Echo 2nd Gen stuck in blue light with cyan circle

Posted 6th Jul 2019
Having returned from holiday, I switched the power on, on my 2nd gen echo dot and it is stuck in a cycle of blue light with cyan circle. I've tried all the troubleshooting (reset using mic and vol down; action button isn't responsive; deregistered from within app) and spoken within Amazon who have pretty much said it's goosed. Anyone had this and found a solution?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You left Alexa alone while you gaily trotted off on hols ? I suppose you didn't even think of putting her in kennels or having an Alexa sitter ?- No sympathy I'm afraid - "an Alexa isn't just for Christmas "
Edited by: "rogparki" 6th Jul 2019
32 Comments
You left Alexa alone while you gaily trotted off on hols ? I suppose you didn't even think of putting her in kennels or having an Alexa sitter ?- No sympathy I'm afraid - "an Alexa isn't just for Christmas "
Edited by: "rogparki" 6th Jul 2019
deleted90213906/07/2019 22:20

You left Alexa alone while you gaily trotted off on hols ? I …You left Alexa alone while you gaily trotted off on hols ? I suppose you didn't even think of putting her in kennels or having an Alexa sitter ?- No sympathy I'm afraid - "an Alexa isn't just for Christmas "

Turns out an Alexa isn't built to last and Amazon don't seem to have any fixes except buy a new one...
No idea how these things become so popular, mine didn’t listen to a word I said. Recently sold mine. Feels real good getting my money back. I can’t fault the google tho they cool
amanda_mcd06/07/2019 22:32

Turns out an Alexa isn't built to last and Amazon don't seem to have any …Turns out an Alexa isn't built to last and Amazon don't seem to have any fixes except buy a new one...

Don't rush to replace ,they'll all be half price(or thereabouts) on Amazon Prime Day - July 15 . Maybe all the devices are set to self destruct before July 15 so we will all have to buy new ones ?

Are you sure its not stuck on an update ? One of mine went all orange and blue for a few hours last week (though still seemed to work) Was Ok the next morning and has been fine since .
Hkd_fan06/07/2019 22:36

No idea how these things become so popular, mine didn’t listen to a word I …No idea how these things become so popular, mine didn’t listen to a word I said. Recently sold mine. Feels real good getting my money back. I can’t fault the google tho they cool

Have no idea why "alexa " couldn't understand you
Are you using the original power cable?
miikeyblue06/07/2019 22:49

Are you using the original power cable?

Yes I am. All I did was switch off at the socket before I went on holiday...
deleted90213906/07/2019 22:40

Don't rush to replace ,they'll all be half price(or thereabouts) on Amazon …Don't rush to replace ,they'll all be half price(or thereabouts) on Amazon Prime Day - July 15 . Maybe all the devices are set to self destruct before July 15 so we will all have to buy new ones ?Are you sure its not stuck on an update ? One of mine went all orange and blue for a few hours last week (though still seemed to work) Was Ok the next morning and has been fine since .

I've had it on for hours to see and it just continues with the blue light and swirling cyan ring...
Is there a pin sized hole underneath with a reset button hidden inside on this one?

If so get a pin or paperclip or something and press it for a good 30 seconds before releasing it.
miikeyblue07/07/2019 00:52

Is there a pin sized hole underneath with a reset button hidden inside on …Is there a pin sized hole underneath with a reset button hidden inside on this one?If so get a pin or paperclip or something and press it for a good 30 seconds before releasing it.

Ah, that only applies to 1st gen apparently.

Have you tried leaving it unplugged again for a bit?
Try unplugging your router for 2 minutes, it could be an IP address problem
esar07/07/2019 06:23

Try unplugging your router for 2 minutes, it could be an IP address problem

I tried that yesterday but no harm in trying it again today
miikeyblue07/07/2019 00:54

Ah, that only applies to 1st gen apparently.Have you tried leaving it …Ah, that only applies to 1st gen apparently.Have you tried leaving it unplugged again for a bit?

I've unplugged it overnight so will try again today to save it
Retried all again this morning and still no joy... 😣
Try plugging it directly into the wall outlet not any extension lead, try a different plug socket in another part of the house.
If you can borrow another power supply to test whether it works with that or not.
Have you done the steps in this video (including turning the volume right down first)
regretful107/07/2019 13:21

Try plugging it directly into the wall outlet not any extension lead, try …Try plugging it directly into the wall outlet not any extension lead, try a different plug socket in another part of the house.If you can borrow another power supply to test whether it works with that or not.

Tried all of this too. Looking like a lost cause 😣
esar07/07/2019 13:29

Have you done the steps in this video (including turning the volume right …Have you done the steps in this video (including turning the volume right down first)[Video]

Unfortunately I can't get past the blue spinning ring to be able to check the volume is fully down. Appreciate this video.
Appreciate all the suggestions and happy to receive any more too
amanda_mcd07/07/2019 14:06

Unfortunately I can't get past the blue spinning ring to be able to check …Unfortunately I can't get past the blue spinning ring to be able to check the volume is fully down. Appreciate this video.

Tap it a few times anyway, then do the reset, you never know!
Is your Bluetooth turned on on phone?
Long shot here but have you got any outstanding notifications? You could try to ask Alexa "read my messages" Sometimes mine swirls when I have a message etc.
A guy on YouTube said he uninstalled the app and reinstalled, then it worked, nothing too lose!
esar07/07/2019 14:22

A guy on YouTube said he uninstalled the app and reinstalled, then it …A guy on YouTube said he uninstalled the app and reinstalled, then it worked, nothing too lose!

Gave that a go no joy I'm afraid. Pleased to have all these suggestions to try
Have you tried connecting it to a different Wi-Fi router (ie at family member's house) to see what happens?
Haircut_10009/07/2019 06:43

Have you tried connecting it to a different Wi-Fi router (ie at family …Have you tried connecting it to a different Wi-Fi router (ie at family member's house) to see what happens?

No I've not tried that. The issue is it won't get past trying to start up to even get to the WiFi part. This appears to be swirling ring of death. Will see if I can try this though. Worth a go
Just a long shot but are you using the original power supply/cable? If not, use the ones it came with.

Also, to reset the 2nd gen, press and hold the Microphone off and Volume down buttons at the same time until the light ring turns orange (about 20 seconds). Then the light ring should turn blue again.
Could it be a button issue i.e. either not connecting or stuck on?
Definitely the correct power cable. Also tried my second one's power cable.
All buttons appear to be moving freely.
It's frustrating as it was absolutely fine before I switched the plug off for going on holiday... I wonder if there's been a surge when I've turned it back on
There is an Amazon Echo - UK Alexa Help & Support Group on Facebook that you can join and ask for help - here
Is the other one in warranty, if you get my drift
esar09/07/2019 13:17

Is the other one in warranty, if you get my drift

Afraid the other one is a first gen. It's still going strong. Don't think I'd have been annoyed if that one had given up but this 2nd gen is only 14 months old...
Did you get this sorted in the end?....mine too have the "Blue ring of death"
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants