EE / Virgin / plus.net - Mobile Sim Cards 'Bricked' with Lloyds / TSB / Halifax banks

Found 21st May 2017
I'm on plus.net mobile and I am also with Lloyds bank. They have an automated call system to call and verify any new recipient / payment, where you enter a 4 digit pin over the phone after completing payment details online.

The problem I recently experienced was, I never received the call from Lloyds, for them it only reaches my voicemail. I know this because I end up with 3 new voicemails from Lloyds.

Anyway, the more serious issue here is, straight after the automated call is made, I am no longer able to receive calls from anybody else. I can continue to make outgoing calls, but any incoming calls or texts doesn't reach me. I tried turning phone on/off, switch from 4G to 3G to 2G, changed phone etc.

I just can't believe something like this is possible, where an automated call can screw-up or 'brick' the incoming part of my mobile calls. It looks like plus.net are aware of this issue, Virgin, who also uses the EE network, also appear to have customers experiencing the same problem.

See here:-
community.virginmedia.com/t5/…877

So for those who bank with Lloyds group and use EE. Do be wary of this. For me incoming calls to my mobile are very important to my employer and older members of my family, so it is absolutely crucial it works.

The only solution from plus.net is to order a new sim card, which does work, but then fails again after the Lloyds automated call (of course, if I realised this I wouldn't try). Ordering a new sim card now to try re-fix the problem.
Community Updates
16 Comments
odd. maybe ofcom can look into it?
Had noticed something like this with Lloyd's over the last couple of years. The first call from the automated system would always be an empty call, ie just a dial tone when answering the call. The call would then go to voicemail, even if answering within the first couple of seconds of the call. Then some strange going ons with the landline afterwards which is presumably linked. Never realised it was affecting other people too.
Edited by: "Benjimoron" 21st May 2017
An example of my thread about keeping fixed landline as a backup for calls hotukdeals.com/mis…550
Bizarre, used Lloyds and TSB for years and never had an issue with it. Are you Pay As You Go or PAYM? I guess you're Plusnet?
Issue has been mentioned a few times before on HUKD but nothing seems to have changed or improved. There's one mention towards the end of the opening post for the thread here: hotukdeals.com/dea…122
splender

An example of my thread about keeping fixed landline as a backup for … An example of my thread about keeping fixed landline as a backup for calls http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/fixed-line-connection-sytem-well-totally-internet-based-system-2690978

That justification would be a very expensive option in this specific instance, compared to a zero cost virtual geo landline (01, 02 prefix) from the likes of Sipgate that can be accessed via the OPs still functional celluar data or other available data source.
Other previous example where one apprarent "solution" was to remove and replace the SIM card: hotukdeals.com/tag…944
I had the same problem as OP during my first 2 weeks on iD Mobile, wasn't receiving Google authentication code or texts, I could make outbound calls though. Rang the customer support, the lady was trying to help but after taking my details and not getting anywhere said that she'll pass it on to the engineers. An hour later I received a text saying they've changed some things which "might have fixed the problem" and hallelujah its beeb working perfect since.
AndyRoyd

Other previous example where one apprarent "solution" was to remove and … Other previous example where one apprarent "solution" was to remove and replace the SIM card: http://www.hotukdeals.com/tag/ask/plusnet-mobile-halifax-help-2672936?p=30678944

​thanks Andy. it's ridiculous. My incoming calls are working again now, without a new replacement SIM, so there must be some timeout of some sort, and I'm also about 10 miles from home, so maybe that or different beacon/cell tower makes it work again?
Edited by: "Darude" 21st May 2017
deleted57959

I am on Virgin, I have Halifax used both as you mention in the OP for … I am on Virgin, I have Halifax used both as you mention in the OP for years with no issues ever..

​I have been using both for years too, I first encountered it about 2 months ago. So either EE or Lloyds must have changed something recently.
Yup, PAC tomorrow from Plusnet, they said 12-24hrs it would resolve itself. 80 hours later....

I just ordered the £8 IDmobile 2000m/5000txt/3GB with data rollover I just posted up (EE/Three share base stations so should have some coverage) unlimited/4GB for £10 is all very well IF it works! Save £2 but lose a GB but at least I have incoming calls and texts!
Edited by: "seaniboy" 22nd May 2017
deleted57959

There was a small period last year where, the verification phone call to … There was a small period last year where, the verification phone call to my mobile wouldnt ring and they then said they needed to send a letter with a code, which was a PITA that lasted for about 2 months, but nothign else.

I'm locked out my TSB account online banking, they can't reset except phone automatic or the letter way! Await iD Mobile sim and PAC then reset TSB who will then be able to call me!!
mani5001

I had the same problem as OP during my first 2 weeks on iD Mobile, wasn't … I had the same problem as OP during my first 2 weeks on iD Mobile, wasn't receiving Google authentication code or texts, I could make outbound calls though. Rang the customer support, the lady was trying to help but after taking my details and not getting anywhere said that she'll pass it on to the engineers. An hour later I received a text saying they've changed some things which "might have fixed the problem" and hallelujah its beeb working perfect since.

Any idea what they done ?
Darude

I have been using both for years too, I first encountered it about 2 … I have been using both for years too, I first encountered it about 2 months ago. So either EE or Lloyds must have changed something recently.

Plusnet said LBG banks & TSB changed to a shortcode phone number and that's the issue. When I questioned why EE/Plusnet has not updated to include Ofcom approved shortcodes I was met my silence then terrible rudeness it's my banks fault??
Edited by: "seaniboy" 27th May 2017
seaniboy

Any idea what they done ?

​Something might've gone wrong when I swapped numbers on the network, maybe a setting that they need to change?
Just confirming the same.
Plusnet sim and Lloyds automated calls really do brick your sim for incoming calls and texts.

After a replacement sim I foolishly set up a payment through TSB online banking and BAM! Back to square one. Replacement sim now stopped receiving. Waiting for third sim now but of course it's bank holiday :-(

Are BT mobile sims effected too?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants