Ebay Undelivered Item - Royal Mail Compensation?

Found 26th Jul 2012
I sold an item on ebay a few weeks back for £26 (not including postage). I made the mistake in sending the item out non recorded delivery (2nd class).

The buyer is now claiming he hasn't received the item. I have double checked the receipt and it was definitely send to the correct address. So I was just wondering whether I will be able to claim compensation from RM, and if so, how much?

I know I should have sent the item recorded, but I remember seeing there is around £49 or so compensation for standard 2nd class postage?

Thanks.

29 Comments

Yep, you can claim the £26 from royal mail. You have the receipt and make the claim.

It does not matter if it was 1st, 2nd or recorded.
They sometimes write to the recipient to ask them to sign a declaration they did not receive the item if not recorded etc..

You can claim the cost of the item, but not the postage??? Mad I know, but these are the rules..
Edited by: "Chiptivo" 26th Jul 2012

Original Poster

Chiptivo

Yep, you can claim the £26 from royal mail. You have the receipt and make … Yep, you can claim the £26 from royal mail. You have the receipt and make the claim.It does not matter if it was 1st, 2nd or recorded. They sometimes write to the recipient to ask them to sign a declaration they did not receive the item if not recorded etc.. You can claim the cost of the item, but not the postage??? Mad I know, but these are the rules..

Okay, thanks for the swift response

I'm hoping the process is quick and easy without them longing it out. Not sure how to prove the worth of the item though. I mean, won't people just lie and claim the full amount? I assume they'll need a screen shot of the ebay listing or the transaction code or something.

had 2 people in 2 weeks ask for their items, both instances the items have been returned as delivery attempts were made, but buyer did not arrange or collect the item. In one case the buyer said "oh i wondered what those cards were for"

idiots

royal mail dont class it as lost until 28 days i think

Original Poster

Unfortunately I have no way of finding out if the buyer if lying or not. For un-recorded items, can't the buyer just pretend he hasn't received the item and get their money back?

As long as you have the proof of postage you will be fine. Include all the documentation you can (screenshot of ebay sale, payapal details stating refund, and printout of email from buyer stating they have not received it) you should be fine and will speed up the claim. Will be up to 6 weeks though.
Edited by: "newbie1001" 26th Jul 2012

You won't get paid out by showing them the ebay sale page, I can guarantee that. You need PROOF of how much you paid for the item. E.g a receipt of when you bought it and how much you paid. They will now pay out based on the ebay sale price.

Original Poster

GentleTouch

You won't get paid out by showing them the ebay sale page, I can … You won't get paid out by showing them the ebay sale page, I can guarantee that. You need PROOF of how much you paid for the item. E.g a receipt of when you bought it and how much you paid. They will now pay out based on the ebay sale price.

I have the Royal Mail receipt from when I posted the item. I doubt I still have the receipt from when I bought it new, and I'm not too sure it's very important either. I mean, I'm pretty sure the majority of items sold on ebay won't have the original receipt.

GentleTouch

You won't get paid out by showing them the ebay sale page, I can … You won't get paid out by showing them the ebay sale page, I can guarantee that. You need PROOF of how much you paid for the item. E.g a receipt of when you bought it and how much you paid. They will now pay out based on the ebay sale price.

I've been paid 3 times without showing proof of how much i paid, why is that then?

Edited by: "newbie1001" 26th Jul 2012

GentleTouch

I bet you most of the items sold on ebay do have a receipt. Considering the majority of items are sold by business sellers, they have invoices with their cost price. You can only claim back your COST price. Not sale price. The whole point in this rule (introduced quite a while back now) is for royal mail to avoid paying out. Feel free to send your claim off with the ebay sale page and your proof of postage, but you'll receive a letter back asking for proof of your COST price or you'll get paid out what you paid for postage and thats it.

newbie1001

I've been paid 3 times without showing proof of how much i paid, why is … I've been paid 3 times without showing proof of how much i paid, why is that then?

When was this?

The last 2 times i;ve tried to claim refunds, they sent a letter back to me a couple of weeks later asking for proof of cost price because they no longer pay out based on the sale price. Luckily, I had proof, and got paid my cost price which was sell than the sale price. They pay out whichever is lower though. You need both proofs.

royalmail.com/cus…ems (please see table 1) also, read the terms and conditions to clarify everything

Original Poster

Well I hope that isn't the case. I might have the original receipt somewhere, but it's a crazy game Royal Mail are playing. I mean, won't the cost of the item "new" be a hell of a lot more than what you sell it for 2nd hand on ebay?

chris2010uk

Well I hope that isn't the case. I might have the original receipt … Well I hope that isn't the case. I might have the original receipt somewhere, but it's a crazy game Royal Mail are playing. I mean, won't the cost of the item "new" be a hell of a lot more than what you sell it for 2nd hand on ebay?

To quote myself: "They pay out whichever is lower though. You need both proofs."

chris2010uk

Well I hope that isn't the case. I might have the original receipt … Well I hope that isn't the case. I might have the original receipt somewhere, but it's a crazy game Royal Mail are playing. I mean, won't the cost of the item "new" be a hell of a lot more than what you sell it for 2nd hand on ebay?

not always, I have sold a couple of no longer used items that ended up selling for more than I paid in the first place

non recorded second class!! Come on man.

chris2010uk

Yeh I can confirm this, I sold an item that went ''missing'', and I had postage certificate and all ebay and paypal details but all I got refunded was a book of stamps because I didn't have any proof as to what I paid for the item.
They will pay out what the item sold for on ebay as long as it's under the insurance amount but an original purchase receipt is too prove you legitimately owned the item.
I wasn't too bothered as it was about a tenner and ended up getting about £3 in stamps but lesson learned and now everything goes recorded (unless it's worth less than a book of stamps).
Edited by: "jamesjamesjamesjamesjames" 26th Jul 2012

Without sounding silly have you checked the local sorting office to the buyer to make sure its not sitting there?

Original Poster

jamesjamesjamesjamesjames

Yeh I can confirm this, I sold an item that went ''missing'', and I had … Yeh I can confirm this, I sold an item that went ''missing'', and I had postage certificate and all ebay and paypal details but all I got refunded was a book of stamps because I didn't have any proof as to what I paid for the item. They will pay out what the item sold for on ebay as long as it's under the insurance amount but an original purchase receipt is too prove you legitimately owned the item.I wasn't too bothered as it was about a tenner and ended up getting about £3 in stamps but lesson learned and now everything goes recorded (unless it's worth less than a book of stamps).

Ah ok. Thinking back, I actually bought the item for 25 quid and sold it £26 on ebay used. Taking into account ebay fees I prob lost a pound or two.

I know I should have sent it recorded, but I sell much more expensive items which I always send recorded. The price this sold for is more of less the cutoff point for me, and any higher I would have gone with recorded. As well as the extra money I would have to spend if I sent everything recorded, I also take into account it's much easier to post something through a letter box rather than go to the post office and do it which can be rather long given work commitments and having no car. Lesson learnt though and I definitely will be going recorded in the future for items over the £15 mark.

Original Poster

littlepinkstarz

Without sounding silly have you checked the local sorting office to the … Without sounding silly have you checked the local sorting office to the buyer to make sure its not sitting there?

I've just sent the buyer a message asking him to double check.

chris2010uk

Ah ok. Thinking back, I actually bought the item for 25 quid and sold it … Ah ok. Thinking back, I actually bought the item for 25 quid and sold it £26 on ebay used. Taking into account ebay fees I prob lost a pound or two. I know I should have sent it recorded, but I sell much more expensive items which I always send recorded. The price this sold for is more of less the cutoff point for me, and any higher I would have gone with recorded. As well as the extra money I would have to spend if I sent everything recorded, I also take into account it's much easier to post something through a letter box rather than go to the post office and do it which can be rather long given work commitments and having no car. Lesson learnt though and I definitely will be going recorded in the future for items over the £15 mark.

We are lucky in that regard, the post office backs onto our house and the postbox is outside so ones as easy as the other and being a village PO no queue's

Original Poster

harlzter

We are lucky in that regard, the post office backs onto our house and the … We are lucky in that regard, the post office backs onto our house and the postbox is outside so ones as easy as the other and being a village PO no queue's

Lucky

Whenever I go post office, there is always some clown in front of me in the queue who pays with coins and takes ages. It's actually quite worrying how this is always the case. oO

chris2010uk

Ah ok. Thinking back, I actually bought the item for 25 quid and sold it … Ah ok. Thinking back, I actually bought the item for 25 quid and sold it £26 on ebay used. Taking into account ebay fees I prob lost a pound or two. I know I should have sent it recorded, but I sell much more expensive items which I always send recorded. The price this sold for is more of less the cutoff point for me, and any higher I would have gone with recorded. As well as the extra money I would have to spend if I sent everything recorded, I also take into account it's much easier to post something through a letter box rather than go to the post office and do it which can be rather long given work commitments and having no car. Lesson learnt though and I definitely will be going recorded in the future for items over the £15 mark.

Yeh recorded is worth it if you don't have the original purchase receipt, if you can't find it then it might be worth checking bank statements and so on and seeing if you can get proof of purchase that way?
I live in a small town so always get postage receipts for everything these days.

harlzter

We are lucky in that regard, the post office backs onto our house and the … We are lucky in that regard, the post office backs onto our house and the postbox is outside so ones as easy as the other and being a village PO no queue's

Village Post office at the back of your garden with no queues? As a Londoner I have to tell you mate YOU ARE IN HEAVEN.

Original Poster

jamesjamesjamesjamesjames

Yeh recorded is worth it if you don't have the original purchase receipt, … Yeh recorded is worth it if you don't have the original purchase receipt, if you can't find it then it might be worth checking bank statements and so on and seeing if you can get proof of purchase that way? I live in a small town so always get postage receipts for everything these days.

With this particular item, I got a postage receipt because I had to go to the post office to send it. So it's only my own fault not getting recorded delivery with this particular item.

I'll have to look for the receipt when I get home, but I'm thinking it's unlikely I will find it.

from experience *only once* the form from royail mail for a lost or damaged item asked for the receipt and proof on how much the items worth so for instance the page on ebay

all i remember is ts an absolute ball ache filling it all in and having to wait ages to claim etc

chris2010uk

I've just sent the buyer a message asking him to double check.

You would be better calling up yourself as its much easier for the buyer not to bother and just get a refund, or pick it up and get a refund.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants