Economy 7 Cylinder

Found 27th Feb
Evening!
Can anyone tell me if this is an E7 hot water cylinder?

2901314-s3AVh.jpg
2901314-e9b3N.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Do you mean can you use it with an economy 7 tariff? It the emersion heater (that big black thing at the top of the cylinder) works and you have an economy 7 Electricity meter then yes.
A cylinder to be used with Economy 7 normally has at least two immersion heaters at different heights. The top one (near to the water outlet is normally used when normal priced electricity is available and the lower one(s) used when the cheaper electricity is available to heat up a larger volume of water.

That does not look like an Economy 7 cylinder to me - in the lower picture the two nozzles look like for a tank coil?? For immersion heater they would have 2.5" diameter female screwed (BSP) sockets.
Edited by: "Van1973" 27th Feb
Van19737 m ago

A cylinder to be used with Economy 7 normally has at least two immersion …A cylinder to be used with Economy 7 normally has at least two immersion heaters at different heights. The top one (near to the water outlet is normally used when normal priced electricity is available and the lower one(s) used when the cheaper electricity is available to heat up a larger volume of water.That does not look like an Economy 7 cylinder to me - in the lower picture the two nozzles look like for a tank coil?? For immersion heater they would have 2.5" diameter female screwed (BSP) sockets.

Can't u just set it at them times with the programmer anyway or a plug timer if it's a gas and electric one. I think gas still works out cheaper than economy 7 doesn't it.
Original Poster
Van197313 m ago

A cylinder to be used with Economy 7 normally has at least two immersion …A cylinder to be used with Economy 7 normally has at least two immersion heaters at different heights. The top one (near to the water outlet is normally used when normal priced electricity is available and the lower one(s) used when the cheaper electricity is available to heat up a larger volume of water.That does not look like an Economy 7 cylinder to me - in the lower picture the two nozzles look like for a tank coil?? For immersion heater they would have 2.5" diameter female screwed (BSP) sockets.

Thank you so much.
I thought this was the case.
We have a E7 meter with storage heaters. House is solely electric- (Absolute nightmare and expensive)
Currently trying to persuade our landlord who is the local housing association that central heating system would be much more beneficial. (We have a gas pipe here already)
I will bring this up with them, and add it to my case to change heating systems.
Original Poster
MynameisM8 m ago

Can't u just set it at them times with the programmer anyway or a plug …Can't u just set it at them times with the programmer anyway or a plug timer if it's a gas and electric one. I think gas still works out cheaper than economy 7 doesn't it.

We have a basic timer on the tank but the house is fully electric and it's bloody expensive!
Edited by: "jsophiex" 27th Feb
jsophiex51 m ago

Thank you so much. I thought this was the case.We have a E7 meter with …Thank you so much. I thought this was the case.We have a E7 meter with storage heaters. House is solely electric- (Absolute nightmare and expensive) Currently trying to persuade our landlord who is the local housing association that central heating system would be much more beneficial. (We have a gas pipe here already)I will bring this up with them, and add it to my case to change heating systems.

We also have storage heaters and have the option to have gas but do not want another bill, so instead of using are storage heaters we just use a couple of 2kw heaters from home and bargains as there only £12 each. Then we just turn them on for an hour or 2 when needed plus electric blanket on our bed and we are as snug as bugs in rugs. The problem with economy 7 is that you may only pay about 8p per kw between 1am and 7am but the rest of the day you can be paying around 22p per kw so it is a bit of a con, especially in summer when you can not take advantage of the off peak times so you are then worse of being on economy 7. We got are supplier (Scottish power) to take us off economy 7 so that we just pay a standard charge of 14p per kw no matter what time of day it is. Then a few months later switched to ovo energy at 13.5p per kw, so for a 3 bed house and a family of 4 we are now paying around £90 in winter and less than £50 in summer for electricity. Ovo charge you monthly and as it is through a smart metre you are billed correctly so no estimated bills etc. Also keep in mind that if you get a gas meter then depending on tariff you could also be spending a couple of pounds each week on the standard charge even if you don't use any gas in the summer months. Plus I like the idea of not having gas in my home.

Just to give you an idea of how much your hot water tank and heaters will cost to run assuming you switch to a standard tariff not 14p per kw

An emersion heater is usually 3kw, so we put are timer for 1 hour each day, so that is 3 X 14p equals 42pence per day for hot water

Then the heaters we set to there 1kw setting and have 2 on in different parts of the house for around 3 to 4 hours per day. So 2kw for say roughly 4 hours is £1.12 per day on the heaters.

The electric blanket at around 90 Watts and having it on for several hours would cost you about 8p per night max.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 27th Feb
I've just had gas central heating installed in place of storage heaters. It's so much better. 100% worth changing if you can.
Original Poster
SOUTHWALES18 m ago

We also have storage heaters and have the option to have gas but do not …We also have storage heaters and have the option to have gas but do not want another bill, so instead of using are storage heaters we just use a couple of 2kw heaters from home and bargains as there only £12 each. Then we just turn them on for an hour or 2 when needed plus electric blanket on our bed and we are as snug as bugs in rugs. The problem with economy 7 is that you may only pay about 8p per kw between 1am and 7am but the rest of the day you can be paying around 22p per kw so it is a bit of a con, especially in summer when you can not take advantage of the off peak times so you are then worse of being on economy 7. We got are supplier (Scottish power) to take us off economy 7 so that we just pay a standard charge of 14p per kw no matter what time of day it is. Then a few months later switched to ovo energy at 13.5p per kw, so for a 3 bed house and a family of 4 we are now paying around £90 in winter and less than £50 in summer for electricity. Ovo charge you monthly and as it is through a smart metre you are billed correctly so no estimated bills etc. Also keep in mind that if you get a gas meter then depending on tariff you could also be spending a couple of pounds each week on the standard charge even if you don't use any gas in the summer months. Plus I like the idea of not having gas in my home.Just to give you an idea of how much your hot water tank and heaters will cost to run assuming you switch to a standard tariff not 14p per kwAn emersion heater is usually 3kw, so we put are timer for 1 hour each day, so that is 3 X 14p equals 42pence per day for hot waterThen the heaters we set to there 1kw setting and have 2 on in different parts of the house for around 3 to 4 hours per day. So 2kw for say roughly 4 hours is £1.12 per day on the heaters.

We haven't used the storage heaters this year, and have given the portable heaters a try. I've found the portable heaters much the same price wise but far better heating than the storage heaters. We pay around £150-200 per month during winter for a family of 4, 2 bed property.
The KW during the day and on a non E7 meter is roughly the same give or take 2p-3p. I'm looking at all avenues regarding the heating system, so I'll see what the landlords say. I have an appointment next week with them.
Original Poster
.MUFC.9 m ago

I've just had gas central heating installed in place of storage heaters. …I've just had gas central heating installed in place of storage heaters. It's so much better. 100% worth changing if you can.

I bet it's much better! I hope they'll agree to it, would benefit them when the time comes to re-let.
Was it a lengthy job?
jsophiex11 m ago

I bet it's much better! I hope they'll agree to it, would benefit them …I bet it's much better! I hope they'll agree to it, would benefit them when the time comes to re-let. Was it a lengthy job?

They did it in four stages, First day ripped storage heaters out, second day fitted boiler and radiators, third day fitted thermostat forth patched all the holes up. Much better than expected. Some private owners had it all done in one day!. The government will most likely give them a grant, I know the private owners haven't had to pay a penny for there heating systems. I guess they may at some stage update your area too. It is definitely worth it.
jsophiex10 h, 52 m ago

We haven't used the storage heaters this year, and have given the portable …We haven't used the storage heaters this year, and have given the portable heaters a try. I've found the portable heaters much the same price wise but far better heating than the storage heaters. We pay around £150-200 per month during winter for a family of 4, 2 bed property. The KW during the day and on a non E7 meter is roughly the same give or take 2p-3p. I'm looking at all avenues regarding the heating system, so I'll see what the landlords say. I have an appointment next week with them.

Maybe it depends on your area but for me it is over 8 pence per kw difference, and it makes quite a bit of difference to your bills, let's say for example of an evening when everyone is at home you are using around 3kw per hour then at 22p per kw you are being charged 66p per hour, if you switch to a 13.5p per kw standard tariff then that drops to less than 41p per hour.

If you do decide to go for gas central heating then at least then ask to be taken of economy 7, what some people also don't realise is that some economy 7 electric meters have 2 power outputs, so only the heaters and tank are wired up to the off peak output, your lights and plug sockets etc stay on the higher tariff 24 hours per day, as said though this depends on meter and supplier. That is why when we came of economy 7 they also had to change the meter and the wiring outputs had to then be phased together on the output side of the replacement meter as it no longer needed to be separated for the economy 7 heaters and emersion tank. As I say economy 7 is a bit of a con as any money you think you are saving during the night they claw back with the higher daily charge plus all summer you will be paying much more per kw than if you went on a standard tariff.
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 28th Feb
one of the many reasons I like HUKD, the wonderful people with their personal advices. beats google for the nitty gritty answers all the time.

Original Poster
EN1GMA8 h, 36 m ago

one of the many reasons I like HUKD, the wonderful people with their …one of the many reasons I like HUKD, the wonderful people with their personal advices. beats google for the nitty gritty answers all the time.

Couldn't agree more!!
SOUTHWALES18 h, 55 m ago

what some people also don't realise is that some economy 7 electric meters …what some people also don't realise is that some economy 7 electric meters have 2 power outputs, so only the heaters and tank are wired up to the off peak output, your lights and plug sockets etc stay on the higher tariff 24 hours per day, as said though this depends on meter and supplier.

I thought the 2 power outputs were that the heaters are wired up to economy 7 for cheap off-peak usage and the rest of the home is on the normal cheaper peak tariff.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 28th Feb
OllieSt1 h, 20 m ago

I thought the 2 power outputs were that the heaters are wired up to …I thought the 2 power outputs were that the heaters are wired up to economy 7 for cheap off-peak usage and the rest of the home is on the normal cheaper peak tariff.

Normal cheaper peak tariff?? The peak tariff in economy 7 is normally around 22p kw and about 8p off peak, a standard tariff is around 14p per kw. That's is why as I say with economy 7 they are giving you a low rate off peak but doing there best to claw back the money during the day by charging around 22p per kw. Economy 7 is only good for the energy companies that have surplus energy during the night. It is not really to save the public any money on there annual energy bill, just look at the OP who is spending around £200 a month on electricity. why I am on a standard tariff of 13.5p per kw, 3 bed home family of 4 and paying less than £100. I know many people that have also had gas central heating installed but still stay on economy 7, as they think economy 7 must be the cheapest tariff simply because if what it is called, economy 7 sounds cheap so most people think it must be, but it is even worse when you are now using 90% of your electric during the day at the higher peak rate, your supplier is not going to tell you that you now need to change to a standard tariff as they are getting more per kw.
SOUTHWALES12 m ago

Normal cheaper peak tariff?? The peak tariff in economy 7 is normally …Normal cheaper peak tariff?? The peak tariff in economy 7 is normally around 22p kw and about 8p off peak, a standard tariff is around 14p per kw. That's is why as I say with economy 7 they are giving you a low rate off peak but doing there best to claw back the money during the day by charging around 22p per kw. Economy 7 is only good for the energy companies that have surplus energy during the night. It is not really to save the public any money on there annual energy bill, just look at the OP who is spending around £200 a month on electricity. why I am on a standard tariff of 13.5p per kw, 3 bed home family of 4 and paying less than £100. I know many people that have also had gas central heating installed but still stay on economy 7, as they think economy 7 must be the cheapest tariff simply because if what it is called, economy 7 sounds cheap so most people think it must be, but it is even worse when you are now using 90% of your electric during the day at the higher peak rate, your supplier is not going to tell you that you now need to change to a standard tariff as they are getting more per kw.

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly. I thought that Economy 7 was as you described, but some storage heaters have the facility to use them as a normal heater (boost), those heaters will then be consuming @ 22p kw. And the rest of the house, washing machine lights etc were on standard tariff. So washing machine @ 4am will be at 14p kw, storage heater @ 4am will be at 8p kw, washing machine @ 4pm will still be 14p kw, but boost for storage heaters would be 22p kw. Hence the need for the 2 outputs
OllieSt1 h, 10 m ago

Sorry I didn't explain myself properly. I thought that Economy 7 was as …Sorry I didn't explain myself properly. I thought that Economy 7 was as you described, but some storage heaters have the facility to use them as a normal heater (boost), those heaters will then be consuming @ 22p kw. And the rest of the house, washing machine lights etc were on standard tariff. So washing machine @ 4am will be at 14p kw, storage heater @ 4am will be at 8p kw, washing machine @ 4pm will still be 14p kw, but boost for storage heaters would be 22p kw. Hence the need for the 2 outputs

Hi, You could be correct but the only economy 7 I have come across and used has only ever had 2 rates, peak and off peak, never known one to also have a standard rate also, but as I say you could well be correct.
Original Poster
SOUTHWALES8 m ago

Hi, You could be correct but the only economy 7 I have come across and …Hi, You could be correct but the only economy 7 I have come across and used has only ever had 2 rates, peak and off peak, never known one to also have a standard rate also, but as I say you could well be correct.

E10? Much like E7. They have 3 rates. Usually 3 hours in the day and evening and then 4 hours at night totalling 10 hours.

Can anyone come up with a cunning plan to convince the landlords to change from storage heaters!?
They might need some encouraging!
jsophiex6 m ago

E10? Much like E7. They have 3 rates. Usually 3 hours in the day and …E10? Much like E7. They have 3 rates. Usually 3 hours in the day and evening and then 4 hours at night totalling 10 hours. Can anyone come up with a cunning plan to convince the landlords to change from storage heaters!? They might need some encouraging!

Do you know how old the storage heaters are? Also is the double glazing in the property?
jsophiex10 m ago

E10? Much like E7. They have 3 rates. Usually 3 hours in the day and …E10? Much like E7. They have 3 rates. Usually 3 hours in the day and evening and then 4 hours at night totalling 10 hours. Can anyone come up with a cunning plan to convince the landlords to change from storage heaters!? They might need some encouraging!

I guess one problem could be that if your association landlord does it for one home\tenant then other tenants will want and be entitled to the same. They would need a good reason why only your home was eligible and not the others.
Original Poster
SOUTHWALES17 m ago

I guess one problem could be that if your association landlord does it for …I guess one problem could be that if your association landlord does it for one home\tenant then other tenants will want and be entitled to the same. They would need a good reason why only your home was eligible and not the others.

Fortunately we private rent via our Housing Association at markets rent prices. (£1,000 pm!) so we are in an area where other properties are privately owned or private renting. Won't have any other Housing Association tenants to worry about in that respect.
Edited by: "jsophiex" 28th Feb
Original Poster
OllieSt8 m ago

Do you know how old the storage heaters are? Also is the double glazing in …Do you know how old the storage heaters are? Also is the double glazing in the property?

I believe since 1993, and the front of the property has double PVC and the rear are original doubles which are metal and really draughty!
Another reason I did not want gas in my property as I expect the price to rise rapidly with demand over the next few years. google.co.uk/sea…800
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 1st Mar
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants