eBay user may have scammed me... Help.

Found 6th Jun
Before I go into detail, yes, I should have made sure... very silly mistake I've made.

anyway!

Long story short, bought a few PSN codes from an eBay user with 95% rating and over 1000 feedback.

Bought, then looked at feedback... lots saying they are a scammer and ask for ID and then don't give code or give fake codes etc.

Sure enough the eBay user asked for my Driving Licence along with the date and time and their eBay username on a piece of paper next to it to prove I am the account holder etc etc.

Replied saying I don't feel comfortable doing that with their recent negative feedback, please refund or I'll have to open a PayPal case etc. They replied "don't threaten me, read before buy" - with this, he meant in the item description it goes on to say they MAY need to do a "verification" check etc etc.

Anyways I've opened a PayPal case, just worried I'm not gonna win here? or am I doing nothing wrong?

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
In your case to PayPal/eBay , state the seller has asked for personal information outside of that provided by eBay and that they have not stated clearly what information would be required in the sale or how they will store or process that information in accordance with GDPR. Additionally you have the right to be provided with this and it should demonstrate that the information is being transmitted securely, stored and processed securely and will be deleted when it is no longer required under the terms that it was collected for.

The seller has not provided this information and therefore they are not demonstrating compliance with European law and for this reason you want them to cancel the sale or you will consider legal action against both the seller (non compliance) and eBay for allowing unlawful actions on their platform. Fines for non-compliance are EUR 20,000,000.

You believe that by the seller asking for personal data that is not required for the sale on eBay and not demonstrating compliance with GDPR means that they are not operating in accordance with EU law and are in breach of the terms and conditions for selling on eBay and should be removed.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 6th Jun
35 Comments
Scam. Why do the need any proof. You are dealing through ebay. You have done the right thing. Why you thinking your not going to win? Can't force you to provide licence. You will get refund
Edited by: "wayners" 6th Jun
wayners4 m ago

Scam. Why do the need any proof. You are dealing through ebay. You have …Scam. Why do the need any proof. You are dealing through ebay. You have done the right thing. Why you thinking your not going to win? Can't force you to provide licence. You will get refund

Cheers, just a shame I have to wait a week to be able to escalate the case etc.
In your case to PayPal/eBay , state the seller has asked for personal information outside of that provided by eBay and that they have not stated clearly what information would be required in the sale or how they will store or process that information in accordance with GDPR. Additionally you have the right to be provided with this and it should demonstrate that the information is being transmitted securely, stored and processed securely and will be deleted when it is no longer required under the terms that it was collected for.

The seller has not provided this information and therefore they are not demonstrating compliance with European law and for this reason you want them to cancel the sale or you will consider legal action against both the seller (non compliance) and eBay for allowing unlawful actions on their platform. Fines for non-compliance are EUR 20,000,000.

You believe that by the seller asking for personal data that is not required for the sale on eBay and not demonstrating compliance with GDPR means that they are not operating in accordance with EU law and are in breach of the terms and conditions for selling on eBay and should be removed.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 6th Jun
cmdr_elito1 m ago

In your case to PayPal, state the seller has asked for personal …In your case to PayPal, state the seller has asked for personal information and that they have not stated how they will store or process that information in accordance with GDPR and due to this they are not demonstrating compliance with European law and you want them to cancel the sale or you will consider legal action.

Ah nice, thanks
cmdr_elito16 m ago

In your case to PayPal/eBay , state the seller has asked for personal …In your case to PayPal/eBay , state the seller has asked for personal information outside of that provided by eBay and that they have not stated clearly what information would be required in the sale or how they will store or process that information in accordance with GDPR. Additionally you have the right to be provided with this and it should demonstrate that the information is being transmitted securely, stored and processed securely and will be deleted when it is no longer required under the terms that it was collected for.The seller has not provided this information and therefore they are not demonstrating compliance with European law and for this reason you want them to cancel the sale or you will consider legal action against both the seller (non compliance) and eBay for allowing unlawful actions on their platform. Fines for non-compliance are EUR 20,000,000.You believe that by the seller asking for personal data that is not required for the sale on eBay and not demonstrating compliance with GDPR means that they are not operating in accordance with EU law and are in breach of the terms and conditions for selling on eBay and should be removed.

