Echo Dot in car, how much data are you using?

Found 17th Dec 2017
Hey, I bought my kids 2 big echo's for xmas and getting the family plan for amazon music.
As the dots are only 35.00 right now thought I would treat myself to a xmas present. How much data / hotspot data do you use ?

I know everyone is different, but all my songs will be on the Amazon library so I can play them offline, but assume I would still need data to ask alexa to play songs.

I travel 1hr to work and 1hr back and have a 12gb plan.

I will ask the odd questions about weather, or why are drivers such tw$ts lol

Just looking for a guide.
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
I use 30gbs per minute.
Original Poster
Sorry I dont know how much that is.

I know a song is about 4kb, so how does that translate into say data usage per week or month?

Sorry never used one of these before so dont know what to expect as never kept a eye on my data
Thanks again
I use Siri a lot in my car on my Iphone and it doesn't use to much data so I should think you should be OK with the data usage.
Maybe worth looking on motorhome forums,
This maybe useful,
Original Poster
I cant imgine I will use 12gb a month, but hey you never know as Alexa is always on and active.
In a week 5 x 2 hours you could reach 1GB if the bitrate is about 256
Not sure why you think it won't use data, where do you think it's streaming your amazon library from (hint, the Internet).
dcx_badass6 m ago

Not sure why you think it won't use data, where do you think it's …Not sure why you think it won't use data, where do you think it's streaming your amazon library from (hint, the Internet).

You can download you Amazon Library local to your phone. I guess they assumed the echo would stream it from there.
Oneday772 m ago

You can download you Amazon Library local to your phone. I guess they …You can download you Amazon Library local to your phone. I guess they assumed the echo would stream it from there.

Only if you use it as a 'dumb' bluetooth speaker, which I'm not sure if you can use alexa commands with. If you get alexa to play the music then it'll stream it directly from amazon.
dcx_badass3 m ago

Only if you use it as a 'dumb' bluetooth speaker, which I'm not sure if …Only if you use it as a 'dumb' bluetooth speaker, which I'm not sure if you can use alexa commands with. If you get alexa to play the music then it'll stream it directly from amazon.

There is the slimmest of chances it checks the local network device first. Though that would have taken initiative and thought.
canada163 h, 22 m ago

I know a song is about 4kb

Great ‘I know’

Closer to 4mb
Original Poster
Does anyone know how much data the Dot uses every week or month?

Playing music on the way to work, the average questions ect.?

Do I need to upgrade my 12gb plan ?
Thanks
Original Poster
shadey1217th Dec

Maybe worth looking on motorhome forums,This maybe useful,[Video]

On the video, it doesnt say actually how much data t uses for playing music and questions.

Cant seem to find a answer, Maybe I will give it a full blast for a week and see how much data it uses.
Its on back order until jan, so will have to wait, but assume I can use my galaxy S6+ as a hotspot and dont need to buy a wifi dongle.
canada1611 m ago

On the video, it doesnt say actually how much data t uses for playing …On the video, it doesnt say actually how much data t uses for playing music and questions.Cant seem to find a answer, Maybe I will give it a full blast for a week and see how much data it uses. Its on back order until jan, so will have to wait, but assume I can use my galaxy S6+ as a hotspot and dont need to buy a wifi dongle.

I'd be tempted to go with your suggestion.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants