EE asking £50 deposit to call back uk while Roaming in EU!

Found 29th Jun
Hello all, isnt the call to uk free while roaming in eu? Just had chat (couldn't call as international call bared) and the ee agent says I need to pay deposit to enable call to uk. As im in roaming and I can make chargeable call (though I've £100 credit limit). Is it even legal? I even says u can block chargeable call but they cant. R they right or I should complain?
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Que?
Depends on what your contract is. You may or may not have free roaming, and it sounds like you don’t.

Ask EE what the costs are, no one on here will be able to find out what’s on your contract.
"Hello all, isnt the call to uk free while roaming in eu?"

No the calls are chargeable but no longer incur a roaming cost. If you have a PAYG bundle or contract the inclusive minutes can be used up to certain limits i.e three months of overseas usage at a time. If normal PAYG the PAYG rates apply. Bearing in mind it can take several months for the overseas network(s) to inform your network of calls made, that is probably why they are asking deposit to cover any potential cost in the mean time.
Hi. Sorry I'm on pay monthly max contract. It should come with free eu roaming.
OBH6UK5 m ago

"Hello all, isnt the call to uk free while roaming in eu?"No the calls are …"Hello all, isnt the call to uk free while roaming in eu?"No the calls are chargeable but no longer incur a roaming cost. If you have a PAYG bundle or contract the inclusive minutes can be used up to certain limits i.e three months of overseas usage at a time. If normal PAYG the PAYG rates apply. Bearing in mind it can take several months for the overseas network(s) to inform your network of calls made, that is probably why they are asking deposit to cover any potential cost in the mean time.

Thanx.I understand if it was payag it would cost general uk cost. As I got inclusive minute and its 2nd day I'm here it should cost my inclusive minute. Can they still ask deposit to call uk? Chargeable call should be if I call local which they could simply block. My data is working but not outgoing calls.
You don't have free roaming you have inclusive roaming in the EU. What country are you in? As they are asking for deposit either you are a new customer with a short history or they have some other reason. Did you inform them you were going abroad before you went as if not that can cause issues. Ultimately you will get the deposit back providing there are no outstanding charges.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 29th Jun
OBH6UK7 m ago

You don't have free roaming you have inclusive roaming in the EU. What …You don't have free roaming you have inclusive roaming in the EU. What country are you in? As they are asking for deposit either you are a new customer with a short history or they have some other reason. Did you inform them you were going abroad before you went as if not that can cause issues.

Yea u r right. Im new customer to ee around 3-4 month.I'm in Latvia now. U reckon they are asking deposit for short history? The agent told me that too. But I was thinking she was just trying to take some deposit and I shouldn't pay any deposit.
Isn't it free to receive a call?
Bigfootpete16 m ago

Isn't it free to receive a call?

Apparently call comes.
Are you trying to make calls which would normally be free if you were in the UK? Because you mention chargeable calls also.
Edited by: "MIDURIX" 30th Jun
Hi.
MIDURIX54 m ago

Are you trying to make calls which would normally be free if you were in …Are you trying to make calls which would normally be free if you were in the UK? Because you mention chargeable calls also.

Hi. Exactly. I was trying to call another uk mobile (which is inclusive and not premium). But I couldn't. As I'm traveling technically that will be international call according to ee.
crazydealhunter8 m ago

Hi. Hi. Exactly. I was trying to call another uk mobile (which is …Hi. Hi. Exactly. I was trying to call another uk mobile (which is inclusive and not premium). But I couldn't. As I'm traveling technically that will be international call according to ee.

on max you have to change it from 07817XXXXXX to 011447817XXXXXX. I told them I was going abroad and they never mentioned this, I'm also on the MAX plan and as you say all inclusive minutes etc are inclusive abroad. I was in the usa.
Thanx. I will try that way. But what's that 011 before 44?
crazydealhunter40 m ago

Thanx. I will try that way. But what's that 011 before 44?

Latvia will be 00447817XXXXXX

011 is USA exit code, 44 is UK country code, Latvia exit code is 00.
Edited by: "MIDURIX" 30th Jun
MIDURIX35 m ago

Latvia will be 00447817XXXXXX011 is USA exit code, 44 is UK country code, …Latvia will be 00447817XXXXXX011 is USA exit code, 44 is UK country code, Latvia exit code is 00.

Nope.didn't work. But thanx though.
Are you on holiday or now living in Latvia? Your comment of ‘technically’ travelling and now in Lativia make it sound less than temporary.
They want a deposit to ensure you don’t run a bill and fail to pay.
crazydealhunter1 h, 34 m ago

Nope.didn't work. But thanx though.

So there's no dial tone or anything? You are in Latvia trying to call the UK yes?
MIDURIX1 h, 14 m ago

So there's no dial tone or anything? You are in Latvia trying to call the …So there's no dial tone or anything? You are in Latvia trying to call the UK yes?

Hi. Yes but when I try it says international call is not allowed. Anyway I sorted buying tesco international calling. Using my data calling UK and local.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions