Expired

Economy 7/ Combi boiler heat settings?

Found 16th Sep 2013
Hi all. I have an Economy 7/ Combi boiler and I am having trouble getting the heating right (still). If I put the thermostat/ central heating up to 18-20 the radiators don't give out much heat unless I raise the heat setting on the boiler past 40. I'm worried about the bills as they have come right down since turning it off for summer and I don't want them flying back up.

Can anyone suggest the best settings to heat the house without whacking up the settings on the boiler and thermostat?

Cheers.
Community Updates
AskBoilerGasHeating
19 Comments
Have u bled the radiators??
Original Poster
I did at the end of last year. They heat up quickly but as I say, they don't give off great heat unless the heat setting on the boiler is up above 40.
Economy 7 and gas central heating don't usually go together:-) 40° is just above body temperature. I have my rooms thermostatically controlled at 18° but have my boiler tent set at 70° so it gets there fast and isn't on long. All mixer taps before anyone says it's too hot to wash with:-)
You have to raise the boiler temp, minimum 60c, ideally 70-75c. 40c is isnt going to scratch the surface.
Original Poster
pinkleponkle

You have to raise the boiler temp, minimum 60c, ideally 70-75c. 40c is … You have to raise the boiler temp, minimum 60c, ideally 70-75c. 40c is isnt going to scratch the surface.

If I do that though will the bills go up though or can I have the central heating on a lower setting via the thermostat? I don't want to put it up too much as I'm not sure if it's the boiler temp or the thermostat contributing to the bills the most. I don't have it on all day, it fires up twice per day.
They are linked, the room stat monitors the space temperature, while the boiler stat controls the water temp. If you have your boiler throttled to 40c you may as well turn your heating off, it's doing nothing to address the coldness in the house. If you drop the room stat any further than you already have it, you won't have the property warm enough to live in.
Original Poster
pinkleponkle

They are linked, the room stat monitors the space temperature, while the … They are linked, the room stat monitors the space temperature, while the boiler stat controls the water temp. If you have your boiler throttled to 40c you may as well turn your heating off, it's doing nothing to address the coldness in the house. If you drop the room stat any further than you already have it, you won't have the property warm enough to live in.

The water is fine in terms of temperature. I mean will I need to turn the thermostat up higher or can I keep it at 18 if the boiler is at 45-50 and still get good heat? I'm not trying to be a cheapskate but as I said I'm worried about turning the boiler temp up at the cost of my gas bills increasing if I only need 18-20 degrees heat in the house.
The water temperature is not fine, you need to set the boiler at 70c, then regulate the space temperature with the room stat. If you have the boiler at 45-50 you can put the room stat as high as you like, it won't heat the house to a comfortable temperature.
Original Poster
pinkleponkle

The water temperature is not fine, you need to set the boiler at 70c, … The water temperature is not fine, you need to set the boiler at 70c, then regulate the space temperature with the room stat. If you have the boiler at 45-50 you can put the room stat as high as you like, it won't heat the house to a comfortable temperature.

I don't understand? The water is hot enough and is set at about 45, the heat is set at 40. Do I need to set both of them to 70 each? I appreciate the advice but still, if I set the boiler temp at 70 then put the heating at 18 will that increase my gas usage based on the boiler temp alone?
Original Poster
pat915m

Economy 7 and gas central heating don't usually go together:-) 40° is … Economy 7 and gas central heating don't usually go together:-) 40° is just above body temperature. I have my rooms thermostatically controlled at 18° but have my boiler tent set at 70° so it gets there fast and isn't on long. All mixer taps before anyone says it's too hot to wash with:-)

Thanks, do you find your gas bills are fair with that kind of set up? I want the heating on but the problem is my mrs will switch it on for hours on end when she's a bit cold and she's a bit wasteful, leaves doors open etc...
You can have your hot water on whatever you are comfortable coming out of your tap so if you are happy with 45c out your bath/kitchen sink then fine. However you need to punch the heating side up, if you are twitchy about costs then do it 5c at a time until you get the results you are looking for.

We are going round in circles, i'll make this my last comment. Experiment.
Set the boiler on max and set the thermostat between 18-22oc whichever you find comfortable, Also if you have individual radiator stats you can adjust them to help save energy bills. Setting boiler to 40 will simply warm radiators up to warm and take much much longer to heat up. You'll probably use more energy having boiler on 40 when it takes hours to heat up than having it on full for a shorter period, The radiators will retain some heat too etc.. So you wouldn't need it on as much.

Use timer too, Say 30 mins before you get up, 30 mins before you get in from work and 30 min before bed etc..
Original Poster
pinkleponkle

You can have your hot water on whatever you are comfortable coming out of … You can have your hot water on whatever you are comfortable coming out of your tap so if you are happy with 45c out your bath/kitchen sink then fine. However you need to punch the heating side up, if you are twitchy about costs then do it 5c at a time until you get the results you are looking for.We are going round in circles, i'll make this my last comment. Experiment.

Thank you for your help and sorry if I frustrated you but I'm a bit clueless with things like this.
Original Poster
shauneco

Set the boiler on max and set the thermostat between 18-22oc whichever … Set the boiler on max and set the thermostat between 18-22oc whichever you find comfortable, Also if you have individual radiator stats you can adjust them to help save energy bills. Setting boiler to 40 will simply warm radiators up to warm and take much much longer to heat up. You'll probably use more energy having boiler on 40 when it takes hours to heat up than having it on full for a shorter period, The radiators will retain some heat too etc.. So you wouldn't need it on as much. Use timer too, Say 30 mins before you get up, 30 mins before you get in from work and 30 min before bed etc..

Thanks, the thermostat is for all rads and I put the timer on for 30 mins before getting up and a few evening hours. My last house was just a regular set up hence why this one has confused me a bit. I'll raise the boiler temp a bit at a time as previously suggested but was mainly concerned I'd c0ck the settings up and incurr a £100 bill or something.
Steve Mac

Thanks, the thermostat is for all rads and I put the timer on for 30 mins … Thanks, the thermostat is for all rads and I put the timer on for 30 mins before getting up and a few evening hours. My last house was just a regular set up hence why this one has confused me a bit. I'll raise the boiler temp a bit at a time as previously suggested but was mainly concerned I'd c0ck the settings up and incurr a £100 bill or something.

Energy prices are constantly rising, Have you compared energy suppliers etc.?
Original Poster
shauneco

Energy prices are constantly rising, Have you compared energy suppliers … Energy prices are constantly rising, Have you compared energy suppliers etc.?

Yeah but only what I'm paying and not what I'm actually using. I've never had a problem with British Gas to be fair but I just want to save where possible.
Think of the principle of boiling a kettle of water
3kw= high energy use, but not for long
1kw= low enegy use, but on for longer

So, like shauneco said wack the boiler temp up thermostat to 18-20 whatever, but you really need to have thermostats on each rad so you have full control of each room temp.

Setting have you have it is not only using gas and you not really benefiting, you are using more electricity as the boiler is on for a lot longer (pump etc)

Steve Mac

Thanks, do you find your gas bills are fair with that kind of set up? I … Thanks, do you find your gas bills are fair with that kind of set up? I want the heating on but the problem is my mrs will switch it on for hours on end when she's a bit cold and she's a bit wasteful, leaves doors open etc...

My setup is completely different for comparison purposes. I have two air-air heat pumps, a plumbed in wood burner and solar panels, electric and got water. Haven't got my central heating on yet just using a heat pump until it's sub zero outside then I put the gas central heating on low and fire up the sub zero heat pump. It's complicated ;-)
Original Poster
pat915m

My setup is completely different for comparison purposes. I have two … My setup is completely different for comparison purposes. I have two air-air heat pumps, a plumbed in wood burner and solar panels, electric and got water. Haven't got my central heating on yet just using a heat pump until it's sub zero outside then I put the gas central heating on low and fire up the sub zero heat pump. It's complicated ;-)

I would like to try the solar panel route but I'm in a rented house and it's not allowed

The idea of green electricity interests me as does riding an exercise bike to generate it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants