Economical cars help

Posted 8th Jan
I’ve been accepted for an apprenticeship
However it will be commute of 66 miles a day 5 days a week.
My pay won’t be amazing for a good year or so, so I’m looking at getting trading up my 2005 Mazda 2
I’m looking for a petrol 5 door with decent size boot, so that rules out C1, Aygo and 107
My dream would be Jeep Renagde however good MPG seems to be on diseases only and I’ve read reliability isn’t it strongest point.
Most roads are 50-60mph
Any help would be much appreciated
Looking at spending no more than 7K ish
Community Updates
Ask
45 Comments
Ok, so you have c15000 miles a year to commute, you don't have a great deal of cash and you want a decent boot size. Bearing in mind your employer will want you at work every day, not broken down, reliability will be an important factor too. In this instance I would think seriously about leasing?PCPing a new car. Less likely to go wrong, under warranty if it does. Presumably running costs are going to be important as you are going to burn a lot of fuel, so a diesel should be considered for economy. For a decent boot size I'd have a look for some Vauxhall Astra or Renault Megane deals. Mate of mine recently bought a new Astra Griffin for a lot less than the screen price.
congrats on the placement! Not much to advise.. all I know is that the Prius models are very reliable and incredibly economical too.
One vote for diesel from me given the circumstances. Sorry Greta.
MadeDixonsCry08/01/2020 23:51

One vote for diesel from me given the circumstances. Sorry Greta.

As above at 50/60mph you will get very good mpg on a diesel.
Get one of VAG cars with a 1.2tdi engine.
If you want something bit more flash get an audi A5 2.0 TDI , very economical for a sporty looking coupe.
I take it you are still young so insurance is a big factor too?
I would like a diesel however somebody in my family is dead against it and considering they would be helping me I have to stick to petrol
I can’t lease unfortunately due to personal circumstances
And insurance won’t be an issue as such I have 9 years no claims
samwants2save08/01/2020 23:44

congrats on the placement! Not much to advise.. all I know is that the …congrats on the placement! Not much to advise.. all I know is that the Prius models are very reliable and incredibly economical too.

Just looked online cheapest Prius near me is over 13k
OP. nissan leaf 1st gen with a 24kwh batter / 30 if poss. ..mid range model 2015 onwards (last of old shape).

this ensures that over the range quoted you can use "halfish" of the range driving conditions dependent) & top it up cheaply, hopefully at work whilst parked for free or at works industrial rates (way cheaper than what you pay for home use).

Pre-heat whilst plugged in, warm car, no defrosting, saves time both ends of the day, max regen turned on will give you close to 20% battery back over a commute once you adjust & learn to use motor to brake & put energy back into the battery.

Fast off the lights, as needed for city commute, no hassles being stuck in traffic! ..a pleasure to drive, no road tax currently either.

Will save you much money on your commute, get your firm to plug you in at work / upgrade on the govt scheme for a subsidised charger, (which you could also get for at home if you have a driveway).

2p - 4p a mile ..big difference ..the prius is no good over 30mph as thats when the petrol cuts in & you are dragging both engine & battery. ..hybrid is battery EV's, what fizzy lager is to decent beer.
Failing that, get a small, light kerb weight smart car (non MHD) with low mileage from the BCA car auctions for a couple of grand & use that, ..if a 700cc or above a re-map to get some extra poke for crunch moments where they can lag at roundabouts etc (actually easier just to slip into manual approaching roundabouts from automatic mode).
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 9th Jan
Mr_Gus09/01/2020 08:08

OP. nissan leaf 1st gen with a 24kwh batter / 30 if poss.Will save you …OP. nissan leaf 1st gen with a 24kwh batter / 30 if poss.Will save you much money on your commute, get your firm to plug you in at work / upgrade on the govt scheme for a subsidised charger, (which you could also get for at home if you have a driveway).2p - 4p a mile ..big difference ..the prius is no good over 30mph as thats whn the petrol cuts in & you are dragging both engine & battery. ..hybrid is battery EV's, what fizzy lager is to decent beer. Failing that, get a small, light kerb weight smart car (non MHD) with low mileage from the BCA car auctions for a couple of grand & use that, ..if a 700cc or above a re-map to get some extra poke for crunch moments where they can lag at roundabouts etc (actually easier just to slip into manual approaching roundabouts from automatic mode).

I did consider electric vehicles but no charging stations in the public car park, work don’t have parking and I don’t have a driveway just been looking Citroen cactus cars online
Have you considered the latest Honda Jazz. 2016 1.3 petrol starting around 6.5k. Loads of space for the size of car and economical too. Annual road tax £30 too
ok, look at zap map!.
also look at the £7.99 (well thats what we pay) per month for the polar charge network, & look for a chademo post to top up.

Or look at something with a bit more flexibility with a larger battery.We often park at a nissan garage chademo & use their chademo & have a coffee & use there wifi.

Plan the route with an existing EV user for an overlay of a EV user & how they would do it, because petrol to EV requires a change of mindset that petrol heads aren't necessarily "eye's open too" ...if on an apprenticeship you need to buffer costs because the pay isn't good, petrol isn't cheap,neither i parking, so if you can rationally reduce your commuting costs by 50-80% compared to petrol then its a good start to "workaround".

PS it is accepted practise to use the garages chargers, nissan near me also owns renault, so if one charger is down we use the other as accepted practise.
seeonesukh09/01/2020 08:14

Have you considered the latest Honda Jazz. 2016 1.3 petrol starting around …Have you considered the latest Honda Jazz. 2016 1.3 petrol starting around 6.5k. Loads of space for the size of car and economical too. Annual road tax £30 too

Thanks I’ll have a look now
Mr_Gus09/01/2020 08:21

ok, look at zap map!.also look at the £7.99 (well thats what we pay) per …ok, look at zap map!.also look at the £7.99 (well thats what we pay) per month for the polar charge network, & look for a chademo post to top up.Or look at something with a bit more flexibility with a larger battery.We often park at a nissan garage chademo & use their chademo & have a coffee & use there wifi.Plan the route with an existing EV user for an overlay of a EV user & how they would do it, because petrol to EV requires a change of mindset that petrol heads aren't necessarily "eye's open too" ...if on an apprenticeship you need to buffer costs because the pay isn't good, petrol isn't cheap,neither i parking, so if you can rationally reduce your commuting costs by 50-80% compared to petrol then its a good start to "workaround".PS it is accepted practise to use the garages chargers, nissan near me also owns renault, so if one charger is down we use the other as accepted practise.

Morrisons is the only place near me to charge and that a mile away and from work 2.6 miles
Parking is free in the town so that’s a bonus
Morrisons chargers will most likely be a max of 7.5kWh capability, ok for whilst you are shopping to add a few % but not designed to fast charge. "currently" (thy are slowly looking to place PAYG fast chargers in their carparks but don't really understand the concept.
you might want to look at a lase of an ioniq BEV / golf BEV (BATTERY electric vehicle).
The only "hybrid" i'd consider is an i3 with range extender which would give you best of both worlds. (it's a charge maintainer).

However a small smart car is the simple option as is an Aygo or similar, IF you wish to spend a smaller fortune on filthy petrol, ICE vehicle prices are dropping now due to market disruption by BEV's.
Mr_Gus09/01/2020 08:34

Morrisons chargers will most likely be a max of 7.5kWh capability, ok for …Morrisons chargers will most likely be a max of 7.5kWh capability, ok for whilst you are shopping to add a few % but not designed to fast charge. "currently" (thy are slowly looking to place PAYG fast chargers in their carparks but don't really understand the concept.you might want to look at a lase of an ioniq BEV / golf BEV (BATTERY electric vehicle).The only "hybrid" i'd consider is an i3 with range extender which would give you best of both worlds. (it's a charge maintainer).However a small smart car is the simple option as is an Aygo or similar, IF you wish to spend a smaller fortune on filthy petrol, ICE vehicle prices are dropping now due to market disruption by BEV's.

I’ve not got nothing against owning an electric car that would of been on my list but where I live and work there is no charging facilities available so it’s not an option at all and I don’t want to take the stress of driving miles the wrong way home to get it charged.
I can’t do any leasing that requires any form of credit checks at all
So looks like I’m down to either a cactus and now looking at a jazz
adamderak09/01/2020 00:43

As above at 50/60mph you will get very good mpg on a diesel.Get one of VAG …As above at 50/60mph you will get very good mpg on a diesel.Get one of VAG cars with a 1.2tdi engine.If you want something bit more flash get an audi A5 2.0 TDI , very economical for a sporty looking coupe.

I've got a 2011 1.2tdi seat Ibiza ecomotive estate and have to agree, £0 Tax 60-70 mpg on my A road commute to work everyday. payed £2925 for it on 62,000 miles. Cheap, reliable and parts readily available.
ndyanem09/01/2020 08:37

I’ve not got nothing against owning an electric car that would of been on m …I’ve not got nothing against owning an electric car that would of been on my list but where I live and work there is no charging facilities available so it’s not an option at all and I don’t want to take the stress of driving miles the wrong way home to get it charged. I can’t do any leasing that requires any form of credit checks at allSo looks like I’m down to either a cactus and now looking at a jazz

I live in the countryside, there is no infrastructure here, however I do have a driveway, it isn't the end of the world if you don't.
Mr_Gus09/01/2020 08:39

I live in the countryside, there is no infrastructure here, however I do …I live in the countryside, there is no infrastructure here, however I do have a driveway, it isn't the end of the world if you don't.

Until they have the infrastructure I’m ruling out electric cars
SJPERKZ09/01/2020 08:38

I've got a 2011 1.2tdi seat Ibiza ecomotive estate and have to agree, £0 …I've got a 2011 1.2tdi seat Ibiza ecomotive estate and have to agree, £0 Tax 60-70 mpg on my A road commute to work everyday. payed £2925 for it on 62,000 miles. Cheap, reliable and parts readily available.

Thank you I’ll have a look at the petrol versions
My 2010 1.3 toyota yaris auto does 63 mpg on a motorway run if I drive economically (that's measured, not from the computer).
Pandamansays09/01/2020 08:52

My 2010 1.3 toyota yaris auto does 63 mpg on a motorway run if I drive …My 2010 1.3 toyota yaris auto does 63 mpg on a motorway run if I drive economically (that's measured, not from the computer).

Brilliant thank you
ndyanem09/01/2020 08:47

Until they have the infrastructure I’m ruling out electric cars

Ha ha, oh man, you need to be less myopic, I used to live in a place where the only petrol pump closed at 5.30 (latest) on a saturday evening & didn't open till monday "after the sabbath".

ALSO early car users had to get petrol from the local chemist shop even more limiting.

So when you talk about "infrastructure" you are really not thinking about how it progressed from one tech to another, Then also there is your "personal perspective" of what you deem suitable infrastructure for "your" needs that YOU then deem capable of supporting "YOUR" needs rather than that of generally (a mother of a child who wasn't toilet trained, angrily & honestly believed it was the councils duty to have public loo's every 150 metres, everywhere "in case" her little unmentionable needed the toilet. ..that is the definition of myopic in terms of infrastructure in my experience to date.

(chances are even your local garage has been 24 hours for the past 10 or so years) ..before that we had to find em like that of the rare all night chemist)

NB this is why we have problems with idiots parking in charge only bays because either they..

A... have an electric car (so deem a right to park & NOT CHARGE) rather than observe etiquette of parking normally if not needing a charge. ..typically "proximity parking"
B... drive an ICE & will continue to park where & how they damn well please but get uppity when a group of narked off ev owners go to a petrol station & park at the pumps for 10 minutes to make a point.
C... "Jeremy clarkeson"

If you are "down sarf" polar network are catering to city folks needy whims by investing heavily around the m25 cluster new super chargers every few weeks. ..at cost to the rest of the country

I cannot wait for the government in london to adopt the policy of japan, no on-road parking no car / limited sizes only (like the kei car of which an early smart fits that designation) ..will make streets & travel easier (as it should be).
I said I was NOT AGAINST electric cars and they WOULD of been on the list but until we have enough charging facilities in places it is not beneficial and not worth considering.
Well, prices on resale of petrol vehicles are dropping now, factor that in long term to your purchase, ..new car not necessary if you truly are trying to save money, ..log into bca auctions & check out the trade in cheapies, even sold as seen typically have basic check sheets & advisories, ..save cash.
Mr_Gus09/01/2020 10:06

Well, prices on resale of petrol vehicles are dropping now, factor that in …Well, prices on resale of petrol vehicles are dropping now, factor that in long term to your purchase, ..new car not necessary if you truly are trying to save money, ..log into bca auctions & check out the trade in cheapies, even sold as seen typically have basic check sheets & advisories, ..save cash.

That’s why I said 7K and once my apprenticeship is done I’ll be on a normal wage again
what, we have to guess everything left out in the opening paragraph? ..that never happens on hukd, we are all very very psychic.
Yeah, but climate for business isn't good, hasn't been since 2008, so 12 months in business is an unknown qty you may wish to try & proof yourself against (for instance who picks up the pieces if the firm go's down / apprentice scheme is shelved) ..how long have you been there, employment rights etc.
Mr_Gus09/01/2020 10:18

what, we have to guess everything left out in the opening paragraph? …what, we have to guess everything left out in the opening paragraph? ..that never happens on hukd, we are all very very psychic.Yeah, but climate for business isn't good, hasn't been since 2008, so 12 months in business is an unknown qty you may wish to try & proof yourself against (for instance who picks up the pieces if the firm go's down / apprentice scheme is shelved) ..how long have you been there, employment rights etc.

I don’t think the company will go bust and the qualification will sort me out for along time in employment
Suzuki swift seems to give good real mpg
honestjohn.co.uk/rea…017
Edited by: "Cisco060606" 9th Jan
Cisco06060609/01/2020 12:03

Suzuki swift seems to give good real …Suzuki swift seems to give good real mpghttps://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/suzuki/swift-2017

Thank you, this website is brilliant
ndyanem09/01/2020 15:22

Thank you, this website is brilliant

It is and it's fairly accurate from my own experience. I think the Japanese manufacturers are more accurate with there figures.
.MUFC.09/01/2020 21:30

It is and it's fairly accurate from my own experience. I think the …It is and it's fairly accurate from my own experience. I think the Japanese manufacturers are more accurate with there figures.

Thank you. So far I’ve got the Citroen cactus at the top of the list but will continue to hunt
Mr_Gus09/01/2020 08:08

OP. nissan leaf 1st gen with a 24kwh batter / 30 if poss. ..mid range …OP. nissan leaf 1st gen with a 24kwh batter / 30 if poss. ..mid range model 2015 onwards (last of old shape).this ensures that over the range quoted you can use "halfish" of the range driving conditions dependent) & top it up cheaply, hopefully at work whilst parked for free or at works industrial rates (way cheaper than what you pay for home use).Pre-heat whilst plugged in, warm car, no defrosting, saves time both ends of the day, max regen turned on will give you close to 20% battery back over a commute once you adjust & learn to use motor to brake & put energy back into the battery. Fast off the lights, as needed for city commute, no hassles being stuck in traffic! ..a pleasure to drive, no road tax currently either.Will save you much money on your commute, get your firm to plug you in at work / upgrade on the govt scheme for a subsidised charger, (which you could also get for at home if you have a driveway).2p - 4p a mile ..big difference ..the prius is no good over 30mph as thats when the petrol cuts in & you are dragging both engine & battery. ..hybrid is battery EV's, what fizzy lager is to decent beer. Failing that, get a small, light kerb weight smart car (non MHD) with low mileage from the BCA car auctions for a couple of grand & use that, ..if a 700cc or above a re-map to get some extra poke for crunch moments where they can lag at roundabouts etc (actually easier just to slip into manual approaching roundabouts from automatic mode).

I bet he doesn't have a charging point like majority of people in UK. Until something is done about this major problem, electric vehicles won't be increases in sales very fast.
MynameisM09/01/2020 22:41

I bet he doesn't have a charging point like majority of people in UK. …I bet he doesn't have a charging point like majority of people in UK. Until something is done about this major problem, electric vehicles won't be increases in sales very fast.

Exactly we need more charging points including side streets. It fine in big cities they have more options but rural and small towns it’s very hit and miss
ndyanem09/01/2020 22:45

Exactly we need more charging points including side streets. It fine in …Exactly we need more charging points including side streets. It fine in big cities they have more options but rural and small towns it’s very hit and miss

Plus don't forget majority of people live in terrace houses so no on street charging few councils offer discounted options but it's still not really via and ready too replace the ice cars probably take another 10-15 years, anyways I really hate diesel cars, but if your family member hates them it's probably because of the smell plus the randomly causing starting issues . Would say with your route and driving if these issues shouldn't be a problem. Diesels are really bad for low mileage stop start users like me , seen some peeps saying go for a Honda jazz, I think that is one of the worse cars honda has made its not very reliable and not very efficient on fuel either even though on paper it doesn't look too bad in reality it performs quite poor. If you want go for Honda it's better to go for a civic. I personally wouldn't even spend that much around 3-4k on any decent Japanese car you like and get it converted too lpg if that is available reasonably cheap on your route and you can get similar or better mileage too diesels.
Lpg conversions court around ,£700-1000.
MynameisM09/01/2020 22:41

I bet he doesn't have a charging point like majority of people in UK. …I bet he doesn't have a charging point like majority of people in UK. Until something is done about this major problem, electric vehicles won't be increases in sales very fast.

Funny, if you look at metrics that will likely be somewhat mythical rather than fact, I'd chance.
Outside of squeezed space cities there are plenty of driveways.

The new flexible kerb chargers are interesting for slower parked on the road instead of driving on it vehicles.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 9th Jan
Mr_Gus09/01/2020 23:03

Funny, if you look at metrics that will likely be somewhat mythical rather …Funny, if you look at metrics that will likely be somewhat mythical rather than fact, I'd chance.Outside of squeezed space cities there are plenty of driveways.The new flexible kerb chargers are interesting for slower parked on the road instead of driving on it vehicles.

I doubt it will be mythical , majority of houses in most towns and cities are terraced houses very few have off road parking, I don't think plugging in cars on a street with terraced houses is a good idea not with drunks, dogs and the rest of stuff that goes on these days at night.
Edited by: "MynameisM" 9th Jan
Housing is not exclusive to cities.
They are built elsewhere too.
go look at kerb chargers (flexible construction)
Mr_Gus09/01/2020 23:15

Housing is not exclusive to cities.They are built elsewhere too.go look at …Housing is not exclusive to cities.They are built elsewhere too.go look at kerb chargers (flexible construction)

Yes there are other types of charging ports but if the council don’t want to install them then we’re stuck.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions