Ee upgrade from iPhone XS to 11 pro

Posted 15th Sep
For anyone who wants to upgrade but is now right in the middle of their 2 year contract the ee early upgrade fee will be £500 or less, you can trade in your iPhone XS for £500 - £550 or sell it private for even more. Also the the new plans on the iPhone 11 pro and pro max are actually cheaper than last years Xs so I could get a higher plan with 0 handset cost for less or the same monthly fee. Personally I don’t think the 11 pro is worth the upgrade from the Xs and I’ll be able to give my daughter my Xs in a year when the 12 comes out and I’ll be in good position to get better deal when out of contract, next years iPhone is said to be a big change and that was know before the 11 even got announced. But for anyone impatient going from the Xs to the 11 pro won’t cost you anything.
Community Updates
9 Comments
How will it not cost you anything?
Trebor8615/09/2019 18:58

How will it not cost you anything?

The upgrade fee for upgrading a year early is the same as the trade in for the iPhone XS (you’ll get more selling an other way but will have to fork out £500 upgrade fee separately) then the new plans for the iPhone 11 pro are better value than last years iPhone XS plans, this year you don’t get as many extras it’s all swappable extra so you pick 1/2 extras like BT sport but can change them any time. Also if you use most your data watching videos on Netflix or you tube etc then you can go on a lower plan and have the unlimited streaming extra and that will make your monthly plan even cheaper (unless your already on like a 1-4gb plan)
Your missing the fact that your taking out a new 2year contract, compared against your current contract which ends in a year and then you can go SIMO for a lot cheaper. Then the fact you’ve already paid for your handset, this is why companies love monthly charges because it hides the full amount to many people that don’t understand the math...

Let’s assume your monthly fee is £35 pm and the same SIMO is £10 pm.

For instance:
1 year remaining in contract plus 1 year SIMO would cost: (12 months * £35) + (12 months * £10) = £540, then take away the phone which remains your asset say now worth £400 the actual cost is £140 for 2 more years of use.

Upgrade to a 2 year contract:
(24 months * £35) - £500 sale of your asset + £500 early exit fee + upfront handset costs (assuming £0 based on your post but not sure if it’s actually true?) = £840 then take away the value of the newer phone say £500 and the actual cost is £340 for 2 more years of use.

These are estimated figures but you can see your perception of “costs nothing” actually turns out your paying £200 over the lifetime of the contract to upgrade.

Try it out with your actually figures to see what the real storey is here.
Edited by: "lersince1991" 15th Sep
lersince199115/09/2019 19:14

Your missing the fact that your taking out a new 2year contract, compared …Your missing the fact that your taking out a new 2year contract, compared against your current contract which ends in a year and then you can go SIMO for a lot cheaper. Then the fact you’ve already paid for your handset, this is why companies love monthly charges because it hides the full amount to many people that don’t understand the math...Let’s assume your monthly fee is £35 pm and the same SIMO is £10 pm.For instance:1 year remaining in contract plus 1 year SIMO would cost: (12 months * £35) + (12 months * £10) = £540, then take away the phone which remains your asset say now worth £400 the actual cost is £140 for 2 more years of use.Upgrade to a 2 year contract:(24 months * £35) - £500 sale of your asset + £500 early exit fee + upfront handset costs (assuming £0 based on your post but not sure if it’s actually true?) = £840 then take away the value of the newer phone say £500 and the actual cost is £340 for 2 more years of use.These are estimated figures but you can see your perception of “costs nothing” actually turns out your paying £200 over the lifetime of the contract to upgrade.Try it out with your actually figures to see what the real storey is here.

Yeah this is the exact reason I wouldn’t do it but plenty people pay a higher rate contract for upgrade anytime or take out the Apple really high cost thing that lets you change the phone after a year and both of those you hand the phone back after the year so are in the same boat but doing it the way I’ve mentioned above is a lot cheaper than those options, my way also gives you the choice so if the phone is a real improvement after a year you can upgrade and if it’s not much better you can stay the full 2 years. I’ll be giving my phone to my daughter so need to keep it anyway but I as just pointing out to those stuck in kiddie of contract the early upgrade fees are far cheaper than the remaining term left on the contract
lersince199115/09/2019 19:14

Your missing the fact that your taking out a new 2year contract, compared …Your missing the fact that your taking out a new 2year contract, compared against your current contract which ends in a year and then you can go SIMO for a lot cheaper. Then the fact you’ve already paid for your handset, this is why companies love monthly charges because it hides the full amount to many people that don’t understand the math...Let’s assume your monthly fee is £35 pm and the same SIMO is £10 pm.For instance:1 year remaining in contract plus 1 year SIMO would cost: (12 months * £35) + (12 months * £10) = £540, then take away the phone which remains your asset say now worth £400 the actual cost is £140 for 2 more years of use.Upgrade to a 2 year contract:(24 months * £35) - £500 sale of your asset + £500 early exit fee + upfront handset costs (assuming £0 based on your post but not sure if it’s actually true?) = £840 then take away the value of the newer phone say £500 and the actual cost is £340 for 2 more years of use.These are estimated figures but you can see your perception of “costs nothing” actually turns out your paying £200 over the lifetime of the contract to upgrade.Try it out with your actually figures to see what the real storey is here.

Though I never keep a phone older than 2 years old so never actually get the benefit of sim only, but my kids always get a good 2 year old iPhone so that is good enough for me. Another trick I do though cos ee allow you to upgrade 2 months early I upgrade to a sim only deal after 22 months and that is usually £35 cheaper than my iPhone contract so a save £70 over the 2 year term of each contract.
Apple iPhone Upgrade Programme is better.

I do £18/m for my EE 20GB contract.

iPhone 11 Pro 256 £63/m

Total £81/m is cheaper than the £90+ I saw EE quoting me. Plus my deal comes with Apple care and when the iPhone 12 comes out, I take this one back and just swap it with Apple.

Been doing this since iPhone 7 - 8 Plus - XS Max - 11 Pro.

No upgrade fees. No interest. Just a new iPhone every year.
jf101015/09/2019 21:20

Apple iPhone Upgrade Programme is better. I do £18/m for my EE 20GB …Apple iPhone Upgrade Programme is better. I do £18/m for my EE 20GB contract. iPhone 11 Pro 256 £63/m Total £81/m is cheaper than the £90+ I saw EE quoting me. Plus my deal comes with Apple care and when the iPhone 12 comes out, I take this one back and just swap it with Apple. Been doing this since iPhone 7 - 8 Plus - XS Max - 11 Pro. No upgrade fees. No interest. Just a new iPhone every year.

That’s my point your paying £81 for 20gb and change phone yearly, I’m paying £55 for 30gb max plan and doing it my way can change yearly. So I’m saving £26 and get more data and can actually sell my phone for £100 more than upgrade fee if sell privately so over the year my way is about £400 cheaper
toonsquirel15/09/2019 21:28

That’s my point your paying £81 for 20gb and change phone yearly, I’m payi …That’s my point your paying £81 for 20gb and change phone yearly, I’m paying £55 for 30gb max plan and doing it my way can change yearly. So I’m saving £26 and get more data and can actually sell my phone for £100 more than upgrade fee if sell privately so over the year my way is about £400 cheaper

But I rent my phone for 12 months so only ever pay half of its value. Upgrade programme is 20months interest free with early termination after 12 months to upgrade for the new device and start the process again.

As I say, been doing it for years now. Prefer it. Especially with devices over a grand now.
jf101015/09/2019 21:30

But I rent my phone for 12 months so only ever pay half of its value. …But I rent my phone for 12 months so only ever pay half of its value. Upgrade programme is 20months interest free with early termination after 12 months to upgrade for the new device and start the process again. As I say, been doing it for years now. Prefer it. Especially with devices over a grand now.

Wouldn’t you rather more data and save £400 per year and still get a new phone every year?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants