions being set to FIXED PRICE but there is a work around for that available and the snipe still worked.

With this one though your PC has to be on at the time of bid and make sure your firewall will permit the program access to ebay.

Another vote for Gixen.

How safe are these sites? I assume you need to disclose your ebay user name and password.
If they're providing the services for free, how do they make their money?

Banned

Guan

How safe are these sites? I assume you need to disclose your ebay user … How safe are these sites? I assume you need to disclose your ebay user name and password. If they're providing the services for free, how do they make their money?

the big ones are perfectly safe as they would soon go under if details leaked out / were abused.

they make money by donations as it isnt exactly megabucks to develop the sites once up and running

Banned

EmmettDocBrown

http://www.auctionstealer.co.uk/home.cfmnever had any problem with with … http://www.auctionstealer.co.uk/home.cfmnever had any problem with with the above website

I used them but ridiculous 3 auction bids per day limit last time I used them

hidbid.com is a good service to use. You get 10 free snipes per week.

Just remember that regardless of when your bid is placed, it still has to be the highest to win. EXCEPT, when 2 bids are the same or there isn't enough difference between them to meet ebay's minimum bid increment. In that case, the 1st one in wins.

So, if people were completely rational, the best strategy would be to bid the second an auction is listed. I'd stick with sniping.

Make sure you're eligible to bid on an item before scheduling a snipe (or doing it manually), so that your bid will be accepted. As long as you live in a country that the seller ships to, you don't have many unpaid strikes lately, and you have enough positive feedback, you should be ok. If you have a problem with one of those things, you could contact the seller and ask them to accept your bid, as long as you know early enough.

A couple benefits of sniping often not mentioned:

1. Sniping is actually a way of combating shill bidding - when the seller or his buddy bids on the item until they're the high bid, and know your max, then retract their bid, and use yet another account to bid on the item, bidding just below your max. You don't give the shiller time to retract their bid in order to leave you as the high bidder, close to your max. You can't do much about a shill bidder letting their bid ride to the end of the auction, if it just raises but doesn't exceed yours.

Also, look out for 2nd chance offers, as they would be a reason for the shiller to let their shill bid ride, you may want to decline any and look for a different seller with the same item. Unless of course, the price seems ok with you, even though possible artificially jacked up.

2. You can just cancel a snipe with up to 5 or 10 minutes before the end of an auction, if you change your mind about bidding on an item, and your bid won't be placed. If you place a bid on ebay and then retract it (not a seller's or ebay's favorite thing), you can be blocked from bidding on other auctions after doing this a few times, not sure what that # is.

Anyone bidding on ebay should understand ebay's proxy bidding system (increases your bid only until it is the high, or it has been exceeded), and have an idea about their bid increments:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bid-increments.html

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/bid-increments.html

pages.ebay.de/hel…tml
Post a comment
@
    Text