EE Cancel Contract Free

Found 2nd Feb 2014
I hope this is in the right section. EE are raising their prices above their prices above the RPI rate of inflation on 26 March 2014. As a result existing customers who joined or upgraded before 23 January 2014 can cancel their contract without charge.

I thought this might help those wanting a better deal or have bad reception and want to get out or those who simply want to take the chance for a upgrade of some sort.
Community Updates
46 Comments
im on tmobile which has become ee. been with them since 2012. will this include me?
Original Poster
Sadly I think not. As far as I understood it is only for EE 4G customers.
might want to read it properly...
the change detailed is only about how and when they notify u of price increases, this doesnt state that prices are rising above rpi, this is new legislation that all uk mobile operators will follow, not just ee

hope that helps
Original Poster
rnr81

might want to read it properly...

Have I missed something?

Please see below the updated clause which details one of the instances in which you have the right to cancel your plan without charge, as a result of a price change.

7.2.3.3. We have given You Written Notice of an increase in a Price Plan Charge under point 7.1.4 and (i) the increase in Your Price Plan Charge (as a percentage) is higher than the annual percentage increase in the Retail Price Index (RPI) published by the Office for National Statistics (calculated using the most recently published RPI figure before we give you Written Notice under 7.1.4);
kkdool

Have I missed something?Please see below the updated clause which details … Have I missed something?Please see below the updated clause which details one of the instances in which you have the right to cancel your plan without charge, as a result of a price change.7.2.3.3. We have given You Written Notice of an increase in a Price Plan Charge under point 7.1.4 and (i) the increase in Your Price Plan Charge (as a percentage) is higher than the annual percentage increase in the Retail Price Index (RPI) published by the Office for National Statistics (calculated using the most recently published RPI figure before we give you Written Notice under 7.1.4);

They aren't actually increasing their prices - they're just informing you of an amendment to the existing terms which means that IF/WHEN they increase their prices above rpi that you have the right to cancel.

Thanks for posting though op. :-)
Original Poster
Yup. Lesson learned. Never post first thing on a Sunday morning.
Damn so I can't cancel, hate my phone
I thought the new legislation was ANY price increase gave you the right to cancel, as you would have agreed to the price in the beginning of the contract
Mod
rosscopark

I thought the new legislation was ANY price increase gave you the right … I thought the new legislation was ANY price increase gave you the right to cancel, as you would have agreed to the price in the beginning of the contract

That's for new contracts taken out after 23rd Jan.
O2 have gotten round this legislation by kindly giving all contracts a mandatory increase in line with inflation each year rather than leaving it to their discretion.
You give Us notice to immediately cancel this Agreement before the change takes effect.
7.2.4. An Additional Commitment Service Cancellation Charge won’t apply if You are within the minimum period of the Additional Commitment Service and:
7.2.4.1. Point 7.2.3.1 applies; or
7.2.4.2. You are a Consumer and the change that We gave You Written Notice of in point 7.1.2 above is of material detriment to You and You give Us notice to immediately cancel the Additional Commitment Service before the change takes effect

Possibly detrimental this new change? If so you can indeed cancel
Mod
staylorp

You give Us notice to immediately cancel this Agreement before the change … You give Us notice to immediately cancel this Agreement before the change takes effect.7.2.4. An Additional Commitment Service Cancellation Charge won’t apply if You are within the minimum period of the Additional Commitment Service and:7.2.4.1. Point 7.2.3.1 applies; or7.2.4.2. You are a Consumer and the change that We gave You Written Notice of in point 7.1.2 above is of material detriment to You and You give Us notice to immediately cancel the Additional Commitment Service before the change takes effectPossibly detrimental this new change? If so you can indeed cancel

Unfortunately RPI increases are not considered as material detriment
Can we really not cancel because of this? Seems as though their changing the T&Cs so if they want to increase in line with inflation they can and we have no comeback?
Rang tmobile and they let me cancel due to the upcoming price increase no cancellation fee and I still had 18months of my contract left
Rang and asked to cancel my contract - they say they are not increasing their prices,the message is merely to update terms and conditions regarding any price increases that MAY happen in the future in line with the law. I've received a txt msg to reiterate thtere are NO price increase!
I have upgrade to EE 4G from T mobile on Dec 15 2013.....if i want to cancel this contract due to this price change, let me know what should happen to my existing number, existing phone and is there any money i have to pay to ee for that. Please advice......
mod
Mayaharey

I have upgrade to EE 4G from T mobile on Dec 15 2013.....if i want to … I have upgrade to EE 4G from T mobile on Dec 15 2013.....if i want to cancel this contract due to this price change, let me know what should happen to my existing number, existing phone and is there any money i have to pay to ee for that. Please advice......

Mayaharey, have you contacted EE to ask them this? That would be the first thing to do
As people have already said EE aren't planning to increase their prices. When I received the email from EE explaining the clause I phoned them expecting them to cancel. However they stated that they were currently conducting a survey and no decision had been made on price plan changes therefore I couldn't cancel my contract.
As of this writing, any increase of the price plan ABOVE the rate of inflation, would mean that you could cancel the contract without penalty. However, since EE have a massive team of legal experts at their disposal, do you really think they would make the mistake of doing that? The increases in the past, in 2012 and 2013 have all been under the rate of inflation and well in line with the RPI. There is no chance of cancelling contracts if there is an increase in line with the RPI, as this is covered in the terms and conditions of your contract. The updated T&Cs only make hte clause clearer, since this clause has ALWAYS been there.
staylorp

You give Us notice to immediately cancel this Agreement before the change … You give Us notice to immediately cancel this Agreement before the change takes effect.7.2.4. An Additional Commitment Service Cancellation Charge won’t apply if You are within the minimum period of the Additional Commitment Service and:7.2.4.1. Point 7.2.3.1 applies; or7.2.4.2. You are a Consumer and the change that We gave You Written Notice of in point 7.1.2 above is of material detriment to You and You give Us notice to immediately cancel the Additional Commitment Service before the change takes effectPossibly detrimental this new change? If so you can indeed cancel

Totally agree with this term in the contract, however having just spoken with Orange advisers, they do not seem to want to acknowledge this at all. Surely a 'material detriment' to the consumer is subjective and not for them to judge just because "everyone is being effected in the current climate". Very wrong.
says this under faq though

If you wish to cancel your contract, you’ll need to pay any cancellation charges that may apply. As stated in your terms and conditions you may cancel your contract without penalty if we increase your monthly plan charge (the recurring amount you pay each month) by more than the current rate of RPI. This increase is in line with RPI and therefore cancellation charges will apply.
no mobile company is on the customers side they always rip you off sooner or later they only want to know you when you walk through a shop door to look at the phones on display and when you sign up they cant do enough for you wait till later when you phone customer services they dont want to know you
Giff Gaff are good?
What's the threshold for being above RPI? by my reckoning the amounts they have stated it will increase by in the letter i got today are 2.714% as RPI is 2.7% this increase would be above RPI any thoughts? obviously the actual bill hasn't come through yet as this is due around end of May.
take a look at this thread. I have just won against ee over the t&c change, had my contract cancelled without penalty all charges to be paid back to me from 13/02/14. and 100 pound compensation. o2 are next on my list

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…e=6
Mikmonken

What's the threshold for being above RPI? by my reckoning the amounts … What's the threshold for being above RPI? by my reckoning the amounts they have stated it will increase by in the letter i got today are 2.714% as RPI is 2.7% this increase would be above RPI any thoughts? obviously the actual bill hasn't come through yet as this is due around end of May.

I would wait til your bill comes through. If, on the bill you get AFTER may 28th, the amount of the increase comes to MORE than exactly 2.7%, then contact Orange and claim your right to cancel. By law, if the monetary increase is equal to a part of 1p then they must round the amount DOWN, as to round it up would be more than the allowed increase.
I've had letters telling me that my two EE contracts are going up by 2.7%, RPI.

I don't really want to cancel, as I think I get a good deal, but as far as I can tell, the published RPI on 25 March is 2.5%, not 2.7%. Can't find confirmation of this anywhere!

Not super important for me, but would get back at them if they've blatantly not read the book!
Just received a letter from EE this morning saying my tariff will increase (about £1 for each contract, I have two). I know it is peanuts, but I still find it very annoying. I didn't sign the amended Ts&Cs: shouldn't us customers agree to that?
happyroamer

I've had letters telling me that my two EE contracts are going up by … I've had letters telling me that my two EE contracts are going up by 2.7%, RPI.I don't really want to cancel, as I think I get a good deal, but as far as I can tell, the published RPI on 25 March is 2.5%, not 2.7%. Can't find confirmation of this anywhere!Not super important for me, but would get back at them if they've blatantly not read the book!

Not sure if I'm reading it correctly, but you may be right...

m.bbc.co.uk/new…209
Just contacted EE, They have given me £1.00 off my bills until end of contract, so the increase will not affect me. I went through to cancellations dept first.
This might help some....

"EU directive 93/13 states that if a service provider alters the conditions of a fixed term directive during the agreed term they must by law inform the consumer of their right to leave the contract penalty free. This was consumed into British Law in the Unfair Terms Consumer Contracts regulations 2009. Mobile companies comply with the law all over Europe, just in rip off Britain has Ofcom failed to enforce the Law allowing Service Providers to rip off customers to the tune of £ billions.
This law applies not just to mobile phone users, but to all communications service providers, BSKYB, Virgin broadband, TV and so on.
My only regret is that from January next year I will no longer be able to sue companies illegally increasing bills."

telegraph.co.uk/fin…tml
Currently on a 24 month contract with T-Mobile that's due to expire in October 2014 - am I able to cancel this before that time without penalty based upon this 2.7% price increase?
According to ONS the RPI for march is 2.5% not 2.7% ons.gov.uk/ons…pdf surely this means they have put in an increase that breaks the contract?
Hi folks,

These increase in contract prices annoy me too, at least they let you know they might (will) do it at some point in your contract 2 years ago when they first did it, they just did it. It still I don't think is v customer facing, when did your car finance up its self mid contract.

Interestingly it says above the rate in the terms and conditions you can cancel. The statistic by the looks of it
http://www3.hants.gov.uk/finance/retailpricesindexandconsumerpriceindex.htm

changed today, now I know that a regional gov website but it must be based on the actual central gov website.

I only got my letter today those statistics I think are posted in the morning and it says LASTEST government statistics (not the ones when we posted the letter). Anyway I just spoke to them and it was a bit late so I got cut off while they were finding me to speak to, apparently EE out source after a certain time to Ireland. To add insult to injury the women said it was a government levy wtf??? No its YOUR accountant with a spreadsheet !!!

If I got time I will try tomorrow, I don't hold out much luck as someone already posted the terms are stacked in these guys favour .
Edited by: "rj8994" 15th Apr 2014
Yeah, this is premium grade horsecrap.

I've been with T-Mobile since October 2012 and, thank god, my contract with them will end in 6 months time. 2 price increases since I started.

Got the letter this morning and decided to look up the current RPI and it is indeed 2.5%. Rang to complain and cancel and was basically told to F-Off. They say that the reason 2.7% is used and not the figure of 2.5% is because 2.7% was the last confirmed figure as of March 25th so that's what they're going on, even though by the time the increase will hit in May the figure will likely be below that looking at the trend in RPI percentage this year.

I ended the call telling them that there will be no way in hell I'll be staying with them by the time my contract ends and, nothing personal to the girl on the phone as she was just doing her job, the company should be ashamed of it's practices.
Don't want to rain on your parade, but the increase is based on the February RPI release, which came out on 25th March 2014. The latest RPi figure is for the 12 month average from April 2013 - March 2014 and was released on 15th April 2014.

The increase is conforming to the Ofcom guidelines, and does not breach the terms of your contract.

BUT... the UTCCR's and the USD DO state that if the terms change within the period of the contract EE are obliged to inform you of termination. So whilst the Increase is not disputable with EE, the changes in the T&Cs ARE!! If your terms and conditions changed, then there are means for you to initiate court action to end your contract without fees. So far, I have a count of 16 successful cases.
Many have cancelled.
Check out Money Saving Expert forums.
Click my link further up and follow randomcurves templates. You will have you're contract cancelled without penalty and compensation to
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions