echo dot - need advice please :)

Found 31st Mar 2017
So I'm considering getting this for my other halves birthday (feel free to give me honest opinions if you hated it!) but also, looking at getting some products to go with it. Phillips hue light bulbs seem to be a popular choice. Any other ideas of compatible products? (And possibly cheaper than the light bulbs! -ouch!)

Thank you for any help!

Ps. Unidays access... any help given will be rewarded in kind with a code if you need it
Community Updates
32 Comments
Eve stuff is good for Philips hue and outdoor senses
puddles9999

Eve stuff is good for Philips hue and outdoor senses

Is that a website? Can't seem to find it! Thanks by the way!
Edited by: "Nat_urally" 31st Mar 2017
Had mine since launch & I'm now thinking of returning it. More or less the only thing I ask her is to 'play BBC radio 2 on tunein' but she only understands it 50% of the time. Today I tried it at least six times in a row & every time it said 'playing BBC radio 2 country. BBC radio 2 country is not currently available'. I didn't think it was possible for anyone to listen to me less than my wife does...
ask her to tell you a joke or quote of the day.
give you the headlines play some jazz.
they are a great bit of kit
g1bbuk

Had mine since launch & I'm now thinking of returning it. More or less … Had mine since launch & I'm now thinking of returning it. More or less the only thing I ask her is to 'play BBC radio 2 on tunein' but she only understands it 50% of the time. Today I tried it at least six times in a row & every time it said 'playing BBC radio 2 country. BBC radio 2 country is not currently available'. I didn't think it was possible for anyone to listen to me less than my wife does...

Haha brilliant! Yeah and admittedly we are Scottish... though not strong accents but still it might have trouble catching his various wee inflections on words. Worth thinking about... or at least checking out the returns policy! To be honest he's a big kid, he'll probably be happy just asking it to dim the lights occasionally and having a wee chuckle to himself at his technical ability!
I love Alexa. Have it controlling lots of energenie sockets around the house. Works 98% of the time and 2% I've gotta get off my ass and do it myself lol
mattbee12

I love Alexa. Have it controlling lots of energenie sockets around the … I love Alexa. Have it controlling lots of energenie sockets around the house. Works 98% of the time and 2% I've gotta get off my ass and do it myself lol

Oh I saw those energenie ones online, much cheaper than others ive seen. Got a 3 pack for £27.99 waiting in basket unless I find a better deal! Good to know they're half decent! Thanks
Go on youtube and watch a few clips that way you can see it in action.
Just got one a couple of days ago. Have a harmony hub so can use it to control tv etc.

Have philips hue lights on order hopefully to arrive next week :-)
mike_6480

Just got one a couple of days ago. Have a harmony hub so can use it to … Just got one a couple of days ago. Have a harmony hub so can use it to control tv etc.Have philips hue lights on order hopefully to arrive next week :-)

Ooh... you're selling me on more gadgets I don't even know existed! To google!
I got 2 in November, I ended up giving one to my mum as I didn't really use both but I love it
Great if you are a prime member as you can use it to play all of amazon music (you can get 6 months free as a student if you haven't already)
I don't use all the other features but I would definitely miss it if I didn't have it now
BudgetAngel

I got 2 in November, I ended up giving one to my mum as I didn't really … I got 2 in November, I ended up giving one to my mum as I didn't really use both but I love itGreat if you are a prime member as you can use it to play all of amazon music (you can get 6 months free as a student if you haven't already) I don't use all the other features but I would definitely miss it if I didn't have it now

I do wish I was still a student sometimes but I have a lifetime .ac.uk email address courtesy of my former university! So i do already take advantage of the amazon music library - hadn't thought about using it with Alexa though! Thank you
Well worth it. It all depends how much you want to further spend and take full advantage of it .e.g. buy energenie MIHO027 on Amazon and get a hub, 3 sockets and a remote for £76.49 and you can control through dot via Alexa anything that you connect to each socket - a plugged in light or an electric blanket or a fan heater etc. These can also be switched on/off via a smartphone as well via the Alexa App. You could switch on a table lamp at night when you are away from home to give the impression you are at home etc. Also join Amazon Prime for £79 per year and enjoy Amazon Prime music through the dot. Say 'Alexa, play me .....' If you subscribe to Spotify, you can also play any music through this. The dot's speaker isn't that great, but you can connect it to your own Hi-Fi system via a jack plug or through any Bluetooth speakers.
Nat_urally

I do wish I was still a student sometimes but I have a lifetime .ac.uk … I do wish I was still a student sometimes but I have a lifetime .ac.uk email address courtesy of my former university! So i do already take advantage of the amazon music library - hadn't thought about using it with Alexa though! Thank you

​search on here more than 1 way to be a student for a freebie.
energenie

Well worth it. It all depends how much you want to further spend and … Well worth it. It all depends how much you want to further spend and take full advantage of it .e.g. buy energenie MIHO027 on Amazon and get a hub, 3 sockets and a remote for £76.49 and you can control through dot via Alexa anything that you connect to each socket - a plugged in light or an electric blanket or a fan heater etc. These can also be switched on/off via a smartphone as well via the Alexa App. You could switch on a table lamp at night when you are away from home to give the impression you are at home etc. Also join Amazon Prime for £79 per year and enjoy Amazon Prime music through the dot. Say 'Alexa, play me .....' If you subscribe to Spotify, you can also play any music through this. The dot's speaker isn't that great, but you can connect it to your own Hi-Fi system via a jack plug or through any Bluetooth speakers.

Are you an energenie sales guy?? (I ask only because of your name!)

Also... I've seen a hub mentioned a few times. Is that necessary for Alexa? My understanding was that Alexa will work with separate plugs/light bulbs without a hub. Is this correct?
Nat_urally

Are you an energenie sales guy?? (I ask only because of your name!) … Are you an energenie sales guy?? (I ask only because of your name!) Also... I've seen a hub mentioned a few times. Is that necessary for Alexa? My understanding was that Alexa will work with separate plugs/light bulbs without a hub. Is this correct?

You dont need a hub for the yeelight bulbs.
Do you already have a nice quality bluetooth speaker you can connect it to?

We have 3 dots.

I have my upstairs bedroom dot connected to a bluetooth speaker in the bathroom... music whilst I shower, shave. All I do is switch bathroom speaker on, it connects and plays.

Downstairs living room dot connects to soundbar.

This is what I use in the bathroom:

amazon.co.uk/gp/…80L
g1bbuk

Had mine since launch & I'm now thinking of returning it. More or less … Had mine since launch & I'm now thinking of returning it. More or less the only thing I ask her is to 'play BBC radio 2 on tunein' but she only understands it 50% of the time. Today I tried it at least six times in a row & every time it said 'playing BBC radio 2 country. BBC radio 2 country is not currently available'. I didn't think it was possible for anyone to listen to me less than my wife does...

Try the radio player skill instead, I had endless trouble with Tunein and Alexa not accepting it. Radio player has worked every time so far.
g1bbuk

It should play BBC Radio 2 without issue. I would suggest you look through the Alexa app so you can see the cards of What Alexa thought you said to see why it's only working sometimes? You can also say on the cards if it worked or not so Alexa can learn and get better with time.
hottoast

Do you already have a nice quality bluetooth speaker you can connect it … Do you already have a nice quality bluetooth speaker you can connect it to? We have 3 dots. I have my upstairs bedroom dot connected to a bluetooth speaker in the bathroom... music whilst I shower, shave. All I do is switch bathroom speaker on, it connects and plays. Downstairs living room dot connects to soundbar. This is what I use in the bathroom:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01HTH3C8S/ref=pd_aw_sbs_107_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=V9SV27ZMNGRSYVWAAVHJ&dpPl=1&dpID=61IzLuAz80L

I have plenty decent Bluetooth speakers actually so that'll be handy! Thanks feel like I'm gonna get one and end up wanting more!
g1bbuk

It should play BBC Radio 2 without issue. I would suggest you look through the Alexa app so you can see the cards of What Alexa thought you said to see why it's only working sometimes? You can also say on the cards if it worked or not so Alexa can learn and get better with time.
SusieM

You dont need a hub for the yeelight bulbs.

Ok thank you! I was getting slightly confused. All the "starter sets" come with a hub of some kind. Didn't think they were needed.
Also to OP I love mine, have 2 in fact one upstairs and one down. It can do so much, but I use it for.
1. Asking for news updates
2. Setting timers
3. Playing music (prime)
4. Playing radio
5. Spellings for the kids
6. Heating control via Nest
7. Light control via Philips Hue
8. Asking for the weather
9. London Underground tube updates
10. Amazon parcel tracking
Bluefusion

Also to OP I love mine, have 2 in fact one upstairs and one down. It can … Also to OP I love mine, have 2 in fact one upstairs and one down. It can do so much, but I use it for.1. Asking for news updates2. Setting timers3. Playing music (prime)4. Playing radio5. Spellings for the kids6. Heating control via Nest7. Light control via Philips Hue8. Asking for the weather9. London Underground tube updates10. Amazon parcel tracking

Ah handy list! Thank you very much. Seems like one of those things you get on a whim and then suddenly can't live without! Haha. Definitely sold on it
Nat_urally

Are you an energenie sales guy?? (I ask only because of your name!) … Are you an energenie sales guy?? (I ask only because of your name!) Also... I've seen a hub mentioned a few times. Is that necessary for Alexa? My understanding was that Alexa will work with separate plugs/light bulbs without a hub. Is this correct?

No, just chose this as a username. There are other adaptors that don't need a hub as for eg TP link do one. The advantage of having a hub is that you can add other controllers within the range of that provider. Energenie also do things like radiator thermostats, light switches and sockets. Hubs are not universal and cannot be used with other manufacturers controllers. Lightwave is also a good provider that has its own hub and lots of different adaptors including central heater controls.
energenie

No, just chose this as a username. There are other adaptors that don't … No, just chose this as a username. There are other adaptors that don't need a hub as for eg TP link do one. The advantage of having a hub is that you can add other controllers within the range of that provider. Energenie also do things like radiator thermostats, light switches and sockets. Hubs are not universal and cannot be used with other manufacturers controllers. Lightwave is also a good provider that has its own hub and lots of different adaptors including central heater controls.

Alexa connects to the hub via the internet and your router
g1bbuk

You're over complicating it, "play radio 2" works fine here
Bluefusion

Also to OP I love mine, have 2 in fact one upstairs and one down. It can … Also to OP I love mine, have 2 in fact one upstairs and one down. It can do so much, but I use it for.1. Asking for news updates2. Setting timers3. Playing music (prime)4. Playing radio5. Spellings for the kids6. Heating control via Nest7. Light control via Philips Hue8. Asking for the weather9. London Underground tube updates10. Amazon parcel tracking

How do you phrase the amazon parcel tracking?
nbgrobbo

You're over complicating it, "play radio 2" works fine here

Yeah i do that for 6music and it works 90% of the time.

I cannot however get "xcess manchester" I got it once but never again via the radioplayer skill.

I got 2 at Christmas & I've just kept building from there, lots of stuff is directly compatible with Alexa, but another option if you want to connect other stuff that isn't directly compatible is to buy an Alexa compatible hub, I personally have the Samsung Smartthings hub that i got from Curry's for £139.99 (back at this price at present) & connect loads of stuff to that & route all my Alexa commands through the Smartthings integration.
trott3r1st Apr

How do you phrase the amazon parcel tracking?

I'm sure you've found this out by now as this is an older thread I'm looking thru but 'Alexa, where's my stuff' is the phrase to use
I was talking about the radio
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants