EDF ENERGY

Was in Sainsbury the other week and approached by a lady advising me about Sainsbury/EDF energy for gas and electric. She sounded convincing so I signed up with them. Since then they have sent me a few letters and advised me that I start my contract with them on 27th July even though I have yet to give them meter readings or meter numbers. I have also had an e mail from my existing supplier Scottish Power saying they are sorry to lose me and if I want to stay with them to ring this number blah blah. After hearing of their huge price increase i rang them this am to say I did noty want to go with them now, the advisor told me that I have to stay with them until I switch suppliers again. She advised me that the cooling off period had expired. I said that I felt I should have been told of their impending increase and she pooh poohed this and said they did not know about it - yeah!!! I am now awaiting to spk to Scottish Power to see what they say. Can anyone tell me whether I have to stay with EDF even though they do not have my meter numbers am I liable to stay with them!!!!

20 Comments

i have had exactly the same happen to me, i went live on supply yesterday and am gutted about the increase

Now you know NOT to believe people who try to sell you things in Sainsbury's, or who knock at your door cold calling.

These people are probably paid by the number of people they "sign up" so they are obviously going to make it all sound like "good news" and they will conviniently forget to tell you any "bad news" (such as impending price rises).

I always ignore ANYONE who tries to sell me anything in a supermarket, or anyone who knocks at my front door to sell things, or phones me up out of the blue trying to sell things.

DONT believe the marketing hype.

Original Poster

oh well thanks for the comments, i am now in a queue waiting to spk to scottish power to see what they can do for me, can't see how EDF can charge me for energy when they don;t even have any meter serial numbers off me - just hope I can get out of this without having to pay EDF - it's the principle of the thing they MUST have known they were putting their charges up!!!

Banned

If you are not happy with the way you were treated report EDF to energywatch.org.uk/

The frightening thing is Scottish power have just introduced a fixed price until 2011 tariff (I signed up before the increases) and they could have easily transferred you to their new tariff.

Scottish power should be able to stop the transfer in time, but if worse comes to worse, you only need stay with EDF for one month as they cannot tie you into a contract.

Typical rip off UK, is there a part of the contract that says you can cancel if they increse prices ?? best of luck tho

Original Poster

just read the contract it states they can change their prices at any time etc etc. been trying to get hold of Scottish Power now snce 9am, tried thei 0800 number they gave me and waited over half an hour the first time and now permanently engaged. Also tried their 0845 number and waited for ages with that one aswell. Would really like to spk to them today before the contract starts tomorrow with EDF

I think you might be screwed on this one.

If you think about it from EDF's point of view, they've no legal obligation to cancel the contract, and there's nothing in it for them if they let you cancel as a gesture of goodwill. Companies tend only to do goodwills if they believe that the return is worthwhile, which usually means good face-saving PR or customer retention. Neither is going to happen here.

Speak to Scottish Power, but don't expect miracles. This is one you're probably best just chalking up as an expensive lesson in not going home and researching things on the internet before comitting yourself. However, if you want to persue the goodwill gesture thread to get some sort of money returned, there's always one possibility - write to the management of the Sainsbury's. Explain how disappointed you are in them for violating your trust and exposing you to blah and such, and that you've been a loyal customer for many years, but now, because of this incident, you'll never shop there again. And not just as a matter or principle, but because you simply can't afford to after the fuel bill hike. Make them feel guilty. They might send you a load of vouchers.

There is no minimum contract so just switch to another provider.

guilbert53;2608420

Now you know NOT to believe people who try to sell you things in … Now you know NOT to believe people who try to sell you things in Sainsbury's, or who knock at your door cold calling.

All the more since the get a commission youcould have had!
For EDF and Sainsbury: if you have a nectar card, sainsbury offer you £50 worthof voucher if you switch (i received the offer by e-mail 1-2 months ago).
But the guy in the Sainsbury does not tell you that you can have £50 if youdo it online. These £50 are the major part of his salary. And the more you accept such instore of at your door offers, the more there will be, and you end up paying for the guy that bother you while you do your shopping or while you relax at home.

If you are after a bargain, why use an intermediary?

Original Poster

thanks again for all you help, managed to get through to sales in scottish power and they state that no way will the supply start tomorrow as it takes 6-8 weeks to set up so I am still with Scottish power at the mo, need to spk to thei CS dept to tell them I want to stay with them - she has given me a free phone number but very busy so will keep trying!!!

Banned

guilbert53;2608420

Now you know NOT to believe people who try to sell you things in … Now you know NOT to believe people who try to sell you things in Sainsbury's, or who knock at your door cold calling.These people are probably paid by the number of people they "sign up" so they are obviously going to make it all sound like "good news" and they will conviniently forget to tell you any "bad news" (such as impending price rises). I always ignore ANYONE who tries to sell me anything in a supermarket, or anyone who knocks at my front door to sell things, or phones me up out of the blue trying to sell things.DONT believe the marketing hype.

Hear hear

Id never go with EDF they came round to my house with the usual blag rubbish about how theyre the best, the sales man gave me all this bumpf about how theyre using wind farms and wave generators to supply the greenest energy available , fine i said so i guess in a few months or so you will be reducing your electricity costs ? why he said , well said i after the initial outlay your getting electricity from free sources like the sea or the wind so really speaking your not paying for the electricity only its supply and upkeep of the lines, suffice to say he walked away.
With the latest price hike which is going to send my energy bills possibly over the 3 grand mark maybe even 4 i am seriously looking into those little windmills you stick on your roof and converting everything i have to electricity, maybe even 2.

everything is more expensive but these comapanies still make xx billions profit from us poor users.

Sorry, you're stuck with edf for a month, by which time all other companies will have increased prices so it's unlikley to be worth switching then.

Banned

scousethief;2609669

Id never go with EDF they came round to my house with the usual blag … Id never go with EDF they came round to my house with the usual blag rubbish about how theyre the best, the sales man gave me all this bumpf about how theyre using wind farms and wave generators to supply the greenest energy available , fine i said so i guess in a few months or so you will be reducing your electricity costs ? why he said , well said i after the initial outlay your getting electricity from free sources like the sea or the wind so really speaking your not paying for the electricity only its supply and upkeep of the lines, suffice to say he walked away.With the latest price hike which is going to send my energy bills possibly over the 3 grand mark maybe even 4 i am seriously looking into those little windmills you stick on your roof and converting everything i have to electricity, maybe even 2.everything is more expensive but these comapanies still make xx billions profit from us poor users.

£4000 for gas/electric. Do you live in a country manor house?

"With the latest price hike which is going to send my energy bills possibly over the 3 grand mark maybe even 4"

lol no, the heating in my house is on pretty much constantly, except at the minute of course its blistering hot , but my wifes disabled and feels the cold constantly which the doctor has attributed to the warfarin and other drugs she takes blah blah its a very very long story but enough to say that my energy bills are extremely high i know. But that said my bills are not the point, the point that should be taken on board is why are these companies allowed to raise prices blameing everything other than their own greed whilst raking in massive profits, if they're making profit is there any real need to increase prices ? if so what for other than more profit, we as the consumer do not benefit in anyway yet we sit on our backsides and moan on a computer ( yes lol just like i am doing ) rather than doing something about it.

Banned

scousethief;2612014

"With the latest price hike which is going to send my energy bills … "With the latest price hike which is going to send my energy bills possibly over the 3 grand mark maybe even 4"lol no, the heating in my house is on pretty much constantly, except at the minute of course its blistering hot , but my wifes disabled and feels the cold constantly which the doctor has attributed to the warfarin and other drugs she takes blah blah its a very very long story but enough to say that my energy bills are extremely high i know. But that said my bills are not the point, the point that should be taken on board is why are these companies allowed to raise prices blameing everything other than their own greed whilst raking in massive profits, if they're making profit is there any real need to increase prices ? if so what for other than more profit, we as the consumer do not benefit in anyway yet we sit on our backsides and moan on a computer ( yes lol just like i am doing ) rather than doing something about it.

Being private companies, in the same way tescos is, they are duty bound to try and make a profit so I dont see your point really. Thats the way of the capital society we live in. If the wholesale price goes up, then they have to raise prices to maintain profit margins.

Now, if you were complaining about why the UK pays more on the wholesale market than the rest of Europe, you would have a very valid point. Just why Gordon Clown allows gazprom etc to get away with this is a mystery and a disgrace.

I had a door to door fella trying to get me to switch over to Npower. He had a lovely laminated sheet showing how Npower was cheaper than everyone else. When I asked for some literature supporting this fact he said 'Here, look at my sheet.' When I asked for something that I could have to keep and prove these facts he was off in a shot.
I just dont listen to anyone. If its a good deal with the sales people it will still be a good deal when you get home on the internet and check for yourself. The only reason they want you to sign up there and then is because you will be influenced by a completely one-sided POV and they get the commision you could get online.

Its the same with most things nowadays. I wont buy things like a tv or computer until i price-match online where i find it is normally cheaper and I can earn cashback on various sites.

Banned

csiman;2610764

£4000 for gas/electric. Do you live in a country manor house?

Maybe he's with EDF energy :whistling:

Banned

No offence but people must be mad to buy anything from anyone knocking at their door / harrassing them on the street.

scousethief;2612014

lol no, the heating in my house is on pretty much constantly, except at … lol no, the heating in my house is on pretty much constantly, except at the minute of course its blistering hot , but my wifes disabled and feels the cold ............

If your wife gets any benefits you should qualify for loft insulation and/or cavity wall insulation for free unless you have it already?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. GOT Leaks again614
    2. PS4 Beta Software Version 5710
    3. Sad news about Barcelona2073
    4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846124

See more discussions