ebay/paypal refund issue

Found 24th Mar
Sold an item on ebay. low scoring buyer
immediate paid, immediately messaged to send to another address as per honest mistake/obvious scam
i refused and said payment will be refunded and need to be sent again
i went to refund and paypal want 20p for the honour! they refund the fees minus a 20p cut!
I'm not digging into my own pocket so I refunded the amount I received, they can suffer the 20p loss
I tried to cancel the transaction on ebay so I'm not charged fees but they see a 20p discrepancy and say that by requesting the cancellation, you authorise paypal to get the refund from your account, so I didn't proceed with that
this leaves me with the ebay fee still currently being charged, which is way more than 20p

what's the deal with this??
paypal and ebay are adamant you should NEVER ship to someone in this instance, it is a scam and you are NOT covered.
so when you protect yourself against this scam, you have to pay for the honour
SHAMEFUL!! there should be no charge. and if there is, it should fall at the feet of the one who attempted to scam/made the error, not the innocent seller
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
That's eBay for you, always looking out for the buyers
It’s 20p. Sometimes when you try to make money, it can go the other way and you can lose money.
it is only 20p
but it's the principle of it
at the time I only had the buyer's payment in my account, so would've had to jump through hoops to make up the 20p difference
but the fact is I shouldn't
i made no errors, yet i have to waste time AND money because of someone's attempt to defraud or inability to know where they live
Call eBay/PayPal.
I have refunded payments before but never been charged fees for that. Try and call them to see what happened.
Edited by: "hearts22" 24th Mar
Just saw this. Must be a recent change. 33506232-aKZMI.jpg
OP, can you not cancel the transaction via ebay?

State problem with buyer's address.

You'll then get your ebay fees back. PayPal will send across the remaining refund. You shouldn't be left out of pocket by using the above method - unless things have changed recetnly?
The 20p is the Fixed Fee and it hasn't been refunded for the best part of 4 years from memory.

A3.4.1 Full refunds
If you fully refund a Commercial Transaction payment, we will retain the Fixed Fee portion of the Commercial Transaction Fee.

As you sold something, the transaction is deemed to be a Commercial Transaction and you were charged the PayPal fee plus the 20p Fixed Fee. The Fixed Fee is retained by Paypal when you refund as it is the charge for actually managing the initial transaction (and any subsequent refund).
hearts2215 m ago

Just saw this. Must be a recent change. [Image]

Sadly it's changed a few years ago. I have a couple of business that also sell on Ebay and it can soon end up to be an expensive fee if people cancel or ask for a return.
Edited by: "windym" 24th Mar
deleted1023990
Morally correct or not, it's just 20p OP.
I'd be happy to lose 20p over the risk of a complete claw-back shipping to a different address.

Refund in full, lose 20p, let it go and move on. Sometimes it's best not fighting your way through life.
If it still grates, just put the price up 20p in your next new listing to cover it.
Edited by: "deleted1023990" 24th Mar
DennisG6 h, 53 m ago

it is only 20pbut it's the principle of itat the time I only had the …it is only 20pbut it's the principle of itat the time I only had the buyer's payment in my account, so would've had to jump through hoops to make up the 20p differencebut the fact is I shouldn'ti made no errors, yet i have to waste time AND money because of someone's attempt to defraud or inability to know where they live

Stop using fbay (fraud bay), it’s awful and the security is pants, another load of accounts have been hacked again and eBay have reset everyone’s password!!
so I had a couple of good days and made lots of sales which has softened the blow
20p really isn't the end of the world but it does annoy me that ebay and their former sister company have engineered this system so that it invites people to attempt the different address scam and strongly advises against it and then has the tenacity to charge a fee to the innocent victim for this!!
if there is no consequence for the scammer, they will try and try and try again until they get lucky
i did message the buyer again to chase it up, but i'm unlikely to hear from them ever again
i'm going to register my displeasure with ebay and if by some miracle they play ball and cancel the fee, i'll report back here
DennisG25th Mar

so I had a couple of good days and made lots of sales which has softened …so I had a couple of good days and made lots of sales which has softened the blow20p really isn't the end of the world but it does annoy me that ebay and their former sister company have engineered this system so that it invites people to attempt the different address scam and strongly advises against it and then has the tenacity to charge a fee to the innocent victim for this!!if there is no consequence for the scammer, they will try and try and try again until they get luckyi did message the buyer again to chase it up, but i'm unlikely to hear from them ever againi'm going to register my displeasure with ebay and if by some miracle they play ball and cancel the fee, i'll report back here

I didn't know before this thread that you lose a part of the initial fee that they charge you when making a refund... I agree with you.

Sometimes you have to cancel and refund due to the buyer so why should you lose money?
all sorted after a phone call
i was hesitant because I knew it would take approx 7 minutes. with my day job, that's like £3 worth of time to chase after an issue worth a lot less
20p means different things to different people in different situations, I would happily write it off, but I staunchly do NOT like being ripped off or scammed, and there was just that extra degree of slap-in-the-face fee for protecting yourself from fraud 101
turns out their system for dealing with such a transaction is to cancel the order completely via ebay (not PayPal) and then the fee will be cancelled and the 20p won't be charged to the seller.
i'd tried to help guide a newbie through the process (it all seemed so innocent at the time according to their message!!) and still keep my sale live but it appears that my approach exposed a weird quirk/loophole that resulted in this situation
in ebay's defence, they did sort it all out with a phone call. but what I also didn't want to do was embark upon a quest that involved a forum thread and phone call that took 27 minutes of my time which is of course worth more than 20p. and they also flagged the user's account because I'm sure these attempts normally go under the radar and can be tried many times before they get caught
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants