Ebay - unregistered 0% buyers doing my head in

Found 13th Feb
Hi all,

Anyone else had the same issue as below:

Item I am selling get a winning bid at the last minute and it's a 0% feedback buyer. No payment is received and the address is blank when you send an invoice.

Then you get an email from ebay saying its fraudulent because the buyer is not registered and they cancel the transaction.

I have argued with ebay over this 4 times now, asking why they allow buyers with 0% to register without being verified and have an actual address.... their answer is, we must be inclusive to all.......... WTF, so at the expense and hassle of the seller, I hate ebay with a passion these days.

EBay's answer is, don't worry, we refunded you're fees and you can re-list again. I then point out that I listed during a promo (like the £1 FVF) for example, will they stump up for that if I re-list?............no, they have no answer to that.

In the buyer requirements settings, you can't even block 0% buyers because ebay want newbies to get a chance to bid (even though the ******** don't even have an address on file)

Sorry, just wanted to vent, but EBAY can go suck a fat one.

Anyone similarly p'd off with ebay for this practice?
Community Updates
Misc
34 Comments
Offer to the next bidder in the chain.. However.. Yes. Annoying
Original Poster
wayners2 m ago

Offer to the next bidder in the chain.. However.. Yes. Annoying

You don't get the option to do a 2nd chance offer, the transaction is completely cancelled
"I have argued with ebay over this 4 times now, asking why they allow buyers with 0% to register..."

As to have more than 0% feedback requires a registration.
"EBay's answer is, don't worry, we refunded you're fees and you can re-list again... Anyone similarly p'd off with ebay for this practice?"

Yes, I stopped selling on eBay over ten years ago as the stuff I was listing was time-critical to gain maximum profit, & when winning bidders didn't respond post-close of the auction, I had missed the window of opportunity.
I'm with you man.
It's just people and how the world is. Some people are just bad news and in fairness what are selling companies supposed to do. We sold a chair on gumtree. Buyer came to view twice and knocked us down in price only to decide they never wanted it. Then 2 weeks later phoned again to say they would come look again.. Wtf.. We said it was sold to get rid of them but they became abusive. Phoned and messaged and even knocked on door again. Was all very odd.. Who do you blame. Gumtree or the mad nuts world we live in.. Jmo.. Annoying as it is you can't block 0% buyers or vet them first.. Just so annoying and upsetting but buyer and seller beware!
Have you tried stating in capital letters at the start of item description “BIDDERS WITH LESS THAN 5 FEEDBACK PLEASE CONTACT BEFORE BIDDING”. I doubt anyone would make a bid without reading the description if they were genuine buyers. Then if they bid and ignored you then they could possibly be dodgey bidders.
At car actions you need to deposit 2 grand before you can bid. Or something like that to stop those who charge their minds to walk away. I don't think that will work with ebay.. No answer as if you place restrictions on who can bid it will cause the end to auction sites. Just got to suck it and move on.. That's life
Original Poster
jayonline858 m ago

Have you tried stating in capital letters at the start of item …Have you tried stating in capital letters at the start of item description “BIDDERS WITH LESS THAN 5 FEEDBACK PLEASE CONTACT BEFORE BIDDING”. I doubt anyone would make a bid without reading the description if they were genuine buyers. Then if they bid and ignored you then they could possibly be dodgey bidders.

Jay,

Doesn't make any difference, they just bid and win at the last minute, so words don't go very far at all.
You can't block them and all the buyer accounts doing this end in "-0", so I suspect some script is being used to generate and bid, while ebay are sleeping and have no answer.

Ebay are just desperate to allow anyone on, as long as they get paid. I should have left when they started charging fees on postage... how they got away with that is beyond a joke.
jayonline851 h, 55 m ago

Have you tried stating in capital letters at the start of item …Have you tried stating in capital letters at the start of item description “BIDDERS WITH LESS THAN 5 FEEDBACK PLEASE CONTACT BEFORE BIDDING”. I doubt anyone would make a bid without reading the description if they were genuine buyers. Then if they bid and ignored you then they could possibly be dodgey bidders.

You'd be surprised. The listings on the phone app/mobile site don't actually show you the item descriptions without you specifically clicking on it. With most users browsing on mobile of some sort, there are a lot of buyers not bothering to read the item descriptions before bidding/buying.

Bottom line is they don't want second-hand sellers anymore. They want us on Gumtree or Facebook selling locally. it's short-sighted, but they've pretty much been the trusted face for the Chinese tat-sellers for so long that it won't really affect them.
Edited by: "Krooner" 13th Feb
Sharpharp1 h, 48 m ago

Jay,Doesn't make any difference, they just bid and win at the last minute, …Jay,Doesn't make any difference, they just bid and win at the last minute, so words don't go very far at all.You can't block them and all the buyer accounts doing this end in "-0", so I suspect some script is being used to generate and bid, while ebay are sleeping and have no answer.Ebay are just desperate to allow anyone on, as long as they get paid. I should have left when they started charging fees on postage... how they got away with that is beyond a joke.

They actually shut listings down if you put "such and such bidders please message/don't bid" for discouraging bidding. Had it happen more than once.
can be a blessing sometimes
i was selling a record player stated only for collection no shipping (as item was not working and incomplete )
won by a guy in spain who messaged me before not to worry as his mate would collect and pay cash when he won his mate was ill and he expected me to ship it to him in spain - got auction cancelled by ebay and relisted item went for £100 more

i know ebay is a lot of ppls whipping boy and yes you can sell for free through gumtree/facebook etc but i dont know anywhere else that has as many buyers
Sharpharp2 h, 24 m ago

Jay,Doesn't make any difference, they just bid and win at the last minute, …Jay,Doesn't make any difference, they just bid and win at the last minute, so words don't go very far at all.You can't block them and all the buyer accounts doing this end in "-0", so I suspect some script is being used to generate and bid, while ebay are sleeping and have no answer.Ebay are just desperate to allow anyone on, as long as they get paid. I should have left when they started charging fees on postage... how they got away with that is beyond a joke.

So annoying that especially after waiting however long for the auction to end then having to relist all over again.
You can change your seller settings so it doesn’t let anyone with under 5 feedback bid on your items
Had this the other day. When I went to post it post misters said to me this looks like a dodgy address. Turned out if I had sent it tracked I would still on be scammed. Someone else has just bought it off me also the 0% feedback but this looks like a normal address. Some people will argue "well we all have to start somewhere, remember once apron a time you had zero feedback" but I understand where you're coming from
wayners5 h, 30 m ago

It's just people and how the world is. Some people are just bad news and …It's just people and how the world is. Some people are just bad news and in fairness what are selling companies supposed to do. We sold a chair on gumtree. Buyer came to view twice and knocked us down in price only to decide they never wanted it. Then 2 weeks later phoned again to say they would come look again.. Wtf.. We said it was sold to get rid of them but they became abusive. Phoned and messaged and even knocked on door again. Was all very odd.. Who do you blame. Gumtree or the mad nuts world we live in.. Jmo.. Annoying as it is you can't block 0% buyers or vet them first.. Just so annoying and upsetting but buyer and seller beware!

Omg I would of called the police. Only once we had a nasty bitch collect something via gumtree and I've sold a lot on it. From the get go she was right nasty cow.
deleted265520
I'm done with selling on eBay.

I've never really had many issues but today some guy asked to return an item because "he wasn't as tech savvy as he thought". Even though the item was in full working order and he acknowledged that in previous messages and feedback.

Plus I'd sent him about ten messages assisting him and provided clear instructions.

He opened a case but under the category of "item not as described".

Ebay gave me several options:
Full refund and get gets to keep the item
Partial refund and he gets to keep the item
He can return the item for a full refund but I have to pay return postage???

In the end I weighed up my options and realised he could just break the item and return it as faulty despite acknowledgement of it working. I've heard enough horror stories of this happening before.

Plus I'm out of the country soon and won't be able to take the delivery.

So in the end I took it on the chin and reluctantly offered him a partial refund which he accepted (he can no longer open another case).

Should've stood my ground but I really cannot be bothered of paying return postage, having to check it all works and then re-sell.

Lesson learned. Don't sell anything on eBay.
Genuine 0% buyers have to start somewhere....if I didn't i wouldn't have 23 stars by now.
Edited by: "superspeedy" 13th Feb
machomansavage55 m ago

Had this the other day. When I went to post it post misters said to me …Had this the other day. When I went to post it post misters said to me this looks like a dodgy address. Turned out if I had sent it tracked I would still on be scammed. Someone else has just bought it off me also the 0% feedback but this looks like a normal address. Some people will argue "well we all have to start somewhere, remember once apron a time you had zero feedback" but I understand where you're coming from

I'm glad somebody understands it.

Apron, or otherwise.
Think I missing something. You sell an item, if they don't pay don't post. Not lost anything other than time and a little effort. You can get big troubles with buyers with over 500% but more likely to happen with 0% feedback I guess. Just listened to BBC money Box podcast where a business got scammed for 3 million pounds. They have got £700,000 back. Oh whoopi do! Now that would get your blood boiling!
Edited by: "wayners" 13th Feb
deleted265520
wayners1 h, 4 m ago

Think I missing something. You sell an item, if they don't pay don't post. …Think I missing something. You sell an item, if they don't pay don't post. Not lost anything other than time and a little effort. You can get big troubles with buyers with over 500% but more likely to happen with 0% feedback I guess. Just listened to BBC money Box podcast where a business got scammed for 3 million pounds. They have got £700,000 back. Oh whoopi do! Now that would get your blood boiling!

Whoopi do?

What about those who wait for a £1 final value fee offer just to get some non paying idiot come along?

Its bang out of order.
eBay is done ,move on it hates small sellers
Sell it as Buy it Now only with the requirement for instant payment via PayPal which means the listing is only ended once they pay.
That will keep most of the time wasters at bay although you will always get the odd one.
You can block people from other countries and with certain account deficiencies. These things should be on by default but eBay keep things open as it suits them.
Agharta17 m ago

Sell it as Buy it Now only with the requirement for instant payment via …Sell it as Buy it Now only with the requirement for instant payment via PayPal which means the listing is only ended once they pay.That will keep most of the time wasters at bay although you will always get the odd one.You can block people from other countries and with certain account deficiencies. These things should be on by default but eBay keep things open as it suits them.

Now that eBay handle the shipping to other countries, it's actually a load better. I prefer international buyers, given they pay so much for postage etc they're less inclined to start wangling for a part refund/discount once they've received it. the international shipping program is well worth being in.
yes, i had it last night selling a motherboard. LUCKY as a seller i have must have over 5 feedback to bid. The pain in the rear was not only did i get a email 2 secs before the end of the bid, they then spammed me 7 times with the same message on email about it.
gatwick201814th Feb

yes, i had it last night selling a motherboard. LUCKY as a seller i have …yes, i had it last night selling a motherboard. LUCKY as a seller i have must have over 5 feedback to bid. The pain in the rear was not only did i get a email 2 secs before the end of the bid, they then spammed me 7 times with the same message on email about it.

Sent my buyer it and she had 0 percent. Even tho I agree with thread I still think we all start somewhere. I years ago would of had 0 now I have 355 feedback. As long as Royal Mail website states verified you're bloody laughing 😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄
today says not signed for, but they got it 3 days ago and sent me pics, seems paypal wont release money to prove on website
DT8913th Feb

Whoopi do?What about those who wait for a £1 final value fee offer just to …Whoopi do?What about those who wait for a £1 final value fee offer just to get some non paying idiot come along?Its bang out of order.

This is why I take the time and stick up a load of dummy listings when these offers are on.

Recently sold a Nintendo switch (Console only) to a complete pleb who then asked for a refund the next day, before even receiving it.

I cancelled the order and relisted, only for another absolute tool to buy it and not pay - "Ok if I pay Friday?", could have asked before paying. . . . .

Blanket enabled 'Instant pay' after that then just edited the dummy listings to add pictures, description etc.

Luckily it then sold to some one for £15 more with 5k feedback, also paid instantly.

I think it's worse if you accept best offers and auctions rather than 'buy it nows'.

I pretty much exclusively sell gaming bits and haven't really run into many fools, probably because I'm honest in the description and take quite a few photos.
Original Poster
Another complete and utter idiot from an existing listing.
Sold a DVD film, sealed and new.

Buyer goes..."its damaged because the DVD is not on it's spindle (this is while it is still sealed and unopened) and then expects seller to pay return postage.... EBay's take on this, anyone wanna guess?
deleted265520
teh.arn3 h, 2 m ago

This is why I take the time and stick up a load of dummy listings when …This is why I take the time and stick up a load of dummy listings when these offers are on.Recently sold a Nintendo switch (Console only) to a complete pleb who then asked for a refund the next day, before even receiving it.I cancelled the order and relisted, only for another absolute tool to buy it and not pay - "Ok if I pay Friday?", could have asked before paying. . . . .Blanket enabled 'Instant pay' after that then just edited the dummy listings to add pictures, description etc.Luckily it then sold to some one for £15 more with 5k feedback, also paid instantly.I think it's worse if you accept best offers and auctions rather than 'buy it nows'.I pretty much exclusively sell gaming bits and haven't really run into many fools, probably because I'm honest in the description and take quite a few photos.

I wish they gave the option to require immediate payment when accepting a Best Offer.

The amount of people who accept my counter offer but never pay is infuriating.
DT8916th Feb

I wish they gave the option to require immediate payment when accepting a …I wish they gave the option to require immediate payment when accepting a Best Offer.The amount of people who accept my counter offer but never pay is infuriating.

That's what they need to do, I always have best offer on there because I'm happy to accept offers as long as they're not mental offers e.g. £2 for something listed at "50 "y u put bst offers if u not accept em?" bs type messages with them.

Now I end up rejecting them for anyone under 10 feedback.
deleted1023990
In my mind eBay lost all integrity once the ability for both parties to leave a negative feedback was removed.
teh.arn3 h, 11 m ago

That's what they need to do, I always have best offer on there because I'm …That's what they need to do, I always have best offer on there because I'm happy to accept offers as long as they're not mental offers e.g. £2 for something listed at "50 "y u put bst offers if u not accept em?" bs type messages with them.Now I end up rejecting them for anyone under 10 feedback.

I've taken to knocking it off completely. If it's an item with some play in it price-wise I discount it every ten days on a 30 day buy it now. £30 to start, £25 at day twenty, £20 at day ten. much better. Still get jokers using 'contact buyer' offering my 50% of my asking within a few minutes of listing though...
Sharpharp13th Feb

No, they stopped allowing sellers to leave neg feedback before then. That's when we should have all stopped selling.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants