EE calling on wifi when there is no EE mobile signal

Found 10th Oct 2017
I have received lots of info from EE about wifi calling if there is no mobile signal but the information isn't that clear to me.

Anyone else been able to take advantage of this new facility and can confirm that it works for both incoming and outgoing calls as well as SMS text messages?
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
What info isn't clear? If you are on EE you can call when there is no mobile network coverage signal but when you have a wifi signal.

It works on both incoming and outgoing calls.

I live in a property that has no mobile coverage at all but I can make/receive calls on my EE mobile when at home with the wifi on.
At the moment EE is having network issues. I cannot call other networks or landline using both wifi calling and mobile signal. However can call other EE users.

Wifi calling works on iPhones from 6 onwards and on android if the phone was purchased from EE itself and I believe the latest android handsets do not have this restriction.
Original Poster
sydney87121 m ago

At the moment EE is having network issues. I cannot call other networks or …At the moment EE is having network issues. I cannot call other networks or landline using both wifi calling and mobile signal. However can call other EE users.Wifi calling works on iPhones from 6 onwards and on android if the phone was purchased from EE itself and I believe the latest android handsets do not have this restriction.

i haven't tried calling anyone today but i have a few days ago and didn't have any problem. i have note 4, which i bought from samsung so i don't know if this will work. when i don't have mobile signal, i often don't have wifi either so i haven't been able to test the new facility out.
Original Poster
windym1 h, 19 m ago

What info isn't clear? If you are on EE you can call when there is no …What info isn't clear? If you are on EE you can call when there is no mobile network coverage signal but when you have a wifi signal. It works on both incoming and outgoing calls. I live in a property that has no mobile coverage at all but I can make/receive calls on my EE mobile when at home with the wifi on.

it seems to indicate i have to register the phone somehow, then when i click on register, it takes me to the EE website which just waffles on about wifi calling and virgin wifi on the underground so i don't know if i need to register my phone or my account to turn this wifi calling facility on, or whether it just works automatically?

from some comments that i have across before, it appears that only some EE plans offer wifi calling, not all plans and the above poster seem to indicate that this facility only works on certain phones.
Virgin had problems, couldn't make any calls from mobiles. Also Sky landline was engaged signal when the phone wasn't being used
Original Poster
summerof7618 m ago

Virgin had problems, couldn't make any calls from mobiles. Also Sky …Virgin had problems, couldn't make any calls from mobiles. Also Sky landline was engaged signal when the phone wasn't being used

my husband is on virgin mobile and i am on EE. called just now and works fine. we have sky landline but we disconnected the landline phone so only use it for sky broadband. not had any issue today with broadband.
mutley11 h, 44 m ago

it seems to indicate i have to register the phone somehow, then when i …it seems to indicate i have to register the phone somehow, then when i click on register, it takes me to the EE website which just waffles on about wifi calling and virgin wifi on the underground so i don't know if i need to register my phone or my account to turn this wifi calling facility on, or whether it just works automatically?from some comments that i have across before, it appears that only some EE plans offer wifi calling, not all plans and the above poster seem to indicate that this facility only works on certain phones.

Is it an Android phone? Did you get the phone from EE directly? If yes to both then contact EE . If you did not get the phone from EE then you may not be able to use wifi calling. I believe it only works for S7 onwards.

For iPhones greater than 6 it works automatically by enabling wifi calling.
We have EE and for some reason our phones don't work in our house so EE gave us a free Signal Booster which connects to your home broadband and provides faultless coverage
Original Poster
sydney8714 h, 33 m ago

Is it an Android phone? Did you get the phone from EE directly? If yes to …Is it an Android phone? Did you get the phone from EE directly? If yes to both then contact EE . If you did not get the phone from EE then you may not be able to use wifi calling. I believe it only works for S7 onwards. For iPhones greater than 6 it works automatically by enabling wifi calling.

It is samsung galaxy note 4, so yes, android. I bought it from the manufacturer, samsung, directly, so not direct from EE. S7 came out after the note 4, so if what you say is correct then i won't have the wifi facility on my phone. I will call EE and ask
darlodge10 h, 53 m ago

We have EE and for some reason our phones don't work in our house so EE …We have EE and for some reason our phones don't work in our house so EE gave us a free Signal Booster which connects to your home broadband and provides faultless coverage

Did you just call customer services and ask? I’m having this problem in a new house - got to go stand by the back patio doors for reception!!!
bluep12 h, 2 m ago

Did you just call customer services and ask? I’m having this problem in a …Did you just call customer services and ask? I’m having this problem in a new house - got to go stand by the back patio doors for reception!!!

Yeah I just called up and said the signal was shocking and was forcing me to consider another provider for our two mobiles. They perform a few postcode checks which proved pointless as my last house two roads away had a perfect signal and then they shipped it out.

You then connect it to your router with an ethernet cable and call them to activate it and you're done and all is well again
mutley110th Oct

It is samsung galaxy note 4, so yes, android. I bought it from the …It is samsung galaxy note 4, so yes, android. I bought it from the manufacturer, samsung, directly, so not direct from EE. S7 came out after the note 4, so if what you say is correct then i won't have the wifi facility on my phone. I will call EE and ask

community.ee.co.uk/t5/…140
EE Wi-Fi Calling tends to work on EE Branded Handsets best. I think the roll out began around iPhone5 time with the Galaxy S6 and Lumia 640 initially. My sister bought a non EE S6 and Wi-Fi calling isn't on it. I have it on my Network Unlocked Lumia 950XL. I recently bought a EE Branded Huawei P10 and that too has Wi-Fi calling. Basically, when your phone is on Wi-Fi, calls can be routed through it which is handy when using London Underground or places where there is bad or no mobile signal. I believe you must have active credit on your plan for it to work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants