Ebay - would you sell to this ebayer?

I have sold something or quite small value (less then £10) to someone with no history at all (this is their first ebay transaction) who lives in Ireland and wants me to send to someone else with the same surname at an unconfirmed paypal address. Dodgey? The person has paid the postage requested so I can not increase the postage costs to cover a signature on receipt (another £4.50) which would mean it cost me to send him the product. Is there anything I can do about this? Thanks

18 Comments

Cover your back and post to the addess of the buyer, what he does with it after it is in his hands is his choice.

tell them its to their registered/confirmed address only.

You must post it to their confirmed paypal address and it is their responsibility to then forward it on.

I refuse point blank to sell and post to anyone outside mainland uk. It's best to put this in future autions.

I can't see a problem if you have an email request from them asing for delivery to that address via EBay to send to a different address and you could produce it in the event of a dispute, you've got to start somewhere. If you are really worried why not email EBay before you send it to say what you are doing and why (and let the buyer know that's what you have done) or ask for advice via the contact us bit?

and ... maybe they live in a flat and are out all day and don't trust the postie or their neighbours

Ask for the extra postage

Long story short, they normally end up with what you sold to them, and they keep their money because ebay will refund them as you posted to an unconfirmed address

davelfc;5252507

You must post it to their confirmed paypal address and it is their … You must post it to their confirmed paypal address and it is their responsibility to then forward it on.I refuse point blank to sell and post to anyone outside mainland uk. It's best to put this in future autions.

I am the same I wouldn,t post to merseyside

noeltech2000;5253408

pmsl :-D

noeltech2000;5253408

IDIOT

This might not be as dodgy as you think , We have family in cork and they buy things of ebay but ask us to pay for it and get them sent to our house and we then post them its something to do with the costs i;e Euro to the pound it was cheaper to buy in sterling than in the euro

Tony

I thought posting to unconfirmed address is ok as long as paypal says you are protected on the transaction details page... You should get a certificate of posting as proof that you sent it.

Slash;5255356

I thought posting to unconfirmed address is ok as long as paypal says you … I thought posting to unconfirmed address is ok as long as paypal says you are protected on the transaction details page... You should get a certificate of posting as proof that you sent it.

a certificate of posting is no good for paypal claims. You must have proof of DELIVERY

prenton01;5255341

IDIOTThis might not be as dodgy as you think , We have family in cork and … IDIOTThis might not be as dodgy as you think , We have family in cork and they buy things of ebay but ask us to pay for it and get them sent to our house and we then post them its something to do with the costs i;e Euro to the pound it was cheaper to buy in sterling than in the euroTony

noeltech was not being an idiot - he was responding to the 'idiot' who posted above him..............:p

davelfc;5252507

I refuse point blank to sell and post to anyone outside mainland uk. It's … I refuse point blank to sell and post to anyone outside mainland uk. It's best to put this in future autions.

..............have a look at their locations...........................:whistling:

If you are not sending it by trackable mail (signed for) - then you are not covered by Paypal at all. If they want to do a chargeback they are able to, at any stage, and you will have no recompense - so it doesn't really matter which address you send to. It depends if you trust the buyer enough to send it at all - which, to be honest - I don't think you can really refuse to do - they are registered, and have purchased and paid for the item in good faith.

Even if they do do a charge back, you can always claim for the 'lost' item from Royal Mail anyway, and you are well under to £36 cover - although RM do take forever to issue compensation (make sure you keep proof of postage!). It is a low value item anyway, so the chances of anyone scamming you are pretty low. I would go for it personally, but it is a totally personal decision.

dancrawley;5255396

noeltech was not being an idiot - he was responding to the 'idiot' who … noeltech was not being an idiot - he was responding to the 'idiot' who posted above him..............:p

One thing i hate is people who aim cheap laughs at merseyside and scousers and steretyping them as theives and dodgy

i:e I wouldnt post to merseyside

if he wasnt doing this then i'm sorry

prenton01;5255519

One thing i hate is people who aim cheap laughs at merseyside and … One thing i hate is people who aim cheap laughs at merseyside and scousers and steretyping them as theives and dodgy i:e I wouldnt post to merseysideif he wasnt doing this then i'm sorry

I'm with you there - I lived and worked in Liverpool for 7 years - it is a great city, with some great people.

davelfc seemed to be inferring that anyone buying on eBay from outside mainland UK was on the fiddle:roll: - which of course is nonsense. You are just as likely to have a dodgy buyer from the UK as you are from abroad. I sell an awful lot of stuff on eBay to southern and Northern Ireland, as well as Italy, France, Spain, Norway, Demnark, Sweden, Czech Republic, Russia.................etc etc - and have had only one or two scams in 5 years or more (touch wood).

The jibe about Merseyside seemed to be directed at davelfc's comment (and his location), not at scousers in general.

Without going into specifics much the same thing happened to me when I sold a HD crash helmet on EBay and someone from Cyprus bought it, great, I had said UK only, anyway I contacted EBay and they said to ask for a UK address and send it there, which I did and all was fine. Everything was documented by EBay and I would have gone back to them if things had gone wrong having followed their advice to the letter. There's got to be some sort of trust surely?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would29116
    2. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway44
    3. [Xbox] 6 Months Xbox Live For £14.99 (When Purchasing Selected Games At Ama…11
    4. Asda having major issues with deliveries today55

See more discussions