Ebay theft

Posted 22nd Sep
I posted an item and the buyer is claiming I sent an empty box. I'm not sure if the buyer is trying it on or the courier stole it. Annoyingly the weight was not noted.

Has anyone else had this experience? What happened?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
Hear this type of thing happens. Make claim with courier
Edited by: "wayners" 22nd Sep
Reason why I don’t sell electronics on eBay.. my advice is stick to Facebook market, shpock etc EBay will refund buyer and mostly likely you will be out of pocket
Who did you post it with? If it is the post officer the weight should automatically be printed on the receipt.
I don't think a courier will pay compensation as they have delivered something and it wasn't for them to know what was in the parcel.
if you are going to claim via courier than you nwed photos of the packaging from the buyer.
nadhaw22/09/2019 16:14

Who did you post it with? If it is the post officer the weight should …Who did you post it with? If it is the post officer the weight should automatically be printed on the receipt.I don't think a courier will pay compensation as they have delivered something and it wasn't for them to know what was in the parcel.

MyHermes
AMaky22/09/2019 16:26

if you are going to claim via courier than you nwed photos of the …if you are going to claim via courier than you nwed photos of the packaging from the buyer.

Funnily the buyer says the box doesn't appear damaged/tampered with.
Hermes definitely would have weighted the parcel for obvious reasons, ask them to check it for you.
Did you pay for an insurance when posting the item?
Also worth contacting eBay and ask them if the seller has made a similar claim in the past.
Had the exact same problem but I sent it through Royal Mail, so the weight was noted. eBay refunded the seller so I made a claim through them and got a refund as a goodwill gesture, and I sneakingly made a claim through royal mail as well and received a refund for the item value too, so a win win situation after I was out of pocket!
chance18922/09/2019 16:54

Funnily the buyer says the box doesn't appear damaged/tampered with.

Not that old chestnut.
sfndkks22/09/2019 17:54

Hermes definitely would have weighted the parcel for obvious reasons, ask …Hermes definitely would have weighted the parcel for obvious reasons, ask them to check it for you. Did you pay for an insurance when posting the item?Also worth contacting eBay and ask them if the seller has made a similar claim in the past. Had the exact same problem but I sent it through Royal Mail, so the weight was noted. eBay refunded the seller so I made a claim through them and got a refund as a goodwill gesture, and I sneakingly made a claim through royal mail as well and received a refund for the item value too, so a win win situation after I was out of pocket!

So the buyer tried it on with you. You obviously felt aggrieved and decided to pull a fast one yourself. I’ll say I more
Oneday7722/09/2019 19:26

So the buyer tried it on with you. You obviously felt aggrieved and …So the buyer tried it on with you. You obviously felt aggrieved and decided to pull a fast one yourself. I’ll say I more

Exactly that! A terrible feeling to just lose £350 just like that while you know you have posted the thing! I blame Royal Mail who couldn’t give me anything to support the case and prove to eBay the the guy has really received the item, bearing in mind maybe actually the parcel was actually opened and the item was taken! So decided to make it their loss... not nice but hey! Maybe claims like this will make them strengthen their delivery system and procedures
sfndkks22/09/2019 19:33

Exactly that! A terrible feeling to just lose £350 just like that while …Exactly that! A terrible feeling to just lose £350 just like that while you know you have posted the thing! I blame Royal Mail who couldn’t give me anything to support the case and prove to eBay the the guy has really received the item, bearing in mind maybe actually the parcel was actually opened and the item was taken! So decided to make it their loss... not nice but hey! Maybe claims like this will make them strengthen their delivery system and procedures

eBay refunded you £350 as a goodwill gesture?! How did you manage that?
chance18922/09/2019 20:10

eBay refunded you £350 as a goodwill gesture?! How did you manage that?

Because the dispute was open and asked me for a proof of postage and asked the buyer for a crime reference number. He managed to get this sent before I send my evidence as I was at work away for 3 days. They closed the case and refunded him.
On my return I filed a complaint and gave them the copy of the receipt that clearly states the weight was around 1kg, so I clearly sent it out. They then got back to me with a refund as a goodwill gesture as I had a ground to stand on and never made any dispute
I had the same thing happen to me but it was with UPS. The buyer claimed he received a completely different item to the one I shipped yet when he returned the "so called" item back to me it was in the original packaging I shipped it out in. It was only £15 so I just refunded the guy and laughed it off. How sad over £15.
Shevchenko23/09/2019 00:07

I had the same thing happen to me but it was with UPS. The buyer claimed …I had the same thing happen to me but it was with UPS. The buyer claimed he received a completely different item to the one I shipped yet when he returned the "so called" item back to me it was in the original packaging I shipped it out in. It was only £15 so I just refunded the guy and laughed it off. How sad over £15.

At least they sent the item back, better than some who would sent back a box filled with business cards or something like that.
jamie1523/09/2019 01:18

At least they sent the item back, better than some who would sent back a …At least they sent the item back, better than some who would sent back a box filled with business cards or something like that.

You're either missing the point or I didn't explain it correctly. The so called item was an item he'd swapped out for mine. So I got his rubbish back. Happy days!
Shevchenko23/09/2019 01:21

You're either missing the point or I didn't explain it correctly. The so …You're either missing the point or I didn't explain it correctly. The so called item was an item he'd swapped out for mine. So I got his rubbish back. Happy days!

Oh okay, I did misread as you said original packaging. Pathetic for £15! I have had chargebacks for digital items before but that was expected, it must be horrible to have their rubbish sent back.
jamie1523/09/2019 01:24

Oh okay, I did misread as you said original packaging. Pathetic for £15! I …Oh okay, I did misread as you said original packaging. Pathetic for £15! I have had chargebacks for digital items before but that was expected, it must be horrible to have their rubbish sent back.

Yeah it's very sad, when he messaged me I knew he was trying it on. Of course eBay forced me to cover the return costs and by then I was genuinely curious. Low and behold he sent back an item I'd never seen in my life and I couldn't even tell you what it was. I knew I wouldn't get anywhere with eBay so just refunded him and threw it in the bin.
I would never sell anything on eBay, just too many robbing barstewards...what a sad world in which we live hey..🤐
Scpock, appears better, face to face, and cash..
I BUY more via Shpock than the 'bay now..just better..safer
The sad lesson is to never sell anything through ebay/payapl that you can't afford to lose - at least unless it's for collection only, in which case only ever accept cash payment. Even after you receive a paypal payment and post an item on ebay the money isn't actually yours because a buyer can simply open a 'not as described' case for any item and the ebay system will automatically 'decide' in the buyer's favour (in reality there is no decision made), which means you're accepting a return at your expense whether you like it or not. From that point, what you receive back may or may not be what you actually sold, but they buyer is getting his/her refund anyway.

Depressingly this is just life on ebay, and if and when it happens, it's only worth getting angry up to a point before you just accept it or stop using ebay. There are a few things you can do in your listing to lower the chances that someone unscrupulous will buy your stuff, but it's always going to be a possibility so you're only ever going to be able to lower rather than eliminate that risk.
Fatal.Swan23/09/2019 08:19

The sad lesson is to never sell anything through ebay/payapl that you …The sad lesson is to never sell anything through ebay/payapl that you can't afford to lose - at least unless it's for collection only, in which case only ever accept cash payment. Even after you receive a paypal payment and post an item on ebay the money isn't actually yours because a buyer can simply open a 'not as described' case for any item and the ebay system will automatically 'decide' in the buyer's favour (in reality there is no decision made), which means you're accepting a return at your expense whether you like it or not. From that point, what you receive back may or may not be what you actually sold, but they buyer is getting his/her refund anyway. Depressingly this is just life on ebay, and if and when it happens, it's only worth getting angry up to a point before you just accept it or stop using ebay. There are a few things you can do in your listing to lower the chances that someone unscrupulous will buy your stuff, but it's always going to be a possibility so you're only ever going to be able to lower rather than eliminate that risk.

True. I had a buyer return something even though eBay agreed my description was accurate. The buyer either couldn't bother reading or adding but still eBay allowed this behaviour.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants