ebay transaction gone wrong - buyer broke computer - what can I do

Found 7th Aug 2017
Hi.

I sold a computer through ebay. I am a private seller and I specified no returns in the listing.

The buyer initially complained that there was no power supply but later found it in the packaging! They messaged me later to say that ". System powered up perfectly. Thanks." but didn't leave feedback.

The next day - they contacted me to say the system was broken. I tried to help them with trouble shooting but I think they have completely screwed up the machine. They then opened a case to get a refund. This seems unfair at it was obviously working when it arrived. I know ebay sides with the buyer 99% of the time but...

What are my options? Do I have to put this down to experience, give them the refund, pay for return postage and have a machine back that they broke? It seems unfair but I wouldn't be surprised.

thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

I'd just copy the messages he sent you initially into the paypal case and just argue your case that it was obviously working at the point he received it, its a used item(if it is?) and that as such it's buyer beware like with any used item you would buy that had no warranty.

That would probably still not work but i'd at least fight it a little.

Original Poster

Yes - Item condition was "Used"

Buyer money back guarantee. Accept the return. You don't have a stand tbh mate. Sorry to hear.

As said paste the message in to the dispute comments section

Also request an engineers report before accepting a refund and inform the buyer that you will be reporting them for attempted fraud if the fault was caused by them and they're claiming that it was like that upon receipt

(basically just BS the buyer if you know for sure they've caused the issue)
Edited by: "dataload" 8th Aug 2017

eBay cases like this are a pain in the as# to win without been completely blunt with the buyer. You are right eBay would most definitely side with the buyer. The only way I have got anywhere with this type of case is to use the threat of court action as you have messages saying "system powered up perfectly Thanks" this goes in you favour you can start the process online for court action. Send them this link and tell them you will go to court over this as they have broken the laptop. They will probably close they case themselves moneyclaim.gov.uk/web…ome and this link is for you to look at gov.uk/mak…ees. Very cheap to do these days.

Use the message where he confirmed that everything was working, so the fault must have occurred with buyer's usage and I can also give you a tip, which is that if you can prove the laptop has been opened up and or altered then you'll win. Get the buyer to say something like he opened it up or reinstalled something etc. Call it alteration and clearly say that the item you'd get back isn't in the original state you sent it. Alteration means you don't have to accept it back.
This was a tip from an eBay customer rep.
Edited by: "hearts22" 16th Aug 2017

Original Poster

Life was to short to put up to much of a fight about it. I got to a compromise (of sorts) where he agreed to pay return postage costs and I gave him a refund on the original item. The ultimate insult is when you have to pay return postage for an item they broke.

It arrived back and he had obviously been tinkering in the bios. I put things back the way they were supposed to be and its back working again. Question is whether I risk selling it again. Gumtree & facebook etc are good for selling things, but I find techie items have a much smaller audience.

Thanks everyone.

WhitePSP1 h, 1 m ago

Life was to short to put up to much of a fight about it. I got to a …Life was to short to put up to much of a fight about it. I got to a compromise (of sorts) where he agreed to pay return postage costs and I gave him a refund on the original item. The ultimate insult is when you have to pay return postage for an item they broke.It arrived back and he had obviously been tinkering in the bios. I put things back the way they were supposed to be and its back working again. Question is whether I risk selling it again. Gumtree & facebook etc are good for selling things, but I find techie items have a much smaller audience.Thanks everyone.

Not everyone is a scumbag!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants