EE increase RPI 4.1% - can I cancel?

Found 12th Feb
Hi,

Ee have messaged me saying they’re increasing the cost of my contracts with them by 4.1% the latest rpi figure.

is there anyway I can cancel? 4.1% seems a lot to me. I know it’ll say in t&cs it can be increased in line but still....

very disappointed

Dan
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
ofcom.org.uk/abo…...

• Ofcom is likely to regard any increase3 to the recurring monthly subscription charge4in a fixed-term contract as 'materially detrimental' to consumers;
  • providers should therefore give consumers at least 30 days' notice of any such price rise and allow them to exit their contract without penalty; and
  • any changes to contract terms, pricing or otherwise, must be communicated clearly and transparently to consumers.
RPI increase is set at 1.8, EE increase is 4.5

ofcom.org.uk/abo…ses

22 January 2014

From tomorrow, consumers and small businesses taking out new landline, broadband or mobile contracts should be allowed to exit them without penalty if their provider increases the monthly subscription price agreed at the point of sale.
ee.co.uk/hel…017

Can I cancel my contract?

Of course, we don’t want to see you go but if you’d like to leave before the end of your contract, you may need to pay an early termination charge.

It says you MAY need to pay early termination charge
So what happens to your smartphone if you cancel?
The RPI is 4.1% so they have only increased it as per their agreement with you.
Link
krazyasif7861 h, 20 m ago

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2013/protection-for-consumers-again...Ofcom is likely to regard any increase3 to the recurring monthly subscription charge4in a fixed-term contract as 'materially detrimental' to consumers;providers should therefore give consumers at least 30 days' notice of any such price rise and allow them to exit their contract without penalty; andany changes to contract terms, pricing or otherwise, must be communicated clearly and transparently to consumers.RPI increase is set at 1.8, EE increase is 4.5https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/content6/posts2/news3/201111113/protection-for-consumers-against-unexpected-mid-contract-price-rises22 January 2014From tomorrow, consumers and small businesses taking out new landline, broadband or mobile contracts should be allowed to exit them without penalty if their provider increases the monthly subscription price agreed at the point of sale.

Check your figures, RPI is 4.1% Link
of course you cant leave - its in your contract that you signed being fully aware that it would go up!

If you leave they will charge you early termination fees

Not sure how you can be very disappointed about something happening that you knew about at the point of sale
jco8323 h, 47 m ago

So what happens to your smartphone if you cancel?

I read in a forum that the phone is ee's until 6 months lapse. So if your within your first 6 months you may have to give it back ...
best thing to do is just ask them that you feel the price hike is too much so want to leave ... you never know they may offer you a retention deal ,.,
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants