Groups

EDF15% price hike March 17

Anyone else got the letter about a price hike of 15% from the 1st march? Electric unit rate is going from the standard 15.96p to 17.63p. The letter claims the rise is due the increased cost their end including payments to government schemes for generation of renewable electricity, fitting smart meters and increases in certain charges for using the network. Anyone else shocked as 15% is quite a rise? Are other companies doing the same due to governments schemes and smart meter costs?

30 Comments

yeah I received the letter to but now I switched supplier and fixed it for a year

Yes, we are all paying for the smart meters, research in other countries say they are unsafe, check out Canada and the USA. Once 99% of households have them in, they will increase the prices further and you will end up with unwanted health ailments to boot as your microwaving yourself and your neighbours.
    Prices will never come down as these cartels are robbing poor and middle income households.
    saynotosmartmeters , big brother is even closer than you think?

try EBICO they supply gas and electric , make sure you compare the prices with your supplier they have no standing charge (around £90 saving a year) .

potatokid

The letter claims the rise is due the increased cost their end including … The letter claims the rise is due the increased cost their end including payments to government schemes for generation of renewable electricity

Only a cynic would suggest that this price rise somehow relates to the Hinkley Point deal.

theguardian.com/uk-…ant

Even more reason to compare every year . Its only the bone idle (or sadly those elderly folks without internet access ) that stump up for the price hikes without comparing
    Edited by: "rogparki" 27th Jan

Original Poster

rogparki

Even more reason to compare every year . Its only the bone idle (or sadly … Even more reason to compare every year . Its only the bone idle (or sadly those elderly folks without internet access ) that stump up for the price hikes without comparing

I have never had to compare before tbh not sure a) how to do it and b) what is means I don't want anyone to come fiddle with my meter as I have a meter non smart meter which I believe to not be running fast for a change I have lived various houses over the years and some the electricity is 3x the amount even with every thing turned off, just a Bl**dy swiz. So I am worried the swapping might mean someone starts messing with my meter and it starts running fast or the bills just come in higher with another firm for no reason. Do you just change the supplier and it's in theory only on paper/nothing physical happens?
    Edited by: "potatokid" 27th Jan

Potatokid

I hate to plug it but MoneySavingsExpert has a Cheap Energy Club. I don't think Mr Lewis would knowingly let any Shysters on there so sign up. Here is a link to the page and a report on the EDF hike.

moneysavingexpert.com/uti…ity

Who was it on misk the other week that said no way that energy costs will increase this year and that it will go down if anything, when i said the indication are that energy prices will go up along with all other prices following brexit worries and the weaker pound?

weekender

Only a cynic would suggest that this price rise somehow relates to the … Only a cynic would suggest that this price rise somehow relates to the Hinkley Point deal.https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/29/hinkley-point-ministers-sign-go-ahead-for-nuclear-power-plant

A cynic might also suggest that along with the reduction in the value of the pound, the government of the snail eating war heroes across the channel were punishing the British public for ruining their little Euro Scam.

Changing suppliers won't change your meter (unless you change from say normal to e7/e10).

There are loads of swap sites that'll tell you what to do, the margin Lewis one that will also warn you when you can save by switching, some that will pay you to move.

Check topcashback for offers, uswitch & Martin Lewis & get on a capped tariff to prevent increases.

I'm expecting several price increases this year due to the fall in pound & market uncertainty making finance hard for these energy companies. We've only got to have May make another stupid announcement & that'll wipe another 30% off the £ sorry to say even more so if she signs us up to a ridiculous trade agreement with Trump allowing even more of the country to be carved up & flogged off

potatokid

I have never had to compare before tbh not sure a) how to do it and b) … I have never had to compare before tbh not sure a) how to do it and b) what is means I don't want anyone to come fiddle with my meter as I have a meter non smart meter which I believe to not be running fast for a change I have lived various houses over the years and some the electricity is 3x the amount even with every thing turned off, just a Bl**dy swiz. So I am worried the swapping might mean someone starts messing with my meter and it starts running fast or the bills just come in higher with another firm for no reason. Do you just change the supplier and it's in theory only on paper/nothing physical happens?

Nothing happens to your meter , purely a paperwork exercise ,not loss of utilities while its sorted, Uswitch or MSE have this facility . Get your last Bill (as you are asked for your current usage -you can do it in £s or power used ) ,fill in the details and see what other companies will charge you . If you like what you see -You will ! simply accept that deal and Hey Presto you will save (probably) at least 30% on your gas and /or electric . No hassle whatsoever ,I do it every year . I have always saved and never had any problems transferring from one supplier to another . Enjoy your saving you'll wish you had done it years ago ,there's no saving in loyalty these days whether it be power, insurance , phone ,tele or Broadband -compare them all every year .

mutley1

Who was it on misk the other week that said no way that energy costs will … Who was it on misk the other week that said no way that energy costs will increase this year and that it will go down if anything, when i said the indication are that energy prices will go up along with all other prices following brexit worries and the weaker pound?

That's why you actually have to read the comments on Deals / Misc / Ask etc . I would say on average 60% of the comments are totally wrong (even misleading) ,30% are correct (but the poster doesn't know why ) and 10 % are correct and informative . Same with the voting -sheep will be sheep ! Don't just scan the so called "Hot Deals" as many do (you can tell as the sheep vote, once a deal goes hot, without having a clue why they vote ) . Read, absorb and make your own decision on the information presented .

rogparki

That's why you actually have to read the comments on Deals / Misc / Ask … That's why you actually have to read the comments on Deals / Misc / Ask etc . I would say on average 60% of the comments are totally wrong (even misleading) ,30% are correct (but the poster doesn't know why ) and 10 % are correct and informative . Same with the voting -sheep will be sheep ! Don't just scan the so called "Hot Deals" as many do (you can tell as the sheep vote, once a deal goes hot, without having a clue why they vote ) . Read, absorb and make your own decision on the information presented .

They were claiming that brexit worries will have no impact on energy prices as these would have been bought by the energy provider in advance already so would not be affected by current events.

Get real. Even if this were true, do you think anyone in business will not take the opportunity to increase price if everyone else is doing so in other business sectors? Prices can go up even when the cost of energy goes down. We have seen it done for many years with gas prices.

mutley1

They were claiming that brexit worries will have no impact on energy … They were claiming that brexit worries will have no impact on energy prices as these would have been bought by the energy provider in advance already so would not be affected by current events.Get real. Even if this were true, do you think anyone in business will not take the opportunity to increase price if everyone else is doing so in other business sectors? Prices can go up even when the cost of energy goes down. We have seen it done for many years with gas prices.

Its like everything ,most goods ,commodities etc (even your beloved mobile phones ) are bought ,contracted for in advance(when the £ was worth 20% more) - hence we were protected from price rises for 6 months or so . Chickens are coming home to roost now , expect inflation to be 3 - 5 % by June - Hope all the Brexiteers are getting that sort of pay rise oO

rogparki

Its like everything ,most goods ,commodities etc (even your beloved … Its like everything ,most goods ,commodities etc (even your beloved mobile phones ) are bought ,contracted for in advance - hence we were protected from price rises for 6 months or so . Chickens are coming home to roost now , expect inflation to be 3 - 5 % by June - Hope all the Brexiteers are getting that sort of pay rise oO

Inflation is on its way up alright and it aint gonna stop with all businesses getting spooked and increasing prices in readiness for future costs. Roll on brexit and smaller wallets. Lets party poor people

Agree , Brexit is good for the comfortably off with principles , not for those struggling to get by . By the way Johnny Foreigner is still coming in and how many of you Brexiteers has got a job or council house because of the vote ? And how much has the NHS got from it ? You were mugged and were to daft to realise it

Original Poster

rogparki

Nothing happens to your meter , purely a paperwork exercise ,not loss of … Nothing happens to your meter , purely a paperwork exercise ,not loss of utilities while its sorted, Uswitch or MSE have this facility . Get your last Bill (as you are asked for your current usage -you can do it in £s or power used ) ,fill in the details and see what other companies will charge you . If you like what you see -You will ! simply accept that deal and Hey Presto you will save (probably) at least 30% on your gas and /or electric . No hassle whatsoever ,I do it every year . I have always saved and never had any problems transferring from one supplier to another . Enjoy your saving you'll wish you had done it years ago ,there's no saving in loyalty these days whether it be power, insurance , phone ,tele or Broadband -compare them all every year .

So you do it every year? what type of deal to you usually except...I hear words like fixed,capped, variable, contract etc, not sure what it all means but I assume if you change every year, you can change yearly so must not be stuck in contract over a year?

Last 2 years it has been a 1 year fixed , previously I had a 2 year fixed (not so good at the as it transpired ) , but all the options are much better than the suppliers standard rate .

rogparki

Agree , Brexit is good for the comfortably off with principles , not for … Agree , Brexit is good for the comfortably off with principles , not for those struggling to get by . By the way Johnny Foreigner is still coming in and how many of you Brexiteers has got a job or council house because of the vote ? And how much has the NHS got from it ? You were mugged and were to daft to realise it

As buy to let investors, we have noticed a surge of jonny europe coming over to the uk after the brexit vote to get their foot in the door before it may be too late to do so. Guess they may think that we wont throw them out if they are setlled in the uk already before brexit.

Works great for us as this pushes up the rent due to demand for housing so i am not complaining.......for now

I do wish the remoaners would just stop. It happened, there was a vote,..... remember ???

btw WWIII and the plague of locusts didn't happen, did they :? )

LyesLyes18

try EBICO they supply gas and electric , make sure you compare the prices … try EBICO they supply gas and electric , make sure you compare the prices with your supplier they have no standing charge (around £90 saving a year) .

​not really a a saving as standing charge is minimal on most tarriffs unless u use very little electric and gas. about 10 years ago they were the cheap providers not anymore especially the gas prices at well over double the cheapest prices around 5p pkwh and cheapest around half that I would recommend and comparison via a few differnet sites it's very easy to do. try the others mentioned plus there's energylinx. which is good at comparing but not very good at paying cashback of 17 pounds per fuel. I would do a comparison for both gas and electricity as a duel fuel take the figures down then look at both as separate suppliers and see which works out cheaper. no physical moving of any equipment is required and no disconnections almost all providers let u change everything online no papers need sending off its very easy to do. main thing is to work out what ur annual usage is and then compare everything I recon u will be able to save a good few hundred pounds if u switch both gas and electricity if u haven't switched in a few years.

What's the situation with ur boiler change potato kid

Why do we have to buy our own smart meters if the energy companies are meant to be supplying them and hiking prices to absorb the cost?
    I really want a smart meter compatible with Alexa, but IF the energy cartel are going to supply them I will wait. Does anyone have any knowledge of when the roll out will start??

So if the government has forced the energy companies to pay for the smart meters who just pass that on.... Didnt anyone think maybe we should just let each individual pay if they want it. They are a total gimmick anyway, not thought out at all. British gas smart meter doesnt work when you switch supplier so if you shop around youll never be with one company long enough to get a working one, total genius... 15% hike for some little crappy screen that says your using electric. If you want to save electric its so easy nowadays to work out without a smart meter since all appliances are ranked.

getmeone

A cynic might also suggest that along with the reduction in the value of … A cynic might also suggest that along with the reduction in the value of the pound, the government of the snail eating war heroes across the channel were punishing the British public for ruining their little Euro Scam.

Excatly - one of the costs of Brexit!

EDF is French owned company and the UK imports a significant amount of electricity from the French nuclear powered grid. What do you expect? For us to leave the EU and still get "mates reates" ?

Also we import a large amount of gas from the EU, so same effct.

This will get significantly worse in 2 years time !!

EliTom

Original Poster

MynameisM

What's the situation with ur boiler change potato kid

Mother got quote for £3,100 plus vat instead £8,000 plus vat she had prior, she's already had work done without problem and didn't need to move out...happy days, thanks for asking

17.96p per kwh! oO

Try Octopus Energy. I pay 10.9p per kwh electric and 2.19p for gas.

They all flick these prices around each year or so. If you look for a fixed option coming to it's end soon you will more then likely get a decent deal. But a lot depends on how you use the energy, if you use little go for high standing charge with low use charge. And visa versa :-)

elitom

Excatly - one of the costs of Brexit!EDF is French owned company and the … Excatly - one of the costs of Brexit!EDF is French owned company and the UK imports a significant amount of electricity from the French nuclear powered grid. What do you expect? For us to leave the EU and still get "mates reates" ?Also we import a large amount of gas from the EU, so same effct.This will get significantly worse in 2 years time !!EliTom

what a daft comment. we have never got 'mates rates' from the EU. we have always been a soft touch to them. a cash cow.

btw, the pound against the eu has often (frequently) been at its current level. it's low against the dollar comparatively but the EU customs union puts a tariff of 16-18 % on a lot goods from outside the eu including the US. The pound hasn't dropped that much so coming out of the customs union and prices won't be going up probably.

I do wish people on here expressing an opinion checked their facts first.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Iphone 6 to which handset?22
      2. Does the app aznog still work?25
      3. How to get laptop to boot from DVD/CD drive?614
      4. Which Kodi Add-ons?1920

See more discussions