Ebay voucher - but can only use "In-app" ???

Posted 8th Jun
I'd really like to ask someone who has knowledge in this area - Why?

I have no experience in using the Ebay "App" and have no wish to either. I am just curious as to why they offer this and what they get out of it? I received an Email with a £10 off a £20 spend - but ONLY valid if using their app. Why can't it be used via their normal website service - i.e. why limit it to the app only? What is their motive for pushing users towards the app, over the normal PC-browser accessed site? I'd happily spend via them on a normal computer vs phone app so they are effectively 'losing' my custom by limiting me to a particular platform.

If you can help put me straight, thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Download the app and use the voucher, then uninstall the app.

Apps require lots of permissions on your phone and they can gather more data for them to use than using a desktop PC, which could be one reason why they want people to use the app.
33 Comments
Download the app and use the voucher, then uninstall the app.

Apps require lots of permissions on your phone and they can gather more data for them to use than using a desktop PC, which could be one reason why they want people to use the app.
NCIS08/06/2020 13:47

Download the app and use the voucher, then uninstall the app.Apps require …Download the app and use the voucher, then uninstall the app.Apps require lots of permissions on your phone and they can gather more data for them to use than using a desktop PC, which could be one reason why they want people to use the app.

Cheers NCIS. No, I have no interest in using their app. I don't do "apps" Hehe. Just a personal choice. I am just interested in the logic behind enticing you towards using that platform over the normal computer-accessed site. It's been a LONG time since I ever had a 'voucher' offer and then I get one but it's 'limited' in it's use.

I'm not bothered by it or desperate to use it - just curious...

Regards, Phsy.
Ooooh, I hate to be a "hit & run" thread-poster but I've realised I have to go out. Panic! Lost track of time.

So, if anyone wonders why I'm not replying to them - sorry - I'm not here!

Thanks in advance for anyone's effort to answer my query.

Kind regards to all, Phsy.
A well designed app makes it a lot easier for users to buy compared to the website which in turn also leads to a lot more impulse buying. It is all about using psychology in the name of consumer convenience.
bozo00708/06/2020 15:20

A well designed app makes it a lot easier for users to buy compared to the …A well designed app makes it a lot easier for users to buy compared to the website which in turn also leads to a lot more impulse buying. It is all about using psychology in the name of consumer convenience.

As you said, it is all about convenience. Much easier to purchase.

Also, for people who have less apps installed they want to be one of the first choices. So if you are looking for an item, before browsing the internet for the item on different sites, you check their app first just because it's there.

Download the app and use the voucher, then uninstall the app.Apps require …Download the app and use the voucher, then uninstall the app.Apps require lots of permissions on your phone and they can gather more data for them to use than using a desktop PC, which could be one reason why they want people to use the app.

App is important if you're buying or selling on ebay.
a lot of companies are pushing their apps, not just ebay. hubby got a £5 voucher last year from amazon for using the amazon app to buy his watch. natwest gives me £1 every month for opening their app at least once a month.

certainly for retailers, encouraging their customers to download their app on their phone will encourage more purchases as the user sees the app all the time and it also can give alerts for deals. for other companies, i think the idea of pushing their apps, is that going forward, when everyone gets used to using apps and not the website, they would not maintain the website to the same level and put all their energy to maintaining and developing the apps.

plusnet for example doesn't fix bugs on their website and have advised me to use their app instead.
Edited by: "mutley1" 8th Jun
I love Torresani. Time to rewatch Caprica.
Hello all. Back, I am.

@bozo007@jamie15
Cheers for the input guys. Not sure I fully get it though. I assume the "app" is deemed easier as it's just 'press, press, press' ??? I don't see anything more difficult about logging in to the website - searching for a product and click "Buy it now." Is it not the same difference? With the app, you still have to log in to your account and search for products - do you not? Or is it more related to 'instant' purchase - i.e. as soon as you've clicked on a product it's paid for - you don't have to put in Paypal details or other payment options as it's all automated?

@I_Wish
Why 'more' important? Can you elaborate at all? I've both purchased AND sold on the web-platform and it wasn't difficult. Saying that, I've stopped now as it's far too troublesome with scammers aplenty...

@mutley1
You have some good points there. It certainly makes sense that these app developers would want you right in the firing line for targeted sales etc. I wonder though if that's where all the trouble comes from when others say they were talking about a product to someone via chat or SM and then; low and behold; there it is - advertised on your screen! Saying that, Ebay bombard me with junk mail - if I innocently search something for someone on here - a day later, there's a mail asking if I'm still interested! They are crafty though as you can't turn them off WITHOUT turning off special offers - which include vouchers...

@Rarnik
Wrong thread? I'm guessing you meant to post somewhere else.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 26th Jun
Phsycronix08/06/2020 19:36

Hello all. Back, I am.@bozo007 @jamie15 Cheers for the input guys. Not …Hello all. Back, I am.@bozo007 @jamie15 Cheers for the input guys. Not sure I fully get it though. I assume the "app" is deemed easier as it's just 'press, press, press' ??? I don't see anything more difficult about logging in to the website - searching for a product and click "Buy it now." Is it not the same difference? With the app, you still have to log in to your account and search for products - do you not? Or is it more related to 'instant' purchase - i.e. as soon as you've clicked on a product it's paid for - you don't have to put in Paypal details or other payment options as it's all automated?@I_Wish Why 'more' important? Can you elaborate at all? I've both purchased AND sold on the web-platform and it wasn't difficult. Saying that, I've stopped now as it's far too troublesome with scammers aplenty... @mutley1 You have some good points there. It certainly makes sense that these app developers would want you right in the firing line for targeted sales etc. I wonder though if that's where all the trouble comes from when others say they were talking about a product to someone via chat or SM and then; low and behold; there it is - advertised on your screen! Saying that, Ebay bombard me with junk mail - if I innocently search something for someone on here - a day later, there's a mail asking if I'm still interested! They are crafty though as you can't turn them off WITHOUT turning off special offers - which include vouchers...@Rarnik Wrong thread? I'm guessing you meant to post somewhere else.

to be honest with you, ebay app will be fine on your phone and if you don't want to have it there permanently just uninstall it after you have used it and got your discount.

we are living in a world of technology so soon everything will be done via apps. windows 10 is apps based anyway, even though it is a computer operating system.

i use the apps mainly for banking now as it is much faster than logging into the website and it is a lot more convenient. i haven't used apps for shopping but that is because i prefer to see products on a bigger screen on the computer before I buy it. also reading the reviews and product specifications is easier on the bigger screen, but if there was an offer via an app, i wouldn't hesitate to use it, if it is from a recognised retailer.
The app is great from a notification standpoint. Not everyone buys right away - sometimes, you just want to track a listing to see how bids are progressing. For sellers, notifications are even more important when questions or offers come in.

We now live in an "always on" world; I do not like all of it but sometimes, it is useful.

Hello all. Back, I am.@bozo007 @jamie15 Cheers for the input guys. Not …Hello all. Back, I am.@bozo007 @jamie15 Cheers for the input guys. Not sure I fully get it though. I assume the "app" is deemed easier as it's just 'press, press, press' ??? I don't see anything more difficult about logging in to the website - searching for a product and click "Buy it now." Is it not the same difference? With the app, you still have to log in to your account and search for products - do you not? Or is it more related to 'instant' purchase - i.e. as soon as you've clicked on a product it's paid for - you don't have to put in Paypal details or other payment options as it's all automated?@I_Wish Why 'more' important? Can you elaborate at all? I've both purchased AND sold on the web-platform and it wasn't difficult. Saying that, I've stopped now as it's far too troublesome with scammers aplenty... @mutley1 You have some good points there. It certainly makes sense that these app developers would want you right in the firing line for targeted sales etc. I wonder though if that's where all the trouble comes from when others say they were talking about a product to someone via chat or SM and then; low and behold; there it is - advertised on your screen! Saying that, Ebay bombard me with junk mail - if I innocently search something for someone on here - a day later, there's a mail asking if I'm still interested! They are crafty though as you can't turn them off WITHOUT turning off special offers - which include vouchers...@Rarnik Wrong thread? I'm guessing you meant to post somewhere else.

For example if you got your eye on something, the app with give you a notification 15 mins before the auction is due to end.

With eBay they can save your payment info on your account, both desktop and mobile. No need to input any information (I don't save cards for security reasons anyway). The process is broadly the same for purchase between desktop and mobile, but mobile also allows you to take pictures to find similar items and scan barcodes. It also allows you to shop while on the go. You can view notifications. You can shop when you are away from your laptop. If you have app already installed you are more likely to shop with the store as opposed to looking elsewhere.
jamie1509/06/2020 05:18

mobile also allows you to take pictures to find similar items and scan …mobile also allows you to take pictures to find similar items and scan barcodes. It also allows you to shop while on the go. You can view notifications. You can shop when you are away from your laptop.

Thanks jamie15. I guess I'm too "crotchety" now as I wouldn't need to do ANY of that! Haha. If I want to buy something - I'll log on and do some homework and then buy. I'm not an "instant" type of person on anything - even life!

I don't mind 'change' but I'm not a huge adopter of things labelled as 'convenience' - when really it's a mask for something else. Not specifically sinister; I'll say; but a cover nonetheless. It's no wonder there are so many returns being processed these days as it's so tempting and easy for folks to just press "buy" upon impulse - only to regret later.

I'm too tight for that. Every purchase I make is scrutinised, catagorised and cleared by an independent body in my mind called the "Do you REALLY need that?" committee. They can take a loooooooong time to make a decision...

As you might guess - I don't win many auctions.
Phsycronix09/06/2020 10:25

Thanks jamie15. I guess I'm too "crotchety" now as I wouldn't need to do …Thanks jamie15. I guess I'm too "crotchety" now as I wouldn't need to do ANY of that! Haha. If I want to buy something - I'll log on and do some homework and then buy. I'm not an "instant" type of person on anything - even life!I don't mind 'change' but I'm not a huge adopter of things labelled as 'convenience' - when really it's a mask for something else. Not specifically sinister; I'll say; but a cover nonetheless. It's no wonder there are so many returns being processed these days as it's so tempting and easy for folks to just press "buy" upon impulse - only to regret later. I'm too tight for that. Every purchase I make is scrutinised, catagorised and cleared by an independent body in my mind called the "Do you REALLY need that?" committee. They can take a loooooooong time to make a decision...As you might guess - I don't win many auctions.

there isn't anything sinister about apps, lol it is just the way forward in technology and the pc will become an antique one day.
not everyone has access to a pc, but most people have access to a smart phone or tablet. so availability of apps means access is widely available to everyone.

it means accessibility is every where and you don't have to wait to get home to use your wifi connection to get anything done. you can just use the data on your phone. not everyone has internet at home either even though they have a smart phone.

Thanks jamie15. I guess I'm too "crotchety" now as I wouldn't need to do …Thanks jamie15. I guess I'm too "crotchety" now as I wouldn't need to do ANY of that! Haha. If I want to buy something - I'll log on and do some homework and then buy. I'm not an "instant" type of person on anything - even life!I don't mind 'change' but I'm not a huge adopter of things labelled as 'convenience' - when really it's a mask for something else. Not specifically sinister; I'll say; but a cover nonetheless. It's no wonder there are so many returns being processed these days as it's so tempting and easy for folks to just press "buy" upon impulse - only to regret later. I'm too tight for that. Every purchase I make is scrutinised, catagorised and cleared by an independent body in my mind called the "Do you REALLY need that?" committee. They can take a loooooooong time to make a decision...As you might guess - I don't win many auctions.

You are overthinking, far more important things to worry about.

I research most things I buy as well, but still use app. The notifications from sales are very helpful.

I've impulse purchased before but very rarely.
Rednirah09/06/2020 12:29

You are overthinking, far more important things to worry about.

Trust me, I'm deffo not overthinking! Hehe. I couldn't care less about it. It was just simple curiosity as to why they would offer a voucher - but limit it ONLY to use via their app. I won't be using it and again, trust me when I say I won't lose sleep over it.

Regards, Phsy.
@Phsycronix Just logged in and confused by the wink on your reply to me. Is your wink emoji a sign that you do know why I posted what I did? Curious.
Rarnik25/06/2020 23:07

@Phsycronix Just logged in and confused by the wink on your reply to me. …@Phsycronix Just logged in and confused by the wink on your reply to me. Is your wink emoji a sign that you do know why I posted what I did? Curious.

Curious? I assumed it was a simple error (on your part) in posting a comment to the wrong thread. It's no biggie so the emoji was just a 'nod' - that's all. I didn't want to make it a harsh statement and a felt like I was being cheeky. I never thought an emoji would cause an issue so I'll remove it.

By the way, what was your comment about? Alessandra Torresani (the actor)? Very pretty girl. Never seen "Caprica" though.
Rarnik25/06/2020 23:07

@Phsycronix Just logged in and confused by the wink on your reply to me. …@Phsycronix Just logged in and confused by the wink on your reply to me. Is your wink emoji a sign that you do know why I posted what I did? Curious.

I see you haven't met aw0079 yet...

They can grab everything in the first access though so I wouldn't download then uninstall. I would rather install on backup phone that is constantly reset.
MadeDixonsCry26/06/2020 12:12

I see you haven't met aw0079 yet...

Say what now?

How's it going MDC? Hope you are well.
Phsycronix26/06/2020 12:28

Say what now? How's it going MDC? Hope you are well.

I'm ok thanks. I hope you are too.
I just meant that that guy used to put winks after ever post and no-one really knew why.
MadeDixonsCry26/06/2020 14:56

I'm ok thanks. I hope you are too.I just meant that that guy used to put …I'm ok thanks. I hope you are too.I just meant that that guy used to put winks after ever post and no-one really knew why.

lol. i think he has an issue with his eye. it keeps blinking all the time
I got the same email twice, lucky me, and its actually made me use eBay more now than i did when it was just on my computer I have fallen for their trick and I'm not mad
mutley126/06/2020 15:16

lol. i think he has an issue with his eye. it keeps blinking all the …lol. i think he has an issue with his eye. it keeps blinking all the time

Yeah, he's such a winker.
minifig29026/06/2020 15:28

I got the same email twice, lucky me, and its actually made me use eBay …I got the same email twice, lucky me, and its actually made me use eBay more now than i did when it was just on my computer I have fallen for their trick and I'm not mad

they would have put a lot of research into their marketing campaign so i am not surprised that you have been caught
@Phsycronix Thanks. I've got a neuro issue or two so it's hard to figure out what people mean sometime. The wink threw me.

NCIS' avatar is the lady in question.
MadeDixonsCry26/06/2020 14:56

I'm ok thanks. I hope you are too.I just meant that that guy used to put …I'm ok thanks. I hope you are too.I just meant that that guy used to put winks after ever post and no-one really knew why.

minifig29026/06/2020 15:28

I got the same email twice, lucky me, and its actually made me use eBay …I got the same email twice, lucky me, and its actually made me use eBay more now than i did when it was just on my computer I have fallen for their trick and I'm not mad

Well, since my initial post, I've had two more Emails. They seem rather desperate for me to use their App. They can keep on sending as many as they want...

"You won't get me, I tell ya. You won't get me!" (shakes fist in defiance)
Post a comment
@
    Text