Eczema (dermatitis) natural remedies

Found 24th Apr 2016
Does anyone have any natural remedies for eczema my child has it on her joints of arm and legs and can be a nightmare . I also have dermatitis im trying to avoid steroids as i feel they do more harm then good , has anyone tried beeswax is that any good
Community Updates
Ask
42 Comments
I would try olive oil which you can buy in any good pharmacy. If you find it too harsh, try coconut oil....I used this on my daughter when she had various skin issues and allergies from a few weeks old to a year and half.
I would try olive oil which you can buy in any good pharmacy. If you find it too harsh, try coconut oil....I used this on my daughter when she had various skin issues and allergies from a few weeks old to a year and half.
ndam11

I would try olive oil which you can buy in any good pharmacy. If you find … I would try olive oil which you can buy in any good pharmacy. If you find it too harsh, try coconut oil....I used this on my daughter when she had various skin issues and allergies from a few weeks old to a year and half.

​you can buy olive oil in the supermarket!
has she been tested for any intolerances at all? our son suffers when he has too much dairy which he does have a small intolerance to.

when it is bad we cut out softener and use asdas own sensitive wash gel.
Banned
Had this with my daughter. It was awful nothing worked.

& I know its not what you want to hear but I ended up mixing hydrocortisone with aqueous cream in about an 20/80 split (20 % hydrocortisone 80% aqueous cream)

it worked within a couple of weeks with no impact on her skin. It took me 2 or 3 years talking to the experts before I solved it myself..

Edit: & buy the way it was proper solved within a few months & she never needed any products again. No special bathing lotion or nothing. Problem solved.
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 24th Apr 2016
daughter uses aveeno comes in cream and body wash works quiet well for her..
I am in my 60s and have had Eczema all my life. I have tried every remedy known to man over the years. I have found that using NO creams, gels or anything whilst keeping my skin CLEAN (no soap) is the best solution. Cortisones are a temporary miracle cure, but the skin gets used to them and requires ever more to keep up the same effect, until it's at a level that WILL harm the skin long-term. As mentioned above, dairy in the diet can be a trigger, and I change to goats milk or soya milk. Also, don't insist on the child not scratching, as this triggers the very stress that aggravates the condition. Gentle rubbing or stroking by someone else with clean hands can take out the stress. It takes a long leap of faith to use NOTHING and keep skin clear of anything (especially in children) but it has been the only thing that works for me. I wish you and your child well....x
Original Poster
I have tried goats milk for over one and a half year and went back to cows as it didnt help much
Banned
supersue

I am in my 60s and have had Eczema all my life.

So whatever you did never worked.

My daughter has been clear of it for 15 years
Original Poster
YouDontWantToKnow

Had this with my daughter. It was awful nothing worked.& I know its not … Had this with my daughter. It was awful nothing worked.& I know its not what you want to hear but I ended up mixing hydrocortisone with aqueous cream in about an 20/80 split (20 % hydrocortisone 80% aqueous cream)it worked within a couple of weeks with no impact on her skin. It took me 2 or 3 years talking to the experts before I solved it myself..Edit: & buy the way it was proper solved within a few months & she never needed any products again. No special bathing lotion or nothing. Problem solved.

Are these steroids in tubes or them big jars?
Travocort cream is really good
But not available in uk
You can buy of eBay
It's expensive but works well imo
Original Poster
amir

Travocort cream is really goodBut not available in uk You can buy of … Travocort cream is really goodBut not available in uk You can buy of eBayIt's expensive but works well imo

Is that a steriod cream? to be fair im scared to use steriod creams as i feel the body gets used to them i used the docs creams and the akin become very weak it was like the top layers were taken of oO
Omega 3. I use both krill oil and cod liver oil tablets. I have found this to help skin although not a cure. You may notice a difference after 2 weeks if you try it as I did. Still get flare ups though as have one now but so much better. Avoid aquarius cream for all the reasons you will find on net. It's not ment as a moisturiser,more a soap substitute. Plays my skin up
Banned
amzzzzyyyy

Are these steroids in tubes or them big jars?

hydrocortisone was in a small tube about half the size of a toothpaste tube (there is a very low level of steriod but when you mix it its then 5 times weaker... It doesnt thin the skin at all) & aqueous cream in a tub about double the size of a tin can.

A pharmacist can also mix it up for you.
Oilatium in the bath ?
Original Poster
AStonedRaichu

Oilatium in the bath ?

I have tried that but child is still itchy under the knees and on the neck and elbows
amzzzzyyyy

Is that a steriod cream? to be fair im scared to use steriod creams … Is that a steriod cream? to be fair im scared to use steriod creams as i feel the body gets used to them i used the docs creams and the akin become very weak it was like the top layers were taken of oO

Ermmm yes true it might
Original Poster
amir

Ermmm yes true it might

(_;) these creams are supposed to be from abroad aint they
Calendula cream by Nelsons or Weleda -it is the natural cure all for all of our skin conditions, along with cutting out as much refined sugar and sweetener as possible.
amzzzzyyyy

(_;) these creams are supposed to be from abroad aint they

Yes but work really well
Went through your pain with our now 4yr old would scratch till bleeding we were willing to try anything at any financial cost, after multiple visit to gp referred to skin consultant for 2 weekly appointment and then skin clinic, would read for hrs on line and discuss every two weeks at clinic 30minute appointments and rotate with creams heard about wet wrapping, mentioned at clinic, clinic provided special all over body suits" skinnies"i think so at night thick layer of diprobase(tried loads of others) really thick and greasy, then skinnies clothing to trap in cream, read about benefits of oatmeal based creams was given aveeno for morning use as doesn't show on clothing works fine for our little one, tiny flareups when he's not well but been really clear for about a year now, sorry its slight off topic and poor grammar but its late
I've had eczema all my life and my dog has skin problems too - I found that oatmeal shampoos work really well. I also brought a fresh aloe vera plant which works wonders - I would definitely recommend fresh aloe vera. Then finally, coconut oil, works wonders for healing. Definitely give these a go.
My daughter had eczema on her leg as a toddler. A friend recommended Bach's Rescue Cream, laid on in a lump, not rubbed in. Make sure your hands are clean, too, not soapy or gelled. From being sceptical we became converted, as it healed her and she has not been bothered since. We use it for all sorts of skin issues and generally it's a good help for us at least. It won't be the answer for everything and everyone, but we found it marvellous.
You can buy it online (Amazon, etc) but Boots do a 3 for 2 and similar shops sell it.
YouDontWantToKnow

So whatever you did never worked.My daughter has been clear of it for 15 … So whatever you did never worked.My daughter has been clear of it for 15 years

What I tried to say was "applying NOTHING" works best for me, after having tried ALL the other remedies - and more - mentioned on here. Keep skin absolutely clean (without using soap), avoid animal fats and acids like tomato and orange ON the skin (not saying don't consume them), even sweat can irritate. The skin is super-sensitive to ANYTHING, so NOTHING has been the best solution I have found. My skin mostly remains clear now.
My daughter seems to have inherited my dry/eczema skin (other 2 children fine!).
It only starts to flare up around this time of year when we've just turned the corner of Winter, albeit not exactly breaking out the sun lotions yet.
Try Dead Sea salts, on its own, in a bath (or if you're near the coast, the sea!).
Some 20+ years ago the backs of my knees and knuckles were red raw and I always steered away from sea water thinking it would do more harm. Anyway, literally taking the plunge on holiday the cracks were immediately (within a few minutes) gone and never came back.
AFAIK aren't some skin conditions like a fungus(?????) and the sea water cleaned it.

Also, try and get tested for allergies via a patch or skin puncture test as there's no silver bullet for all skin conditions. You may have to pay privately for this or referred by your GP.

Edited by: "u664541" 25th Apr 2016
I have the same problem still looking for a long lasting solution
Original Poster
its not nice for young children you get some really horrible looks from people looks as in there diseased
Porridge oats works wonders, just put some in a cloth and tie it up to make a bundle or use an old sock and tie it up and place it in the bath with your child, occasionally squeezing the water out into the bath to make the water milky. Just google it, hope it helps, my kids had it when they were young but have now grown out of it
Edited by: "ding" 25th Apr 2016
Have a look at salt caves , our local one has a lot of people with eczema who have noticed an improvement

Try Dead Sea salts, on its own, in a bath (or if you're near the coast, … Try Dead Sea salts, on its own, in a bath (or if you're near the coast, the sea!).

I was on holiday and met a teenager who was covered neck to toe with Eczema. At the end of the fortnight holiday, his skin was completely clear. Everybody put it down to lots sea salt ( ie lots of swimming in the sea).
I have suffered with eczema all my life and recently discovered a natural Australian cream called moo goo.i ordered a bar of their soap and a cream and it was honestly a miracle,almost completely cured my skin overnight,can't recommend it highly enough ☺
The problem with Eczema or other skin irritations is that like food intolerances they are different for everybody. Something that works for you isn't guaranteed to work for someone else. Many people recommend E45 but I am allergic to it and will have a reaction almost immediately. I can use regular Nivea but not the sensitive one!
There are lots of different creams to try and recommendations are good but don't think that they all do the same job.
Having had it all my life I now use the Neutrogena concentrated hand cream. It's dry to touch and provides a barrier.
I am using Moo Goo shampoo at present and seems to have calmed my scalp right down. Feels better for the first time in ages.
The best results i have had with my child is to use surecare clothes washing liquids/ conditioners and no bubble bath etc. Dove and other cream soaps irritate my skin but i get on well with Tesco magnolia bath soap. As sombody said above i would also avoid aqueous cream as it will thin the skin.
Original Poster
Denbi

The best results i have had with my child is to use surecare clothes … The best results i have had with my child is to use surecare clothes washing liquids/ conditioners and no bubble bath etc. Dove and other cream soaps irritate my skin but i get on well with Tesco magnolia bath soap. As sombody said above i would also avoid aqueous cream as it will thin the skin.

Is it good on stains as i use persil small and migty bio
Been there done everything for daughters eczema. Shea butter , melts easily and quickly absorbed, handy when they're nippy and run off! Aveeno which is oat based is great.
Laundry wise,nothing biological. I use natural, soap nuts but have also used surcare, acdo.
Edited by: "postmang" 25th Apr 2016
When my daughter was a baby (32 years ago) she was suffering from very severe eczema. We tried all the cortisone cream etc, they were good to stop the itching, but not to stop it reappearing.
We were told about a faith healer that could help us (i know, i did not believe in it myself), but after trying everything else we thought we had nothing to lose. Anyway we went to see her, and basically what she did was to sit me on a wheelchair with my daughter in my arms and pushing me around the room (!!!????), but primarily she asked us not to bath our daughter in water, just to use a baby milk to clean her. Anyway after about 10 to 11 months it completely disappeared. To this day i don't why, but what i know is that we stopped all the creams the doctors gave us (so there was no way to say "maybe it was the creams"). The faith healer took a jib at me on the last day in front of a packed waiting room, saying "you see, you did not believe in me at the start did not you?, i had nothing much to say to that"
So i don't know if it was the visits with me sitting on that wheelchair, or the fact that we stopped bathing her, or a combination of both but it worked
I really don't think that extremal influences have much of an effect as I get flare ups on places that soap never gets near. Plus it flares up for what I think is no reason. My feet get bad but my head is fine even though I use soap on It most days. Why do I get problems mostly down my left side around my backside and elbow. Soaps just play up the damaged areas but don't cause them. I think moisturisers help calm areas but that's all. Also stress is a trigger that's why relaxing on holiday and swimming In the sea helps. Nothing to do with salt in the water. I think it's genetic mutation and having a fatty liver and over weight with no omega 3 in my diet, plus stress stated it all off me. Things are better with my life changes however the damage is done and I have this condition for life. Hope you all find away to control the condition as it can drive you mad itching away til you bleed.
I have psoriasis and all the doctor would prescribe is stuff containing steroids. My wife got me a tube of Zeoderm, which is 99% natural and it has really helped. They do a childrens range for eczema which might be worth checking out.

https://www.salcuraskincare.com/bioskin-junior/

After years of using steroid cream I now only use Zeoderm and my daughter has tried it on her dermatitis and it clears it up. I think a discount code pops up when you first visit the website and they offer a 30 day back guarantee.

Original Poster
feel for you all who went through it and still putting up with the eczema thank you for all the comments im sure it must have helped many who saw the comment if there are any more remedies please do post X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions