eBay strange buyer scenario, would you back out of the sale?

Found 24th Mar
Ok so someone from Australia purchased one of my items, I thought all would be well and they would pay and I would send it via GSP.

Anyway the buyer had been in touch about this weird arrangement previously but as they purchased the item I thought they had changed their minds and were going to pay for eBay to deal with the shipping via GSP.

Instead though the contacted me again insisting that they send it to the Isle of Wight to a friend. Fine I thought, they paid for it with me insisting that I wont send it unless the PayPal address is confirmed and that the eBay shipping address is the same which it is.

Anyway I paid for postage and booked a collection, the item is very heavy and very expensive.

Now he's got his "friend" who is a seller messaging me on eBay asking to change the delivery address again. Of course I wont as I wont be eligible for seller protection, so my question is would you back out altogether of the sale.

The buyer said it was for a special occasion and gave me a little background story etc but is that just trying to convince me. Im sure you will agree that it does sound odd.
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
41 Comments
Odd, won't eBay advise?
Only send it to the address on the PayPal invoice otherwise you’re open to having a chargeback.
Original Poster
davewave5 m ago

Odd, won't eBay advise?

I did ask, they just seem to reply with the same generic responses.
"If the buyer is requesting a change of address then you may send it there if they communicated this through eBay's messaging system". Apparently though people say that you aren't covered even though eBay cs says you are.

The other option they gave me was to just cancel and if the buyer leaves negative feedback they can remove it as it would be considered suspicious activity and against their policies which now looking back at it, that contradicts what they said as above.
Banned
Yes
Original Poster
sicklysweet2 m ago

Only send it to the address on the PayPal invoice otherwise you’re open to …Only send it to the address on the PayPal invoice otherwise you’re open to having a chargeback.

Oh I know, doesn't it sound odd to you, I mean would it put you off altogether. As its gone Australia and then the address moved from the confirmed address in one place of the Isle of White to the other end (of course not confirmed).
brett954 m ago

Oh I know, doesn't it sound odd to you, I mean would it put you off …Oh I know, doesn't it sound odd to you, I mean would it put you off altogether. As its gone Australia and then the address moved from the confirmed address in one place of the Isle of White to the other end (of course not confirmed).

Explain your concerns to the buyer and say you’re not happy to send it.
Ps this may sound pedantic but in your comms make sure you call it ‘Isle of Wight’ (not white).
Cancel picking problem with address or send it to address in PayPal. Have you searched the address on Google and then add the friends name see if 192 pick it up.
sicklysweet21 m ago

Ps this may sound pedantic but in your comms make sure you call it ‘Isle o …Ps this may sound pedantic but in your comms make sure you call it ‘Isle of Wight’ (not white).

You are correct, it is being pendantic....
Original Poster
sicklysweet28 m ago

Ps this may sound pedantic but in your comms make sure you call it ‘Isle o …Ps this may sound pedantic but in your comms make sure you call it ‘Isle of Wight’ (not white).

Hey don’t blame me for autocorrect
st8mike13 m ago

You are correct, it is being pendantic....

Didn’t mean it to be.

Just meant to help the OP when communicating with their buyer.
brett956 m ago

Hey don’t blame me for autocorrect

Autocorrect sucks at times!

I only meant to help.
Original Poster
caverncity26 m ago

Cancel picking problem with address or send it to address in PayPal. Have …Cancel picking problem with address or send it to address in PayPal. Have you searched the address on Google and then add the friends name see if 192 pick it up.

I just tried but nothing at either address, more reason for concern?
sicklysweet11 m ago

Didn’t mean it to be. Just meant to help the OP when communicating with t …Didn’t mean it to be. Just meant to help the OP when communicating with their buyer. Autocorrect sucks at times!I only meant to help.

Autocorrect can change words and mess up sentences but this should be picked up when someone proofreads what they wrote before posting and there is an edit button too so no excuse (annoyed). This for posting on here.

With texts, emails etc. you can very quickly re-read everything before sending.

It was clear you meant to be helpful
Edited by: "hearts22" 24th Mar
Original Poster
sicklysweet8 m ago

Didn’t mean it to be. Just meant to help the OP when communicating with t …Didn’t mean it to be. Just meant to help the OP when communicating with their buyer. Autocorrect sucks at times!I only meant to help.

It’s ok, don’t worry about it.

I know I do hate autocorrect sometimes and now even our computers have it in the browser.
Original Poster
hearts221 m ago

Autocorrect can change words and mess up sentences but this should be …Autocorrect can change words and mess up sentences but this should be picked up when someone proofreads what they wrote before posting and there is an edit button too so no excuse It was clear you meant to be helpful

Proofreading. Who has time for that?
brett955 m ago

Proofreading. Who has time for that?

Takes less than a minute to re-read a message etc... unless you have just finished writing War And Peace. Anyone has the time to read a few lines quickly LOL.

Who doesn't have time for that? That's the real question
Edited by: "hearts22" 24th Mar
hearts223 h, 15 m ago

Autocorrect can change words and mess up sentences but this should be …Autocorrect can change words and mess up sentences but this should be picked up when someone proofreads what they wrote before posting and there is an edit button too so no excuse (annoyed). This for posting on here.With texts, emails etc. you can very quickly re-read everything before sending. It was clear you meant to be helpful

So why didn't your annoyed emoji work and why is your comment edited, if you proofread your post first?

If you want to go ahead with the sale, I would tell them it's too late you have already booked the delivery and/or have already posted it.

If you can cancel it without loss I might be inclined to though. Sounds like a right pain in the bum. Trust your gut feeling.
Don’t sell not worth the hassle
brett9510 h, 43 m ago

The other option they gave me was to just cancel and if the buyer leaves …The other option they gave me was to just cancel and if the buyer leaves negative feedback they can remove it as it would be considered suspicious

i dont think the buyer would have the option to leave feedback if you cancel the sale,
if you're unsure then cancel.
Original Poster
It seems a lot of you are saying the same, I am very close to cancelling. Its an old Art Deco tea set and it did sell for nearly £200 and I would hate to lose that much money.
As soon as buyers mess me about like this I just cancel the sale. It really isn't worth the headache. I can see you already have doubts so put your mind at ease and just walk away.
brett954 h, 31 m ago

It seems a lot of you are saying the same, I am very close to cancelling. …It seems a lot of you are saying the same, I am very close to cancelling. Its an old Art Deco tea set and it did sell for nearly £200 and I would hate to lose that much money.

Things made of china are difficult. They usually can't be insured when you post them and people often claim china is broken on arrival.
Edited by: "MSK." 25th Mar
eBay has gone down hill and there are a lot of dodgy customers and scammers.
I personally no longer ship international, even through eBay and cancel whenever a buyer tries it on.
Can’t you cancel and offer the second highest bidder to buy it?
Original Poster
Toptrumpet26 m ago

Can’t you cancel and offer the second highest bidder to buy it?

It wasn't up for auction it was a buy it now with best offers. Otherwise yes thats what I would of done as I have done previously.
Original Poster
MSK.2 h, 22 m ago

Things made of china are difficult. They usually can't be insured when …Things made of china are difficult. They usually can't be insured when you post them and people often claim china is broken on arrival.

Yes that is true, I usually over wrap fragile items though which is the case with these. It isn't the first time Ive sent china or other ceramics.
Original Poster
Latest message from his friend:

Hi Brett,

(buyers name) needs to ask me before he does things like this; he will need to change the delivery address to comply with Ebay & Paypal rules. I had no idea he used that address as his Primary address when my work address is more suitable. As I said I am rarely there during normal working hours.

I can arrange for someone to be there on Tuesday, but an approximate delivery time would be most helpful. If you send the package on Monday (tomorrow), will it definitely be delivered Tuesday?

I wanted to add a mobile number for the courier to advise a delivery time but the system prevents me from doing that.

Regards

(friends name)
Original Poster
You see I am really indecisive about the whole thing on one had it seems legit, the buyer has 1400+ positive feedback some left recently though items were mostly purchased in Australia and his friend has 4000+ feedback but he is a seller and has items up currently so for the most part it does seem legitimate.

But on the other hand it does seem odd, I don't want to let anyone down but at the same time I don't want to lose my money or the items.

I could of took the set to a antique dealer but of course they will give you next to nothing as I have had family sell items and then regret it as they are worth so much more.
Shevchenko3 h, 25 m ago

As soon as buyers mess me about like this I just cancel the sale. It …As soon as buyers mess me about like this I just cancel the sale. It really isn't worth the headache. I can see you already have doubts so put your mind at ease and just walk away.

I agree in this. If the item is expensive and the buyer asks you to change address I'd cancel and move on. If they ask prior to the sale then I'd be ok to go the right route (get them to add a second address to PayPal etc and pay/ship from that).

One thing I don't get is when a buyer asks you to ship an item half way across the world and it'll cost them less buying it locally... Like can this scam be more obvious?
brett9524 m ago

Yes that is true, I usually over wrap fragile items though which is the …Yes that is true, I usually over wrap fragile items though which is the case with these. It isn't the first time Ive sent china or other ceramics.

I don't think it matters how well you wrap them. You can't control what the buyer or courier does. It sounds like you are expecting the buyer to be honest an they are already messing you about something rotten.
Original Poster
MSK.7 m ago

I don't think it matters how well you wrap them. You can't control what …I don't think it matters how well you wrap them. You can't control what the buyer or courier does. It sounds like you are expecting the buyer to be honest an they are already messing you about something rotten.

I suppose thats my biggest downfall, I do want them to be honest and when you add everything up you do start to see some sense in it but then if you look at it another way you can see the scam that could be hidden behind it all. I assume your choice would be to abandon ship?
Edited by: "brett95" 25th Mar
brett957 m ago

I suppose thats my biggest downfall, I do want them to be honest and when …I suppose thats my biggest downfall, I do want them to be honest and when you add everything up you do start to see some sense in it but then if you look at it another way you can see the scam that could be hidden behind it all. I assume your choice would be to abandon ship?

I think you have to factor in if you can take the loss or not if it does goes wrong. Knowing it was a tea set pushes me more certainly towards cancelling.

I know someone who sold a lot of china (they are giving up). They found in recent years a significant amount of people started claiming items were arriving broken. I'm not even sure they have to provide proof of the breakage to eBay to request a refund. I don't know any couriers that will insure it, so you can't claim the money back. It's a very high risk item in my opinion.

With something like a tea set, they may not even need every piece, they could be buying to replace parts in another set.

Have you thought about taking it to a proper auction house and see what they think they'd get for it? They advertise online too, so have large audiences and there's less risk.
Edited by: "MSK." 25th Mar
Original Poster
MSK.27 m ago

I think you have to factor in if you can take the loss or not if it does …I think you have to factor in if you can take the loss or not if it does goes wrong. Knowing it was a tea set pushes me more certainly towards cancelling.I know someone who sold a lot of china (they are giving up). They found in recent years a significant amount of people started claiming items were arriving broken. I'm not even sure they have to provide proof of the breakage to eBay to request a refund. I don't know any couriers that will insure it, so you can't claim the money back. It's a very high risk item in my opinion.With something like a tea set, they may not even need every piece, they could be buying to replace parts in another set.Have you thought about taking it to a proper auction house and see what they think they'd get for it? They advertise online too, so have large audiences and there's less risk.

I didn't really think about an auction house actually. The problem is getting it to one as its heavy when packed together. I do believe though that I live very close to one (about a 10-15min walk). I don't have any idea how they work though. I suppose you can pay for reserve? Are fees usually reasonable?

If I think its worth it I may cancel and instead of re-listing it I may take it to one. Its just that I am really short on cash and need the money asap.

The advice is certainly appreciated, I will go and have a look my self online to see what I can find out about auction houses because I have never sold anything through one before. I have done online bidding once before but didn't win anything and just forgot about them.
brett9543 m ago

I didn't really think about an auction house actually. The problem is …I didn't really think about an auction house actually. The problem is getting it to one as its heavy when packed together. I do believe though that I live very close to one (about a 10-15min walk). I don't have any idea how they work though. I suppose you can pay for reserve? Are fees usually reasonable?If I think its worth it I may cancel and instead of re-listing it I may take it to one. Its just that I am really short on cash and need the money asap.The advice is certainly appreciated, I will go and have a look my self online to see what I can find out about auction houses because I have never sold anything through one before. I have done online bidding once before but didn't win anything and just forgot about them.

You could probably just email them a photo. If they're a decent auction house they should know what it is from a photo.

It varies between auction houses. You would have to check with them about their fees. There will probably be a fee to put it in, them a premium which is a percentage of the final price. A lot like eBay really. Maybe give them a ring tomorrow and see what the score is?
Original Poster
MSK.54 m ago

You could probably just email them a photo. If they're a decent auction …You could probably just email them a photo. If they're a decent auction house they should know what it is from a photo.It varies between auction houses. You would have to check with them about their fees. There will probably be a fee to put it in, them a premium which is a percentage of the final price. A lot like eBay really. Maybe give them a ring tomorrow and see what the score is?

Ok, thank you. I will put your advice to some use and have a go and see what they say.
I had a similar issue with a camera i sold - i asked the buyer to add their friends address onto paypal as a seperate delivery address. It took a few extra days due to paypal checks but was worth it incase i was being scammed.
cainer117 h, 56 m ago

i dont think the buyer would have the option to leave feedback if you …i dont think the buyer would have the option to leave feedback if you cancel the sale, if you're unsure then cancel.

Yes, they can leave feedback in that case.

Considering they told you, OP, that it's risky to post china, you should look at selling it in person.

Maybe advertise on Facebook groups that are about china etc. with cash on collection as the only option.
Edited by: "hearts22" 26th Mar
Original Poster
hearts226 h, 56 m ago

Yes, they can leave feedback in that case.Considering they told you, OP, …Yes, they can leave feedback in that case.Considering they told you, OP, that it's risky to post china, you should look at selling it in person. Maybe advertise on Facebook groups that are about china etc. with cash on collection as the only option.

Yes, that did go through my head with the cash on collection, if someone wasn't able to get to me but I could get to them then I could do it similar.
Original Poster
The buyers friend got in touch again saying that of course I am free to cancel the transaction and he's more angry that the buyer put his home address rather than his business address, as I mentioned his friend sells a lot of items on eBay and they both buy a lot.

Apparently it is a mutual agreement between their selves on car parts usually, they buy them in their own country for classic cars and then swap them over.

In a way the seem so so genuine and when you look at their feedback it does make some sense. It also appears that this set sells for a lot more in Australia as well so it could be that he just wants to make a profit by selling and if thats all he's after and the transaction did go smoothly I would be happy, I would be even happier if his story is true.

For all I know he could be the perfect buyer and I may regret not selling to him and that would be a shame.
Back away. Too many red flags. Better to be safe than sorry especially for an expensive item.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants