ECDL qualification

Found 18th May 2009
Im looking at completing one of these as i am out of work and its something else to add to my Cv. As I have a HND in Computing i guess i would find this relatively easy.

Has anyone with a good knowledge of computers done this?

How long did it take you?

Was it difficult?

Thanks

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
40 Comments

My OH did it, with limited computer experience, and knew more than the assessor!

i have it a basic ECDL qualification,

It basically tells you what a mouse is...

There are a few things that you learn, but it's all pretty basic stuff i found. Should be done in weeks instead of months i would say...

i done it a few years back, it was very very basic, could be done in a few days by someone whos up on computers and good at typing, problem is most companies dont recognise it as a qualification.

I wanted it and was told it was so basic I didn't need it.

Hi there,

As an ICT teacher, I really cannot see the merit in this course if it is at Level 2 (GCSE Standard). I would suggest that you look at the OCR Nationals in ICT course instead which is MUCH cheaper (about £30 max to register) and lots of colleges can do this with you. It also can be completed in about 15 hours. The first, mandatory) unit is all about ICT in Business so is relevant if you are looking to improve your ICT skills for work. Hope this is of use

Will

I did this through learn direct and stopped after a few weeks, I have good pc knowledge and it was like an insult some of the early stuff as it is aimed at people with little experience in the early parts of the course. I also found that because I have been using pcs for as long as I can remember you get set in your own ways of doing things but when doing this course it was their way and no other way even if you got the the correct answer quicker than they did if you know what i mean.
Good for beginners and only good for experienced if you want a certificate to add to the cv.

Banned

I did it and it was simple. You can get a disc that talks you through what you need to know and has practice tests. I reckon maybe an hour or 2 per module just to go through the tutorial. I watched the tutorials and did the tests the next day and passed them all with flying colours. I hadnt even used power point before.

As I have a HND in Computing

Don't bother.

Banned

It's for complete retards - don't bother with it.

Just put "Able to complete computer power cycle routine" on your CV. It's as respected as a ECDL

Original Poster

i agree with most about not bothering but the reason i am thinking about doing it is because a lot of the nhs jobs I am applying for ask for an ecdl qualification!!
I want something i can do in my own time at home and relatively quickly with minimal expense as I am jobless! lol

brettytopbanana;5248163

i agree with most about not bothering but the reason i am thinking about … i agree with most about not bothering but the reason i am thinking about doing it is because a lot of the nhs jobs I am applying for ask for an ecdl qualification!! I want something i can do in my own time at home and relatively quickly with minimal expense as I am jobless! lol

OCR Nationals in ECDL equivalent (but you actually learn something!!!). We do it in ou school for parents at nights through the school. Contact your local schools to see if they offer this too?

Original Poster

can that be done in your own time as I am not interested in going to classes etc etc!

We were made to take ECDL and Advanced ECDL as part of our National Diploma for IT Practitioners (granted this was almost 6 years ago!), it just daft if you already have qualifications in the same field. On some of the jobs does it not say ECDL or equivalent? I would imagine your HND is worth 10 times the ECDL qualification!

If you have an HND in computing, then that far outshines anything the ECDL can provide on a CV. If you have an HND, shouldn't you be going for a job that requires more skills than ECDL?

Original Poster

I totally agree that my qualification is better than that but I have just applied for a job that asked for a BTEC qualification and an ECDL.

It just seems pointless doing a qualification that is way behind what I have already done but if it betters my chances then it has to be worth it.

What happens if someone else applies but they have a HND and an ECDL?? They would already be one up on me!

Just put on your CV, "Studied ECDL". If asked say you read the book and realised that everything was already covered in your HND.

What did you cover in your HND, BTW?

Original Poster

There was a lot covered in my HND, access, programming ( which i cannot do) hardware, software etc etc

brettytopbanana;5248670

There was a lot covered in my HND, access, programming ( which i cannot … There was a lot covered in my HND, access, programming ( which i cannot do) hardware, software etc etc

If you cannot program, how did you pass the HND?

Original Poster

Sorry that was one of the choices, i started it but struggled with the whole concept of programming so i changed a unit which was allowed

suchafunkymonkey;5248684

If you cannot program, how did you pass the HND?

I passed my degree and can't program to save my life!:thumbsup:

xsazzyjayx;5248708

I passed my degree and can't program to save my life!:thumbsup:

:w00t: :w00t:
I had to take a minimum of 2 languages and 1 database as part of mine and then my dissertation/project had to use them.

I can't believe you can obtain a computing HND/degree and not be able to program it!

suchafunkymonkey;5248726

:w00t: :w00t:I had to take a minimum of 2 languages and 1 database as … :w00t: :w00t:I had to take a minimum of 2 languages and 1 database as part of mine and then my dissertation/project had to use them.I can't believe you can obtain a computing HND/degree and not be able to program it!

I did Java for 2 years and scraped through it by the skin of my teeth.

I used a program to do my final project with no programming in it at all - I just can't think what it was!!

Christ it was only in 2007 too....

Original Poster

i did mine in 2006 and i hated java it was horrid.

brettytopbanana;5248792

i did mine in 2006 and i hated java it was horrid.

I could do Visual Basic back in college but Java just annoyed me so much!

My mother passed the ECDL thing.

Recently, her PC failed. Wouldn't start up at all. After several days of it not working, I fixed it by plugging it in. Recently too, she wanted MS Office installed, because apparently the ECDL doesn't teach you that if you double-click on files, they tend to open with whatever's already instaled, ie. Open Office. I left a note of the serial because I couldn't be bothered doing that part myself, which she read out to me, letter-by-letter, before me asking "Is that correct?". Me. Because I'm going to memorise a 20-digit code. Despite this sort of thing (and I had to bite my tongue there to not get another infraction for bad language), my mother thinks she's quite good with computers. I blame the ECDL for that entirely, and the deep psycologial scarring it has caused me means that if I was the guy reviewing your CV, I would be more likely to curl into a ball and rock back and forth weeping than hire you.

Not that me teling you this helps at all, but I had to vent somewhere.

Since Uni:
VB, Prolog, Effiel, TCL, COBOL & Aion DS. Plus Oracle, DB2, SQL Server and some ETL Tools.
If you can program with VB, upgrade it to .NET.

suchafunkymonkey;5248874

Since Uni:VB, Prolog, Effiel, TCL, COBOL & Aion DS. Plus Oracle, DB2, … Since Uni:VB, Prolog, Effiel, TCL, COBOL & Aion DS. Plus Oracle, DB2, SQL Server and some ETL Tools.If you can program with VB, upgrade it to .NET.

Would be a plan when I go back to Uni next year :thumbsup:

dxx;5248863

My mother passed the ECDL thing. Recently, her PC failed. Wouldn't start … My mother passed the ECDL thing. Recently, her PC failed. Wouldn't start up at all. After several days of it not working, I fixed it by plugging it in. Recently too, she wanted MS Office installed, because apparently the ECDL doesn't teach you that if you double-click on files, they tend to open with whatever's already instaled, ie. Open Office. I left a note of the serial because I couldn't be bothered doing that part myself, which she read out to me, letter-by-letter, before me asking "Is that correct?". Me. Because I'm going to memorise a 20-digit code. Despite this sort of thing (and I had to bite my tongue there to not get another infraction for bad language), my mother thinks she's quite good with computers. I blame the ECDL for that entirely, and the deep psycologial scarring it has caused me means that if I was the guy reviewing your CV, I would be more likely to curl into a ball and rock back and forth weeping than hire you. Not that me teling you this helps at all, but I had to vent somewhere.

The European Computer DRIVING Licence, covers just that, DRIVING the computer. The end result is you have no idea how it works or how to do anything slightly different. They may have well have called it, "write, save & print using Microsoft Office", But that's not as catchy a name...

suchafunkymonkey;5248921

The European Computer DRIVING Licence, covers just that, DRIVING the … The European Computer DRIVING Licence, covers just that, DRIVING the computer. The end result is you have no idea how it works or how to do anything slightly different. They may have well have called it, "write, save & print using Microsoft Office", But that's not as catchy a name...

I know. But would it really have killed to put one extra chapter in the book, or even just one extra page, about common troubleshooting? Or maybe a preface. Something like "PAGE ONE: IN ORDER TO DO ANY OF THIS STUFF, YOU ACTUALLY HAVE TO HAVE THE MACHINE PLUGGED IN AND SWITCHED ON. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU HAVE THE SYSTEM PLUGGED IN AND SWITCHED ON AT THE SAME TIME. ALSO, TO MAKE THINGS DO THINGS, YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON THEM"? Even if only to save my sanity? I mean, it's gone now anyway so it doesn't matter, but still, for the next guy, maybe?

Have a check if your local college does an e-business course or similar, someone with your knowledge will probably be allowed to skip most of the studying and do the exams straight away with ease. They cover stuff like ECDL Intermediate and Clait/Clait Plus, Sage and what not. Most of it is pretty basic and it shouldn't cost very much if you do it through a college.

The courses usually last a year or more, but if you skip most of the basics you can probably get about 6 or 7 new qualifications in just a few month. Most of them are basic, but they all add up I guess.

brettytopbanana;5248616

What happens if someone else applies but they have a HND and an ECDL?? … What happens if someone else applies but they have a HND and an ECDL?? They would already be one up on me!

Hopefully anyone hiring will have a passing familiarity with the qualifications and will know that anyone who has an HND could easily pass EDCL (which is just basic office skills like how to add up a column on a spreadsheet).

There are the Open University short courses, but by now you've probably missed the registration dates for the May and June starts and the next one is generally october (the short courses are 8-12 weeks long).

If like me, you have to provide "tech support" to family for the most tedious of problems, go to ]logmein.com and register with them for free and then you can install remote control software on other machines to allow you to access them via a web browser.

It doesn't save you the tedious problems, but it saves you having to go to their house.

Original Poster

i already use logmein its a great piece of software!

Original Poster

so back to the qualifications what is this CLAIT like then?

Learn direct offer it? would i be better off doing that instead?

brettytopbanana;5249285

so back to the qualifications what is this CLAIT like then?Learn direct … so back to the qualifications what is this CLAIT like then?Learn direct offer it? would i be better off doing that instead?

Isn't CLAIT for beginners too?

Original Poster

i guess it is but there is a clait plus I just need to know whether any of these are worth doing!! lol

brettytopbanana;5249351

i guess it is but there is a clait plus I just need to know whether any … i guess it is but there is a clait plus I just need to know whether any of these are worth doing!! lol

learndirect.co.uk/qua…us/

From what I can see it's just going over the basics again...unless I'm missing something? :-D

brettytopbanana;5248163

i agree with most about not bothering but the reason i am thinking about … i agree with most about not bothering but the reason i am thinking about doing it is because a lot of the nhs jobs I am applying for ask for an ecdl qualification!! I want something i can do in my own time at home and relatively quickly with minimal expense as I am jobless! lol

But the NHS wont teach the ECDL.......they ask for it but wont teach it. I was given an E-record disc to learn. it's pants.

Seriously as others have said, don't bother. It's worthless.

It is also insanely expensive to do, compared to other low end qualifications.

brettytopbanana;5249351

i guess it is but there is a clait plus I just need to know whether any … i guess it is but there is a clait plus I just need to know whether any of these are worth doing!! lol

Good god, NO!!!! lol, this is just as bad. HND is post A-level (Level 4), ECDL/CLaIT is GCSE equivelant (Level 2) as is OCR - much easier, more useful and cheaper, and B-tec is Level 3.
At the end of the day, your HND far out-shines any of the other qualifications you have been asked to look at!

Will
Post a comment
@
    Text