If you put that through you’ll probably see that seller disappear faster than an ice cream in a 45c day.
ArcAndPie20 m ago

Ah nice, thanks

Can thank him more by marking it as best answer
Bertz996th Jun

Can thank him more by marking it as best answer

Wish I knew how haha
ArcAndPie6 m ago

Wish I knew how haha

got me looking now and wondering where that has gone. oh well - must me behind the times on that one - sorry - pretty good answer by cmdr_elito though
Edited by: "Bertz99" 6th Jun
By the way all of scanned copies of driving licences are probably being sold to commit identity theft crimes......there are dodgy forums which trade these sorts of things. Your doing the right thing by not providing it.
cmdr_elito4 m ago

By the way all of scanned copies of driving licences are probably being …By the way all of scanned copies of driving licences are probably being sold to commit identity theft crimes......there are dodgy forums which trade these sorts of things. Your doing the right thing by not providing it.

He just replied on eBay saying "Deadline is26th June. I'll reply by then".... He's going to delay everything purposefully...
ArcAndPie5 m ago

He just replied on eBay saying "Deadline is26th June. I'll reply by …He just replied on eBay saying "Deadline is26th June. I'll reply by then".... He's going to delay everything purposefully...

That’s ok, if you make the case as I said he may find himself banned and all his eBay sales reversed. :-)
Although the seller shouldnt be asking for your id, to me its not a scam. They are covering their back incase after you have the code and redeem in you claim your paypal has been used fraudulently.

One of the code websites think it was electronic first asked me for if when i ordered x2 codes.

I sold an psn code on ebay, posted it recorded delivery also sent the code to the sellers inbox.

Tried scamming me soon as the code had been redeeemed. They wasnt aware i had sent the code to their address as well. Paypal sided with me.
Caroline_19931 m ago

Although the seller shouldnt be asking for your id, to me its not a scam. …Although the seller shouldnt be asking for your id, to me its not a scam. They are covering their back incase after you have the code and redeem in you claim your paypal has been used fraudulently. One of the code websites think it was electronic first asked me for if when i ordered x2 codes. I sold an psn code on ebay, posted it recorded delivery also sent the code to the sellers inbox. Tried scamming me soon as the code had been redeeemed. They wasnt aware i had sent the code to their address as well. Paypal sided with me.

Idk, he has a fair bit of recent negative feedback, it's put me off and the way he is being about the case is really unprofessional too
Who is the seller? Care to share a link?
ArcAndPie4 m ago

Idk, he has a fair bit of recent negative feedback, it's put me off and …Idk, he has a fair bit of recent negative feedback, it's put me off and the way he is being about the case is really unprofessional too

ArcAndPie4 m ago

Idk, he has a fair bit of recent negative feedback, it's put me off and …Idk, he has a fair bit of recent negative feedback, it's put me off and the way he is being about the case is really unprofessional too

Probably got negative feedback because buyers once purchased thought they were going to get a free psn code.

Im not defending the seller or taking their side, im only going off past experience with myself. I would never buy or sell a game code on ebay again.

Phone paypal, explain over the phone. Should refund straight away.
Caroline_199320 m ago

Probably got negative feedback because buyers once purchased thought they …Probably got negative feedback because buyers once purchased thought they were going to get a free psn code. Im not defending the seller or taking their side, im only going off past experience with myself. I would never buy or sell a game code on ebay again. Phone paypal, explain over the phone. Should refund straight away.

PayPal closed for calls until morning
cmdr_elito1 h, 15 m ago

In your case to PayPal/eBay , state the seller has asked for personal …In your case to PayPal/eBay , state the seller has asked for personal information outside of that provided by eBay and that they have not stated clearly what information would be required in the sale or how they will store or process that information in accordance with GDPR. Additionally you have the right to be provided with this and it should demonstrate that the information is being transmitted securely, stored and processed securely and will be deleted when it is no longer required under the terms that it was collected for.The seller has not provided this information and therefore they are not demonstrating compliance with European law and for this reason you want them to cancel the sale or you will consider legal action against both the seller (non compliance) and eBay for allowing unlawful actions on their platform. Fines for non-compliance are EUR 20,000,000.You believe that by the seller asking for personal data that is not required for the sale on eBay and not demonstrating compliance with GDPR means that they are not operating in accordance with EU law and are in breach of the terms and conditions for selling on eBay and should be removed.

This is why I love the hukd community
cmdr_elito37 m ago

That’s ok, if you make the case as I said he may find himself banned and a …That’s ok, if you make the case as I said he may find himself banned and all his eBay sales reversed. :-)

People are asking for the eBay username to who did this to me, if I share it on here can it hurt my case in any way?
ArcAndPie21 m ago

People are asking for the eBay username to who did this to me, if I share …People are asking for the eBay username to who did this to me, if I share it on here can it hurt my case in any way?

The inverse question could be what would you gain by posting it?

Cmdr answer is spot on as there is legislation on your personal data that enables you to walk away. Caroline's counter is you do not know if intent is good or not.

Placing sellers name on here could invert the question on your intent - i.e. were he to see could he place a claim of defamation and material harm? (I am being extreme to highlight why I wouldn't name )
Bertz996th Jun

The inverse question could be what would you gain by posting it?Cmdr …The inverse question could be what would you gain by posting it?Cmdr answer is spot on as there is legislation on your personal data that enables you to walk away. Caroline's counter is you do not know if intent is good or not.Placing sellers name on here could invert the question on your intent - i.e. were he to see could he place a claim of defamation and material harm? (I am being extreme to highlight why I wouldn't name )

I suppose if I shared it, it would just to raise awareness of a potential fraudulent eBay user, but I don't really have any other reason to share it
Buying or selling codes on Ebay is risky regardless. I agree with Caroline_1993, I don't think they're out to scam you, They've probably been scammed themselves in the past so trying to cover themselves. Often people buy codes, redeem them and put claims in and paypal/ebay nearly always side with the buyer.
.MUFC.12 m ago

Buying or selling codes on Ebay is risky regardless. I agree with …Buying or selling codes on Ebay is risky regardless. I agree with Caroline_1993, I don't think they're out to scam you, They've probably been scammed themselves in the past so trying to cover themselves. Often people buy codes, redeem them and put claims in and paypal/ebay nearly always side with the buyer.

Yeah I can understand where you're coming from, but if that was the case you'd think the seller would have refunded me by now instead of making it so awkward and unprofessional.
Hi is asking for I’d because kids use their parents account and buy stuff and then parents don’t reconise the charge and open a case or charge back where appropriate. I’ve been a victim many times and kids target these codes specifically
Edited by: "MR1123" 7th Jun
ArcAndPie6 h, 41 m ago

People are asking for the eBay username to who did this to me, if I share …People are asking for the eBay username to who did this to me, if I share it on here can it hurt my case in any way?

I don’t think it’ll hurt your case, but you just don’t know if they are a fraudulent seller and by putting their details in a post where their credibility is being questioned it could cause you some trouble if they found it.
MR11232 h, 54 m ago

Hi is asking for I’d because kids use their parents account and buy stuff a …Hi is asking for I’d because kids use their parents account and buy stuff and then parents don’t reconise the charge and open a case or charge back where appropriate. I’ve been a victim many times and kids target these codes specifically

Under new GDPR regulations buyers have the right to refuse to share personal data under these conditions and there is nothing you can do. You aren’t a big conglomerate so are unlikely be able to comply with the requirements for storing or processing the data which you would need to demonstrate compliance with. For example asking the buyer to email the details across is insecure transmission, as email is like a postcard and can be intercepted easily and any attachments read.

Remember the buyers agreement is with eBay/PayPal and their terms apply along with any lawful terms clearly stated and defined in the seller terms (providing they are lawful and compliant with eBay/PayPal terms).

I’d say that if kids have accessed a parents account then it could easily be argued with eBay/PayPal that the parents are responsible for ensuring that their account is secure and haven’t done that, therefore it’s their problem. There are plenty of mechanisms such as two factor for sales/payments which could be considered to secure the account.

Additionally GDPR is new and many people are still getting to grips with this new law, large companies have already updated the privacy policies but many small sellers etc won’t have the awareness or legal advice to be able to do this and they risk some eye watering fines.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 7th Jun
Reading the Above.. Will go in your favour.
cmdr_elito2 h, 12 m ago

Under new GDPR regulations buyers have the right to refuse to share …Under new GDPR regulations buyers have the right to refuse to share personal data under these conditions and there is nothing you can do. You aren’t a big conglomerate so are unlikely be able to comply with the requirements for storing or processing the data which you would need to demonstrate compliance with. For example asking the buyer to email the details across is insecure transmission, as email is like a postcard and can be intercepted easily and any attachments read.Remember the buyers agreement is with eBay/PayPal and their terms apply along with any lawful terms clearly stated and defined in the seller terms (providing they are lawful and compliant with eBay/PayPal terms).I’d say that if kids have accessed a parents account then it could easily be argued with eBay/PayPal that the parents are responsible for ensuring that their account is secure and haven’t done that, therefore it’s their problem. There are plenty of mechanisms such as two factor for sales/payments which could be considered to secure the account.Additionally GDPR is new and many people are still getting to grips with this new law, large companies have already updated the privacy policies but many small sellers etc won’t have the awareness or legal advice to be able to do this and they risk some eye watering fines.

If his listing states that providing these documents is necessary then it’s simple, do not make the purchase, if you make the purchase then you are agreeing to hand over the documents. All this can be avoided if you use a little comments sense.

And no it’s not easily argued with eBay PayPal I don’t know what experience you had to make you want to say that but I’ve had many, and it’s not.
ArcAndPie8 h, 7 m ago

Yeah I can understand where you're coming from, but if that was the case …Yeah I can understand where you're coming from, but if that was the case you'd think the seller would have refunded me by now instead of making it so awkward and unprofessional.

Agreed but some people are awkward. They're disappointed they haven't got your money!. That doesn't make them a scammer though.
MR11231 h, 57 m ago

If his listing states that providing these documents is necessary then …If his listing states that providing these documents is necessary then it’s simple, do not make the purchase, if you make the purchase then you are agreeing to hand over the documents. All this can be avoided if you use a little comments sense.And no it’s not easily argued with eBay PayPal I don’t know what experience you had to make you want to say that but I’ve had many, and it’s not.

I don't have to agree with sellers personal terms on a website like eBay. As long as I am happy with eBays terms and whatever paying platform I use (PayPal in this case) then after buying a product I should receive it. I am not forced to give any seller (especially with recent negative feedback!) Any personal information like my driving licence to complete a purchase, it's nonsense.
ArcAndPie2 h, 37 m ago

I don't have to agree with sellers personal terms on a website like eBay. …I don't have to agree with sellers personal terms on a website like eBay. As long as I am happy with eBays terms and whatever paying platform I use (PayPal in this case) then after buying a product I should receive it. I am not forced to give any seller (especially with recent negative feedback!) Any personal information like my driving licence to complete a purchase, it's nonsense.

You don’t have to agree correct but seller won’t send you anything. What did you think was going to happen. And why put yourself in this position? And put seller in that position because it was cheapest? Clearly you read the description, his not going to send you any codes Time waster. I’m sure there were other sellers.
MR11231 h, 39 m ago

You don’t have to agree correct but seller won’t send you anything. What di …You don’t have to agree correct but seller won’t send you anything. What did you think was going to happen. And why put yourself in this position? And put seller in that position because it was cheapest? Clearly you read the description, his not going to send you any codes Time waster. I’m sure there were other sellers.

Due to GDPR only recently coming in, I assumed his terms were outdated since he can't request information like that without a clear policy in place that states what happens with it, how it's used etc.

Sure, I understand he can't send me anything , so he should just refund me. But he's being awkward with it.
Ring up Paypal and in 8 days time you will get a refund. After you get a refund write a negative review, or write one now.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 7th Jun
MR11239 h, 52 m ago

If his listing states that providing these documents is necessary then …If his listing states that providing these documents is necessary then it’s simple, do not make the purchase, if you make the purchase then you are agreeing to hand over the documents. All this can be avoided if you use a little comments sense.And no it’s not easily argued with eBay PayPal I don’t know what experience you had to make you want to say that but I’ve had many, and it’s not.

The seller can ask but the seller needs to have a clearly stated privacy policy and on request be able to demonstrate that they can store and process the data in a safe and secure manner, if they can’t irrespective of stating whatever in their sale listing they are breaking the law and eBay terms (as it states unlawful activities are prohibited).
cmdr_elito22 h, 35 m ago

The seller can ask but the seller needs to have a clearly stated privacy …The seller can ask but the seller needs to have a clearly stated privacy policy and on request be able to demonstrate that they can store and process the data in a safe and secure manner, if they can’t irrespective of stating whatever in their sale listing they are breaking the law and eBay terms (as it states unlawful activities are prohibited).

Hi,

Just wanted to update you as you've been really helpful - eBay got back to me to confirm they do not allow sellers to ask for personal information like driving licences on their platform and they have sent the case off to their Trust and Safety team - I mentioned GDPR to them, looks like they're possibly going to get in trouble/banned.

PayPal case escalated and still on going - they have about 8-9 days left to reply/provide evidence they sent me the codes.

Cheers.
ArcAndPie2 h, 47 m ago

Hi,Just wanted to update you as you've been really helpful - eBay got back …Hi,Just wanted to update you as you've been really helpful - eBay got back to me to confirm they do not allow sellers to ask for personal information like driving licences on their platform and they have sent the case off to their Trust and Safety team - I mentioned GDPR to them, looks like they're possibly going to get in trouble/banned.PayPal case escalated and still on going - they have about 8-9 days left to reply/provide evidence they sent me the codes.Cheers.

Good to hear, especially given the bad feedback and the way the seller responded to you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants