EDF meter - forced smart meter install

Found 19th Jul 2017
I am with EDF and as you may know they are rolling out smart meters. I have had letters asking if I want one and have never answered as I don't want a smart meter. I have rented for many years before I bought and found over the years meters often run fast or slow. I found usage would often vary from house to house from £400 plus a quarter to £100 for the same occupants doing and using the same stuff. So when I bought a new house with a new meter and it came in at £100 a quarter we were happy. Soon the bills slowly increased they claim we are using more but we aren't, it's now £120-£150 depending on the time of year, we have oil and dont use electricty for heating. But generally we are still happy with our meter as its cheaper then other properties, therefore I don't want anyone tampering with it or replacing it. Now we are getting regular letters and now emails pressuring us into a smart meter saying our meter is 'reaching the end of its life'....it's 5 years old! They pressure me but then say simply 'sign up/book' an appointment. Don't like the pressure tactics, and the way they are writing and emailing me. I have an outside meter in my back garden I'm wondering if eventually I'll just come home to find they have changed it against my wishes. I have no use for any features of a smart meter and i dont own a smart phone either (assuming you might use this with a smart meter). I also live in a mobile back spot so if signals are sent to and from the meter by mobile signal or anything like that it's useless. Has anyone been pressured? Am I within my rights to keep ignoring their emails and not signing up/booking my appointment for the new smart meter. I am sure some elderly people would be quite scared about the letters, it's not nice.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
23 Comments

Your not legally obligied to have one installed.

i have heard smart meter mentioned all the time. i thought they were supposed to be more accurate? am i wrong?

i find that meter changes tend to cause problem because they don't take the reading from the old meter and so can't issue final bills on the old meter. that was with british gas electricity. nightmare getting the old meter reading sorted out.

Any obligation for the customer to have / use a mobile phone with a smart meter is not applicable which may negate most of your indicated perceived concerns. Legislation requires all homes to be fitted with smart meters by 2020, and each dumb or smart meter has a useful life, and the utility suppliers have an obligation to change meters on a cyclic basis. You may be able to delay the inevitable, although not clear to what personal benefit. You can request that a smart meter be configured as dumb meter. which.co.uk/con…ter

I'm not sure its the metre. Mother in law was paying just over £1000 a year on standard tariff and last year she paid just under £600 as I got her to swap. She's convinced the meter is faulty and worried she going to be chased for outstanding payments. Really is staggering price differences and what amount of fuel some people use. Impossible to compare even with all the paperwork. People say they hardly have heating on when thats a lie. Got no answer to it.
Edited by: "wayners" 19th Jul 2017

I had something similar from SSE - claiming it was near the end of its life as a subterfuge to install a smart meter, they threatened to get a court order to change it - I changed suppliers & the new one didn't seem to want to change it...

Just change supplier. Scottish power came out to fit a smart meter at my house but the guy walked in and said the meter was too high for him to change best part being the meter has never moved so they have it on there system how high it is and could have saved me waiting in

potatokid

I have an outside meter in my back garden I'm wondering if eventually … I have an outside meter in my back garden I'm wondering if eventually I'll just come home to find they have changed it against my wishes.

Tell them you refuse them access to your land, do it in writing.

So you think you have a dodgy meter and don't want it replaced in case you have to pay what you should?

Smart meters are not compulsory and your supplier cannot force you to have one

ofgem.gov.uk/con…hts

incidentally, Scottish power are calling (hassling) me daily to have one, I'm ignoring their calls but I've emailed them to advise we don't want one and to remove us from their call list.
if they continue to hassle us, I'll be raising a complaint with them.

As far as I am aware there is no age limit for a meter. So long as it is on the approved list. The one at my dad's house is over 20 years old but is on the approved list. It's not even a digital one. I put a complaint in to first utility as kept getting pressure from Siemens to have a smart meter fitted. They were really pushy and said I must have one. I told them I would refuse them access if they knocked on my door and told them under the government regs I didn't have to have one. First utility said they were obliged to pass the details of my meter on. Fair enough but that shouldn't have included my mobile number and email. I changed supplier.
Edited by: "Smartguy1" 19th Jul 2017

Caroline_19933 h, 29 m ago

Your not legally obligied to have one installed.

Well partly correct. In 2020 you will have to have one installed

Suzannzan55 m ago

Smart meters are not compulsory and your supplier cannot force you to have …Smart meters are not compulsory and your supplier cannot force you to have onehttps://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/understand-smart-prepayment-and-other-energy-meters/smart-meters-your-rightsincidentally, Scottish power are calling (hassling) me daily to have one, I'm ignoring their calls but I've emailed them to advise we don't want one and to remove us from their call list.if they continue to hassle us, I'll be raising a complaint with them.

Until 2020 and then you will have to have one fitted.

They won't change the meter without your permission, but you will eventually have to have one by 2020. To change meter requires the engineer to enter your home so don't worry about them changing it whilst your out, it can't happen. Also when meters are changed the old readings are normally recorded and submitted to the companies. And as you said, if mobile phone signal is poor, the smart meters won't work so won't be installed.

Op your thoughts on meters running fast or slow are utter rubbish and its more to do with the different energy supplies those house will have had, the tarrifs you were on at the time, the area they were in as even different postcode areas can have different tariffs applied and also your usage. If you start renting in a summer your bills will be low and then as winter comes the bills will get higher to cover the extra usage and stay high for the next year to offset the deficit. Also if you started renting in winter they might not have assessed your usage correctly and then you had paid too little to begin with resetting in the rise.

Now you own a house, get a smart meter, pay by monthly direct debit instead of quarterly billing and the bills will be exact every time!

With regards to the smart functions, you get a little screen in the house to monitor what is being used live, so you can monitor what exactly is being used. You needn't do anything, it does it all for you.

Ive had a smart meter with BG for over a year and its great. Ive just moved to EON and it isn't yet compatible with their system so it has reverted to a dumb meter and i will submit meter readings again as before.

Grow up and stop feeling pressured by bulk email and accept what will happen eventually happen anyway.

Some people!

mutley13 h, 36 m ago

i have heard smart meter mentioned all the time. i thought they were …i have heard smart meter mentioned all the time. i thought they were supposed to be more accurate? am i wrong?i find that meter changes tend to cause problem because they don't take the reading from the old meter and so can't issue final bills on the old meter. that was with british gas electricity. nightmare getting the old meter reading sorted out.

New smart meter is set to 00000 and old meter reading is photographed and recorded on the receipt they give you and transferred to your account whilst fitter is on site. Cant go wrong.

ThePasty8 m ago

Op your thoughts on meters running fast or slow are utter rubbish and its …Op your thoughts on meters running fast or slow are utter rubbish and its more to do with the different energy supplies those house will have had, the tarrifs you were on at the time, the area they were in as even different postcode areas can have different tariffs applied and also your usage. If you start renting in a summer your bills will be low and then as winter comes the bills will get higher to cover the extra usage and stay high for the next year to offset the deficit. Also if you started renting in winter they might not have assessed your usage correctly and then you had paid too little to begin with resetting in the rise.Now you own a house, get a smart meter, pay by monthly direct debit instead of quarterly billing and the bills will be exact every time! With regards to the smart functions, you get a little screen in the house to monitor what is being used live, so you can monitor what exactly is being used. You needn't do anything, it does it all for you.Ive had a smart meter with BG for over a year and its great. Ive just moved to EON and it isn't yet compatible with their system so it has reverted to a dumb meter and i will submit meter readings again as before.Grow up and stop feeling pressured by bulk email and accept what will happen eventually happen anyway.Some people!

​You need to stay off the White Lightning if you can't control your manners.

chimp14uk13 m ago

​You need to stay off the White Lightning if you can't control your m …​You need to stay off the White Lightning if you can't control your manners.

Have genuinely never once drank the stuff. But you are right, i should have put a 'thank you' at the end of the rant.

jonesy17258 m ago

They won't change the meter without your permission, but you will …They won't change the meter without your permission, but you will eventually have to have one by 2020. To change meter requires the engineer to enter your home so don't worry about them changing it whilst your out, it can't happen. Also when meters are changed the old readings are normally recorded and submitted to the companies. And as you said, if mobile phone signal is poor, the smart meters won't work so won't be installed.

Actually that's not quite true. Currently there is no legal requirement for anyone to have a smart meter. Our government yet again has been influenced by big business that this is a good idea. Maybe it is for some but it's also good for Siemens. The government has said that the rollout of smart meters is to be done by 2020 to anyone who wants one. You don't have to have one if you don't want to and whilst your energy supplier may deem that your current meter has reached the end of its life you can request that any smart meter installed be put into "dumb'' mode so it doesn't send the information. Personally I like the idea of over paying in the summer to cover for the winter and then usually find I am in credit when I change supplier in April and have a nice little bonus credit.

ThePasty

Op your thoughts on meters running fast or slow are utter rubbish and its … Op your thoughts on meters running fast or slow are utter rubbish and its more to do with the different energy supplies those house will have had, the tarrifs you were on at the time, the area they were in as even different postcode areas can have different tariffs applied and also your usage. If you start renting in a summer your bills will be low and then as winter comes the bills will get higher to cover the extra usage and stay high for the next year to offset the deficit. Also if you started renting in winter they might not have assessed your usage correctly and then you had paid too little to begin with resetting in the rise.Now you own a house, get a smart meter, pay by monthly direct debit instead of quarterly billing and the bills will be exact every time! With regards to the smart functions, you get a little screen in the house to monitor what is being used live, so you can monitor what exactly is being used. You needn't do anything, it does it all for you.Ive had a smart meter with BG for over a year and its great. Ive just moved to EON and it isn't yet compatible with their system so it has reverted to a dumb meter and i will submit meter readings again as before.Grow up and stop feeling pressured by bulk email and accept what will happen eventually happen anyway.Some people!

This is the problem with smart meters, the tech isn't fully up to speed so switching suppliers is more difficult amongst other teething troubles. I have read a lot of conflicting reports on their usefulness or lack thereof. Note also the reason the energy suppliers are pushing for you to have one is that they get paid by the govt to install them so its a nice little earner for them.

I have so far declined one, not because I'm a Luddite but because I don't need a flashing box (that won't work anyway if I switch suppliers) in my house to tell me that leaving lights on uses electricity. My bills are rock bottom (£50 pcm dual fuel with FU for a 3 bed house) thanks to good insulation, LED bulbs, Breville Hot Cup (instead of a kettle) and Hive etc. I'm also quite happy to spread the cost and pay the same monthly DD over the year and get it tweaked if necessary . After all, why would you want to pay more over the Christmas period ?

Worth reading

and this
Edited by: "tallpete33" 20th Jul 2017

tallpete331 h, 10 m ago

This is the problem with smart meters, the tech isn't fully up to speed so …This is the problem with smart meters, the tech isn't fully up to speed so switching suppliers is more difficult amongst other teething troubles

I wouldn't say switching is more difficult, the problem with switching supplier is there isn't a standard for smart meters so if you swap supplier it will more often than not turn back into a dumb meter.

I think the government/whichever watchdog is in charge of this is looking to get a standard protocol for all smart meters so that they won't turn into dumb ones when you switch but it's not been done yet... Should have been done before the rollout!

Just going out so I haven't had time to read all of the above posts , so hope I'm not duplicating anything but I had one of these letters for one of the companies I work for. When I phoned them they said that the meter was definately due to be replaced due to age , however there was no requirement to have a smart meter if I didn't want , and they agreed to make an appointment to replace it for a like for like meter. No issues at all

cliosport6520 h, 56 m ago

Until 2020 and then you will have to have one fitted.

Agreed
To be honest we are actually all for smart meters, we do already have one and always use the income smart display to monitor our usage. We have solar panels and the display helps us to see when we are exporting to the grid thus allowing us to maximise our self consumption. We literally timed use of things such as washing machine, dishwasher etc for high generation times where possible!
Our current issue is that as our current smart meter was fitted by our previous supplier e.on, now we have moved to Scottish power it only functions as a standard meter. Ridiculous that smart meters are currently not compatible between suppliers, let's say you change supplier every 1-2 years and have to change meter every time, that's a lot of wasted money and resources for the energy companies.
That said, this is soon to change - second generation smart meters are due to be rolled out later in 2017 onwards - these will be compatible across all suppliers as data will be processed via an independent company.
Once our supplier can guarantee we can have one of the second generation meters installed we'll happily upgrade.

ThePasty19th Jul

Op your thoughts on meters running fast or slow are utter rubbish and its …Op your thoughts on meters running fast or slow are utter rubbish and its more to do with the different energy supplies those house will have had, the tarrifs you were on at the time, the area they were in as even different postcode areas can have different tariffs applied and also your usage. If you start renting in a summer your bills will be low and then as winter comes the bills will get higher to cover the extra usage and stay high for the next year to offset the deficit. Also if you started renting in winter they might not have assessed your usage correctly and then you had paid too little to begin with resetting in the rise.Now you own a house, get a smart meter, pay by monthly direct debit instead of quarterly billing and the bills will be exact every time! With regards to the smart functions, you get a little screen in the house to monitor what is being used live, so you can monitor what exactly is being used. You needn't do anything, it does it all for you.Ive had a smart meter with BG for over a year and its great. Ive just moved to EON and it isn't yet compatible with their system so it has reverted to a dumb meter and i will submit meter readings again as before.Grow up and stop feeling pressured by bulk email and accept what will happen eventually happen anyway.Some people!

Your reply saying meters running slow or fast is utter rubbish, is utter rubbish.

Analogue meters wear out and run slow. This is a fact. This is partly the reason they want them replacing with accurate meters. If your meter runs slow you're not paying enough.

There are a few other reasons they want you to have smart meters, none of which you'll know about, but needless to say, they're no spying on usage or frying your brain with radio waves like the conspiracy theorists would have you believe.
Edited by: "craigstephens" 21st Jul 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text