Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

eBay/PayPal help

Posted 15th Jan
So...I sold a fortnite code I got with my Xbox on eBay but I clearly stated if they want it digitally they have to tell me otherwise it will be posted

Somebody bought it and asked for it digital

3 days later PayPal take the money out of my account saying the buyer has claimed it is an unauthorised purchase

I know there is probably no way I can win now but if there is I could really use your help

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
You've lost it unfortunately
Buyers are protected but not sellers. pretty much anything digital you sell on ebay, a scammer will be after it
You might be out of luck sorry mate
I’ve only ever been covered when I posted the code mate
Given the buyer claimed unauthorised purchase, he would have to return it I believe which is why I was covered
deals6915/01/2020 21:20

You've lost it unfortunately :(Buyers are protected but not sellers. …You've lost it unfortunately :(Buyers are protected but not sellers. pretty much anything digital you sell on ebay, a scammer will be after it

Honestly, I know I’ve lost but it’s so annoying, I just can’t accept it

Some real pieces of sh*t out there
sohailh198415/01/2020 21:21

You might be out of luck sorry mate I’ve only ever been covered when I p …You might be out of luck sorry mate I’ve only ever been covered when I posted the code mateGiven the buyer claimed unauthorised purchase, he would have to return it I believe which is why I was covered

That’s the thing he’s also used the code

I should’ve shipped it
Jimathon15/01/2020 21:23

That’s the thing he’s also used the code I should’ve shipped it

It’s frustrating bud and we all learn the hard way sadly - only thing I can suggest is maybe email Microsoft to see what email address redeemed it or maybe the date/time it was redeemed if they won’t provide the email address, if it’s after your purchase date which it will be, raise that back to PayPal?
Just trying to think of random things to get your cash back - horrible folk scammers
Even if you posted it and had proof won't make a difference as they said their eBay was unauthorized. You could contact the game company it belongs to and say your code isn't working and they will give you ip addresse and time it was used etc and put a small claims in. You could even still post it if eBay allow it and then show tracking. Just say you sent digitally and via post which you should do in future.
Edited by: "MR1123" 15th Jan
MR112315/01/2020 21:33

Even if you posted it and had proof won't make a difference as they said …Even if you posted it and had proof won't make a difference as they said their eBay was unauthorized. You could contact the game company it belongs to and say your code isn't working and they will give you ip addresse and time it was used etc and put a small claims in. You could even still post it if eBay allow it and then show tracking. Just say you sent digitally and via post which you should do in future.

Think the only thing in favour of a seller here is that with a unauthorised transaction, if you’ve posted it like I did In the past, it would have gone to their PayPal postal address, so the buyer claiming unauthorised transaction would have to return the item. I send my codes signed for and thankfully have only had 1 person try to scam me which didn’t work as PayPal could see tracking with the item being signed for
Jimathon15/01/2020 21:22

Honestly, I know I’ve lost but it’s so annoying, I just can’t accept itSom …Honestly, I know I’ve lost but it’s so annoying, I just can’t accept itSome real pieces of sh*t out there

Yup exactly. Had it happen to me twice too but luckily both times I got around it by not sending the code through message until a couple days later
If you sell a digital code in future use the AV forums Gaming classifieds... I found the people on there to be more trustworthy, no fees either!
How much do codes sell for?
ssc115/01/2020 21:42

How much do codes sell for?

Mine sold for £30
Jimathon15/01/2020 21:42

Mine sold for £30

Can't you post it aswell and give proof of postage.
MynameisM15/01/2020 21:47

Can't you post it aswell and give proof of postage.

I was going to but as it’s an unauthorised purchase claim it wouldn’t help my case
Are you able get it blocked by company by saying someone has got nicked your code.
MynameisM15/01/2020 21:48

Are you able get it blocked by company by saying someone has got nicked …Are you able get it blocked by company by saying someone has got nicked your code.

Yeah as previously suggested i was going to try and at least get the code back by emailing Microsoft and epic games
sohailh198415/01/2020 21:38

Think the only thing in favour of a seller here is that with a …Think the only thing in favour of a seller here is that with a unauthorised transaction, if you’ve posted it like I did In the past, it would have gone to their PayPal postal address, so the buyer claiming unauthorised transaction would have to return the item. I send my codes signed for and thankfully have only had 1 person try to scam me which didn’t work as PayPal could see tracking with the item being signed for

What’s stopping someone using the code then sending it back when PayPal dispute asks them to?
choccie3215/01/2020 21:58

What’s stopping someone using the code then sending it back when PayPal d …What’s stopping someone using the code then sending it back when PayPal dispute asks them to?

No idea mate - I didn’t get that far with mine - PayPal just saw it had been signed for and closed in my favour
Jimathon15/01/2020 21:48

I was going to but as it’s an unauthorised purchase claim it wouldn’t help …I was going to but as it’s an unauthorised purchase claim it wouldn’t help my case

But if that's the case shouldn't eBay refund you as they should sort this out with the buyer if it's hacked or not the seller doesn't know and he shouldn't be penalised I mean they take there fees and commissions so they should take the fall for scams not expect the sellers too take the fall.
ebay.co.uk/hel…289

You're covered providing it's listed in the correct category 'everything else'. I've kept funds with a digital code sold to an 'unauthorised transaction account' Ebay just stated since it was listed correctly, funds were mine. Not sure if Paypal were of the same stance, but there was no claim from them either.
I had same issue with a horizon code I received. I complained to eBay and they did give me the money back fortunately
Jimathon15/01/2020 21:42

Mine sold for £30

Didn’t sell for £30 ,you gave away £30 worth of code...
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 16th Jan
Bargainhead16/01/2020 06:15

Didn’t sell for £30 ,you gave away £30 worth of code...

Basically yeah
Had the same happen to me, first like yourself the second I sent code via post, they recived and said it didn't work. EBay sided with them.
Sent a blank envelope signed for and upload to PayPal for proof of postage and tell them it had been sent and delivered.. done it before to get my own back..and won the PayPal case!!
RealBargainHunter16/01/2020 14:46

Sent a blank envelope signed for and upload to PayPal for proof of postage …Sent a blank envelope signed for and upload to PayPal for proof of postage and tell them it had been sent and delivered.. done it before to get my own back..and won the PayPal case!!

I want to do this but, i feel like they’d find it suspicious that I sent it after the claim has been opened
Hey op don’t worry as same happened to me with a £60 game
I was furious and rang Microsoft who didn’t help at all and PayPal couldn’t do anything so I did online research and a thread came up saying post it still signed for. So I sent it signed for with a letter and 2 days later I rang PayPal saying they have received it and I got my money back! I was over the moon because I was absolutely gobsmacked when the so called buyer put a fake hacked account claim. They all are into it so be careful
Misslovely16/01/2020 17:48

Hey op don’t worry as same happened to me with a £60 gameI was furious and …Hey op don’t worry as same happened to me with a £60 gameI was furious and rang Microsoft who didn’t help at all and PayPal couldn’t do anything so I did online research and a thread came up saying post it still signed for. So I sent it signed for with a letter and 2 days later I rang PayPal saying they have received it and I got my money back! I was over the moon because I was absolutely gobsmacked when the so called buyer put a fake hacked account claim. They all are into it so be careful

PayPal are looking at the case

Should I still send it to them now?
Jimathon16/01/2020 17:50

PayPal are looking at the case Should I still send it to them now?

Yea as I did. I couldn’t face the loss. As long as it’s signed for, you keep receipt and add tracking number on eBay or give it to PayPal as I can’t remember which I chose and bingo your done. It’s only £1.80 I think for 2nd class letter and definitely worth a try. Don’t let the scammer win! I also added a letter with few f words and the Xbox was for my son and we are out of pocket. I sent it 2 days after as I got scammed on a Saturday at 11am and post office close at 1 etc
The buyer later apologised through eBay messages saying it wasn’t him.
Tell him someone will be paying a visit at his house too, so he gets scared for few days
Edited by: "Misslovely" 16th Jan
39700714-f6X8J.jpg
We got em
Thanks for the help everyone
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions