Groups

eBook reader

My old eBook reader has just packed up. I'm looking for a reasonable replacement for around £100 . My requirements is that it must have Wi-Fi and can read any format pdf, word etc.
    cnet.com/uk/…rs/ is suggesting Amazon paperwhite or Kindle.

Just wondering anyone who owns this thinks or maybe they have a better suggestion.

Thanks

5 Comments

Just for your info, an Amazon paperwhite is a Kindle.

ibblackberry1

Just for your info, an Amazon paperwhite is a Kindle.

I'm guessing that the implied distinction is between the 'standard' Kindle and the Kindle Paperwhite.

Regardless, I can recommend the Kindle Paperwhite as a great eReader. It can handle PDFs, but you'll need a converter if you want to use it for EPUBs.

kindle paperwhite all day long for books
    what do you use word and PDF docus for? i'm not a fan of reading them on e-ink screens, and prefer to use an LCD tablet for them. similarly, i don't like using an LCD tablet/display (eg ipad, phone) for books. if you have access to a tablet that you can use for this, that may help you make a more informed choice about the rest of your usage
    my recommendation is kindle paperwhite all day long. (i just upgraded mine to voyage, but paperwhite is a better value product and the voyage was a luxury if somewhat unnecessary purchase.) backlit screen is a game changer. it can allow any format through calibre and has access to the kindle lending library (should you get prime) and a larger selection of books that can be bought compared to the alternatives (which run along the lines of nook/barnes and noble, kobo and sony, what feel now like 'also-rans' in the e-reader market)
    I got my voyage for sub-£100 nearly new. paperwhite can be bought within your budget new i think (on deal days)

Original Poster

Illusionary

I'm guessing that the implied distinction is between the 'standard' … I'm guessing that the implied distinction is between the 'standard' Kindle and the Kindle Paperwhite.Regardless, I can recommend the Kindle Paperwhite as a great eReader. It can handle PDFs, but you'll need a converter if you want to use it for EPUBs.

Yes that is what I mean. Thanks for clarifying.

Original Poster

DennisG

kindle paperwhite all day long for bookswhat do you use word and PDF … kindle paperwhite all day long for bookswhat do you use word and PDF docus for? i'm not a fan of reading them on e-ink screens, and prefer to use an LCD tablet for them. similarly, i don't like using an LCD tablet/display (eg ipad, phone) for books. if you have access to a tablet that you can use for this, that may help you make a more informed choice about the rest of your usagemy recommendation is kindle paperwhite all day long. (i just upgraded mine to voyage, but paperwhite is a better value product and the voyage was a luxury if somewhat unnecessary purchase.) backlit screen is a game changer. it can allow any format through calibre and has access to the kindle lending library (should you get prime) and a larger selection of books that can be bought compared to the alternatives (which run along the lines of nook/barnes and noble, kobo and sony, what feel now like 'also-rans' in the e-reader market)I got my voyage for sub-£100 nearly new. paperwhite can be bought within your budget new i think (on deal days)

Thanks for your detailed reply. Looks like paperwhite it is. I am tempted to pay the extra £10 to be ad free. The price is the same everywhere so will pop into John Lewis to get the extra peace of mind.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Walker crisps12
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767532
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!563843
      4. One thing you've forgotten2125

See more discussions